• Please check out the review contest thread here vote for the best review and cast your vote for the best review to start 2020! winner gets a $50 gift card!
  • The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

    Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG is starting a new contest that will award $50 to the best review submitted within the next two weeks!!

    Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $14,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $14 Million dollars
  • We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Voucher cancellation

adk7972

Guest
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Dear all,

I am so happy I’ve found this forum ! :)
I hope you will be able to help me.

Long story short:
I am a European living in Europe.
On Sunday 12th if January, I was on the phone with an IHG agent who proposed me to “win” free holidays after answering a few questions.

I accepted it, and the agent redirected me to Holiday Inn Vacations Club.

The HIVC agent that I had on the phone proposed me to get 4 nights and 3 days for 249usd and after my first night in the hotel I would get my 249usd back. He also told me that I could cancel the offer an anytime and get my money back.

I seemed like a really good deal and trusted IHG. So I accepted it. After discussing with my partner, we agreed that we would not be able to go in the US in the short term. Hence I wrote them on the same day (12/01) that I would like to cancel it.

However yesterday (Monday 13/01) I received an email with my “voucher” and more details regarding the offer.

In the terms has the following sentences:
“ Reservations: Accommodations are subject to availability and may vary by season. Full pre-payment using a major credit card is required. Subject to any applicable statutory cancellation rights, this is a non-refundable, non-transferable advance purchase package. A $19.95 charge applies to each reservation change made after the initial purchase. Any change made within 72 hours prior to check-in or vacation no-shows will be charged a $99 penalty.”

Having not received any response from Holiday Inn Vacations Club, I also contacted IHG since they are the one who put me in touch with HIVC. IHG told me they would do their best to get a refund but that nothing was guaranteed.

Could you please help me find a way to get out of this and get my money back ?
Do I need to send a secured mail to the US to resign my voucher ?

Thanks in advance - I hope this message will also help other people facing the same issue than I am.
 

Tank

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2014
Messages
690
Reaction score
143
Points
153
Location
Northern Ohio
I loose $99 reservation fee's all the time for change of plans.

Count your blessings you found this web-sight

Best $99 you ever lost, you'll save thousands learning about timeshares here

Dave
 

adk7972

Guest
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Dave - Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

So you think I could limit the loss to $99?

So your recommendation would be to book an appointment and then to not show up ? Do you think they will reimburse me the difference ($249-$99 = $150) ?
 

Tank

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2014
Messages
690
Reaction score
143
Points
153
Location
Northern Ohio
I think they might reimburse you, if your lucky.
They would prefer to reschedule I'm sure. This promotion is to get you into a sales pitch. Most of us did this and bought in for thousands , THAN found TUG - to late

Dave
 

adk7972

Guest
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
1
They may charge me $99 more. :(

Let's see if someone else has a plan to help me get out of this. :(
 

Karen G

Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
8,888
Reaction score
872
Points
699
Location
Henderson, NV
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
So was $249 charged to your credit card when you spoke with someone on the phone initially? Can you dispute the charge with your credit card provider?
 

adk7972

Guest
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Karen, thanks for your answer. :)

Yes. The seller asked me my credit details and I was stupid enough to provide them. :(

I contacted my credit card provider. They told me that I needed to get a six digit confirmation number from the seller to cancel the order.
Otherwise I need to wait that the order is complete to launch a complaint.
I guess they will sue me and try to sell my house in case I cancel it, right?
 

Karen G

Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
8,888
Reaction score
872
Points
699
Location
Henderson, NV
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Karen, thanks for your answer. :)

Yes. The seller asked me my credit details and I was stupid enough to provide them. :(

I contacted my credit card provider. They told me that I needed to get a six digit confirmation number from the seller to cancel the order.
Otherwise I need to wait that the order is complete to launch a complaint.
I guess they will sue me and try to sell my house in case I cancel it, right?
Maybe credit card purchases are handled differently in Europe than the U.S., but I seriously doubt if a US-based business would sue someone in Europe over a $249 purchase. No one is going to sell your house either. Perhaps the charge has not cleared on your credit card and that's why you were advised to wait to launch a complaint or "dispute the charge" as we'd say in the US.

Maybe just give it some more time. Once the charge clears your account, dispute the charge.
 
Top