• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Voting while in quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
The Belize Prime Minister announced that anybody who tests positive for Covid is not allowed to vote in the National elections on Nov.11th. I guess they don't have proxy voting like we do in Canada (another commonwealth country) to allow the sick or hospitalized folk to vote. Can you imagine if that happened in the USA or Canada?

~Diane

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do they do in normal times? I realize this is a small island, small population. Don’t they have mail in votes? What if someone is in hospital, (not covid) what happens then? In this age of technology, looks like this country is behind the times!!!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do they do in normal times? I realize this is a small island, small population. Don’t they have mail in votes? What if someone is in hospital, (not covid) what happens then? In this age of technology, looks like this country is behind the times!!!
Seems political to throw stones like this. What happens to mail in voters or earlier voters who die before Election Days worldwide? Not as easy as you may think.

geekette

Reaction score
we don't have "any reason" mail in votes, so even in the US, we are not similar state to state. Only absentee I ever voted was when in school.

eta.... we do have early voting at city council building. has been going since early Oct, will expand to more locations on Oct 23rd, includes Saturday voting. While I don't need Sat voting, I'm glad it's there for those that do need it.

Last edited:

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, that article is not about the USA, but about Belize, and I am not throwing political stones. I made the comment and asked the poster if perhaps they knew. Please do not bring in your country just as I did not bring my country into this discussion.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, that article is not about the USA, but about Belize, and I am not throwing political stones. I made the comment and asked the poster if perhaps they knew. Please do not bring in your country just as I did not bring my country into this discussion.

Politics goes further then just your country or my country. Seems critical calling them behind the times.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who says everybody has to agree with all comments. I am sorry you do not agree with my comment. That is my opinion and you have yours.
There have been many threads on this forum whereby posters do not agree. That is the point of a discussion.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Firstly Belize isn't an island, it is attached to Mexico on the north and Guatemala on the west and south. Part of Belize (Ambergris Caye) is on a long peninsula off Mexico and many folk think it is an island. There are lots of islands off the coast of Belize, usually called cayes. The country is about the size of Massachusetts with a population of close to 400,000. Yes, they are quite behind the times in many aspects but they are a young and very poor country.

I am not aware of what has previously been done for those unable to vote in elections and the expats we know there are not aware of any special arrangements for the sick to vote. They said this is the first time they can remember an announcement like this being made, but the country has never been in lockdown like this before either. I just assumed that being a Commonwealth country like Canada that their election process would be similar, I guess it is just the structure that is the same.

We were in the country for the last municipal elections and found the process almost laughable. Candidates openly paid (cash in little brown envelopes) to folks for their vote. Candidates for Mayor seemed to be affiliated with one of the 2 national parties and they had crews painting the electrical poles to match their party colour during the weeks leading up to the election. Which ever candidates' crew got to the pole first was the colour it remained until it washed off weeks later. The day before the election all employees at City Hall were asked to remove all their personal belongings from the building. At the end of the day before elections the mayor locked up the City Hall and took the keys to the Police Chief for safe keeping until after the election. City Hall and all divisions of the municipal government were closed on election day. The mayor of the town we stay in (Corozal) was defeated and when the newly elected mayor got the keys from the Police Chief the morning after the election, and opened up City Hall, he found all the desks, chairs, computers, other machinery and many files missing! Of course nobody knew anything about the missing things. The new mayor appoints all new municipal staff and apparently went on a shopping spree to outfit City Hall from the businesses that supported him or his party.

~Diane

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
am1 - Let me make sure I have this right: When you defend a country, that isn't political, but when someone else critisizes it, then it is political. Nice double standard there, buddy! I know that you also live in a country that is [is not as modern as Canada or the US], but don't be so thinned skinned!

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
am1 - Let me make sure I have this right: When you defend a country, that isn't political, but when someone else critisizes it, then it is political. Nice double standard there, buddy! I know that you also live in a country that is behind the times, but don't be so thinned skinned!

Wow just wow. Talking about policies in regards to elections is political. Throwing stones at a country one feels is behind the times is just ignorant. Then there is your comment where you think where I live is behind the times which may or may not be true but you do not need to be judging it from your keyboard on a public forum. A lot could be said about where you live but the thread would be locked right away. Thanks for the double standard.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
am1 - I have noticed over the years, that any random comment that may somehow vaguely apply to you, gets your hackles up. I remember the time that I posted a funny story about my husband buying red fish instead of salsa, because he went shopping without his glasses. You immediately posted that I was saying that "husbands can't shop as well as wives, and that you were a good shopper." Clearly, because you live south of the border, you are talking offense about comments regarding Belize - where you don't even live. Lighten up!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
am1 - Take a timeout - you are waaaaay over reacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.