• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Voted today!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Fake ballot boxes seem like a very good way to disenfranchise an unsuspecting voter and to alter the integrity of the election process. I hope they can find the perpetrators of this crime and prosecute them to the full measure of the law. Glad we did early voting in person. If there are three fake ballot boxes in your town alone, how many are there nationwide? Scary! :eek:
Easiest way to verify is to only go to a drop off location that is listed in the instructions that came with the ballot (or listed on the local government's web site). Sad that there are those who are trying anything to stop people from voting.

Kurt

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
My husband dropped off our completed absentee ballots at our city hall earlier this week. He had our daughter's as well and had to complete special paperwork with our address, etc., confirming he was delivering on our behalf. If I remember correctly, a single person can only deliver 3 ballots. I've confirmed via the MN Secretary of State website that the ballots have been accepted and will be counted. Counting doesn't actually begin until later in the month.

The hardest part of voting was finding info on the school board and city council candidates. In previous elections there were town halls where the candidates would share more info and respond to questions. We had to find their websites, Facebook pages, Linkedin profiles, etc., to learn more about most of them. We're still a growing community and our school district covers a large area, so these jobs have a big impact.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We received our mail ballots yesterday. Oregon is all mail voting. Been that way forever. We completed the Ballots today, put the completed ballot into secretacy folder, put in envelope, signed back of the envelope, and will mail or drop off later today.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Got a Sample Ballot in the mail today, and my initial reaction...
Holy, crap. Besides the assorted lesser offices, we're facing:
-- 6 proposed amendments to the state constitution.
-- 7 proposed amendments to the county charter.
-- 4 proposed amendments to the city charter.

IOW, the powers that be (influential peep) won't leave well-enuff alone.
Now, we need to figure out if any of these changes are worth considering.
And, it's going to take a lot more time to fill out the ballot than usual.

Fortunately, we're retired.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How many of the propositions were put on your ballot by the petition of citizens, rather than the governing body? In our California Voter's Guide, this info is listed near the title of each proposition. We have 12 propositions, and all but 4 were put on the ballot by petition. I know this process varies from state to state.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How many of the propositions were put on your ballot by the petition of citizens, rather than the governing body? In our California voters guide, this info is listed near the title of each proposition. We have 12 propositions, and all but 4 were put on the ballot by petition. I know this process varies from state to state.
Oh how I miss the California voter guide. I was so surprised when we moved to New Mexico that we didn't get something like that. My bff who moved from California to Florida had the same reaction I did. Where is my voter guide????

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Colorado puts out a really good voter guide, and I appreciate the work put into it and how they do a good job to present the information in an impartial matter. That is one of my main sources of information I use when preparing my ballot.

Kurt

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Dropped off our ballots at the library - in the official boxes. ;) Feels great to have it off the to do list!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love how the story above says "ahead of the November election."
Um, the election is happening NOW.

More people have already early voted in NC (in only THREE DAYS) than populate each of eight states: MT, RI, DE, ND, SD, AK, VT, WY.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We plan to vote early, the poll is within walking distance to our house. We received a sample ballot which I will bring with me to assist me in my voting. Also bring my own pen.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
How many of the propositions were put on your ballot by the petition of citizens, rather than the governing body?

Of the 6 Florida constitutional amendments, 3 were by initiative and 3 from the legislature.
Local propositions are from governing bodies and charter review commissions (they meet every 10 years).
Issues range from serious (raising min. wage to $15/hr.) to mundane (renaming clerk of the commission to city clerk).

--------------------------------
BTW, we stick out on our street becuz we don't have a yard sign of any sort.
Just about all of our neighbors have signs, some stuck in trees. It's sign-city.
But no one drives this street who doesn't already live on it (and have a sign).
It's not that we're apathetic, we just don't see the point.

I'm sure we're being talked about.... "Weird. Maybe they don't vote..."

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We voted today.
The line at the library was lengthy... about like a Lowe's parking lot long.
They guy behind me wanted Cox to give out codes to block political ads.
I didn't say "Hire TUG moderators." ... Just to use the mute button.

The line moved quickly, and I was in and done in 30 minutes.
I asked for an "I showered" sticker, but the guy didn't see the humor.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what we are doing is nuts. In person voting before Campaigns are over doesn't make any sense to me. I think it would be better for In Person voting to be open for a 3 day period starting with Election Day. In addition under my plan all Mail In votes (which could be cast prior to Election Day) would have to be received by the end of this three day period. If we don't do something like this, it is possible we won't know the outcome for maybe weeks after Election Day...

George

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Well George, the issue is will the USPS be able to deliver within your 3 day window?

My mail was delivered at 7pm last night, all political mailers and Medicare supplement pitches.

I think its assumed that this year we won’t know the final outcome for weeks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well George, the issue is will the USPS be able to deliver within your 3 day window?

My suggestion was that only In Person votes would have to be cast during the 3 Day Election Day Window. Mail In Votes could be mailed before the 3 Day Window starts...

George

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My assumption was only In Person votes would have to be cast during the 3 Day Election Day Window. Mail In Votes could be mailed before the 3 Day Window starts...

George

George, when I was in the Navy and overseas, often my absentee ballot wasn't received until the day of the election, and sometimes not till long after. How would your three day mail-in votes thing work for people like me? You'd be excluding a lot of voters who deserve to be counted.

On another note: Do you think there are honestly undecided voters remaining, who really need to be convinced at this point, or during the next two weeks? How could anyone not have already made up their mind by now? Voting early spreads out the flood of last minute ballot handling, reduces voter suppression, gives greater assurance the ballot will be received in time, and counteracts the effects of political machinations by either side. I think it's a brilliant option, and I'm glad to be done with voting for this cycle. I'm sick and tired of every bit of it all.

To my mind, a better option would be to restrict political campaigning to the three-month period prior to election day, as they do in places like Great Britain. Force the elected officials to actually do the job they were elected to do, instead of them bailing out halfway through their term (or even earlier) so they can campaign endlessly for reelection.

Dave

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Voting is the the bedrock of democracy. We should make it as easy as possible to vote. Safeguards are easily installed with very few problems. Voting by mail or giving a longer timeframe to vote accomplishes that. Limiting the vote to in-person on one day (and a work day at that) disenfranchises some citizens. That is NOT acceptable. Limiting the number of polling places or drop off boxes, etc are all means towards voter suppression and every political figure advocating the above should be fired, IMNHO. Frankly, I've been voting by mail for years and I watch the rest of the country still trying to figure it out and shake my head. It's like being in a time warp and watching others using horse and buggies instead of cars.

In addition, what's the hurry? We want everything fast but, to quote the Rolling Stones, you can't always get what you want.. Transparency is key to a democracy. Making every effort to ensure that each voter feels their vote was counted and the election was fair is essential. That may take time. I still resent hearing Jimmy Carter's concession in the 1980 election on my way to the polls. Voting is too important to be rushed. Take the time to do it right and you won't end up fighting rumors and disgruntled voters in the future. (the 2000 election for instance). Originally, inauguration day wasn't until April, then March until 1937. If we have to wait to get it right, then that is what we do to protect democracy.

The campaigns go on way too long. Waiting another week or two isn't going to make any difference. If the candidates haven't made their case by October, too bad. I'm done and ready to move on. I like sending my vote in and ignoring the rest. That is especially true this year.

And finally, on a practical level, there are just too many of us around with too many different work schedules etc. We need more time to process the ballots, and to make sure there is time to fix any problems. Patience is a virtue more in this case than any others.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
George, when I was in the Navy and overseas, often my absentee ballot wasn't received until the day of the election, and sometimes not till long after. How would your three day mail-in votes thing work for people like me? You'd be excluding a lot of voters who deserve to be counted.

See my response to @SmithOp above. Mail in votes could be mailed before 3 Day Window starts...

George

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
If they would issue a filter for my tv after I vote to block any political ads. I would then vote ASAP.

As it is now, I have to rely on the mute button.

Last NFL game I had on, the same two local opposing candidates alternated the exact same two ads EVERY commercial break. Since I seldom watch the NFL anymore, seldom has now become never.

Cheers

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If they would issue a filter for my tv after I vote to block any political ads. I would then vote ASAP.

As it is now, I have to rely on the mute button.

Last NFL game I had on, the same two local opposing candidates alternated the exact same two ads EVERY commercial break. Since I seldom watch the NFL anymore, seldom has now become never.

Cheers

Since a lot of sports have been using canned crowd noise my TV has been on permanent mute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Oh how I miss the California voter guide. I was so surprised when we moved to New Mexico that we didn't get something like that. My bff who moved from California to Florida had the same reaction I did. Where is my voter guide????
In Maryland, I usually rely on the league of Women Voters, who put out guides for each county/district.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
My suggestion was that only In Person votes would have to be cast during the 3 Day Election Day Window. Mail In Votes could be mailed before the 3 Day Window starts...

George

A big problem with your suggestion George is staffing the polling locations. My DH volunteered this year and will be at the help desk at our nearby polling place from 5:30 am to 8:30pm with just two 45 minute breaks. Election day volunteers would need to triple for your proposed 3-day window!

Here in Ohio we have a four week window for early voting. But to do so one needs to head to their county Board of Elections, which is difficult for many residents who live in large-sized counties or in highly populated counties.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In Maryland, I usually rely on the league of Women Voters, who put out guides for each county/district.
Our League of Women Voters does as well. I was just so used to the booklet I'd get in California for every election. I don't know who put it out. It wasn't the League.