• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Viva club membership

Woodsey83

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Viva club membership
Hi guys, unfortunately had a feeling I’d been scammed with a Viva points membership and after doing some research it looks like I may have, was told all the high pressure sales chat and if we signed up today we would get 4 weeks free vacation to take when we like and they would upgrade us to VIP and black bands for more be if it’s while we are still here, which both swayed us to signing up.
We usually vacation with the kids over Christmas and school summer holidays but after reading the small print we can’t book over Xmas, new year or Easter or gold season and the black band be if it’s are not valid in the small print due to us making our initial booking via a tour operator, so the only be if it is that we don’t have to pay in the a la carte restaurant, which we don’t anyway .

After reading more and more tonight about Wyndham I want to cancel and forget about the whole thing, they have taken a down payment on my credit card who I have spoken to and they say I need to go back and ask for a refund but given the sales tactics I can see that’s not going to be straightforward.

I literally signed up 10 hours ago and have another week here at the resort , my question is has anyone been in this situation and managed to get it cancelled, if so how did you go about it?

Thank you for any help I’m so glad I came across this site sooner rather than later

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
Hi guys, unfortunately had a feeling I’d been scammed with a Viva points membership and after doing some research it looks like I may have, was told all the high pressure sales chat and if we signed up today we would get 4 weeks free vacation to take when we like and they would upgrade us to VIP and black bands for more be if it’s while we are still here, which both swayed us to signing up.
We usually vacation with the kids over Christmas and school summer holidays but after reading the small print we can’t book over Xmas, new year or Easter or gold season and the black band be if it’s are not valid in the small print due to us making our initial booking via a tour operator, so the only be if it is that we don’t have to pay in the a la carte restaurant, which we don’t anyway .

After reading more and more tonight about Wyndham I want to cancel and forget about the whole thing, they have taken a down payment on my credit card who I have spoken to and they say I need to go back and ask for a refund but given the sales tactics I can see that’s not going to be straightforward.

I literally signed up 10 hours ago and have another week here at the resort , my question is has anyone been in this situation and managed to get it cancelled, if so how did you go about it?

Thank you for any help I’m so glad I came across this site sooner rather than later

Follow the instructions on your contract precisely to rescind. If it’s via mail, make sure you send it certified return receipt for proof.

Get out now while you can!

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

I have never heard of Viva (but I haven't been to a presentation in several years now).

See the sticky at the top of this forum, too.

Woodsey83

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Viva club membership
So Iv emailed in to both the contacts I was given on the contract for membership management, had no acknowledgment so I decided to call back at the office, they say I have to wait till the boss is back in 3 days time and refused to give me any other details to email in too or the bosses email.
Also they have no cancellation policy it’s not possible they say and there is no cooling off period as we are bound to Panama law, I explained what we was sold is not what it says in the small print and again told them I want to cancel but they gave it the hard sell explaining many more options.

I’m feeling kind of stuck here, Iv contacted master card who they took the deposit with and explained it’s been miss sold but they say the money has to clear in there account before I have any options to dispute.

I guess I may have to suck it up

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel the credit card immediately. It may not have been processed.

Woodsey83

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Viva club membership
I
Cancel the credit card immediately. It may not have been processed.
tried this, contacted my card company and they said I can’t only dispute it once funds have cleared either way

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
I

tried this, contacted my card company and they said I can’t only dispute it once funds have cleared either way
When and Where did you buy? I'm not familiar with Club Viva, and I may not be alone. Recission timeline varies from state to state, country to country. Also, did you find the recission information in the contract? It's important that you find that and that you follow the instructions to the letter. See the link posted above by Sandi Bo. Many of us have bought and then had regrets with Wyndham. Undoing takes a short bit of time, but, if you follow the directions in a very timely manner, you can undo the purchase. Hopefully the Viva points purchase follow a recission process similar to that with Wyndham.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
If anything, it looks to be affiliated with Wyndham Hotels, not Club Wyndham/T+L.

Woodsey83

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Viva club membership
When and Where did you buy? I'm not familiar with Club Viva, and I may not be alone. Recission timeline varies from state to state, country to country. Also, did you find the recission information in the contract? It's important that you find that and that you follow the instructions to the letter. See the link posted above by Sandi Bo. Many of us have bought and then had regrets with Wyndham. Undoing takes a short bit of time, but, if you follow the directions in a very timely manner, you can undo the purchase. Hopefully the Viva points purchase follow a recission process similar to that with Wyndham.
I bought it at the hotel in Dominican Republic’s, they have told me there is no cancellation policy and they are bound by Panama law, and it can not be cancelled. They even said the only way it could be cancelled is if I died, I’m from the U.K. btw

It’s a points system and you use points against your stays at hotels across the Caribbean or any RCI Hotel only paying for the all inc fee on top. They gave us 4 weeks free holiday to take which they said can be used at anytime across the year but when I read the small print that was true, apart from Xmas, new year, Easter and school summer weeks!!

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Sales people lie. Go back to your purchase contract. I can't imagine there not being an escape clause. But, this is not Wyndham and not in the US, so who knows. Good Luck.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
CANCEL the credit. Tell them you lost it and don't need it anymore so you want it cancelled and close your account. Hopefully the charge hasn't cleared.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Here's a link to the Wyndham Viva Club member site benefits list: https://vivaresorts.club/benefits/

It's a legitimate vacation club focused on all-inclusive Wyndham vacation resorts (there aren't that many at this time - this is something Wyndham is trying to grow over time). That said, I'm sure the sales reps lie through their teeth and often set false expectations as to what you're actually buying into - just like any other timeshare or vacation club oriented sales pitches do. Since this is separate from the Club Wyndham timeshare system - as others have already said - read the contract and see what if any options are available for rescission and follow the rescission instructions to the letter.

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I inquired with Club Viva about the program. This was their response:

Good Morning

Thank you for your interest in our membership. The benefits we offer include the details below

Personalized check in and check out
Early Check in and Late check out (subject to availability)
Exclusive VIP areas for members only
Exclusive VIP Bar
VIP seating areas in all buffet restaurants
Privileged reservation access to a la carte restaurants
In Room Beach Towels
Upgraded bathroom Amenities
Exclusive Accommodations
Wi-Fi included
Mini Bar filled and replenish daily
Safety Box
Members discounts in shops, excursions, spa and car rentals on property.

Our memberships consist of a system of points starting from 5000 points per year to more than 100,000 annual points. Points cover your accommodation and the member only pay the all inclusive by hotel and seasonal with a preferential member discount rate

Our memberships are personalized. We try to adjust them as much as possible to the needs of the client for this reason they are not generic.

Memberships range start from 5000 dollars to 30000 dollars depending on the plan you make. They also range from 15 years to 30 years

If it is your interest I would like to direct you with our sales staff

Please let me know

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I bought it at the hotel in Dominican Republic’s, they have told me there is no cancellation policy and they are bound by Panama law, and it can not be cancelled. They even said the only way it could be cancelled is if I died, I’m from the U.K. btw

It’s a points system and you use points against your stays at hotels across the Caribbean or any RCI Hotel only paying for the all inc fee on top. They gave us 4 weeks free holiday to take which they said can be used at anytime across the year but when I read the small print that was true, apart from Xmas, new year, Easter and school summer weeks!!
Not all countries have laws obligating rescission for timeshares or vacation clubs. I would still mail something (registered with proof of mailing)ASAP and likely they will tell you rescission is not possible. You can attempt to dispute the charges on your card for fraud. This would work better if you have proof because you did sign something that includes the small print about how the club works. This is one of the reasons to never sign something without reading the contract in its entirety (and walking away if they won't let you) especially in a foreign country. If neither the rescission or the dispute work then cancel your credit card after the down payment and walk away and ignore the bills they send. Your deposit will be gone and you won't get it back. Alternatively keep paying and try to learn the system and get as much out of it as you can.

rys_88

Reaction score

Hello, were you able to cancel your membership? If so can you let me know the process! please! Currently in a similar situation with Viva Wyndham Maya.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hello, were you able to cancel your membership? If so can you let me know the process! please! Currently in a similar situation with Viva Wyndham Maya.
Viva wyndham Maya (assuming this is mexico) has a rescission period. It's 5 days. The OP purchased in DR. Did you just buy? If so then you are in luck. If you are beyond 5 days then you are out of luck.

rys_88

Reaction score
Viva wyndham Maya (assuming this is mexico) has a rescission period. It's 5 days. The OP purchased in DR. Did you just buy? If so then you are in luck. If you are beyond 5 days then you are out of luck.
Thank you for the response. Its been a few months. Since day one I’ve been contacting them about canceling & they mentioned my account was in hold from paying & to email them my reason for canceling & that there had to be a 3 month waiting period in case I decide not to cancel…should i just not pay? Can this affect my credit? Or can i go into collections? Sorry im new with all this :cry:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The law doesn't say they have to orally tell you about your rescission ability or how to exercise it. It just has to be included in your contract. It is just a fact that developers will try to mislead you about rescission and get you to miss your opportunity to exercise your right in writing as is required by the law. You did not rescind in writing within 5 days so that option is not available to you. The fact that you contacted them about cancelling and were mislead does not affect the missed deadline.

So your options at this point are to pay or to default on your contract. Not paying can affect your credit but most reports are that Mexican purchases will not effect your US credit. I think they can if they have offices in the US and pursue that line but conventional practice is that they don't. Same with collections. No guarantees but in all likelihood you won't face collections or have your credit affected. You probably should expect some threatening letters and/or phone calls if you decide to default or you might not even get that.

Reaction score
I also purchased membership in Mexico 2 days ago, and payed a downpayment. My contract says that it can be cancelled by company if I fail to comply with my obligations (if I stop paying); Same is with me cancelling the contact, in the case of confirmed non-complience from their end (meaning they don't provide what they said in contract). I read previously here that there are 5 days to cancel it. Is there a way for me to get out of it? Getting back my deposit, or even with losing that money?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
The law doesn't say they have to orally tell you about your rescission ability or how to exercise it. It just has to be included in your contract. It is just a fact that developers will try to mislead you about rescission and get you to miss your opportunity to exercise your right in writing as is required by the law. You did not rescind in writing within 5 days so that option is not available to you. The fact that you contacted them about cancelling and were mislead does not affect the missed deadline.

So your options at this point are to pay or to default on your contract. Not paying can affect your credit but most reports are that Mexican purchases will not effect your US credit. I think they can if they have offices in the US and pursue that line but conventional practice is that they don't. Same with collections. No guarantees but in all likelihood you won't face collections or have your credit affected. You probably should expect some threatening letters and/or phone calls if you decide to default or you might not even get that.
@tschwa2
I see you're well informed. Please my previous post and help me with the information if you can. Thank you.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
I also purchased membership in Mexico 2 days ago, and payed a downpayment. My contract says that it can be cancelled by company if I fail to comply with my obligations (if I stop paying); Same is with me cancelling the contact, in the case of confirmed non-complience from their end (meaning they don't provide what they said in contract). I read previously here that there are 5 days to cancel it. Is there a way for me to get out of it? Getting back my deposit, or even with losing that money?
Thanks in advance.
Somewhere in your contract there should be language about rescission. You need to read it, with a magnifying glass, to find it. Sometimes they give you a flash drive and stick it on the flash drive. Either way, try to find it there because if you don’t follow the instructions exactly they won’t process it.

Reaction score
Somewhere in your contract there should be language about rescission. You need to read it, with a magnifying glass, to find it. Sometimes they give you a flash drive and stick it on the flash drive. Either way, try to find it there because if you don’t follow the instructions exactly they won’t process it.
Thank you for your assistance. Regarding my contract's termination from my end, it initially stated that termination was not possible unless they failed to fulfill their duties. However, we were able to cancel it after persistent negotiation. Fortunately, we were still within the 5-day cooling-off period and within the resort, allowing us to terminate without penalties. Initially, they insisted we would lose our entire deposit. When we mentioned our legal rights and brought up PROFECO, their stance shifted. They then argued that what they provided during our vacation (membership bracelets) was worth more than our deposit. After extended negotiations, we finally received our deposit and the document confirming the membership termination. Overall, it was a challenging and arduous process to exit the contract. We had to remain persistent and continue advocating for our rights and money. There were numerous instances of misleading and dishonesty on their part, making our successful exit a relief. I hope my experience can assist someone in the future dealing with a similar situation.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your assistance. Regarding my contract's termination from my end, it initially stated that termination was not possible unless they failed to fulfill their duties. However, we were able to cancel it after persistent negotiation. Fortunately, we were still within the 5-day cooling-off period and within the resort, allowing us to terminate without penalties. Initially, they insisted we would lose our entire deposit. When we mentioned our legal rights and brought up PROFECO, their stance shifted. They then argued that what they provided during our vacation (membership bracelets) was worth more than our deposit. After extended negotiations, we finally received our deposit and the document confirming the membership termination. Overall, it was a challenging and arduous process to exit the contract. We had to remain persistent and continue advocating for our rights and money. There were numerous instances of misleading and dishonesty on their part, making our successful exit a relief. I hope my experience can assist someone in the future dealing with a similar situation.
They still may try to bill you rack rate for the purchase gifts and upgrades you received. Not the gifts for attending the presentation but if they upgraded your unit or gave you upgraded AI plans after the purchase.

chayen80

Reaction score
Were you able to cancel the contract during the recision period? I canceled ours via emails, but they said it’s invalid. I several emails, but no anwer. I only heard after the recision period. This is very frustrating.