• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vitamin Supplements -- yea or nea?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been a random, sporadic user of multi-vitamins for most of my life. Recently, I have been more intentional about daily plus others. Imagine my surprise when I discovered an article saying these pills could actually be harmful in the long run. I think my previous motto had been "can't hurt, might help".

Anyone out there who feels taking a daily multi-vitamin might be harmful to health?

Especially confusing since my doctor has suggested a rather high dose tablet of Vitamin D.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, I take vitamin supplements. I've been a big fan for years. My grandfather, who was a dentist, was into nutrition and vitamins long before it was popular. The general feeling is that he kept my grandmother alive much longer with his regimen of vitamins.

Since most of us don't get the required amount of certain nutrients through the foods we eat a supplement is a good idea. A few years ago my vitamin D level was low. My doctor recommended I take additional vitamin D. I did and the next year my level had gone up. But so had the recommended level. So I gave up trying to achieve whatever level was "in" that year and just continued to take the supplement.

Oh yes, my grandfather practiced dentistry into his late 70's and passed away in his 90's. He was hale and healthy up until the end. I think my grandmother's passing was what really did him in. He no longer had her to care for.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it will hurt. I also think if you take one with minerals that’s even better. Especially as we age.

just my opinion...;)

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Always check with your personal physician on this. I have, he recommends supplements and I am using them to boost/maintain my immune system. YMMV.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW & I have taken multivitamins for seniors every day for years.
We figure it might help with stuff we don't typically get enuff of
(i.e. potatassium), and wouldn't hurt, otherwise. Seems to work.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Yes. My wife and I take One a Day multi's ( gender specific) and a once a week a 50,000 iu vit d-3. Since March we have been using a 1/4 does of Echinacea and a 1/4 dose of Black Elderberry to boost our immune systems.

Our diet is pretty healthy, we exercise moderately, keep stress down and we maintain a decent weight which is more important than vitamins and supplements, imo.

Bill

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
There has been a buzz lately about Vitamin D3 providing some protection against COVID-19.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have been taking a daily vitamin for many years. I do not think it will hurt and may help. The evidence on vitamins is mixed. Obviously the best way to get vitamins and good nutrition is through eating vegetables and fruit.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I've been a random, sporadic user of multi-vitamins for most of my life. Recently, I have been more intentional about daily plus others. Imagine my surprise when I discovered an article saying these pills could actually be harmful in the long run. I think my previous motto had been "can't hurt, might help".

Anyone out there who feels taking a daily multi-vitamin might be harmful to health?

Especially confusing since my doctor has suggested a rather high dose tablet of Vitamin D.
Supplements have their place and can help lots but I only believe in taking supplements you need, not a multivitamin. Some supplements can cause more harm then good if you have too much of them in your system.

I paid for a blood test that insurances does not, to see my deficiencies. To my surprise I was borderline C. I rarely have citrus because it bothers my digestive system. Taking vitamin c made a gum bleed go away. I was deficient in certain B’s. Taking them made my dizziness go away.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
After i had a bad statin reaction about 4 years ago, I researched substitutes for taking statins. This led me to various vitamins.

There is serious evidence that Vitamin K-2 (the MK-7 long chain version), tended to block arteriosclerosis formation and actual possibly reverse it. Also the shorter chain version (MK-4), was shown to dramatically reduce osteoporosis fractures in a 4,000 woman trial in Japan (albeit at very high doses).

Does it work? <Shrug> All I know is that I did not take a baseline calcium score test, but after 6 months I took one, I scored in the 97% for having the least existing arteriosclerosis plaque for my age (62 at the time). Not bad for an obese male who doesn't exercise much.

My research also showed that Vitamin D3 acted synergisticly with K-2, so I added D3 at 1,000 IUC to the mix, before I took the calcium score.

So I kept researching. Statins lowered the CoQ-10 levels, so I added CoQ 10 to my regimen.

Well, I might as well go the whole hog. I added a B complex + Vitamin C pill.

Thar's where it stood until COVID-19 reared its ugly head. Lots more research. (Warren Buffet likes to read annual reports, I like to read molecular biology research. So sue. . . )

Vitamin D3 already was know to reduce incidence of Upper Respiratory Infections (reason not known). I looked up research on Vitamin D3. University of California San Diego (UCSD) has an Investigatory Drug permit from the FDA for research in D3. They had already determined that level up to at least 10,000 IUC/Day had no long term problems, and that people who were in the sun all day long, built blood levels of natural D3 much higher than currently recommended. Plus a study with 5,000 IUC/Day with early stage Prostate Cancer (Gleason 6 or lower) progressed at a much slower pace than a placebo control.

I uppped my D3 to 5,000 ICU/Day.

The research on COVID-19 is ongoing. So far, I added Zinc (@ 30 mg/day) as Zinc has been proven to reduce viral intracellular replication. To hopefully help the Zinc get into the cells, I added Quercetin @ 1000 Mg/Day (Less side effects than HCQ or EGCG, check for drug interactions).

I also bumped up my vitamin C intake by 1,000 Mg, for its anti-oxidant power.

Under consideration is N-Acetyl-Cysteine, another anti-oxidant that affect oxidation in a pathway that COVID-19 disrupts. Still thinking this one over.

THIS NOT A RECOMMENDATION TO TAKE ANY OF THESE. It's just what I'm doing, and why.

Yes, this costs money. So do timeshares. . .

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I take them. My holistic doctor recommends which ones based on bloodwork.

My sister is going through chemo treatments. She gets one every three weeks. First week is so tough she lives on couch and in bed. Then the next 2 weeks are progressively better. One of the things she’s supposed to take is folic acid. She was pacing her energy days while packing to move but daily was feeling sicker and sicker. Then she realized she had forgotten to take the folic acid. She really wasn’t convinced it was necessary as “it was only a supplement “. She began feeling better after catching up just one dose. Said she won’t forget that again.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently saw a certified functional medicine practitioner and take supplements based on blood work. By appearance I am a healthy 45 year old. Super low BP, pulse, marathon runner, never ill and on no medications, no medical conditions. Come to find out I am not digesting my food well. I am anemic, low B12, low zinc, low magnesium, low Vit D ( I live in FL) low RBC counts. I can honestly say seeing her was money well spent!!!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't take multi-vitamins but do take a Calcium + Vit D pill each day and Super B Complex twice a week. My blood work is always good. I hate taking supplements. My husband was taking daily multi-vitamin pills and his PCP asked him to stop. He is now also taking targeted supplements.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I periodically visit a holistic health doctor and he determines the supplements based on his readings of my bloodwork. I take food base supplements (Standard Process) because they are more natural and absorb better. There are some multivitamins which are very artificial. YMMV.

@Ralph Sir Edward NAC is great for many things. I take it when my allergies produce thick mucus in my lungs and I cannot cough productively. It does a wonderful job of thinning mucus. I also take NAC instead of cough medicine when I am sick for same reason. Very effective. Just don't take it with Tylenol because it will negate the benefit of Tylenol. Very good for cleansing your liver too.

Last edited:

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
I periodically visit a holistic health doctor and he determines the supplements based on his readings of my bloodwork. I take food base supplements (Standard Process) because they are more natural and absorb better. There are some multivitamins which are very artificial. YMMV.

@Ralph Sir Edward NAC is great for many things. I take it when my allergies produce thick mucus in my lungs and I cannot cough productively. It does a wonderful job of thinning mucus. I also take NAC instead of cough medicine when I am sick for same reason. Very effective. Just don't take it with Tylenol because it will negate the benefit of Tylenol. Very good for cleansing your liver too.
Pineapple juice is also helpful in relieving coughs. I find it also helps with the scratchy throat from allergies too.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I take 'em. My Doc knows. Like the old Jefferson Airplane song, "The pills your momma gives you don't do anything at all.' I dunno, but I take 'em.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't think multi-vitamins are harmful but have never taken them. I take small amounts of Vitamin D and B-12 on advice of my Doctor based on results of my annual lab tests. That's it for me...

George

geekette

Reaction score
I hate taking pills of any kind, avoid it as much as possible. But, "critically low" Vit D forced me into that supplement. Not sure how long I had that deficit nor how quickly that would return, so I might stay the course. These are at least little gel pills, not so hard to swallow.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Imagine my surprise when I discovered an article saying these pills could actually be harmful in the long run.
I have a lot of opinions on this statement. I've been a vitamin taker since I was in high school, granted rarely take a multi, but I take whatever I feel I am lacking in. We also run a functional health clinic and vitamins/minerals/herbs is a huge part of our business.

Yes, absolutely anything you ever put into your body "could" be harmful in the long run. You can google anything, even any type of food, and find "an article" that will be in favor of it and one that will be against it. It's like that anything including lotion, detergent, plastic water bottles, etc.

Your best defense is knowledge. Educate yourself about anything that you are going to ingest. Ask your doctor if what you are taking is okay for you to take. Vitamins are generally synthetically created in a lab in China. There are USA companies that put it all together and say that they are made in the USA, but the ingredients were purchased from China.

A high dose Vitamin D is not the same thing as a multivitamin. Can a multivitamin be bad for you? That depends on your underlying health issues. Generally speaking, it is not harmful. Your doctor who knows your health history will know if it's good for you or benign or harmful.

If you want to know more about Vitamin D, look up the studies on the Nation Institute of Health's website. There are many studies for all kinds of conditions including how it helps the immune system, cancer, skin and more. https://search.nih.gov/search?utf8=✓&affiliate=nih&query=vitamin+d&commit=Search
Remember, knowledge is power and you know yourself better than anyone else does.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Many multi-vitamins contain trace minerals as well as vitamins. The One a Day has 100% of the zinc, selenium, magnesium and others trace minerals along with many vitamins all in one dose.

Back in the day I took NAC before work outs. I couldn't tell if it really helped. Supposedly, NAC reduces inflammation from tearing muscles down, and it probably does, but I couldn't feel any difference.

Bill

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've taken vitamin E for years (we eat little seafood) after my family Dr. suggested it. A short time after I started my dental assistant and then dentist each asked what I was doing because my gums looked so healthy. I also take vitamin D suggested by my internist and get tested yearly for my calcium levels. I take a multi vitamin which my 3-4 Dr's and Dentist tell me to keep taking. They all are aware of my prescribed medicines which I take for blood pressure,cholesterol, and a hiatal hernia.
The one thing besides these that I take when starting to feel a cold coming on is something with zinc in it. The zinc seems to get rid of symptoms and let me fight the cold pretty easily. This is just how I feel about it as I don't know what zinc actually does but I know it works for me even if only my mindset. I also get a flu shot yearly.
I have now been retired starting in May of 2013 and railroad even get a start of a cold. I worked 43 years with missing only 2-3 days and that was in my last 3 years at work. Didn't miss any time in first 40 years.
Oh, I started the vit E almost 35 years ago when that same family Dr. sent me because of heartburn which turned out to be the hiatal hernia.
Bart

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The supplements I know help me are B2 (taken for 30+ years for migraines) and cranberry supplements (started 10 years ago when I started to have regular UTIs, haven't had an issue since starting taking the tablets daily). Dentist recommended D3 at the end of last year. I immediately realized I couldn't take it at night because it kept me awake. Changed to the morning, but still had regular nights where I'd sleep for three hours then be awake for two reading, so I gave up on it. Happened to find a decent sized tablet of CVS Vit C in March, so that is now on my twice a day routine.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Pineapple juice is also helpful in relieving coughs. I find it also helps with the scratchy throat from allergies too.
When I have my woodworking cloths on, a can of beer helps with the scratchy throat from the wood dust.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Are multivitamins harmful?" That depends ... read the label and see what's in it. For most people, eating a healthy diet, avoiding bad fats, excess sodium and sugar and getting regular exercise is really all that's needed to avoid taking multivitamins. But food allergies and digestive and immune issues come into play for some people. So, blood testing will tell the story. If your doctor is recommending a vitamin D supplement, check your blood work to see if your vitamin D level is low. If you have a deficiency, the doctor may be prescribing a high dosage for a short time-frame to build levels quickly. Your blood levels should be monitored during the period of high dosage use. It's very unlikely for vitamin D to build to toxic levels by multivitamin usage. Bottom line, talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Especially with a some rum in it, preferably Cruzan (from St. Croix).