• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Villages refurb question

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a timeshare owner but not with Sheraton/Marriott and am hoping to get some insight.

I have a reservation at SVV in March using Bonvoy points - when it is likely going to be close to capacity. I have been looking at reviews on TripAdvisor, and i am used to ignoring bad reviews from people who are not used to timeshares/crowds/lack of full service. But lately there have been a lot of really bad reviews based on unit condition that also seem to relate to Bonvoy stays - many making reference to the units in Bella.

My reservation is for a smaller (not premium) 1br with a balcony. I found the Vistana sight below that shows unit layouts - and if it is correct then:
- Bella smaller 1br units do NOT have a balcony
- Key West smaller 1br units do NOT have a balcony
- Amelia smaller 1br units have some units with a balcony and some do NOT
- St Augustine smaller 1br units DO have a balcony

So i am hoping for input on whether or not there are some units well behind on refurbs, and also if my unit type could steer me away from those. I have wanted to visit this place for a while but am wondering if I would be wise to make other plans - since Bonvoy reservation requests would fall after owner reservation requests (as it should be).

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Hi there! The only phase I would avoid is Bella (buildings 1-11). The villas are awaiting a full-blown renovation and are very tired (this is the original phase with the first buildings opening in 2000). Key West, Amelia, and St. Augustine are all pretty modern, with Amelia and St. Augustine being refurbished most recently (but Key West villas are quite nice as well). Considering you'd be totally fine in 3/4 phases, I pesonally don't think you need to change to another resort. I would just call several times before your stay to note your preference, and if upon check-in you were placed in Bella, just asked to be moved and hopefully they can accommodate you.

Technically, every phase has one-bedroom villas with balconies, but St. Augustine is the only phase where every one-bedroom villa has a balcony. What Vistana's website doesn't show is that there is another type of small one-bedroom villa (shotgun style) that is not connected to another villa and has a small balcony:

7472186.jpeg

These villas exist in every phase/section of the resort, which unfortunately doesn't narrow down the options of where your villa will be placed.

If you're not super picky on phase (other than not wanting a dated villa in Bella), I would make the request as simple as any phase excluding Bella. Hopefully they can accommodate that simple request. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions! It's a lovely resort, and I think you'll enjoy it.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response! I really do want to stay at this resort - I am a pool snob (water features) and the main pool looks amazing. I am hoping the onsite restaurants are decent as I really want to stay onsite, veg, and celebrate the end of winter .....

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The on-site restaurant is pretty basic. Just your regular pool bar and grill. They have a marketplace with sandwiches and such. If you are so inclined there are a number of restaurants about a half mile away at the publics plaza. Benihana is even closer.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I'd say the on-site food facilities are in the upper tier in the MVC world. Granted not saying much, but we were happy with what we got there. Agreed that there are many better options close by.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd say the on-site food facilities are in the upper tier in the MVC world. Granted not saying much, but we were happy with what we got there. Agreed that there are many better options close by.

Good to know. Its a short visit so we may only go out to eat once.

We have been to Grande Vista before and were really disappointed in their food (other than the upscale onsite restaurant where the golf clubhouse is).

Last edited:

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Thank you so much for the response! I really do want to stay at this resort - I am a pool snob (water features) and the main pool looks amazing. I am hoping the onsite restaurants are decent as I really want to stay onsite, veg, and celebrate the end of winter .....
Of course! Yes, they have great pools! Perhaps request St. Augustine or Amelia then, so that you will be closer to the main pool/restaurant but not in the Bella phase.

I haven't eaten there in a while, but I would echo the above comments that the offerings aren't spectacular, unfortunately. You can also try UberEats/DoorDash if you'd like to stay in and relax but have some different food offerings.