• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Villages or Vistana Resort - Chance of getting a bad 2BR

Nahanni

Reaction score
We are looking at booking a 2BR at one of these resorts through a travel wholesaler. I'm thinking the resort may assign a less desirable room so I'm wondering where I am more likely to get one that's not in good shape?

Thanks.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The older of the two resorts, Sheraton Vistana Resort, has been completely remodeled over the last year or so. Sheraon Vistana Villages is a new enough resort that any of the areas would be a nice enough place to stay. If you're doing a lot of Disney on your vacation, the Sheraton Vistana Resort is an ideal and very close location.

Nahanni

Reaction score
The older of the two resorts, Sheraton Vistana Resort, has been completely remodeled over the last year or so. Sheraon Vistana Villages is a new enough resort that any of the areas would be a nice enough place to stay. If you're doing a lot of Disney on your vacation, the Sheraton Vistana Resort is an ideal and very close location.

Thanks for the feedback. I read one unflattering review of a SVV Amelia unit from 2010, hopefully an anomaly that has been addressed.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We stayed in one of the oldest units at Vistana Villages, and it was really, really nice. My stepdad was so pleased with his first experience staying at a timeshare with us.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you consider bad? They are very similar, amenity wise. I am at Vistana Villages this week. The only thing I can see that may be a problem is that they are doing construction on the lot next to the resort. (Different company, I believe.) I haven't heard anything, but perhaps the building directly next to the fence might have an issue. The Resort is closer to Disney, but the Villages are probably only a mile or two further away, and it very easy drive (less than a mile?) to SeaWorld. I haven't had any trouble parking right outside the building yet.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you consider bad? They are very similar, amenity wise. I am at Vistana Villages this week. The only thing I can see that may be a problem is that they are doing construction on the lot next to the resort. (Different company, I believe.) I haven't heard anything, but perhaps the building directly next to the fence might have an issue. The Resort is closer to Disney, but the Villages are probably only a mile or two further away, and it very easy drive (less than a mile?) to SeaWorld. I haven't had any trouble parking right outside the building yet.

Are the barbeque grills working at VV? We've stayed at VV several years in a row in May and last year it was hard to find one that worked. We're staying at VR for the first time this May and are looking forward to it. VR is a lot closer to Disney but both resorts are well located.

Nahanni

Reaction score
What would you consider bad?

Just don't want to get a run down room .......because I'm taking the in-laws off-site for the first time (we are DVC but used our 2012 points in March before they said they would like to vacation with grandchildren this summer). From what I'm reading this should not be an issue so we went ahead a booked Vistana Villages.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are at Vistana Villages right now. Our unit in the Key West village is a bit on the small side but in top condition. I've seen lots of people at the BBQ grills so they must be working. The resort is pretty crowded. A bunch of 5 story buildings in a small area makes for high density. The main pool was packed yesterday with no chairs available.

Deb

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've never stayed in the Key West section but everyone seems to like it. We've stayed in Amelia before St. Augustine was completed and in St. Augustine since it was finished. Both of those sections are very very nice and we love the pools (especially the main pool and adult pool and hot tubs, which are open until 1:00 a.m.). Our only complaint was that the barbeque grills around St. Augustine and even the Bella ones on the St. Augustine side didn't work. Basically, they didn't maintain them. Not sure they had this problem in KW but I hope they've solved the problem.

I don't think you can go wrong staying at either VV or VR.

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the barbeque grills working at VV? We've stayed at VV several years in a row in May and last year it was hard to find one that worked. We're staying at VR for the first time this May and are looking forward to it. VR is a lot closer to Disney but both resorts are well located.

Two summers ago I stayed at one of the first sections that had been redone. The BBQ Grills were charcoal. Not sure if they have been replaced since. If not, make sure you buy your charcoal off property as they were charging $20.00 for a small bag

Antonio 8069

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
SVR vs. SVV

IF you want more space for the in-laws, SVR is your best option.

You can also avoid stairs/elevators by requesting a unit on the ground level.

As others have said, all of the units have been renovated. Not sure what you mean by a "bad" unit, but having just returned from an II exchange in PR, I can tell you the standards @ SVR are much, much higher!

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two summers ago I stayed at one of the first sections that had been redone. The BBQ Grills were charcoal. Not sure if they have been replaced since. If not, make sure you buy your charcoal off property as they were charging $20.00 for a small bag

June of 2012 they were all gas, and it was a struggle to find one that would light at all.

Back to the original issue - we stayed in Amelia once, and I thought it seemed a bit cut-off from everything else. I'd rather be closer to a pool. However, for some people, not hearing a crowd in a pool all day might be a bonus. We've stayed in every section except Key West, but we still walk over there regularly because I like that fitness center. All sections are nice.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
June of 2012 they were all gas, and it was a struggle to find one that would light at all.

I came back to report the same thing. The grills are all gas now. I've seen quite a few in use and saw an employee cleaning them today. It appears the maintenance has improved.

Deb

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed a few people using the grills today around the main pool. I haven't had an issue finding pool chairs around the main and quiet pool during the late afternoon, early evening hours. The high pressure timeshare tours haven't been as bad as they were a couple years ago, either. (Maybe it is because they found out I was traveling without my DH, so I am I eligible for an owners' update.) My only issue is that I haven't had good cell service in the unit. It has been strong enough to connect to the internet on the back porch some evenings, but not all. Cleanliness and upkeep have been great in the unit I have.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear they are now cleaning and maintaining the gas grills. That was the only complaint I ever had with VV.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
We have stayed in Key West twice and I love the quiet. I'm also from Florida, so the "real Florida" view out my back windows is nice to me. (Others might consider it ugly scrub.) Cell service with AT&T is bad at the resort but better with Verizon. There are elevators at that resort so the grandparents shouldn't have much problem getting around.