• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana sales email re: Marriott merge

512damon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willow
I receive the below email last week, and I am considering taking the call to find out about any concrete merger plans. Obviously I know an upsell is going to be part of the pitch, but curious if anyone has more information they can share to help me prepare for the call. FYI I have a even year deeded 2BR Lockoff at Westin Desert Willow.

———————

Damon,

As we continue to move closer to a new product combined with Marriott, there is a very limited opportunity to own more priority time at your home resort to book at the 12 month booking mark. If this is important to you and you would like to explore options of adding and/ or modifying your ownership (such as moving to ocean front inventory) or would like to review some general information on your account and the upcoming merger, please let me know the best time to reach you. Please get back to me no later than 22nd before the option price is removed from your account !

[redacted]
Corporate Direct Sales
VISTANA DIRECT SALES

Last edited by a moderator:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Sounds like a concrete invitation to buy with all of the current rules in place with zero indications or promises about potential changes.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I receive the below email last week, and I am considering taking the call to find out about any concrete merger plans. Obviously I know an upsell is going to be part of the pitch, but curious if anyone has more information they can share to help me prepare for the call. FYI I have a even year deeded 2BR Lockoff at Westin Desert Willow.

———————

Damon,

As we continue to move closer to a new product combined with Marriott, there is a very limited opportunity to own more priority time at your home resort to book at the 12 month booking mark. If this is important to you and you would like to explore options of adding and/ or modifying your ownership (such as moving to ocean front inventory) or would like to review some general information on your account and the upcoming merger, please let me know the best time to reach you. Please get back to me no later than 22nd before the option price is removed from your account !

Thomas DeMarco
Corporate Direct Sales
VISTANA DIRECT SALES
There really isn't any more information than what your email already offers. We know there will be a combined product coming. They are working on it with an anticipated release date sometime in the first half of 2022. You can go back through the forum, there are already many threads on the topic. Any promises made for current sales apply to the program as it is now with no guranty anything you buy now won't require you to buy more later to get in on the new product.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
That email seems pretty desperate. I wonder how sales is doing in general.

michael13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was given the same information during a presentation last week. The sales said the merge will happen at 2022 Q2.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I was given the same information during a presentation last week. The sales said the merge will happen at 2022 Q2.
Ho hum. The merger has been imminent for years.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That email seems pretty desperate. I wonder how sales is doing in general.
According to their 3rd quarter sales, they are only 3% below 2019 numbers with only 85% of sales staff. Sales seem to be pretty good.

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - i went through my owners update today and was told the merger would be effective in April 2022

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
According to their 3rd quarter sales, they are only 3% below 2019 numbers with only 85% of sales staff. Sales seem to be pretty good.

Sales are *always* good. In general, it’s been excellent for decades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
I was at the Sheraton Kauai recently, and I went to one of the sales presentations because they said that they would share info on the Marriott merger. They gave me the attached flyer on the Marriott properties that will be added to the collection. They said this would happen in August, but they had no information on how it would work, what the value of Star Options would be relative to Marriott points, and so on. Their sales pitch centered around the idea that if I bought another chunk of Star Options from them, they'd grant me amnesty for the points I bought on the resale market. They couldn't really explain why this was needed, but they kept saying that this was my only chance to do this before the Marriott properties entered the mix. Anyway, I thought I'd share this with the group--maybe someone else knows how this will work.

Attachments

• Vistana + Marriott.pdf
    766.3 KB · Views: 156

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
That’s not a new file. It basically lists the Vistana resorts under the MVW umbrella.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I was at the Sheraton Kauai recently, and I went to one of the sales presentations because they said that they would share info on the Marriott merger. They gave me the attached flyer on the Marriott properties that will be added to the collection. They said this would happen in August, but they had no information on how it would work, what the value of Star Options would be relative to Marriott points, and so on. Their sales pitch centered around the idea that if I bought another chunk of Star Options from them, they'd grant me amnesty for the points I bought on the resale market. They couldn't really explain why this was needed, but they kept saying that this was my only chance to do this before the Marriott properties entered the mix. Anyway, I thought I'd share this with the group--maybe someone else knows how this will work.

While not 100% confirmed, resale purchases, including those that come with StarOptions, are not likely to be able to convert to DC points and exchange into the Marriott properties (except via II). It sounds like they offered a deal that would “retro” your resale and make it like a developer purchase, probably allowing it full participation in its ability to exchange via Marriott DC points. Depending on your circumstances, this may be a good deal. They say it’s the last chance, but we don’t know. What we do know is that MVC charges more to do the same type of enrollment of resales, so maybe it is the last time at these prices. (But maybe not). But the fact is that they have NOT announced official details yet, so taking any action now is a bit speculative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhylisD

TUG Member
Reaction score
l also went through the presentation at the Sheraton Kaui. I can't remember all the details but it's some kind of shared program where you turn you points in and no longer own exclusively at the Westin which will allow you to book 12 months out. They try to scare you with there is going to be so much competition when the merger happens that you will have a hard time booking your home resort. The last words he said to me were don't let Westin convince you to keep your points there. It sounds like a disaster.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They say that the ability to retro is going to go away but I find that hard to believe. Fear of missing out is a classic sales tactic. Those type of transactions bring in new sales from an existing owner. The minimum developer buy amounts to retro and rules may change but I can not imagine it being eliminated all together.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They say that the ability to retro is going to go away but I find that hard to believe. Fear of missing out is a classic sales tactic. Those type of transactions bring in new sales from an existing owner. The minimum developer buy amounts to retro and rules may change but I can not imagine it being eliminated all together.
Marriott has a similar retro style program on their side, so I would agree. It won't go away. Keep in mind that Marriott's program cost about three times that of the current retro offering of $10K with Vistana. This really should be how Vistana sales sells retro, not simply saying it will go away.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Vistana always has something new to sell. People are being asked to turn in mandatory options for flex options. That is the newest spiel. Don't fall for it. Keep what you own and don't fall for the sales' spiel.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Marriott has a similar retro style program on their side, so I would agree. It won't go away. Keep in mind that Marriott's program cost about three times that of the current retro offering of $10K with Vistana. This really should be how Vistana sales sells retro, not simply saying it will go away.

What do you get with the current retro program for $10,000? Do you get both star options and they let you enroll your week? If so, do you know how many SOs you get in this deal? It it one of their flex programs?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do you get with the current retro program for $10,000? Do you get both star options and they let you enroll your week? If so, do you know how many SOs you get in this deal? It it one of their flex programs?

Depends on what you buy and where you buy. Some sales centers can sell everything. Others can not and will sell only Flex. They often have deeded weeks that they’ve acquired via foreclosure, ROFR (if applicable) or trade in, but you’ll have to proactively ask what they have. For example, WKORV OF deeded view would be resold because those don’t go in Flex and they sell those for $100k+.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Vistana always has something new to sell. People are being asked to turn in mandatory options for flex options. That is the newest spiel. Don't fall for it. Keep what you own and don't fall for the sales' spiel.

We got that angle at an Orlando sales pitch. After bragging about what a great salesperson he was and all the awards he won, he looked at our portfolio and said it was "perfect - exactly what I would have done, but with one minor exception". Then he suggested we should trade in one of our WKV deeds for Westin Flex (get credit for the WKV retail price). He proceeded to list a bunch of benefits of Flex and why booking at 8 months was unreliable and will only get worse over time. When I said that I would never do that because our maintenance fees for those 148.1K SOs would almost double, he said I was totally wrong and that MFs would actually go down. Then he left to "get the paperwork" to show us that great deal, (presumably had a coffee and chatted with his friends), an came back after 45 minutes and said I was actually right... :rolleyes:

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
They may try to get you to trade in, but my experience is that any purchase for $10k or more can do a retro without trading in. Trading in is a good way to get rid of a mistake, but a bad idea for a good week. If you want to make a minimum investment to retro, buying $10k of Flex points is about the only option as any deeded week will be more. The Flex points make a nice way to extend a week a few days.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
They may try to get you to trade in, but my experience is that any purchase for $10k or more can do a retro without trading in. Trading in is a good way to get rid of a mistake, but a bad idea for a good week. If you want to make a minimum investment to retro, buying $10k of Flex points is about the only option as any deeded week will be more. The Flex points make a nice way to extend a week a few days.

How many flex points do you get for $10,000 if you retro your week?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That might depend on which flex program you purchase. I was offered a retro that was 44000 options EOY for $10000

I was told SOs convert at a 23:1 ratio (I think that is what I heard). So 44,000 options would be about 1900 DPs EOY. So if we assume 950 DPs annualized, it is about $10 pp. What is the maintenance fee on 44,000 options?