• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana resorts for summer vacationing in Colorado

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering going to Colorado in early July. I am not familiar with the area at all. All the resorts there look nice. Any opinions on the three Steamboat resorts: Lakeside Terrace at Mountain Vista, Sheraton Mountain Vista and Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas?

Also, which location is better for summer hiking and outdoor exploration? Avon (Westin Riverfront) or Steamboat Springs? It would be just my wife and I, and we're healthy and active. No mobility restrictions.

I may just end up going to both locations, but I'm not sure how much time to plan for each. We had planned to go to Maui in October, but we've been there every year for 20 years so decided to venture elsewhere this summer instead.

DTD1990

Reaction score
There is only one Vistana resort in Steamboat - the Sheraton Steamboat Springs.

There are three Vistana resorts in Avon (Beaver Creek/Vail area) - Westin Riverfront, Sheraton Mountain Vista and Sheraton Lakeside Terrace.

I have stayed at all, but the Sheraton Mountain Vista. The nicest in Avon is the Westin Riverfront by far. I also think for summer activities the Beaver Creek/Vail area has more options then Steamboat. I understand that the Sheraton Mountain Villas have no AC, so that is a consideration in the summer. Lakeside Terrace was a separate timeshare brought into the Vistana system later. It's fine, but nothing special. It has no amenities like the Westin or the Sheraton, but you can use the Sheraton's amenities as it is located next door

We ski every year at the Sheraton Steamboat, which is also very nice . Steamboat has a nice small town and many restaurants nearby. You would have fun here in the summer, I just personally think that the Vail/Beaver Creek area has more to choose from for summer activities plus it is a much shorter drive from Denver International.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I had the location of the Mountain Vista/Lakeside Terrace resorts wrong. That makes it easy. I would want to stay at the Westin Riverfront in Avon and then the Sheraton Steamboat resort, if I end up going to both locations.

I'm actually considering driving all the way from Texas with overnight stops(s) along the way. I usually fly everywhere, but I have extra time and have not seen the countryside going to Colorado. I considered flying my Cessna, but I'm not comfortable with mountain weather and mountain flying. Maybe I'll change my mind after this visit.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
We've been to the Westin in Avon a couple of times in the Summer. It's hot and dry but great location with lots of things to do for non-skiers like us. Would be happy to go back there...

Our last trip we went to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park at concierge recommendation and kids and adults all loved it. We also did a white water rafting adventure booked through hotel concierge which was lots of fun.

We're looking at going again next summer but would like to try out the Ritz Carlton Club in Vail via the Marriott system. Hopefully they don't extend the next school year due to covid closures because that will pretty much kill that plan...

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
That park looks interesting. I'll have to check it out!

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
That park looks interesting. I'll have to check it out!

It was definitely lots of fun for us 3 years ago. Not sure how fun it is if they make you wear a mask all day in the summer heat, but that's life these days...

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
We've been to the Westin in Avon a couple of times in the Summer. It's hot and dry but great location with lots of things to do for non-skiers like us. Would be happy to go back there...

Our last trip we went to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park at concierge recommendation and kids and adults all loved it. We also did a white water rafting adventure booked through hotel concierge which was lots of fun.

We're looking at going again next summer but would like to try out the Ritz Carlton Club in Vail via the Marriott system. Hopefully they don't extend the next school year due to covid closures because that will pretty much kill that plan...
We have stayed at the Ritz Vail & Ritz Aspen and although we like the Ritz Aspen [rooms] more we prefer the Vail area with closer proximity to Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Denver. Have also stayed at the Hyatt in Avon which was also very nice.
Have a 3BR booked at the Ritz Vail Jul 19th and hope things are at least partially open by then.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called the Westin Riverfront a couple of days ago, and they had opened that day (I think it was Monday). They said things were pretty much fully open in the area. I think Steamboat was supposed to open on June 15.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Estes Park is a lot better summer destination in Colorado. It's adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park which I think is one of the best in the national park system. There's a lot more to do in RMNP than any other Colorado location during the summer.

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the Ritz Vail & Ritz Aspen and although we like the Ritz Aspen [rooms] more we prefer the Vail area with closer proximity to Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Denver. Have also stayed at the Hyatt in Avon which was also very nice.
Have a 3BR booked at the Ritz Vail Jul 19th and hope things are at least partially open by then.
We are in a 3 bdr at the Ritz Vail now. It is open with limited offerings. No housekeeping, cookies, and coffee. You can eat-in the bar with a limited menu. It is a spectacular place and the rooms are some of the nicest I have ever seen. I hope we can come back when things are normal.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have lived in Colorado most of my 65 years, and I think Steamboat Springs is gorgeous and a great place for all of the adventures you could want. But I would stay a week there and a week in Vail or Avon, if you are sure you want to stay in the Vistana system. The Sheraton in Steamboat is a fantastic property. My daughter-in-law loves that place more than any other for a vacation.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
We are in a 3 bdr at the Ritz Vail now. It is open with limited offerings. No housekeeping, cookies, and coffee. You can eat-in the bar with a limited menu. It is a spectacular place and the rooms are some of the nicest I have ever seen. I hope we can come back when things are normal.
Thank you Ann.

Haven't yet canceled our 3BR at the Ritz Vail for Jul 19th 2020.
Have also booked a 4BR for Aug 1st 2021 hoping things are much better next year.

Last edited:

dspring

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be staying at the Sheraton Steamboat Springs in Sept and am try to decide whether to stay in a studio or mountainside studio. It looks like the mountainside studio has two queen beds where the studio has a king and a couch. Mountainside sounds like better views but not sure if we want two queens. Any thoughts?

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I’d pick the regular studio. Save points and get King bed.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I'm considering going to Colorado in early July. I am not familiar with the area at all. All the resorts there look nice. Any opinions on the three Steamboat resorts: Lakeside Terrace at Mountain Vista, Sheraton Mountain Vista and Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas?

Also, which location is better for summer hiking and outdoor exploration? Avon (Westin Riverfront) or Steamboat Springs? It would be just my wife and I, and we're healthy and active. No mobility restrictions.

I may just end up going to both locations, but I'm not sure how much time to plan for each. We had planned to go to Maui in October, but we've been there every year for 20 years so decided to venture elsewhere this summer instead.

Since it is now early July, what was your decision?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided I wanted to go to the Westin Riverfront for several weeks with a side trip to Steamboat for a week. Unfortunately, I waited a week and that was too long. There were no reservations available for my timeframe. Even August was sold out.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I decided I wanted to go to the Westin Riverfront for several weeks with a side trip to Steamboat for a week. Unfortunately, I waited a week and that was too long. There were no reservations available for my timeframe. Even August was sold out.

I just cancelled 10 days beginning July 15 at Westin Riverfront.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know, but I'm now looking at going somewhere in August. I would like to stay 3 weeks to make the 16 hour drive worthwhile. I may yet decide to go to Maui in October, as I originally planned to go to my home resort, if their testing program works out. We'll see. Fortunately, I have some flexibility.