• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Presentation

crisby

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at our Cascades villa in October/07. We own one every year and one EOY there.

We are considering transferring one of the units (EY) to Star-Options and keeping the EOY as a weeks unit.

If we attend the "presentation" while we are there, will we be able to talk about this, or are they just going to want to talk about selling us more weeks at the Villages?

Also, if anyone has an opinion about what we are planning, we would love to hear from you. We own at OLCC West Village as well.

thanks
Chris and Bill

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need to talk to anyone or do anything to use your StarOptions. Just call and make a reservation within 8 months of the time you want to go. (Assuming you bought from the developer or had your unit requalified, of course-- resale units don't have StarOptions).

crisby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weeks conversion to StarOptions

We did buy from the developer, but we chose the Weeks option instead of StarOptions.

As I understand it, we have to convert our Weeks units to StarOptions in order to trade internally in the SVO.

We want to convert one of our two weeks, but we don't know if we can do this while we are there in October by attending the sales presentation. We don't want them to be selling us new units, we just want to discuss the conversion.

Chris

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
crisby-

I am not really following you here. I can tell you, though, that if you have questions about yor existing weeks you should call SVO. The salespeople at your presentation are going to be MUCH more interested in selling you more weeks than helping you use what you already have.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Sella-Sella-Sella.

If we attend the "presentation" while we are there, will we be able to talk about this, or are they just going to want to talk about selling us more weeks at the Villages?
Based on various timeshare presentations we have attended, including 1 at Vistana Orlando, I'm pretty sure you can talk about anything you want even though the sole purpose of the presentation is to sell you more timeshare(s) at full freight -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We did buy from the developer, but we chose the Weeks option instead of StarOptions.

As I understand it, we have to convert our Weeks units to StarOptions in order to trade internally in the SVO.

We want to convert one of our two weeks, but we don't know if we can do this while we are there in October by attending the sales presentation. We don't want them to be selling us new units, we just want to discuss the conversion.

Chris

If you bought from the developer, every year you have the option of either using your timeshare as a week at your home resort, or converting it to Staroptions for an exchange within the Starwood system. You have this choice every year - there is no conversion. All Starwood weeks can be used at the owner's home resort OR for a Staroption exchange. All you do is call the owner's reservation number 8 mos. before the date you want to check in, and see if the resort you want is available. If not, you still have your week to use at your home resort. In other words, you don't convert to Staroptions until you actually call and get the exchange you want.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I just wanted to add, that the best way to handle a Staroption exchange is to make a reservation at your home resort at 12 mos. out for a week you can use as a "back up," then at 8 mos. try for the exchange. That way, if you can't get the exchange you want, you still have a reservation at your home resort to fall back on.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
I own a week at Vistana and I am also under the impression that if I want to change to Star Options or Points I have to do some kind of conversion. However I know that points are different than Star Options and I understand how points work. I don't however what Star Options do for you.

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a week at Vistana and I am also under the impression that if I want to change to Star Options or Points I have to do some kind of conversion. However I know that points are different than Star Options and I understand how points work. I don't however what Star Options do for you.

Are you registered at "mystarcentral.com" ?

If not, the best thing to do is register and look for; (if you own at Vistana Resort Orlando)

"Your User Guide"

Using this online handbook, you will learn:

* How and when to reserve at your Home Resort
* How and when to use StarOptions®
* How and when to convert your week to Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints®
* How to exchange your week through your external exchange company

MyStarCentral.com is very useful, no matter which Starwood property you own.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own a week at Vistana and I am also under the impression that if I want to change to Star Options or Points I have to do some kind of conversion. However I know that points are different than Star Options and I understand how points work. I don't however [know] what Star Options do for you.

Staroptions are the exchange value of your Starwood week. You can use them at 8 mos. to try for an exchange within the Starwood system. You don't have to make any kind of permanent conversion, you just call at 8 mos. and see what is available for exchange.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
Staroptions are the exchange value of your Starwood week. You can use them at 8 mos. to try for an exchange within the Starwood system. You don't have to make any kind of permanent conversion, you just call at 8 mos. and see what is available for exchange.
Thanks Denise. With your explanation several questions come to mind.
1. I purchased a floating week before Starwood purchased Vistana so am I also allowed the starwood options?
2. Do they give you the value of the week you reserved or the value of the week on your deed that was only for deeding purposes when you purchase a floating week?
3. If at 8 months out they find you an exchange then there is a conversion fee? If so do you know the current rate?
4. I liked your suggestion about reserving 12 months out at a time when you can go to your home resort to fall back on in the event there is nothing to exchange into at 8 months out. Have they ever found anything interesting for you at 8 months out (for instance on a holiday week)?
and last
5. I honestly never thought they pertained to me since I purchased before Starwood ownership. I even called once and asked about my options of trading into Starwood resorts since I knew they had one at Steamboat and I thought they said I was not a members since I did not belong to points.
I guess I need to look into this more thoroughly. I'll have to check My Star Central as “Courts” suggested. That web site seems to have obstacles for Vistana owners. Always saying you cannot complete whatever...to call them instead. :wall:
Thanks for your help. Your explanations make things clearer.
Terrie

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise. With your explanation several questions come to mind.
1. I purchased a floating week before Starwood purchased Vistana so am I also allowed the starwood options?
Hi Terrie - I didn't know that you didn't buy from Starwood - you will probably have to pay a fee to join the Starwood Vacation network.
2. Do they give you the value of the week you reserved or the value of the week on your deed that was only for deeding purposes when you purchase a floating week?
They are going to give you the value of the week you own, but it may not be as much as it would have been if you purchased it from Starwood.
3. If at 8 months out they find you an exchange then there is a conversion fee? If so do you know the current rate?
If you join the SVN, there will be a mandatory yearly fee added to your MF that covers this, whether you exchange or not.
4. I liked your suggestion about reserving 12 months out at a time when you can go to your home resort to fall back on in the event there is nothing to exchange into at 8 months out. Have they ever found anything interesting for you at 8 months out (for instance on a holiday week)?
I have only tried to exchange into Westin St. John, which is the most difficult exchange in the SVN and I was not successful.
and last
5. I honestly never thought they pertained to me since I purchased before Starwood ownership. I even called once and asked about my options of trading into Starwood resorts since I knew they had one at Steamboat and I thought they said I was not a members since I did not belong to points.
I guess I need to look into this more thoroughly. I'll have to check My Star Central as “Courts” suggested. That web site seems to have obstacles for Vistana owners. Always saying you cannot complete whatever...to call them instead. :wall:
Thanks for your help. Your explanations make things clearer.
Terrie
You will not be able to register at mystarcentral until you join the SVN. Don't confuse StarPOINTS and StarOPTIONS -
Starpoints = converting your week to hotel points or airline miles
Staroptions = the exchange value of your week in the Starwood system