• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visitor [athletes] urination in public is now a thing

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I can honestly say that I experienced this when driving to Kona during a bike event - off on the side of the highway, a van for these cyclists was parked and one of the cyclists decided it was a great spot to urinate in plain sight. The traffic was moving slowly thanks to all of these vans parked on the side of the highway and cyclists hogging the road so those of us who had to get to an appointment were not only delayed, but had a show with public urination.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I can honestly say that I experienced this when driving to Kona during a bike event - off on the side of the highway, a van for these cyclists was parked and one of the cyclists decided it was a great spot to urinate in plain sight. The traffic was moving slowly thanks to all of these vans parked on the side of the highway and cyclists hogging the road so those of us who had to get to an appointment were not only delayed, but had a show with public urination.

I understand your frustration with having people urinating in public on the side of the road. I am not going to defend them, but I will offer this thought since, while not a biker, we have at times had to go badly and needed to find a toilet.

These cyclists are peddling for many miles and there are usually not toilet facilities on the road so they had to go and did. My husband and I walk for numbers of miles in Honolulu as far a Diamond Head to the East and Dole Canery to the West. Many times together, but sometimes separately. My husband takes diuretics and needs to go relieve himself sometimes before I do. We do know of a number of places that have restrooms so we are OK with being able to find a restroom stop. However, at times we have noticed some restrooms are closed either for cleaning, permanently, or with room key access only. We have never had to resort to going in public but after experiencing the desparate urge to go and finding your plan upset by others you have simpathy for the homeless and others who do the unthinkable!

As I said I am not trying to excuse this behavior, but the environment that we provide to others when they are outside of a comfortable abode needs to be considered when making judgements.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure anyone really needs to be educated about not urinating on the side of the road. I am sure they are well aware this isn't something you do in Hawaii or anywhere. "Education" won't fix it. If you gotta go you gotta go.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
As I said I am not trying to excuse this behavior, but the environment that we provide to others when they are outside of a comfortable abode needs to be considered when making judgements.

The overall behavior of the triathletes in 2022 was appalling. Urination was the least of their egregious sins. Tossing plastic trash all over the place and acting like entitled [censored] was far worse.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
The overall behavior of the triathletes in 2022 was appalling. Urination was the least of their egregious sins. Tossing plastic trash all over the place and acting like entitled [censored] was far worse.
Acting "entitled" has become popular. Defying rules of common sense and etiquette are what I mean.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Tossing plastic trash all over the place and acting like entitled [censored] was far worse.
Since I retired I've done several triathlons mostly just for the challenge. The people that are seriously competing, drink while running or biking, and don't have the time to stop at a trash can. It's up to the event organizes to clean up the mess that's inevitable. If they don't clean it up, then they should be fined. If they don't pay the fine, they shouldn't be given any more permits to hold the event. Normally, most tri's are much shorter than an Ironman, and everyone should be able to wait until after the finish to urinate. In the most serious competitions, I've heard that they uniate while biking. Yech! In any case, there's no excuse for acting like an entitled jerk. The guys I bike with always act politely, and show gratitude for the other autos and bikers that do the same.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Since I retired I've done several triathlons mostly just for the challenge. The people that are seriously competing, drink while running or biking, and don't have the time to stop at a trash can. It's up to the event organizes to clean up the mess that's inevitable. If they don't clean it up, then they should be fined. If they don't pay the fine, they shouldn't be given any more permits to hold the event. Normally, most tri's are much shorter than an Ironman, and everyone should be able to wait until after the finish to urinate. In the most serious competitions, I've heard that they uniate while biking. Yech! In any case, there's no excuse for acting like an entitled jerk. The guys I bike with always act politely, and show gratitude for the other autos and bikers that do the same.
Too bad they can't do the swim in the middle or at the end....

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Yeah, I get it. But it might help alleviate the problem...
It is really hard to pee when you are competitively swimming. Sounds strange, but true. Lifeguards have the same problem. It's hard to go in the middle of a rescue (don't ask where they do.)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
May be some of the tourist investment dollars should go to more,public toilets along m the highways. Even if only chemical Toilets (Honey Pots) that need to be pumped out frequently.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
The people that are seriously competing, drink while running or biking, and don't have the time to stop at a trash can.

They're training for WEEKS prior to the event, and tossing their litter the entire time they're here. Not all of them, of course. But enough of them that I hope they leave Big Island and never return. I've seen enough. They are persona non grata.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't just urination. Competitive athletes will eliminate whenever/wherever the urge strikes. So be it. Yet another reason I choose to not attend/participate such events.

DS #2 is a tri-athlete, so I have some inside knowledge.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't just urination. Competitive athletes will eliminate whenever/wherever the urge strikes. So be it. Yet another reason I choose to not attend/participate such events.

DS #2 is a tri-athlete, so I have some inside knowledge.
I have noticed this too when I have done marathons. Even though portable facilities are set up, you see people (mostly men) going right next a vacant toilet - so no excuses there.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
They're training for WEEKS prior to the event, and tossing their litter the entire time they're here. Not all of them, of course. But enough of them that I hope they leave Big Island and never return. I've seen enough. They are persona non grata.

I totally agree with your negative feelings about the ironman in view of the disrespect to the land that they illustrate.

My comments about urinating in public has more to do with the lack of toilet facilities when walking around since many places either don't have toilets or don't let anyone use their toilets unless you are patronizing the establishment. Also, the houseless don't have a place of their own to use so that having public toilets that are open to them is essential or the great outdoors will need to be their toilet.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
My comments about urinating in public has more to do with the lack of toilet facilities when walking around since many places either don't have toilets or don't let anyone use their toilets unless you are patronizing the establishment.

Why is Ironman's lack of toilets anyone's problem besides Ironman?

As for public toilets, there are laws on the books about public businesses providing public toilets. The homeless are too lazy to walk to a grocery store or similar.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why is Ironman's lack of toilets anyone's problem besides Ironman?

As for public toilets, there are laws on the books about public businesses providing public toilets. The homeless are too lazy to walk to a grocery store or similar.
I would like to learn more about those laws and how to enforce them. All I see is signs that say "No public Toilet". Some of the hotels in Waikiki have toilets without locks, but others lock the doors with key access only. Supermarkets are not open 24 hours a day and sometimes one needs to go in the middle of the night.

While I have never found the homeless too lazy to walk (some are disabled to the extent that they can't walk), I do feel that some do not try to get jobs in a job market that is desparate for workers. We have known 4 homeless people that took the initiative and had the discipline to get jobs and get off the street. We have seen others just sitting or standing around pan handling year after year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
When we were driving through Kansas and no stops for about 50 miles at a time, Rick had to go, and he pulled over and went in a field. He has health issues related to waiting too long to go. I have gotten used to many bathroom trips on every road trip, every trip to Disney and Hawaii and everywhere else you can think of. I sit on benches alone quite a bit while he goes to the rest room at Disney. It's almost comical, but he doesn't have cancer, he's been checked every six months, and that's a good thing.

Kapolei

Reaction score
As long as they get off the road and behind a rock, I don’t see the problem. It is evaporating on million year old lava and near no water supply.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
As long as they get off the road and behind a rock, I don’t see the problem. It is evaporating on million year old lava and near no water supply.
and the water supply on earth is finite, we are all drinking water that has been recycled for thousands of years.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
When we were driving through Kansas and no stops for about 50 miles at a time, Rick had to go, and he pulled over and went in a field.
I am sure he's not the first fireman who had to use his hose to put out a fire.
......... but he doesn't have cancer, he's been checked every six months, and that's a good thing.
Glad to hear.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Human urine is 95 % water

The other 5 % is rich in nitrogen
therefore: - Urine can be used as a fertilizer

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Years ago two colleagues were on a biz trip in rural China, Hainan Isl, no hotels so they stayed on collective farms, two to a room, two chamber pots in the corner. One for solids, one for liquids, both of which ended up on the growing veggies.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
and the water supply on earth is finite, we are all drinking water that has been recycled for thousands of years.
I remember reading an article to this effect a while ago… as to how we’re all essentially drinking water molecules that came through in dinosaur pee.