• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visiting Oahu as unvaccinated traveler

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
Has anyone recently visited island as unvaccinated? I will take covid test 72 hours before entering but just today found out from Ko Olina website that as unvaccinated guest covid test has to be in 48 hours of entry. Leaving next Friday so I have covid test scheduled for Tuesday afternoon so by Thursday afternoon I will get result but for Ko Olina it will be 72 hours. Is it a dealbreaker and I should cancel all trip? Thank you

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you aware that they have skyrocketing Delta Virus cases in Hawaii? Especially Oahu.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Are you aware that they have skyrocketing Delta Virus cases in Hawaii?

Exactly this. If you're too immunocompromised to take a safe and effective vaccine, why on earth would you want to sit for hours on a plane with a bunch of other people? If you're not immunocompromised, why would you go THAT far out of your way to constantly have to worry about having a negative test every time you board a plane. Enough time has passed to show that the mRNA vaccines work. 6 billion doses have already been given. How much more data do you need?

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Exactly this. If you're too immunocompromised to take a safe and effective vaccine, why on earth would you want to sit for hours on a plane with a bunch of other people? If you're not immunocompromised, why would you go THAT far out of your way to constantly have to worry about having a negative test every time you board a plane. Enough time has passed to show that the mRNA vaccines work. 6 billion doses have already been given. How much more data do you need?
do not want to make this about a covid discussion, but...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here are some concerns that I have:

Passengers don't have to show anything to get ON the plane, so I could be sitting next to someone with no test and no vaccine.

If I get sick in Hawaii, I may not be able to get optimum care: their hospitals are packed, and they don't have enough Monoclonal treatments to go around.

If I get sick in Hawaii, how is my husband/family going to afford an extended stay in Hawaii? And won't they have to go into quarantine?

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Has anyone recently visited island as unvaccinated? I will take covid test 72 hours before entering but just today found out from Ko Olina website that as unvaccinated guest covid test has to be in 48 hours of entry. Leaving next Friday so I have covid test scheduled for Tuesday afternoon so by Thursday afternoon I will get result but for Ko Olina it will be 72 hours. Is it a dealbreaker and I should cancel all trip? Thank you

The test within 48 hours applies to going into restaurants, bars, gyms, etc. not staying at the resort and enjoying outdoor and open-air venues. I just called MKO to confirm that as well. So, as long as you have a negative test within 72 hours of your final departure to Hawaii and you create a Safe Travels account and post the results there you are fine. Enjoy your trip!

Best regards.

Mike

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
Thanks everyone for your concern. Yea it was not about Covid. I'm well educated and made my choice for now

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
The test within 48 hours applies to going into restaurants, bars, gyms, etc. not staying at the resort and enjoying outdoor and open-air venues. I just called MKO to confirm that as well. So, as long as you have a negative test within 72 hours of your final departure to Hawaii and you create a Safe Travels account and post the results there you are fine. Enjoy your trip!

Best regards.

Mike
Thank you Mike. I was planning to call tomorrow and ask I only saw 48 hours today and on their website in pre planning email.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
do not want to make this about a covid discussion, but...

The problem with that statistic is the unvaccinated people actually travelling don't believe in the data. You could link them the primary sources from Pubmed and they will just ignore it because they don't understand what primary sources are or what mRNA is. They will just say they're "educated" and "did their research" when in reality they didn't because they don't understand what peer reviewing is, what medical journals are, or how to perform a clinical trial using a placebo as the control.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thank you Mike. I was planning to call tomorrow and ask I only saw 48 hours today and on their website in pre planning email.
my understanding is you will need to get tested ever 48 hrs (and show a negative result ) in order to go to restaurants or any public places if you can't show that you are vaccinated.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I was there right before the rules changed. I don't know what the new rule is -- if you truly need a test within 48 hours to be able to visit a restaurant -- that's near impossible to do (which is likely the point). I was able to get onto the island without an issue, but I had to cancel one restaurant reservation because they wanted a vaccination card. Interesting times ---- good luck and let us know how the trip goes!

Best,

Greg

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Are you aware that they have skyrocketing Delta Virus cases in Hawaii? Especially Oahu.

It IS getting much better though, thankfully. Daily case average down from 800+ a couple weeks ago to 450 now. Hospitalizations down from 470 to 280. The major hospitals have also resumed doing elective surgeries. Cases that are rising get all of the attention, but when they drop, it's not a blazing headline anymore. Also, even at their peak a couple weeks ago, Hawaii wasn't as bad as many other places thanks to their high vaccination rates. They have done such a good job controlling the virus there, and their rates have been so low for most of the pandemic, that the last two months has just been a shock to that state.

Having said that, if we were unvaccinated, no way we would be traveling to Hawaii in a little over two weeks. Even as vaccinated we are drastically limiting our activities for the next two weeks to essential activities and trying to stay in our "bubble" to reduce the chances of a random exposure screwing up our trip. Also, even at their worst, the per capita case rates in Hawaii were about half of what they have been in our home county here in the Charlotte area, and we're not as bad as some of the more rural areas of our state. Looking at the lower case rates in Hawaii, plus the requirement on Maui to be vaccinated to dine in restaurants, and I think we'll feel safer in our island paradise than in our home state!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The “Safe Access O‘ahu” program requires all .... customers must show proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result taken within the previous 48 hours in order to enter the establishment.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If you want to use the gym, order food or drinks from the servers around pool area, goto fia fia luau, you will need to be vaccinated or have a negative covid test taken within 48 hours.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you want to use the gym, order food or drinks from the servers around pool area, goto fia fia luau, you will need to be vaccinated or have a negative covid test taken within 48 hours.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Sounds very time consuming to have to do this every time you want to go someplace where a vaccine is required. Is this the type of trip anyone would want to take?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So basically, this means that every other day you would have to get a new test.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I was there right before the rules changed. I don't know what the new rule is -- if you truly need a test within 48 hours to be able to visit a restaurant -- that's near impossible to do (which is likely the point). I was able to get onto the island without an issue, but I had to cancel one restaurant reservation because they wanted a vaccination card. Interesting times ---- good luck and let us know how the trip goes!

Best,

Greg
I have observed at least half a dozen people be turned away at various restaurants and other indoor locations in and around Oahu because they didn't have BOTH a vaccine card AND a picture ID with them. Have not been over to the Ko Olina area, but from Waikiki to North Shore all restaurants I have seen the past week are asking at the entry and not letting people in that don't have what they require. Even at Waimea Falls yesterday we had to show our ID and vaccine card to go up to the falls.

While a test within 48 hrs will substitute for showing proof of vaccination, if you're going to be around for a week or more and want to do more than sit on the beach and eat in your room, you may find your trip a lot less enjoyable because of having to get tested every other day, not to mention if ONE of those tests shows positive -- a real possibility if you are mingling much around others.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So basically, this means that every other day you would have to get a new test.
and I believe it is at your own expense. I read an article a few days ago (but couldn't find it again) where the title was something like -I've spent more on Covid tests than I did for my flight to Hawaii, I'm not kidding. He was on an extended 3 week stay and on many days was just ordering room service or take out because it was too much of a hassle to get tested at approved places that would get the results back within a day or two.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
[jme - While I appreciate your input and effort, since this is the Marriott forum, we want to keep the focus on the travel aspect of COVID, so the thread doesn't have to be moved. Thank you, DeniseM]

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I don't think this thread belongs in the Marriott forum anymore. It should go into the deep dark dungeon of the COVID Forum.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Folks - Since this is the Marriott Forum, please gear your comments to the travel aspect of this thread - thank you!

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Folks - Since this is the Marriott Forum, please gear your comments to the travel aspect of this thread - thank you!
Its probably best in just the Hawaii forum, because nothing here is specific to the Marriott, it's really about Oahu. In terms of the travel issues/challenges if you're not vaccinated they are the same wherever you are on Oahu.