• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visiting Oahu as unvaccinated traveler

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Thanks everyone for your concern. Yea it was not about Covid. I'm well educated and made my choice for now

These are the current requirements, so if you're ok with getting tested every second day, its doable but its always up to you.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone recently visited island as unvaccinated? I will take covid test 72 hours before entering but just today found out from Ko Olina website that as unvaccinated guest covid test has to be in 48 hours of entry. Leaving next Friday so I have covid test scheduled for Tuesday afternoon so by Thursday afternoon I will get result but for Ko Olina it will be 72 hours. Is it a dealbreaker and I should cancel all trip? Thank you
Don't go.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have an immunocompromised relative who is battling cancer and in early remission (and is vaccinated) who opted not to join our recent Oahu trip because she had relatively high probability of ending up in the hospital for reasons other than Covid. From what I can tell, hospitals are rationing care so even if she doesn't catch Covid there could be dire consequences.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised that Ko Olina gave the response they did. I read through the State Website specific to Oahu. The 48 hour testing is also required for using “public and private commercial pools”. Between the pools and on-site gyms and restaurants I‘m surprised MKO would not just require testing every 48 hours for the duration of the unvaccinated guests’ stay.

I read through it because we have unvaccinated friends going to Kauai but have a layover in Oahu. Because of the food court and restaurants at the airport it sounds as though a test completed 48 not 72 hours prior would be required. Does anyone have experience with this since the the policy changed?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'd have to like having a 6" Q-tip tickling the back of your sinuses a LOT more than I do to prefer that every 2 days to a vax jab or two. But that's a personal choice.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You'd have to like having a 6" Q-tip tickling the back of your sinuses a LOT more than I do to prefer that every 2 days to a vax jab or two. But that's a personal choice.
But the new tests aren't that bad. :D The rapid test I got at my doctor's office was just a quick 5 swishes in each nostril. No 6" swab.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here are some concerns that I have:

Passengers don't have to show anything to get ON the plane, so I could be sitting next to someone with no test and no vaccine.
I can't speak for everywhere, but this was not true when we flew to Hawaii from Seattle on Alaska Air in August. No vax proof + no negative test = no seat.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 same with Southwest. You get a wristband in advance of the flight after showing proof. You can get on the flight without but then you wait in a really long line in HNL and they may turn you around if something is not in order. Not my idea of a good way to spend vacation time.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That's interesting - I'm very glad to hear that, but I wonder how people are still landing in Hawaii with no test and no vaccination?

Last edited:

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can fly but then go through clearance in HNL. At that point they either produce vax or test or have a place to quarantine. None of the above, turn around. So yes they are on the plane. The feds must make it mandatory to fly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
Don't go.
we might not go as haven't decided for sure. we were on Maui in May, unvaccinated, all went fine but this time are more serious and concerned.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
I work in a hospital and get tested twice a week with just saliva, not bad at all

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
These are the current requirements, so if you're ok with getting tested every second day, its doable but its always up to you.
well, I understand that I might not go to restaurants and it's ok, I guess, hope we can do take outs, but I do not plan to get tested there at all

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
well, I understand that I might not go to restaurants and it's ok, I guess, hope we can do take outs, but I do not plan to get tested there at all

Yes, you can definitely do take out. I just did takeout today and didn't have to show anything.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
Thank you for all the comments. I might cancel it and go after being vaccinated. I have 3 re trades so would be able to move it till next year. Why I was considering this trip is that I love beach and wouldn't mind spending time on the beach rather than in a hospital that I work at. Love my job but need time to recharged and treat unvaccinated patients, lol

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)

It depends how strict they are whether they will let you into the restaurant for pick up without a test. Why are you against testing when they’re giving you an option to be able to go out ?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It depends how strict they are whether they will let you into the restaurant for pick up without a test. Why are you against testing when they’re giving you an option to be able to go out ?

Takeout is allowed if you are unvaccinated.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's interesting - I'm very glad to hear that, but I wonder how people are still landing in Hawaii with no test and no vaccination?
That I can't answer.

What I can say is that flying out of SEA in August, there were two options. First was a Hawaii Clear checkin with Alaska. That was doing the same as HI would do for incoming travelers - register at the Hawaii travel site, upload your VAX card, answer questionnaire, get barcode of approval. Alaska checks the barcode, and if everything is good you get a wristband.

If you don't do that process, at the gate you need to check in and provide proof of vaccination or a suitable negative test. If you can't do that, you don't get on the plane.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
I just returned from Kauai and was watching the local news daily. From what was being reported on Oahu, getting COVID tests there is difficult and you'll need to have one every 48 hours.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I would go and enjoy the trip, just don't go dining-in in restaurants. I am vaccinated, but the idea of "showing papers" (id and proof of vaccination) just to eat in a restaurant is not my idea of fun, so I'll just skip the restaurants and other activities that require papers. Even if I am fully vaccinated.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I would go and enjoy the trip, just don't go dining-in in restaurants. I am vaccinated, but the idea of "showing papers" (id and proof of vaccination) just to eat in a restaurant is not my idea of fun, so I'll just skip the restaurants and other activities that require papers. Even if I am fully vaccinated.
I just took a photo of my driver’s license and vaccination card together with my phone and I show it to them when we check in. Takes 2-3 seconds. I appreciate knowing everyone in there is vaccinated so risk is greatly reduced. (In theory there can be people that tested negative, but I’ve yet to see anyone using a negative test to check in at a restaurant. No doubt it happens, but seems a lot less common.)

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I think there is still the option to self quarantine when you arrive. So presumably people just say they plan to quarantine.. Maybe they don't understand what that that means..

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I think there is still the option to self quarantine when you arrive. So presumably people just say they plan to quarantine.. Maybe they don't understand what that that means..
Two guys were arrested the other day on arrival and had to “serve” 10 days in the local jail for arriving without testing or vaccination and not having any qualified location to quarantine. I believe when you arrive you must provide the address/location.

I have a trip to the Big Island next month staying at Kings Land (Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare). Today I received an email from HGV that included the following:

HGV timeshare properties in Hawaii County may not be used for quarantine by travelers who must meet the state’s 10-day self-isolation order. This impacts all HGV properties on The Big Island of Hawaii.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I just took a photo of my driver’s license and vaccination card together with my phone and I show it to them when we check in. Takes 2-3 seconds. I appreciate knowing everyone in there is vaccinated so risk is greatly reduced. (In theory there can be people that tested negative, but I’ve yet to see anyone using a negative test to check in at a restaurant. No doubt it happens, but seems a lot less common.)

And of course if it were in Maui County a negative test is not applicable. Only fully vaccinated may dine indoors at restaurants. Some Maui County restaurants with both inside and outside dining are also requiring full vaccination so they don't have different rules for different diners.