• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Virus Updates in Mexico - Super Airfare Sale so I Booked Spring Break in NV

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Due to virus hysteria I couldn't believe the airfare from BC .....price drop from over a grand to $1200+ a per seat down to $300 so I jumped on it after researching any effects on Mexico. (Swoop airlines from YXX)
This pricing is unheard of most of the year let alone spring break.

There are minimal to negligible virus effects on Mexico.

All airports normal and travel to and from are normal. One of the safer places to travel away from this potential threat because apparently the virus doesnt like heat/humidity.

Last edited:

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
I'm jealous. I've been tracking airfare on United from Houston to PV and it hasn't changed much. So far, it's $450/rt in June.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Due to virus hysteria I couldn't believe the airfare from BC .....price drop from over a grand to $1200+ a per seat down to $300 so I jumped on it after researching any effects on Mexico. (Swoop airlines from YXX)
This pricing is unheard of most of the year let alone spring break.

There are minimal to negligible virus effects on Mexico.

All airports normal and travel to and from are normal. One of the safer places to travel away from this potential threat because apparently the virus doesnt like heat/humidity.

Please give us an update from PV-NV after you arrive .

Vidanta & other resorts have lots of staff that are skilled at cleaning .

If you want to learn more about Vidanta’s organizational planning protocols - go on the
“ Back of the House “ tour - done by the hotel side mgmt.There is a TUG Mexican forum thread on
it from last fall .I really was impressed when I went on it in November 2019.

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
I'm jealous. I've been tracking airfare on United from Houston to PV and it hasn't changed much. So far, it's $450/rt in June.
Wow i didnt expect that expensive from Houston. It's so close to mexico

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
And on Monday Swoop/WestJet announced they are suspending all international flights midnight March 22. I am in NV now and had just moved my flight from Mar 28 to Mar 21, giving up my last week in NV. All flights out of PVR on WS are now full. Going out to buy a lottery ticket.

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
And on Monday Swoop/WestJet announced they are suspending all international flights midnight March 22. I am in NV now and had just moved my flight from Mar 28 to Mar 21, giving up my last week in NV. All flights out of PVR on WS are now full. Going out to buy a lottery ticket.
Where did you hear that? Do you have a link

I got an email saying our flight is unaffected.

Only international flights coming in from non-canadians are restricted.

Canadians and permanent residents are permitted to travel

Last edited:

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the WestJet webpage https://www.westjet.com/en-mx/travel-info/coronavirus . All international WestJet flights are cancelled at 11:59 pm Sunday, March 22. This is being done by WestJet, I would guess, to save money. They have also suspended 50% of the domestic flights.

I had assumed Swoop would do the same as their parent, but they still show flights (and fares as low as $70 one way). Bad assumption on my part. Sorry.

The Government is allowing flights from US and Mexico to land at any airport, but only Canadian and US citizens (and others such as permanent residents). Flights from other than US and Mexico need to land in one of the identified airports.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Restaurants starting to close down here in PV can confirm that my brother is staying at the Mayan and he left this morning. He did say that the mp staff is being terminated and they are closing the restaurants and bars in the hotel

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would any one fly to Mexico these days, where they are No Restriction on the Covid 19 virus?
That is why the air fares are so cheap ?

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone even think of flying out of the USA at this point in what is going on in the world ?????

I guess I don't understand the thought process to save a few bucks and possibly be stranded outside the USA for a long time,,,,.

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Why would anyone even think of flying out of the USA at this point in what is going on in the world ?????

I guess I don't understand the thought process to save a few bucks and possibly be stranded outside the USA for a long time,,,,.

I called vidanta everything open all protocols of cleaning and restaurant seating / social distance at 50% seating capacity

Everything business as usual. We dont leave the resort except 1 run for beer /snacks.

No virus in NV PV

The temp over 25C kills virus

If I have to stay longer on vacation another week OH Well Lol good getaway time from Canada it's shut down no school. Nothing happening LOL

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would be concerned about being able to get home with the borders being closed.

I have heard that Mexico hasn't really taken many precautions. Probably the reason they don't have cases reported is that people aren't being tested.

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
While canada is afraid, the fear is greater in usa. They really know how to use the media and manipulation to put the fear in the population. Many people are really afraid and also super paranoid. About a lot of things really. Some are unwarranted depending where and who you talk to. The culture of guns and other problems such as terrorism do stir up fear and paranoia.

As it sits now there is no cancellation with my airline, the airport neither. I'm a Canadian citizen and all canadians/permanent residents are allowed back home.

Only foreigners are banned at the moment

I wont comment on who is correct whether the worried or unworried.

There are many of these here in canada too.

Many were complaining about people going out and being social.

There are those that stay home and those that go out.

And it is rather divisive.

I didn't make many changes because I always wash my hands all day. 1 sometimes 2 showers a day.

And I stay away from sick people.

I havent been sick in years and I dont plan on getting sick any time soon if I continue to do as I have always been and being lucky to have a strong immune system. Alcohol helps too. Virus dont like me. They don't like alcohol lol

Many businesses such as restaurants shut down. If you are sick please stay home and don't infect others!

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Mexico is not actively testing. We already know that several wealth Mexican nationals contracted CV-19 after skiing in Vail. The Mexican govt is downplaying the risk for economic reasons. So be wise.

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Just now it looks like swoop canceled all international flights until may 31 Boooo

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just now it looks like swoop canceled all international flights until may 31 Boooo
Yep, as I've said in other posts things are changing day to day, sometimes minute to minute.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

I could think of worse places to be than Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta .

Please keep us TUG Mexican Forum readers updated on how things go, from day to day .
both on the resort property & generally within PV-NV .

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I could think of worse places to be than Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta .

Please keep us TUG readers updated on how things go, from day to day .
both on the resort property & generally within PV-NV .
Based on that last post about the cancelled international flights I don't think the OP is going.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Based on that last post about the cancelled international flights I don't think the OP is going.
I think he & his family are in Nuevo Vallarta now .

British Columbia School’s Spring Break started Monday March 16 .Schools were scheduled to reopen
Monday March 30 . The reopening date has been suspended by the province due to Covid 19 .

His initial post was from Sunday March 15 . - when he posted about the reduced airfare pricing
[ family of 4 = $1200 on Swoop from about $5000 average on other carriers ]

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think he & his family are in Nuevo Vallarta now .

British Columbia School’s Spring Break started Monday March 16 .Schools were scheduled to reopen
Monday March 30 . The reopening date has been suspended by the province due to Covid 19 .

His initial post was from Sunday March 15 . - when he posted about the reduced airfare pricing
[ family of 4 = $1200 on Swoop from about $5000 average on other carriers ]
You're right.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so bummed I was supposed to go march 23. I wanted to get away from here
Understand your disappointment, but finding out while you are still comfortably at home may well be a blessing in disguise. Be well!