• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP Upgrade Failed Me Again

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City
Yesterday I went on line to book a unit and a 1 bedroom suite and a 4 bedroom unit showed. I thought, boy my lucky day. Clicked on book the 1 BR and "congratulations an upgrade is available" popped up. I clicked on the 4BR and book. Then a red warning appears "this unit is no longer available." So, I collapsed the reservation to get out of the reservation and went back to check the inventory and both units were still there, so I tried to book it again and got the same results.

Not giving up, I called the PR reservation center and she saw the same thing and asked if I wanted the upgrade, we both laughed and I of course said yes. She tried to get the upgrade three times and said she got an error message and was unable to book the unit. So I went ahead and booked the 1 BR and put in the automatic upgrade. She said she would call tech and see if they could do anything, and I thought yea sure I know how that will turn out.

After I booked the unit I went back on line and there sits the 4 BR unit and it remained there for about 2 hours or so until someone finally took it.

How many ways can I say I hate this new system. Under the old system I would have secured that upgrade in a couple seconds!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Is it the new system, or a malfunctioning new system? You should have gotten the upgrade, if the system was working as it should.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Was either unit a handicapped unit?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
I thought it was discussed that you could not upgrade more than two spots which would limit you to a 3BR from a 1 BR?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Yes, you can. I have upgraded from a 1BR to a 4BR Pres, since the new system.

Unless something has changed since I did it?

Did you try booking the 4br, without upgrading to it? Curious if it was phantom or real.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City
I thought it was discussed that you could not upgrade more than two spots which would limit you to a 3BR from a 1 BR?
No, that was not correct for my situation since there were no other units available except the 1 BR and the 4 BR. If there had been other units available the upgrade would have been limited.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City
Yes, you can. I have upgraded from a 1BR to a 4BR Pres, since the new system.

Unless something has changed since I did it?

Did you try booking the 4br, without upgrading to it? Curious if it was phantom or real.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Good idea, I just did think to do so.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Yesterday I went on line to book a unit and a 1 bedroom suite and a 4 bedroom unit showed. I thought, boy my lucky day. Clicked on book the 1 BR and "congratulations an upgrade is available" popped up. I clicked on the 4BR and book. Then a red warning appears "this unit is no longer available." So, I collapsed the reservation to get out of the reservation and went back to check the inventory and both units were still there, so I tried to book it again and got the same results.

Not giving up, I called the PR reservation center and she saw the same thing and asked if I wanted the upgrade, we both laughed and I of course said yes. She tried to get the upgrade three times and said she got an error message and was unable to book the unit. So I went ahead and booked the 1 BR and put in the automatic upgrade. She said she would call tech and see if they could do anything, and I thought yea sure I know how that will turn out.

After I booked the unit I went back on line and there sits the 4 BR unit and it remained there for about 2 hours or so until someone finally took it.

How many ways can I say I hate this new system. Under the old system I would have secured that upgrade in a couple seconds!

Last month I needed an extra night and one was available with an upgrade. It was at Palm-Aire, midweek, and there was a one bedroom, a two bedroom and a two bedroom presidential available for the night I needed. I selected the one bedroom and it will only upgrade to the two bedroom presidential. So I go ahead and book it thinking once it isn't available it will then upgrade the one bedroom to the two bedroom. Our other nights were in a two bedroom so I wanted the same unit type to give us a better chance of being able to stay in the same unit. Nope it still won't upgrade the one bedroom to the two bedroom. Yes for those of you who know Palm-Aire both the two bedroom and the two bedroom presidential were in the same section so that wasn't the issue. I called and the VC tried the same thing with the same results. It simply wouldn't upgrade to the two bedroom just the higher point presidential two bedroom which made no sense to anyone at any level, even owner care when they called about the ticket on it.

So in the end I just had to book the two bedroom to get what I needed without being able to upgrade. That is not the only time I have seen a reservation that would not upgrade but I could go back and book the larger unit with no upgrade. And again the VC got the same results I did so I no longer waste my time calling when that happens. It won't even do any good most of the time to book both units to secure the larger unit while you call in for help as when you cancel the larger unit it usually disappears for at least several hours up to a full day before it comes back.

Here is an even better one. I had a birthday the last week of July and a friend called to wish me a happy birthday. While we were talking I was looking at availability at Panama City Beach for her. I put in some dates in the timeframe she mentioned and saw there were two and three presidential reserve units available so I clicked on a small unit to upgrade to the two bedroom presidential reserve unit. The crazy system offered me the upgrade of my choice to either of the two or three bedroom presidential reserve units! In the meantime the friend I was on the phone with says those dates won't work and I tell her to hang on because I just have to see if this crazy system will actually give me the larger unit upgrade. It did! I went right back in and cancelled the reservation because I didn't need it but I could have kept it if I wanted to.

I had a private conversation with one of the execs at the owner's meeting and he told me the upgrade system was working correctly with a only a very few owners still having issues. Also that the automatic upgrade feature was now working; the upgrades requested if one should become available feature. I said that I hadn't seen an automatic upgrade yet when there was plenty of inventory available for over a full week and that I was currently letting one reservation ride just to see if it would ever do the automatic upgrade. At that point I was thinking he was probably trying to give me the "it's all sweetness and light" company line and told him that he obviously had no idea how screwed up the upgrade system was and intended to walk away. But he asked me what I meant so I told him about both of the cases I talked about in this post that had happened within the previous week to 10 days. I also told him there were more instances I could give him and that I knew for a fact that I wasn't the only owner who had experienced both situations recently. He actually went pale. This was at the very end of the day just as the last few people were leaving, including the Wyndham people. I used to go to conventions for the field I worked in and was management. I so wanted to ask him, with my boss look and voice that means you can kiss any hope of a raise or promotion goodbye and should start looking for another job, what he had been doing all day that what I was telling him really upset him. I really tried to convince myself that he was faking it but that is hard to do when the person turns pale and reacts like he did. I couldn't remember which area of Wyndham he was in so decided that he may only know what he's been told about other departments. Silos like OP have posted. The "now retired no longer the boss me" instead just politely said I had people waiting for me, which I did, and left him standing there with that stunned look on his face and his mouth hanging open, literally.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
....He actually went pale. This was at the very end of the day just as the last few people were leaving, including the Wyndham people. I used to go to conventions for the field I worked in and was management. I so wanted to ask him, with my boss look and voice that means you can kiss any hope of a raise or promotion goodbye and should start looking for another job, what he had been doing all day that what I was telling him really upset him. I really tried to convince myself that he was faking it but that is hard to do when the person turns pale and reacts like he did. I couldn't remember which area of Wyndham he was in so decided that he may only know what he's been told about other departments. Silos like OP have posted. The "now retired no longer the boss me" instead just politely said I had people waiting for me, which I did, and left him standing there with that stunned look on his face and his mouth hanging open, literally.
Jan I would agree with you EXCEPT, I was in session 3 and 4 of the round tables at the owners meeting (darn, we were both in session 4 - would love to have met you).

In session 3, even more adamantly, they stated that auto upgrades were working and acted very surprised when the owners present informed them otherwise.

Later I've heard it was a repeat performance from session 1 and 2.

So I call Bull S**t

And if they really do think the system works, after 4 sessions of being told otherwise, heads be should be rolling as to whom is providing the updates to upper management. You think they've ever logged in to the system, let alone booked or cancelled a reservation? I bet not. There were numerous issues they did not seem well versed about.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last month I needed an extra night and one was available with an upgrade. It was at Palm-Aire, midweek, and there was a one bedroom, a two bedroom and a two bedroom presidential available for the night I needed. I selected the one bedroom and it will only upgrade to the two bedroom presidential. So I go ahead and book it thinking once it isn't available it will then upgrade the one bedroom to the two bedroom. Our other nights were in a two bedroom so I wanted the same unit type to give us a better chance of being able to stay in the same unit. Nope it still won't upgrade the one bedroom to the two bedroom. Yes for those of you who know Palm-Aire both the two bedroom and the two bedroom presidential were in the same section so that wasn't the issue. I called and the VC tried the same thing with the same results. It simply wouldn't upgrade to the two bedroom just the higher point presidential two bedroom which made no sense to anyone at any level, even owner care when they called about the ticket on it.

So in the end I just had to book the two bedroom to get what I needed without being able to upgrade. That is not the only time I have seen a reservation that would not upgrade but I could go back and book the larger unit with no upgrade. And again the VC got the same results I did so I no longer waste my time calling when that happens. It won't even do any good most of the time to book both units to secure the larger unit while you call in for help as when you cancel the larger unit it usually disappears for at least several hours up to a full day before it comes back.

Here is an even better one. I had a birthday the last week of July and a friend called to wish me a happy birthday. While we were talking I was looking at availability at Panama City Beach for her. I put in some dates in the timeframe she mentioned and saw there were two and three presidential reserve units available so I clicked on a small unit to upgrade to the two bedroom presidential reserve unit. The crazy system offered me the upgrade of my choice to either of the two or three bedroom presidential reserve units! In the meantime the friend I was on the phone with says those dates won't work and I tell her to hang on because I just have to see if this crazy system will actually give me the larger unit upgrade. It did! I went right back in and cancelled the reservation because I didn't need it but I could have kept it if I wanted to.

I had a private conversation with one of the execs at the owner's meeting and he told me the upgrade system was working correctly with a only a very few owners still having issues. Also that the automatic upgrade feature was now working; the upgrades requested if one should become available feature. I said that I hadn't seen an automatic upgrade yet when there was plenty of inventory available for over a full week and that I was currently letting one reservation ride just to see if it would ever do the automatic upgrade. At that point I was thinking he was probably trying to give me the "it's all sweetness and light" company line and told him that he obviously had no idea how screwed up the upgrade system was and intended to walk away. But he asked me what I meant so I told him about both of the cases I talked about in this post that had happened within the previous week to 10 days. I also told him there were more instances I could give him and that I knew for a fact that I wasn't the only owner who had experienced both situations recently. He actually went pale. This was at the very end of the day just as the last few people were leaving, including the Wyndham people. I used to go to conventions for the field I worked in and was management. I so wanted to ask him, with my boss look and voice that means you can kiss any hope of a raise or promotion goodbye and should start looking for another job, what he had been doing all day that what I was telling him really upset him. I really tried to convince myself that he was faking it but that is hard to do when the person turns pale and reacts like he did. I couldn't remember which area of Wyndham he was in so decided that he may only know what he's been told about other departments. Silos like OP have posted. The "now retired no longer the boss me" instead just politely said I had people waiting for me, which I did, and left him standing there with that stunned look on his face and his mouth hanging open, literally.

Who was it?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We should put together a ROGUE's GALLERY of "WHO's WHO" of Wyndham Executives under a TUG Members Only section .. the causal views, not the photo fixed glamour shots.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Jan I would agree with you EXCEPT, I was in session 3 and 4 of the round tables at the owners meeting (darn, we were both in session 4 - would love to have met you).

In session 3, even more adamantly, they stated that auto upgrades were working and acted very surprised when the owners present informed them otherwise.

Later I've heard it was a repeat performance from session 1 and 2.

So I call Bull S**t

And if they really do think the system works, after 4 sessions of being told otherwise, heads be should be rolling as to whom is providing the updates to upper management. You think they've ever logged in to the system, let alone booked or cancelled a reservation? I bet not. There were numerous issues they did not seem well versed about.

I kept thinking it had to be b.s. because I couldn't see how by that time of day anyone in that room could have been that oblivious. Even with the silos and his department having nothing to do with I was talking about.

I was just talking to our son about what I posted and what Sandi Bo said. He said the reason the guy went pale was because of me. I protested that I wasn't being confrontational, just calmly stating what I knew for a fact and that I walked away without verbally going for his jugular. Our son said that just because I've been retired for the past 6 years I clearly haven't lost any of the "choose your next words very carefully because I take no prisoners vibe" I give off that acquired from dealing with the owners and the various facets of business I ran for them.

Even our son agrees that Sandi Bo is absolutely correct! So the exec's reaction was either he thought he was about to be ripped a new one or he saw in my face that I didn't see him as being worth my time and the insult it implies.

Last edited:

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So the exec's reaction was either he thought he was about to be ripped a new one or he saw in my face that I didn't see him as being worth my time and the insult it implies.

That's the crux of my biggest beef with Wyndham. They won't level with us. We understand s**t happens. We understand new programs may have bugs. But the insistence that the rollout is a success and a small minority are the only ones with account issues simply is an insult to our mediocre intellect.

If they could just be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
That's the crux of my biggest beef with Wyndham. They won't level with us. We understand s**t happens. We understand new programs may have bugs. But the insistence that the rollout is a success and a small minority are the only ones with account issues simply is an insult to our mediocre intellect.

TOTALLY agree.

Tells us the rules
Enforce the rules
Have a reliable system

It's the variables and lack of reliability killing us.

I believe it was session 3 that it was stated that inventory returns immediately. Always. It's split second with the new system. Someone else got our room (possibly with an auto upgrade) therefore it is no longer available. They said you have a greater chance of losing your reservation now given the split second return to inventory.

I am 100% sure that is not true (and stated as such likely to Jan's friend). I have cancelled/rebooked and the return to availability has been 5 minutes, 8 minutes, 15 minutes, overnight, etc. I am quite certain with the rooms I've done that with that I am picking up the rooms I cancelled. I had room numbers (that we stayed in last week) that I selected pre-voyager. These were my rooms that I picked back up.

I believe it was our friend R.L. that the sales exec high-fived after R.L. stated he cancelled and rebooked a 1br to a 3 br. Proof that cancel/rebook is still alive (and earning R.L the high-five).

Not sustainable for me, but given my August vacation and (pre-voyager) planning and booking what I did (constant monitoring) was necessary this go around. I also completely understand that the only reason I was successful is because the system is not working correctly (esp auto upgrades). I do not anticipate in the long run to continue to be successful. I see lots of 1 bedrooms in our future, if they ever pull off the auto upgrade (or find another monkey wrench to throw into the wheel).

As a side note - anyone notice that when selecting an auto upgrade these days, for a handicap accessible room, that there is a checkbox to upgrade only to a room with similar features (defaults to selected).

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

TOTALLY agree.

Tells us the rules
Enforce the rules
Have a reliable system

It's the variables and lack of reliability killing us.

I believe it was session 3 that it was stated that inventory returns immediately. Always. It's split second with the new system. Someone else got our room (possibly with an auto upgrade) therefore it is no longer available. They said you have a greater chance of losing your reservation now given the split second return to inventory.

I am 100% sure that is not true (and stated as such likely to Jan's friend). I have cancelled/rebooked and the return to availability has been 5 minutes, 8 minutes, 15 minutes, overnight, etc. I am quite certain with the rooms I've done that with that I am picking up the rooms I cancelled. I had room numbers (that we stayed in last week) that I selected pre-voyager. These were my rooms that I picked back up.

I believe it was our friend R.L. that the sales exec high-fived after R.L. stated he cancelled and rebooked a 1br to a 3 br. Proof that cancel/rebook is still alive (and earning R.L the high-five).

Not sustainable for me, but given my August vacation and (pre-voyager) planning and booking what I did (constant monitoring) was necessary this go around. I also completely understand that the only reason I was successful is because the system is not working correctly (esp auto upgrades). I do not anticipate in the long run to continue to be successful. I see lots of 1 bedrooms in our future, if they ever pull off the auto upgrade (or find another monkey wrench to throw into the wheel).

As a side note - anyone notice that when selecting an auto upgrade these days, for a handicap accessible room, that there is a checkbox to upgrade only to a room with similar features (defaults to selected).

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is a company run and lives by the sales and business manuals of Amway.

IMHO.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
There is still ghost availability appearing in the system. It happens more often now than the old system. At some point today and a few hours before you saw it, the 4 BR was likely there. The search keeps displaying it as available even though it was not available.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... I believe it was our friend R.L. that the sales exec high-fived after R.L. stated he cancelled and rebooked a 1br to a 3 br. Proof that cancel/rebook is still alive (and earning R.L the high-five) ...

I went from a 1 bedroom deluxe to a three bedroom Presidential on a upgrade. That is what was indicated at the meeting. Also, cancelled a unit at Bonnet Creek, re-booked it on different dates and got the upgrade for a family member, called the VC to make the Bonnet Creek one work.

On cancel/rebook process, I do not have enough experience with this new system to know if it consistently working well or not nor am I attempting to test the cancel re-book process.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I went from a 1 bedroom deluxe to a three bedroom Presidential on a upgrade. That is what was indicated at the meeting. Also, cancelled a unit at Bonnet Creek, re-booked it on different dates and got the upgrade for a family member, called the VC to make the Bonnet Creek one work.

On cancel/rebook process, I do not have enough experience with this new system to know if it consistently working well or not nor am I attempting to test the cancel re-book process.
Thanks for clarifying, Robert.

It just dripped a bit with irony, for me, that your testimonial of a successful upgrade was met with cheers and a high five. When to me it seems the only reason you were successful is because the system is not working correctly. I am certain that for me that is the case. Were the auto upgrades working properly, I would not have enjoyed instant upgrades I've been able to obtain recently.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's just great. Now if you go to an owners update. You will have to watch R.L.s video testimonial on his great experience with the new rules and website.

No thanks. One more reason not to go

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

The folks at the meeting used you as evidence that the auto upgrade feature is working. It's not if what you said here is what really happened

You cancelled a reservation and made another one, you did not cancel and rebook, (that implies the same unit type and dates.) And it's not really cancel and rebook if an identical reservation is available.

And regarding the upgrade. The auto upgrade feature is not working if you had to involve the VC

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access

The longer I've had this timeshare, the more I know that Wyndham is all lies. Honesty is not the best policy with them. From the sales weasels on up, all I hear are lies. Some of them are whoppers! I go to sales updates constantly, and it's almost for comedic relief, to see what lies they can tell me next. I've never found that a good business model.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The folks at the meeting used you as evidence that the auto upgrade feature is working. It's not if what you said here is what really happened

You cancelled a reservation and made another one, you did not cancel and rebook, (that implies the same unit type and dates.) And it's not really cancel and rebook if an identical reservation is available.

And regarding the upgrade. The auto upgrade feature is not working if you had to involve the VC

The upgrade for Desert Blue was through the Computer. The VC help the re-do on Bonnet Creek.

Last edited: