• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP Transfer Question

Lucasfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My father has a Wyndham VIP silver account that is grandfathered in. I have my own separate resale CWA account. If my dad were to add my name to his account, then I transfer my CWA into the newly converted joint account, would those points receive the VIP treatment? I was told that I could transfer my points into my dad's account, then transfer his timeshare to me and I would have VIP on all points, but I would feel more comfortable adding my name to his account, then transferring my points to his account.

If this would work, are there any drawbacks to this approach, other than the (2) $299 fees from Wyndham plus the cost of legal services for the deed change?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is not much more benifits from CWA to VIP silver.
I would do nothing. Go back review CWA and silver.
If you do it now, your name on his, your on the hook forever! If one bequests it, if you change your mind, you can say no. In my case we are waiting. Remaining flexible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
My father has a Wyndham VIP silver account that is grandfathered in. I have my own separate resale CWA account. If my dad were to add my name to his account, then I transfer my CWA into the newly converted joint account, would those points receive the VIP treatment? I was told that I could transfer my points into my dad's account, then transfer his timeshare to me and I would have VIP on all points, but I would feel more comfortable adding my name to his account, then transferring my points to his account.

If this would work, are there any drawbacks to this approach, other than the (2) $299 fees from Wyndham plus the cost of legal services for the deed change?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can't "add your name to your father's account." You can add your name to a contract within the account. It may sound like semantics but it's not. Here's why.

If there is an account with 30 contracts in it, and the name of owner appears on only one of those 30 contracts, their name will appear on the "account" as an owner choice in the drop down menu that can be selected for any reservation. For all intents and purposes, they have access to all the same features and benefits of the accounts that the owner of the full set of 30 contracts has. But that owner only has responsibility for the one contract that their name is on. This can be beneficial for estate planning purposes.

As a direct relative, the VIP ownership can be transferred directly to you, so if your father would prefer to transfer it to you directly, you could do that and just pay the fee on the one contract. Once both contracts are in the same account, the points from the second contract will also have VIP rights, as would any subsequent resale contracts you might add. The one area that might make me pause - and perhaps others have direct experience with this - is whether the "grandfathered" provision would remain intact upon transfer. If your father is grandfathered Gold with 500K points, you don't want to lose it and become Silver after transfer. (The contract will definitely transfer as VIP to you as the Father-Son relationship does allow it; but I am not 100% that the grandfather provision is also protected upon transfer to you.)

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is not much more benifits from CWA to VIP silver.
I would do nothing. Go back review CWA and silver.
If you do it now, your name on his, your on the hook forever! If one bequests it, if you change your mind, you can say no. In my case we are waiting. Remaining flexible.

I would think about this differently for a couple of reasons.

1. We do not know what VIP level the OP's father is grandfathered into. It may be Silver, but more likely is Gold. There are significant benefits at the VIP Gold level and extending those benefits to the CWA contract would certainly be beneficial, depending upon the size of the CWA contract.

2. He is already "on the hook" for the CWA contract. What he could do instead is transfer the CWA contract to his father and include himself on that contract, and direct that the contract be added to his father's account. As I mentioned in my other message, he would then have access to all the points with VIP benefits, but only be responsible for the contract that his name is on.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presidential reserve drops to platinum. The grandfather remains intact in his case.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mean, I read the first sentence,

So, OP was levelbis he

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presidential reserve drops to platinum. The grandfather remains intact in his case.

No, it doesn't. Presidential Reserve is deeded that way, and remains Presidential Reserve even when transferred to an unrelated 3rd party. In a Presidential Reserve transfer, the VIP portion does NOT transfer, but the PR portion does.

Please don't guess when replying to posts, it's confusing to people who assume you might actually know the answer.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mean, I read the first sentence,

So, OP was levelbis he

Yes, you're correct on this one, he did say he was grandfathered Silver.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please don't guess when replying to posts, it's confusing to people who assume you might actually know the answer.

I would have said that a little differently

Lucasfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I don't feel that I will be on the hook for my father's portion of maintenance fees. He owns 154k EOY and he has two PIC weeks that allow him to keep the VIP status. The maintenance fees are not too much on his 154k EOY contract.

I find great value in being able to receive 25% off for 60 day check ins, but I find even greater value in being able to upgrade that reservation from a 1 br to a 2+br and possibly presidential within the 30 day window. As a family of 6, I will sometimes book through my father's account and rent points as opposed to using my own CWA contract. More times than not, I don't have the points necessary for the same unit that I am able to upgrade through his VIP account. Nearly 70% of my points are used to book a 6 night summer vacation at the beach.

It seems as though Rob's advice of adding my name to my father's account, then transferring my CWA contract over to his account will be the way to go.

Thanks again for your time.