• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP SPECIFIC UNIT REQUEST " GONE WITH THE WIND "

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. First, this is a major sales tactic used by Wyndham and if not at time of booking then at what time and of what benefit is it?

Second, you state that, " As others have said, some resorts pay attention to the room requests and others do not ". So this confirms that in my opinion this top Wyndham sales tactic and written words within the directory mean absolutely nothing. Also, does this mean that the verbal promise that we received from not only management but also Wyndham sales is false. As far as the basic concept of inventory management, computers can do this if a problem then why promise it. The only exceptions that was mentioned to my wife and I was if the building and/or unit was down for repair or their was an Act of God prohibiting the specific unit request.

Lastly, I have used the specific room benefit over the years and have most of the time been successful in obtaining a like unit in at least the building with the like view of the room requested. This is reasonable and fair to me. But I have recently rum into situations where a non-VIP and non-home resort owner has been given room in the building we requested and we were told there was no longer availability in that building. If allocating the specific unit at time of booking is not possible why pretend that this is a VIP benefit?

You may kick me out of this forum for stepping on toes but I am pointing out things that potential buyers along with now present Wyndham owners should know before they consider VIP. Deceptive sales tactics are not allowed in other industries and should not be within the timeshare industry.
Legislation is needed. Also, as a moderator, I don't know why you let other regular poster, some who are not even owners, attack the new guy on the block. The new guy only wants an unbiased debate about the good, the bad and the ugly of Wyndham. What's wrong with that? If this never ending attack by the same old posters did not occur I am sure you would see more good TUGGERS participating in forums that are designed to give both sides of the picture and to obtain knowledge from the site.
I have found in my 40 years with Wyndham most resorts don't even receive the request due to how old their system. The others ignore them and hand them out as cleaned. Always before and after the introduction of the benefit. Always. How many times even when you received the room did you tell them the room number you requested. I don't understand why if you see a upgrade but didn't receive did you not rebook it with the discount? That's a better deal.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
I have found in my 40 years with Wyndham most resorts don't even receive the request due to how old their system. The others ignore them and hand them out as cleaned. Always before and after the introduction of the benefit. Always. How many times even when you received the room did you tell them the room number you requested. I don't understand why if you see a upgrade but didn't receive did you not rebook it with the discount? That's a better deal.

Sorry but you are either not a 40 year member(Wyndham wasn't in existence 40 years ago) or forgot the DO NOT MOVE upon the confirmation of the room requested at the time of booking which was in existence over 10 years ago. My wife and I have been VIPs throughout Fairfield and Wyndham since the beginning along with being Cendent stockholders. Most deniers on this issue are either ignorant or biased. The fact is if Wyndham control inventory methods worked blemish free then why don't Wyndham recognize their promised SPECIFIC ROOM benefits to VIPs?

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
After a hiatus, I have reviewed the posts and most are now on target thanks to a few of the long time Fairfield/Wyndham owners. So much misinformation was posted in the past about the VIP specific room request but now it seems to have become much clearer. The facts are:
1. this benefit is still one of the most important Wyndham selling points but in reality it no longer exists. Why?
2. when we became VIPs we used this benefit extensively. Wyndham's inventory control system was able to book our room request at time of booking and when we put a DO NOT MOVE on the request had that room for our entire stay. (up to 3 months in certain instances at high demand resorts)
3. as a family, this benefit was very important to us and perhaps to those owners considering to move up the VIP Wyndham ladder. If gone, this should be fully disclosed by Wyndham sales in writing. At present, it still exists with close to the same past wording. Why?

I was harshly attacked and told by members of this forum that I was wrong. I failed to mention that I attended a few stockholder's meeting and became friendly with some of Wyndham's SVP like Mary Mahoney/Deanne Gabel who along with some regional and resort manager told me that the benefit meant if available " at the time of booking "..........Of course this is history and the past is not the present.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry but you are either not a 40 year member(Wyndham wasn't in existence 40 years ago) or forgot the DO NOT MOVE upon the confirmation of the room requested at the time of booking which was in existence over 10 years ago. My wife and I have been VIPs throughout Fairfield and Wyndham since the beginning along with being Cendent stockholders. Most deniers on this issue are either ignorant or biased. The fact is if Wyndham control inventory methods worked blemish free then why don't Wyndham recognize their promised SPECIFIC ROOM benefits to VIPs?
Ummm Fairfield. I owned at Fox Run who left Wyndham and I rejoined. Yea Cendent was a short period in time. I personally don't care if you believe me or not.

As a great philosopher once said ain't no skin of my nose.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ummm Fairfield. I owned at Fox Run who left Wyndham and I rejoined. Yea Cendent was a short period in time. I personally don't care if you believe me or not.

As a great philosopher once said ain't no skin of my nose.

Because most of the resorts systems don't receive the request. Or the owner of the unit it booked it rather than trade. It is down for remodel. Two people made the request for the same unit on the same date and he booked three minutes before you.
There's probably more.

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
I read this and see a lot of harsh comments and snappy comebacks. I am as guilty of trollish comments as anyone in these forums. But to the op: a lot of folks here have been here so long they’ve lost their understanding of what it means to be lied to and misled. They figured out the system and now they gleefully blame the victims of the false advertising and broken promises. You have your promise in black and white. I would try the BBB if they are members. Post a complaint. I got super quick TLC there over an II issue. Like you I got taken behind the shed by commenters who say I should have known better. And yet, the company made me whole. Just the one time so in the future I should know the rules. All the fine fine print we are supposed to read. Best of luck.
PS When I had prepaid legal I often drafted a letter myself and they would review and send it on their letterhead, one time included with membership. The letter refers them back to you for future contact. That worked really well for a couple times I got scammed. Either way, explain how they have broken their contract and you want x, y and z to make you whole. if it’s not too big of an ask you may well get it. Then carry on like these other tuggers, savvier and wiser.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because most of the resorts systems don't receive the request. Or the owner of the unit it booked it rather than trade. It is down for remodel. Two people made the request for the same unit on the same date and he booked three minutes before you.
There's probably more.

Sorry but I must clarify your statements. First, I never said that you were not a 40 years member if you misunderstood my post where I used or I apologize but here is how it used to work. First, the VIP called the VIP line and the representative asked for the typical information along with the specific unit number if you requested one. He/she was able to track the information on a central inventory system and they were able to tell you if the unit was available for your length of stay. If so, and the availability extended beyond a single week, the representative asked if you wanted a DO NOT MOVE placed on the reservation. If so, this was actually the unit number and DO NOT MOVE was on the reservation you received. They did mention that if the room was down for maintenance or if there was a natural disaster this would void the availability of the unit.

If they were able to do it then (in the dark ages) why not now? This was the only reason we became VIPs and when it was no longer working we protested to either Mary Mahoney or Deanne Gabel, both top level management, and received help throughout their tenure with Wyndham. After that nothing seemed to help and promises by management in most cases was ' Gone With The Wind of Wyndham Sales ".

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
If they were able to do it then (in the dark ages) why not now?
As best I can tell, it’s this:
And from a non-IT perspective, it seems clear to me that this was possible because pre-Voyager, each suite basically had 52 “chunks” of time per year and depended on a particular check-in/check-out day, and now each suite has 365 chunks that each stand alone equally. The chunks could be broken into 3 or 4 night subsections (and in certain seasons or in the ERP, more flexible lengths), but still functioned as a fragment of the original chunk - which is why we had split reservations that pasted together fragments of different week chunks (and could potentially require a room change and did require double housekeeping unless you called back after your stay and requested a refund if you didn’t have to move).
That’s when we gained the ability to book any length stay (well, subject to a 2 or 3 night minimum to 14 days) in any season with any check-in day, rather than being largely limited to 3, 4, or 7 day stays (booked before the ERP) with specific check-in or check-out days - so it was a trade off.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Sorry but I must clarify your statements. First, I never said that you were not a 40 years member if you misunderstood my post where I used or I apologize but here is how it used to work. First, the VIP called the VIP line and the representative asked for the typical information along with the specific unit number if you requested one. He/she was able to track the information on a central inventory system and they were able to tell you if the unit was available for your length of stay. If so, and the availability extended beyond a single week, the representative asked if you wanted a DO NOT MOVE placed on the reservation. If so, this was actually the unit number and DO NOT MOVE was on the reservation you received. They did mention that if the room was down for maintenance or if there was a natural disaster this would void the availability of the unit.

If they were able to do it then (in the dark ages) why not now? This was the only reason we became VIPs and when it was no longer working we protested to either Mary Mahoney or Deanne Gabel, both top level management, and received help throughout their tenure with Wyndham. After that nothing seemed to help and promises by management in most cases was ' Gone With The Wind of Wyndham Sales ".
I think it worked just a little bit different. Pre-voyager when you booked a reservation, you were being assigned a room at that time. It was the way the system was architectured. For everyone. Only VIPs (if they called in) could see it (or ask if a particular room was available or not). We were more apt to call and say 'we need 4 rooms on the same floor, or 4 ocean front rooms, etc and the VC's could look and see what rooms were there and be able to book our reservation accordingly. (For example they could see the 4 corner units, I think there 3 bedrooms, were available on the 8th floor of Ocean Boulevard). We booked those 4 rooms (the VC did it, not us) and she put a 'DO NOT MOVE' on it. It meant don't move those 4 rooms for that particular reservation. We weren't booking beyond the one week. But if we were, I'm sure the same concept applied with additional notes if we were there multiple weeks? Conversely, you could have called and asked if room 123 was available and they could check and see, it it was, book you in it and put on a 'DO NOT MOVE'. And do that for extra weeks, I'm sure (they could tell if it was available). Once a room was booked they would not give it to someone else (even if the 1st person didn't have a 'DO NOT MOVE' on it). Of that, I'm pretty sure.

That's why we saw split reservations. If you were booking some nights in one week, say W, Th, F. And then the next four nights were in the next timeshare week (Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues). The system would show you all 7 nights, but as a split it - you'd be booking 3 nights + 4 nights. And you were at risk of a room change. You might have been able to book it checking in on an off day, but it was booked with this type functionality. Once it booked - you actually saw 2 reservations in your list of reservations. They were 2 reservations. you could cancel one and keep the other. I would call and ask resorts to combine those - that had to be done at the resort, they had a way to combine them - some resorts anyways. At some point management of reservations is up to the resort - even in the old days.

The new system does not assign the room when you book. Your request is a comment, at best. Some resorts do better than others at honoring those. Understanding this basic difference in how the system works, allows you to understand why the old (dark ages) way would give you a much better chance of getting the room you 'reserved'. And we would almost always get what we wanted (unless, as you said, a maintenance type situation). I miss that. You made me miss it more. I'd settled into "oh, isn't that nice, the resort gave me an ocean front, like I requested" - when really - they should be bending over backwards to meet our requests - as it was a benefit (somewhat) lost.

Which is why I think it's a good idea to contact people like Michael Brown and remind them how it worked and that they should remind the resorts of that, as well. I think programmatically it would be difficult to work the old way - put policy-wise - resorts have the ability to make that happen (esp if it's one room wanting a particular view - or 2 rooms close). Many do a great job of it. Although the days of family on one floor haven't happened - oh probably since 2017, lol.

Totally how I perceive what is going on, I could be wrong, but I don't think so :)

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score

I dId not know that. For most of those years I owned unit 314 at Fox Run. Week 23. It was VARIETY.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I dId not know that. For most of those years I owned unit 314 at Fox Run. Week 23. It was VARIETY.

Yep, that's the factual truth which sometimes is hard to get from Wyndham et al.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

I'm trying my best not to sound like a broken record here - but we have already answered this question. The answer is because they changed the entire architecture of the computer system when Voyager was implemented back in 2017 to no longer allow centralized room assignments - moving this function to a distributed model that allows the resorts to control and manage room assignments. When this change was made - at least in part per the request of the resorts according to my conversations with a few resort managers since this topic was raised - this meant that the ability to assign rooms using the program manager's software was removed - hence the implementation of the special request function that has been in place since. I do intend to capture a list of legacy VIP perks like this that have gradually been deprecated over time - and to socialize these ideas with Wyndham senior management - the current versions of Mary and Deanne in other words. We'll see where that takes us - but I wouldn't get any hopes up for any big changes specific to this issue - especially in the near term.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I too am not trying to sound like a broken record but the issue is not solved. As stated previously I will too be in contact with Wyndham. I always appreciate you comments and I know your comments to Wyndham will help them realize that this is an important issue to legacy owners. I understand that there is a new system but am in total disagreement with Wyndham's decision. The old system worked well and now VIPs have no power greater than a resale purchaser when it comes to room assignments. It is first come, first serve basis and in certain instances perhaps it is a who you know and more basis.

I should note that when benefits depreciate so does the value of being a VIP not to mention the depreciation of value of the owner's initial investment. We have also experienced a situation where we were notified that the resort overbooked. This was in the middle of a 3 month stay and after the resorts took over their own room inventory management. There was also no availability in any of the other close Wyndham resorts and many folks were put up in motels during this spring break week. Clearly, this wasn't an improvement over the old system and after no room was found for us we were given a partial payment on a cruise for that week.

I have heard so many fellow Wyndham old time VIPs complain about Wyndham's taking away VIP benefits which they had prior to Voyager. In the world of modern technology, there is no reason that an efficient room distribution system which is fair to those who invested in becoming VIPs. The fact is Wyndham's website has more problems than it did prior to Voyager. I've sold my Wyndham stock knowing that some day these acts of mismanagement will eventually catch up to Wyndham.

Thanks again for you help.

troy12n

Reaction score
I too am not trying to sound like a broken record

Well, I don't think there's any avoiding that at this point. People have repeatedly given you advice, and you purposely choose to not listen. I don't know what you want at this point. The system changed, that ship sailed, there's no going back.

Don't like it, get off the train... use your platinum membership, or give it back

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I too am not trying to sound like a broken record but the issue is not solved. As stated previously I will too be in contact with Wyndham. I always appreciate you comments and I know your comments to Wyndham will help them realize that this is an important issue to legacy owners. I understand that there is a new system but am in total disagreement with Wyndham's decision. The old system worked well and now VIPs have no power greater than a resale purchaser when it comes to room assignments. It is first come, first serve basis and in certain instances perhaps it is a who you know and more basis.

I should note that when benefits depreciate so does the value of being a VIP not to mention the depreciation of value of the owner's initial investment. We have also experienced a situation where we were notified that the resort overbooked. This was in the middle of a 3 month stay and after the resorts took over their own room inventory management. There was also no availability in any of the other close Wyndham resorts and many folks were put up in motels during this spring break week. Clearly, this wasn't an improvement over the old system and after no room was found for us we were given a partial payment on a cruise for that week.

I have heard so many fellow Wyndham old time VIPs complain about Wyndham's taking away VIP benefits which they had prior to Voyager. In the world of modern technology, there is no reason that an efficient room distribution system which is fair to those who invested in becoming VIPs. The fact is Wyndham's website has more problems than it did prior to Voyager. I've sold my Wyndham stock knowing that some day these acts of mismanagement will eventually catch up to Wyndham.

Thanks again for you help.

Have you read Don Quixote like I recommended way back? You seem to like the idea of tilting at windmills.

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Will never forget staying at Wyndham in Myrtle Beach and all the folks in their 80’s we met, some “updated” up to a million points and still hard-selling them. Really lost my admiration for Wyndham. They take advantage of and abuse sweet elderly folks was my takeaway.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you read Don Quixote like I recommended way back? You seem to like the idea of tilting at windmills.
Been there and read that. Life is too short to worry about those who are lost in the world of unrealism and waste time talking about it.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will never forget staying at Wyndham in Myrtle Beach and all the folks in their 80’s we met, some “updated” up to a million points and still hard-selling them. Really lost my admiration for Wyndham. They take advantage of and abuse sweet elderly folks was my takeaway.
These are the legacy owners like us who have been hurt by the unscrupulous sales tactics Wyndham condones. Thank you for noticing.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Been there and read that. Life is too short to worry about those who are lost in the world of unrealism and waste time talking about it.
Unfortunately, you don't realize that's a perfect description of your inane posts on this forum.

Last edited:

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately, you don't realize that's a perfect description of your inane posts on this forum.
Directly or indirectly, I have never been called stupid before. My parents taught me " if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all " and " silence is golden ". This is an example of good parenting and courteous logical posting not stupid posting.

Last edited:

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A good related topic which basically expands on one of the problems we are having with Wyndham is Disappointed with Palm Aire. Please take a look. This solidifies my opinion that Wyndham should take also another look at their broken de-centralized reservation system and chose a different functional method of restoring it to their past system. A system which supported reserving specific units at the time of booking. This is an important benefit they promote which presently means nothing and has gone with the Wyndham wind.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Edit: whoops, already covered. Read to the end, Sarah!
Just another attempt to evade the truth.

Again my true or false question is: Therefore, the truth is that the VIP benefit of the ABILITY TO RESERVE SPECIFIC UNITS....Request a specific unit number when making reservations only means that if the unit is available at the time you are assigned a unit (most likely when you arrive at the resort) and the availability of that unit during high demand is highly unlikely. It has nothing to do with if the unit was available at the time of reservation.

True or false?
And then please explain how is this a VIP benefit if a Wyndham VIP and Home Resort Owner arrives 5 minutes after the room he or she reserved 13 months previously is given to a nonVIP and nonHomeResort owner????

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Edit: whoops, already covered. Read to the end, Sarah!

I don't know what you think I was trying to say there (5 weeks ago!), but I can assure you it's not whatever you're assuming. I'll extend the benefit of the doubt that you don't fully understand the particularities of how this message board functions. Once a user makes a post or comment, they can't delete it - only edit it. I had made an immediate comment replying to someone (probably you) without reading to the bottom of the thread. After posting my reply, I continued reading to the bottom and found that another user had made the same point (and if I had to guess, I think it was chapjim's response here, which was surely more succinct and clearer than whatever I had said). So when I got to the bottom of the thread I edited my post to remove the redundant reply (no need to pile on if it's already been said) with a self-deprecating dig at myself. That's all.

Though since I'm here, I'll mention something else that I noticed lately.
Directly or indirectly, I have never been called stupid before. My parents taught me " if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all " and " silence is golden ". This is an example of good parenting and courteous logical posting not stupid posting.
Consider yourself lucky. In the last few months, I've been called insane, attention-seeking, shameful, and evasive right here on this forum by someone who didn’t choose to hold their tongue.

Another sign of insanity is repeating the same question many times after it has been answered. Honestly, do you need that much attention?

I am ending my participation in this thread now. Surely many including PaxSarah knew that the " conflict with Wyndham " meant having an employment contract not individual timeshare contracts. Taking things out of context on purposes to be used against a fellow TUGger is shameful.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Again my true or false question is: Therefore, the truth is that the VIP benefit of the ABILITY TO RESERVE SPECIFIC UNITS....Request a specific unit number when making reservations only means that if the unit is available at the time you are assigned a unit (most likely when you arrive at the resort) and the availability of that unit during high demand is highly unlikely. It has nothing to do with if the unit was available at the time of reservation.

True or false?
And then please explain how is this a VIP benefit if a Wyndham VIP and Home Resort Owner arrives 5 minutes after the room he or she reserved 13 months previously is given to a nonVIP and nonHomeResort owner????
True, your assessment is correct. You can request a room but if the room is not available, you will not get it upon arrival at the resort.

Now, in my experience, I generally call a couple days before arrival and check to see what I have been assigned. Might not be the exact room but, it will be similar. I also generally arrive as early as possible to be sure that a 'complainier' is not reassigned into the room I've been assigned. Recently, I did not get a room similar to what I requested and I was told 'that weekday checkins don't see the turnover that weekend checkins do and that sometimes the type of room you've requested is just not available'. At this resort, I've started checking in on Saturdays in hopes that I get the type of room that I have requested. Trying to improve my odds.

I would not say that a benefit has been removed or 'gone with the wind', but, rather would say that the room benefit is never a quarantee.