• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP package scheduled for Spring, should I purchase as LLC to avoid ROFR?

Reaction score
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

A year ago Hilton brought us in for a HGVC presentation. We were interested, but I dont like to make large purchases without researching. Instead, we purchased an HGVC VIP package in Hawaii for this Spring. I stumbled upon TUG and found a wealth of information. Now armed with additional information, I am looking at a nice starter package of 5000 points at $1500 for a property in Orlando. My concern now is that the offer will be flagged for ROFR because we are in the system for the VIP package. In order to avoid ROFR should we purchase the property as a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or am I over thinking this?

Thank you,

SS1234

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't think they flag specific transactions for ROFR based upon your planned presentations. My impression is ROFR is based purely on the price and how much money HGV has set aside for ROFR. If they think the price is attractive, they will exercise; if not, they will waive.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Overthinking. They don’t care. They’ll try and sell you more regardless of where you came from. LLC makes it seriously complicated in any case.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

A year ago Hilton brought us in for a HGVC presentation. We were interested, but I dont like to make large purchases without researching. Instead, we purchased an HGVC VIP package in Hawaii for this Spring. I stumbled upon TUG and found a wealth of information. Now armed with additional information, I am looking at a nice starter package of 5000 points at $1500 for a property in Orlando. My concern now is that the offer will be flagged for ROFR because we are in the system for the VIP package. In order to avoid ROFR should we purchase the property as a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or am I over thinking this?

Thank you,

SS1234

You don't have to spend $1500 for a 5000 point pkg. Few days ago someone posted a Seaworld 5000 pkg for $29.00 with seller paying the closing costs.... Check Marketplace ads...

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Welcome to TUG. Glad that you found us before making a purchase. I agree with the previous posters.

I am looking at a nice starter package of 5000 points at $1500 for a property in Orlando.
Which resort/room size/season are you considering in Orlando.

Reaction score
I have been keeping an eye on the Marketplace as well as Redweek. The one I am making an offer on has a similar price with 2020 MF and closing costs included.

The property I am looking at is a 3 bedroom at Tuscany during medium season.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have been keeping an eye on the Marketplace as well as Redweek. The one I am making an offer on has a similar price with 2020 MF and closing costs included.

Platinum season is better if you plan to own longer, as MF per point are always lower on Platinum packages. Since gold gets less points but still pays the same MF $$, your MF price per point is higher as you have less points and the same money spend.

Buy Platinum if possible or look at your breakeven point for spending higher fee annually for the points you receive. If you only plan on owning for 5 years or under than Gold season is fine.

nobodyhasthisname2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7000 platinum points at HGVC on Paradise
We had a VIP package and bought resale before using it, there weren’t any issues at all. I don’t think they look that closely. I think they have a lot of Florida inventory to sell (that’s always what they try and convince us to buy) so I doubt it’ll ROFR.

I agree with the other posters though, consider long term - is it enough points and how much are maintenance fees per year? Sometimes it makes more sense to spend more up front on something with less maintenance fees, because those fees quickly catch up with you. My maintenance fees on 7000 points per year in Las Vegas are $980....a three bedroom at Tuscany is $1478 - it doesn’t take long for that $500/year to offset your initial savings. Platinum is the best bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I got 5000 pts at an affiliate for $-0-. It was a give-away.
Affiliate transfers only pay the voluntary enrollment fee.
The affiliate controls the transfer (-0- or low fees). -- Food for thought.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
In your first post you said you were looking at a 5000 point week, but there is no 3BR unit in any season that is 5000 points in Orlando (only 2BR units in Gold season are 5K points). If it was a 3BR, are you sure it was not 5800 points? That would be a standard 3BR in Gold season (which I'm guessing is what you were describing as "medium" season).

Kurt

Reaction score
In your first post you said you were looking at a 5000 point week, but there is no 3BR unit in any season that is 5000 points in Orlando (only 2BR units in Gold season are 5K points). If it was a 3BR, are you sure it was not 5800 points? That would be a standard 3BR in Gold season (which I'm guessing is what you were describing as "medium" season).

Kurt
Yes it was actually 5800 points.