• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Villa Del Palmar Timeshare to Taffer Residence Club?

stub216

Reaction score
My wife and I are here on a points trip at GB Cancun (soft opening) and got the sales pitch about everything switching to Taffer residence club. We currently have a Villa Del Palmar 1200pts EOY. When they gave us the final numbers they ran into an odd circumstance with our account number. When we previously bought our points we found out that it was an authorized resale at Rivera Maya and it was an account number in the first 1,000 accounts of the original Villa Del Palmar resort from 2009 meaning that they match point for point. The contract states that they must honor the opportunity to purchase the other half of the EOY contract (making it an EY contract) and also move us to the Taffer Residence Club options (because they don’t sell timeshares anymore they can’t do both timeshares and residence clubs). This means we can purchase the other 1200 points at less than what we paid for the initial EOY contract because of a discount clause (approximately $10k ... original EOY 1200 points cost us $11,600). Moving to the Taffer Residence Club has several advantages over our current timeshare points. 1) we can bank points for 5 years and (still access preferred points each year if staying during the summer months)... 2) we can add out year or “accelerated” points by pulling out year points earlier... example would be pull 1200 points from 2070 and use in 2022 to make 2400, etc. and we lose those points in 2070 ... 3) you can borrow up to 7x your point value to use... 4) we can use our points plus, banked points, accelerated points, and preferred points to get bigger units or longer stays or both (our current timeshare doesn’t allow that)... 5) ownership potential trade-in instead of a lease with no possibility for property value (this is not a key factor just a factor)

the equivalent points purchased today would cost between $40-45k ... if we do this, we would have invested about 21K for the same points under this contract clause

I’m still at the resort and within my 5 day rescind clause so hoping to get some feedback!

long winded intro.... So my questions are:
  1. Is the Taffer Residence Club a good change for the Villa Group compared to the older timeshare plans that they have sold?
  2. Does it make sense to exercise this option to move to an EY1200 point residence club because it substantially increases our point flexibility and usability?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Here's another thread about Taffer: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/tafer-residence-club-opinions.311718/

Being this is a Mexican timeshare purchase and you don't fully understand what you have bought or how it's going to work, I'd recommend you rescind NOW while you can. After you've fully researched this company and what you were offered and you understand it all, they would be happy to sell you anything they could convince you to buy. Don't go back to the sales office to try to rescind. See if you can find a member services office that can help you. Would you really make any other kind of purchase for many thousands of dollars based on just what an unknown salesman tells you?

This statement really sounds like a salesman's line: "When they gave us the final numbers they ran into an odd circumstance with our account number. When we previously bought our points we found out that it was an authorized resale at Rivera Maya and it was an account number in the first 1,000 accounts of the original Villa Del Palmar resort from 2009 meaning that they match point for point." What a lucky break for you!!:) I wonder how many other "odd circumstances" they run across in trying to sell this!

Let us know how this all plays out. Best wishes!

stub216

Reaction score
Here's another thread about Taffer: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/tafer-residence-club-opinions.311718/

Being this is a Mexican timeshare purchase and you don't fully understand what you have bought or how it's going to work, I'd recommend you rescind NOW while you can. After you've fully researched this company and what you were offered and you understand it all, they would be happy to sell you anything they could convince you to buy. Don't go back to the sales office to try to rescind. See if you can find a member services office that can help you. Would you really make any other kind of purchase for many thousands of dollars based on just what an unknown salesman tells you?

This statement really sounds like a salesman's line: "When they gave us the final numbers they ran into an odd circumstance with our account number. When we previously bought our points we found out that it was an authorized resale at Rivera Maya and it was an account number in the first 1,000 accounts of the original Villa Del Palmar resort from 2009 meaning that they match point for point." What a lucky break for you!!:) I wonder how many other "odd circumstances" they run across in trying to sell this!

Let us know how this all plays out. Best wishes!
I agree with you on it sounds and felt like a sales tactic. I felt like they knew we weren’t interested and shifted gears on how to get us to buy something. The fact that we would be paying less for the same thing that we did originally is probably what caused us to pause and consider this.

At this point, i’ll be going back down today or tomorrow to rescind. Like you said, these options will always be available and for cheaper on resale market.