• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta video message

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, maybe it has been and I just missed it. Any comments on the video message from Ivan Chavez?

I'm not good a attaching links so one of you can add it mine doesn't work.

While watching his message, I couldn't help but compare to Marriott, HGVC, Wyndham, Disney. What a great PR team. He really hits every angle and does is a way that appears very sincere.

Almost makes me forget the sales staff, and I can't wait to go back!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I saw that a few days ago. There’s a bit of a contrast between what he says about taking care of the Vidanta employees and what is in the Mexican press about layoffs; we’ve heard from folks we know on the hotel side staff (not sales) that they are out of work. Haven’t heard from any actual Vidanta employees that they’re getting paychecks. Hopefully there’s more to it than just PR for that aspect.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
FYI - you can watch Karla Chavez give the same message in Spanish.

I am hoping there is some truthfulness on hotel,staff getting some income .
As a significant employer I am hopeful that the Mexican government works with major employers
to funnel relief funds to the Mexican population .

One interesting thing Canada has done is use the Canada Revenue Agency ( CRA = IRS ) to funnel
money in addition to the the EI ( Unemployment ) which was being overwhelmed by applications and generally
takes a couple of weeks to,process new applications anyway.

The CRA generally processes 23 + million tax forms / refunds etc from a population of 34 million .
They do this in April & May every year . The CERB ( Canada Emergency Relief Benefit ) started taking
applications on Monday April 6 using the CRA computer system ( Monday was for those born in Jan-Feb-March)
and there are reports of electronic direct deposits by Weds April 8 .

There are requirements ; and if you are outright lying it will likely come out in the wash since you would be trying to scam the taxman . The amount is $ 500 week backdated to March 15 - if you have had no earned income since then. You can remain “ attached” to a business that is currently closed .( ie) a restaurant server currently getting 0 shifts because only takeout is operating etc .

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Vidanta is generally good to their employees. I remember back in 2006, right after a hurricane, we were there 10 days later. Only one building was available our first week, but they had more for Thanksgiving week. All the staff was scurrying around. One of the receptionists told me that for the first 2 days, she was in the big pool helping scoop sand out so that they could clean it. Then she helped in other areas that just needed extra bodies for cleaning. They rotated the housekeepers, wait staff and bellmen each day so that some worked with the guests (and got tips) and others helped clean. The employees were so happy to still have jobs as many family members did not. The staff was all so glad to have guests returning. We have pictures of housekeepers and maintenance men washing the newly installed windows in building 2. They were waving to us as they worked.

When we went that year, we took several hundred $1 bills and had our grandson tip everyone in a uniform at least $2-3. One of the guys watering grass was amazed - he had never been given a tip before. A 6 year old boy loved doing that. He would see people working and come to me for more dollars.

When we go back to PV this year, we will make a point to be more generous with our tips everywhere we go because we know that they will have all lost some income this year.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
When we went that year, we took several hundred $1 bills and had our grandson tip everyone in a uniform at least $2-3. One of the guys watering grass was amazed - he had never been given a tip before. A 6 year old boy loved doing that. He would see people working and come to me for more dollars.
What a great idea, both for the folks who got tips and also for your grandson to be able to see what it feels like to bless others.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
What a great idea, both for the folks who got tips and also for your grandson to be able to see what it feels like to bless others.
Thank You. It was a highlight of his trip.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It’s a great video. He never did say whether everyone is still employed, did he?