• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta timeshare question and feedback needed

jeffvb9

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
We have been to Vidanta 7 times and are here currently. We use Vistana to trade our week out and also use the Interval getaways for weeks. We were here over spring break, again now, and coming back in a month.

We have been through 4 presentations. The last two times we stayed we were in the Grand Luxxe Residences (4br, 4.5 ba) in Nuevo Vallarta.

So we went to the presentation again Sunday. We were interested in Grand Bliss. They arent selling people into GB right now. Just the new Kingdom of the Sun theme park area. We did not want that. The manager, knowing we had been there a lot and turned down their last 4 offers, just sat with us. No presentation. He said he had one that another couple were upgrading out of he could sell us. $129K for 4 weeks in 2BR GB. We also currently have 2 other timeshares and our goal is not to have 3. We asked about trading those in and they could just take away the liability for us was about it. So we said no and they moved us to the next phase.

Sat with a women that was very knowledgeable. She was offering us into Grand Bliss (which she recommended since we could later upgrade into Luxxe with some equity already in place). Initially we would trade in our 2 timeshares and they would give us $49K equity for them. We pay their legal fee $1500 each to have us removed from them and we pay the $11K in taxes for 2 weeks 2BR Grand Bliss with 2 extra weeks they called something else. At the very end we were down to trading in one time share (Hilton Grand Vacation), paying 1/2 legal fee, getting $149K equity for the timeshare and paying $8000 for 10 weeks up front in 10 years and 30 weeks of the other ($299 fee only for using these weeks and eligible for Vidanta if there is availability). We were close on that one. My question to her was if we buy it and have the $149K equity can we march back over to the previous presentation and then trade it in for the Luxxe at $129K (4 weeks 2 br).

Anyway we walked away and have been talking to her via email for a few days. Seemed like a good deal and a good way to upgrade to Luxxe next month potentially.

Thoughts?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Initially we would trade in our 2 timeshares and they would give us $49K equity for them. We pay their legal fee $1500 each to have us removed from them

This is a fairly common sales tactic that isn't much different than using a timeshare exit company for ownerships you know longer want. If the underlying ownership you are "trading in" has any actual value, they will likely be able to transfer it for you, if not, you will continue to own it until you get far enough behind in MFs that the HOA forecloses. The companies that they use will contact you to ask for the "legal fee" and offer you the option of paying them an additional $3,500 to allow you to just keep the timeshare if you change your mind. Also, Vidanta gets no tax advantage out of these "trade ins" even if they claim they do; it gives them a bargaining chip to reduce the price to something you are willing to pay and they would take anyway without the trade in. If you have any interest in buying into Vidanta and want to divest a different timeshare, do it yourself - it will be cheaper and you will have control.

We have been through 4 presentations. The last two times we stayed we were in the Grand Luxxe Residences (4br, 4.5 ba) in Nuevo Vallarta.

The Grand Luxxe Residence 4 BR units are fabulous, but seem to only exchange in ThirdHome now. Judging from your having exchanged into Vidanta using your Vistana ownership, I would guess you exchanged via Interval International rather than via RCI using your HGVC ownership. Take a look at the restrictions that Vidanta has for exchanges for owners there - at least in RCI you can only exchange up to the level you own there at, which means that if you were to buy a Grand Bliss contract you would not be able to exchange into Grand Luxxe (at least in RCI - I haven't looked at the II restrictions). These restrictions do get adjusted every few years, but that is a fairly common one for them to have. Bottom line - if you want to go to Grand Luxxe, owning Grand Bliss will prevent you from exchanging in there, so that would greatly impact your flexibility.

IMHO, the only good reason to own Vidanta is if you want to go there frequently in the high season; there are typically exchange availabilities in the low and shoulder seasons that can be had for less total cost than the usage fees (and purchase price) for a Vidanta contract. We own with them at the Estates level and are quite happy with how we are treated when we are there, but we do look around at the costs of staying there using other means than our ownership if it's outside January-March.

jeffvb9

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
This is a fairly common sales tactic that isn't much different than using a timeshare exit company for ownerships you know longer want. If the underlying ownership you are "trading in" has any actual value, they will likely be able to transfer it for you, if not, you will continue to own it until you get far enough behind in MFs that the HOA forecloses. The companies that they use will contact you to ask for the "legal fee" and offer you the option of paying them an additional $3,500 to allow you to just keep the timeshare if you change your mind. Also, Vidanta gets no tax advantage out of these "trade ins" even if they claim they do; it gives them a bargaining chip to reduce the price to something you are willing to pay and they would take anyway without the trade in. If you have any interest in buying into Vidanta and want to divest a different timeshare, do it yourself - it will be cheaper and you will have control.

The Grand Luxxe Residence 4 BR units are fabulous, but seem to only exchange in ThirdHome now. Judging from your having exchanged into Vidanta using your Vistana ownership, I would guess you exchanged via Interval International rather than via RCI using your HGVC ownership. Take a look at the restrictions that Vidanta has for exchanges for owners there - at least in RCI you can only exchange up to the level you own there at, which means that if you were to buy a Grand Bliss contract you would not be able to exchange into Grand Luxxe (at least in RCI - I haven't looked at the II restrictions). These restrictions do get adjusted every few years, but that is a fairly common one for them to have. Bottom line - if you want to go to Grand Luxxe, owning Grand Bliss will prevent you from exchanging in there, so that would greatly impact your flexibility.

IMHO, the only good reason to own Vidanta is if you want to go there frequently in the high season; there are typically exchange availabilities in the low and shoulder seasons that can be had for less total cost than the usage fees (and purchase price) for a Vidanta contract. We own with them at the Estates level and are quite happy with how we are treated when we are there, but we do look around at the costs of staying there using other means than our ownership if it's outside January-March.

The last time we went we purchased the week from a guy off VRBO. $4800 for the week in the residence. Didnt think that was bad at all. The prior time we traded our week in for a week at Grand Luxxe and they upgraded us to the residence if we went to the presentation.

My real question is about the $149K equity. I assume we can use that later on down the line towards something else?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My real question is about the $149K equity. I assume we can use that later on down the line towards something else?
Re-read Eric B's first paragraph relative to the "trade-in." Your $149K equity is all smoke and mirrors that they are using to get you to a price you're willing to consider. We've had many people post on TUG relating their trade-in experience with Mexican resorts. They usually end up still owning their old timeshares and paying the transfer co. an exorbitant amount to get out of the agreement.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. My trade-in experience is that I still own my original timeshare, and checking my vidanta balance today, I owe them the same after 42 payments that I did at the original purchase. I'm happier with my Grandview that they didn't sell, than the Vidanta I don't use and resent.

grandmani10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the owners presentation this last week. We stayed at the Grand Luxxe RM as owners of a 2 bed GL. My contract 'residence' weeks renew in a few years and I asked them if there was an advantage to renewing earlier. They said they are no longer selling GL units -- on the 'remodeled' Mayan Palace units they call Deluxe Units. They were willing to sell me a 1 bedroom Deluxe Unit for 'free' - I only had to pay the 16% tax and closing costs on the greatly reduced value of $320k--I asked why I would do that when I wanted a 2 bedroom and like the GL -- and if they are no longer selling any GL units because they are not available, it seems to me they are not more valuable. In the end the original salesperson left without saying good-bye, nice to meet you or even have a good day -- the next was even more rude and last really didn't have anything to add after he tried to tell me all of the costs I would be saving by not having to pay the renovation fees with my current contract -- I told him I didn't have to pay any renovation fees in my contract and that there was no advantage to me to buy from them. He said I could go and I did.

They pulled out all of the 'games' -- how they would rent the first two weeks for 10 years and give me rental income (LOL), how I wouldn't have to pay any MF for life--that I only pay when I make a reservation and they refund me the money when I check in (I didn't ask but I imagine they give you some kind of food and beverage credit?) -- in any event it was 'fun' to listen to the new sales pitches but we walked away unscathed.

The new Deluxe Units are very nice but I wanted a two bedroom and they couldn't even tell me what that would cost.........we had a great time in RM and I look forward to going back.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I went to the owners presentation this last week. We stayed at the Grand Luxxe RM as owners of a 2 bed GL. My contract 'residence' weeks renew in a few years and I asked them .....
They pulled out all of the 'games' -- how they would rent the first two weeks for 10 years and give me rental income (LOL), how I wouldn't have to pay any MF for life--that I only pay when I make a reservation and they refund me the money when I check in (I didn't ask but I imagine they give you some kind of food and beverage credit?) -- in any event it was 'fun' to listen to the new sales pitches but we walked away unscathed.
....we had a great time in RM and I look forward to going back.
My sense is the presentations to owners - by the RM Vida sales force is sometimes a little more “out there” than Nuevo.
( this perception comes from occasional TUG postings like yours)

FYI - I recall Grand Luxxe owner @mikenk posting a few years ago about doing an upgrade with the specific purpose of “restarting the clock” on registered weeks. I do not recall the reason he wished / needed to do so.
You may wish to PM- Conversation him to gain insight and information.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I think mikenk not only was restarting the clock, but he was upgrading to the GL Villa for more space when family was there. His Senior Certificate was going to kick in soon and he would lose his free golf and massage deal when using it. He upgraded to keep those and then use his Senior Cert for GB & GM Residence weeks.

We are going to the Grand Mayan in Puerto Penasco tomorrow for a week. They called and said they had a speciial offer for us. I was skeptical, but it was legit - he gave me the awayigo # that they have used for 22 years we have been owners. He also sent an email with that number with his name and extension. I called back and was offered a free week at any resort since their records show that we have not been using our weeks. I did not go into the fact that since we upgraded in 2013, we have been to GL once using a week, GM NV twice with RCI & Interval extra vacation deals and GB for 2 weeks with a SFX exchange. So 4 times in 7 years - but just once paying our MF. (The 4 weeks using exchange companies was less than the cost of 1 GL MF.) We chose PP because we can drive there in just under 4 hours.

We generally do not take the update, but may, just to see what they are saying now - especially since we are not paying anything to stay in a 2-bedroom GM unit. We are not good candidates for upgrading because we have two 2 bedroom GL Master Suite Registered weeks (+4 GL MS Residence weeks) and the renewal fee comes up in January 2024. We are now at 1/2 price on the Senior Certificate and starting next September, we can go free. Once we pay the renewal fee, we will have 10 more years of free. It does not make sense for us as if we re-started the clock now, we would lose 2 years of free use. Why would we do so? I have already run the numbers and know what the renewal fee will be and that they will not offer anything that price.

We have a separate Sr. Certificate that covers 2 of our 4 MS Residence weeks. Our ARP is 12 months for GL (10 months for Jan-Mar), 8 months for GB, and 6 months of other levels. We seldom travel Jan-Mar now that we live in AZ, so we should not have a problem getting reservations.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I think mikenk not only was restarting the clock, but he was upgrading to the GL Villa for more space when family was there. His Senior Certificate was going to kick in soon and he would lose his free golf and massage deal when using it. He upgraded to keep those and then use his Senior Cert for GB & GM Residence weeks.

That was it - Mike is a golfer & the free golf usage is a key addendum for him

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
......We are going to the Grand Mayan in Puerto Penasco tomorrow for a week. They called and said they had a speciial offer for us. I was skeptical, but it was legit - he gave me the awayigo # that they have used for 22 years we have been owners. He also sent an email with that number with his name and extension. I called back and was offered a free week at any resort since their records show that we have not been using our weeks. I did not go into the fact that since we upgraded in 2013,......We chose PP because we can drive there in just under 4 hours.
We generally do not take the update, but may, just to see what they are saying now - especially since .... We are now at 1/2 price on the Senior Certificate and starting next September, we can go free. Once we pay the renewal fee, we will have 10 more years of free. It does not make sense for us as if we re-started the clock now, we would lose 2 years of free use. Why would we do so? .......

The outreach dept within reservations has existed since at least 2013 - I think I may have I booked our first October Puerto Penasco visit that way. I also booked Nov 2019 that way. In 2019 I did ask the caller to tell me what Vidanta resorts we stayed at in 2013 and the dates. I figured only Vidanta reservations would know those details. He gave me his extension & name as It took me a few weeks to decide what week in fall 2019.

Phyllis - you can always “break the ice” with sales by asking them when East Cape will open so you can use your
Senior Certs . ( LOL)

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
A few days ago Phyllis (Pittle), an old friend checked in with me since I wasn't posting much any more ("old" referring to years of friendship). This morning I decided to review the forum and found this thread that questioned why I had decided to re-start the 10 year window a few years back (2016). I actually did this twice. Let me clarify a bit my rationale. When I was really active with Member Services, I was always reviewing my contract to find things I would like to improve, such as :no free golf when using sr, certificate; the rising cost of weekly rates; flexibility in downgrading; transfer fees; entertainment packages and the like - and then negotiate to restart my contract with those improvements. It was win/win: Vidanta got some cash and I got increased vacation value for me and my grown kids. It seems to me that those days of honest negotiation might well be over which is why I basically decided to close down any more upgrades - and enjoy what I have. It has been a good run; I am close to turning it all over to my kids.

That is largely the reason I don't post much anymore; I really don't have any new knowledge to give and so many of you owners are doing great at learning and sharing.

I am actually returning on 6/11 next month on sr certificate with one of my family units - probably with the son who will be the primary owner. I might do the owners update just to take him along to learn the process; he is actually more hard headed than I am - could be fun.

Mikenk

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Phyllis - you can always “break the ice” with sales by asking them when East Cape will open so you can use yourSenior Certs . ( LOL)

I did ask about East Cape. He said it was only Estates now and would be opening soon. We know how long "Soon" seems to happen! :)

BTW - Mikenk & I met at the GM in Cabo San Jose back in November 2009 before either of us were GL owners. Hubs and I are getting "old" since we now qualify for the 1st phase of our Sr. Certificates and next fall for the real deal of no MF. :)

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I did ask about East Cape. He said it was only Estates now and would be opening soon. We know how long "Soon" seems to happen! :)

About 3 years ago - when East Cape was to be Grand Luuxe.
I Internet search / found (and saved as a pdf) a 258 page East Cape Environmental Impact study done in Spanish by Grupo Mayan.

it lists the resort as Mayan Palace Regency -East Cape
I think it is likely from about 2004

coming soon -
LOL

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
It lists the resort as Mayan Palace Regency -East Cape

Holy frijoles, I thought that place was supposed to be Grand Luxe or the Estates/Empire Estates! Or is that what "Regency" means?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Holy frijoles, I thought that place was supposed to be Grand Luxe or the Estates/Empire Estates! Or is that what "Regency" means?
Mayan Palace Regency is basically MP units with different furniture and a few other things. They have 3 buildings in RM called that and the Mazatlan MP that is amongst the Sea Garden units, and then the MP that is on the golf course in Acapulco is a MPR. I have stayed in all and they are just MP units with different microwaves and slip covers. :)

Google Earth has not updated their site for the East Cape area since late 2017, so all I can see is one large tower looking building that is under construction.

I thought it was GL also - at least that was the story back in 2013 when we upgraded to GL. The stories change all the time! You just have to wait and see when it finally opens. This is a snip I made from AimFair several years ago about East Cape. This was before the Estates were added to the options.

1622640365583.png

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Somebody know if are there any construction at GB NV, thanks in advance
There is always building going on somewhere at Vidanta
LOL
specific to Grand Bliss - you could try phoning the GB front desk .

1-The gondala -cable car system is finished & operational It goes near the GB and starts near the beach.
2- Beachland / Salum is complete . This is the area that was previously called the Mayan Palace pool and nearby restaurants and food area.

My information is from other TUG threads and the Vidants website(s)

Last edited:

AndyMaxTrav

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is a "senior certificate?"

I am wondering, following a presentation, if I should have been offered one, and would have benefitted.

Also, has anyone actually had the timeshare contracts they say will be taken away, actually successfully cancelled?

Thanks!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
What is a "senior certificate?"

I am wondering, following a presentation, if I should have been offered one, and would have benefitted.
Thanks!

Senior certificates were offered for about an 18 month window in 2006 / 2007.
They were offered and ALSO required a visit to member services to activate during the same period
They have not been offered since.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Senior certificates were offered for about an 18 month window in 2006 / 2007.
They were offered and ALSO required a visit to member services to activate during the same period
They have not been offered since.
Tom is right, it was offered to those who owned before November 2006 and there was an 18 month window to sign up for it. (I think they may have added it to new purchasers during that time period too.) We went to the Customer Service office in February 2007 when we were at the Riviera Maya. We got them for our MP weeks and GM weeks. Then out of the clear blue in August 2008, we got letters stating that all our contracts had the no pay unless you go added to them! Even the ones we had purchased resale! :)

Yes - the Senior Certificates state that when the owner turns 75, Maintenance Fees are 1/2 price and when they turn 77, there are no more Maintenance Fees. These are NOT transferable, even to heirs. only the names on the original Certificate can use them. Since my husband and I are both on the certificate, we must show our ID when we arrive to get that benefit. My husband turns 77 in September and I just turned 75, so if I were to go without him from now until I turn 77, I pay 1/2 price, but if we both go to one of the resorts after his September birthday, then we pay no MF.