• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta Alternatives - Recommendations?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Vidanta's latest price increase on resort fees to $900+ has me looking for other options for exchanges to Mexico. I'd love any recommendations!

Our criteria:
-2 bedroom or larger units available for exchange, any exchange company is fine.
-Swimmable beach
-Non-AI
-"Nice" resort. This one is obviously subjective. Amenities (pools, water slides) and features (full kitchen, washer/dryer) are more important than fancy bathrooms or granite counters.

We are pretty agnostic as to the area in mexico, although the west coast is easier for us to get to. View from the unit is not a priority.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about your favorites even if they don't meet these criteria. Hoping for a "good news" thread in these times.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll share my own non-vidanta favorite. We have stayed at Westin Lagunamar in the past and loved it. Good pool/beach options, and right in the Cancun hotel zone so lots of access to to good restaurants. Room quality and amenities are nice. Only downside from my perspective is they dont deposit intact 2 bedroom units into II any more. :(

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have now switched from Vidanta to Westin Lagunamar as our destination of choice in Mexico. We had to cancel February reservation but plan to return in December.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I like Buganvilias in Puerto Vallarta. I've also heard good things about Vista Encantada in Cabo.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also like Buganvillias in Puerto Vallarta but the rooms are no where near the luxurious experience of Vidanta (truth told I prefer Buganvillias). The beach there is definitely not great so I don't think overall it will work for Bizaro86. Westin Lagunamar would work and from what I've read there are some great upscale resorts in the Cabo area. I am waiting for some timeshares to be built in Huatulco as I hear that's a great area.

I think the Royal resorts (the non AI ones) would work. Friends own at the one north of Playa Del Carmen but if you don't want AI you have to rent from an owner.

Joan

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Check out the Villa Group. They have locations in Cabo, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Loretto, & Riviera Nayarit. We've been to the Cabo & Cancun locations and liked them a lot.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I also like Buganvillias in Puerto Vallarta but the rooms are no where near the luxurious experience of Vidanta (truth told I prefer Buganvillias). The beach there is definitely not great so I don't think overall it will work for Bizaro86. Westin Lagunamar would work and from what I've read there are some great upscale resorts in the Cabo area. I am waiting for some timeshares to be built in Huatulco as I hear that's a great area.

I think the Royal resorts (the non AI ones) would work. Friends own at the one north of Playa Del Carmen but if you don't want AI you have to rent from an owner.

Joan

Well, the Sky Suites are quite nice, but you're right that it doesn't match the Grand Luxxe rooms. The major plus there is being able to walk out into town easily.

Seems to me that what they're trying to address is Vidanta owners exchanging back into Vidanta at a lower cost than paying the usage fees. IMHO, they should make a decision as to where they want to make their money, in sales or through usage fees. Sales costs are pretty steep and they've eliminated the resale market to a major extent, but it's been cheaper to exchange in at the shoulder seasons rather than use my own ownership for quite a while even with the resort fees.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How does a person get a sky suite at Buganvillias? Most are in the tower and they are not fancy. Like you though location and ability to be out socializing in Mexico trumps a fancy room for me. Every evening we walked to or from the malecon or the romantic zone. Loved taking the local bus down and then having dinner and strolling back when it was cool.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have to own that type of unit. I got mine retail through eBay.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cabo's Grand Solmar @ Land's End is a gorgeous resort on a spectacularly beautiful (but not swimmable) beach. The resort is much smaller and more intimate than the Grand Luxxe/Vidanta properties. The 2BR+ suites are fantastic (some have private, *real* swimming pools) but no W/D in units. Self service laundry is onsite if you need it, though.

The resort has several oceanfront infinity pools and all the amenities (restaurants, bars, spa, fitness center, kids program, shops, etc) you'd expect in a 5-star resort. The staff is excellent.

The location is walkable to the marina and downtown Cabo San Lucas, or take a water taxi to Medano Beach.

I've heard very good things about the Vista Encantada Residences, especially the 3 & 4BR units.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Cabo's Grand Solmar @ Land's End is a gorgeous resort on a spectacularly beautiful (but not swimmable) beach. The resort is much smaller and more intimate than the Grand Luxxe/Vidanta properties. The 2BR+ suites are fantastic (some have private, *real* swimming pools) but no W/D in units. Self service laundry is onsite if you need it, though.

The resort has several oceanfront infinity pools and all the amenities (restaurants, bars, spa, fitness center, kids program, shops, etc) you'd expect in a 5-star resort. The staff is excellent.

The location is walkable to the marina and downtown Cabo San Lucas, or take a water taxi to Medano Beach.

I've heard very good things about the Vista Encantada Residences, especially the 3 & 4BR units.
We were there last Dec in a 3BR [Building-9] top floor and it beats any Grand-Luxxe hands-down. Sunrise & Sunset were phenomenal.
After having stayed in almost every Ritz & St. Regis in the world, this was easily the best room [Size, View, Quality] we have ever stayed in.

Looking forward to our stay [4BR x 2-Weeks] next July at Vista Encantada.
AW0I9704.JPG
AW0I9738.JPG
AW0I9745.JPG

Here are some pics.
AW0I0053.JPG
AW0I2094.JPG
AW0I0859.JPG
AW0I2150.JPG

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
MICROZE, how on earth did you score that unit???? I've seen 2BR's, but never 3BR's in Interval.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cabo Azul is fantastic also.

That's the other one I was trying to remember! I've heard great reports on Cabo Azul, and I'd love to find a week to add on to our annual trip to Cabo.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
MICROZE, how on earth did you score that unit???? I've seen 2BR's, but never 3BR's in Interval.
Exchanged a 1BR Ko'Olina MKO via Interval. Had to pay the $118 Size-Upgrade fee but it was so worth it.
It was for Dec 12th - Dec 19th so not peak.
Followed it up with a 2BR Westin Los Cabos Dec 19th - Dec 26th.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanged a 1BR Ko'Olina MKO via Interval. Had to pay the $118 Size-Upgrade fee but it was so worth it.
Nice! It's great to see trades like that happen.

AleG

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi MICROZE,
I have a question on how you scored that unit. Did you deposit first or placed a request for that resort?
I have II account with a Royal Sands unit (2br lock-off) and search daily the exchange inventory but haven’t found anything nice. So I wonder if I buy a resale MVC unit I would have more/nicer options on exchange or is it the same inventory I have access now?
Thanks in advance!

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Hi MICROZE,
I have a question on how you scored that unit. Did you deposit first or placed a request for that resort?
I have II account with a Royal Sands unit (2br lock-off) and search daily the exchange inventory but haven’t found anything nice. So I wonder if I buy a resale MVC unit I would have more/nicer options on exchange or is it the same inventory I have access now?
Thanks in advance!
I always Deposit-First and place a request early.
However, I found this by manually searching.
I don't believe it was MVC that made it easier.

AleG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Microze! I will continue searching, hope I can have some luck!