• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vida ownership question

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently very happy members of Westin and are currently considering expanding our portfolio. However , the maintenance fees do add up , especially when one considers leaving the VOI to children eventually. We heard the VIDA Grand Luxxe , despite their aggressive approach , have a good product, with pay as you go MF. Could anyone explain how their system works ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Caveat: I'm not an owner, but love going, looked at buying resale (and read an existing contract), and follow most of the Vidanta threads. I'm sure owners will correct any misinformation.

There are many different types of contracts depending on when the purchase occurred and the negotiation of the owner. I'll focus on the newer contracts. Vidanta does have a pay as you go (or trade) MF. Most have a fee every 5 years (typically 2x MF) that you have to pay regardless. The perks (spa, golf, pay as you go, any extra weeks, etc) do not transfer to a new owner. According to some of the owners I've talked with, there are some contracts that allow the perks to transfer, but they are becoming harder to find as resales. In addition, every 10 or 25 years there's another fee (I'll call it a renewal fee--basically if you don't pay, you are ending the contract). Newer contracts have 5x to 10x MF transfer fee on resales. All these fees make it a fairly expensive way to not have to pay MF if you don't go. My advice is to not buy if you don't intend on going.

Pittle and several other owners have written in other threads. Suggest searching and reading while you wait for owners to respond (and correct any inaccuracies above).

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caveat: I'm not an owner, but love going, looked at buying resale (and read an existing contract), and follow most of the Vidanta threads. I'm sure owners will correct any misinformation.

There are many different types of contracts depending on when the purchase occurred and the negotiation of the owner. I'll focus on the newer contracts. Vidanta does have a pay as you go (or trade) MF. Most have a fee every 5 years (typically 2x MF) that you have to pay regardless. The perks (spa, golf, pay as you go, any extra weeks, etc) do not transfer to a new owner. According to some of the owners I've talked with, there are some contracts that allow the perks to transfer, but they are becoming harder to find as resales. In addition, every 10 or 25 years there's another fee (I'll call it a renewal fee--basically if you don't pay, you are ending the contract). Newer contracts have 5x to 10x MF transfer fee on resales. All these fees make it a fairly expensive way to not have to pay MF if you don't go. My advice is to not buy if you don't intend on going.

Pittle and several other owners have written in other threads. Suggest searching and reading while you wait for owners to respond (and correct any inaccuracies above).

Thanks ! So if I understand well, there are a lot of hidden fees that make up for the no regular MF

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Thanks ! So if I understand well, there are a lot of hidden fees that make up for the no regular MF

To be fair, I wouldn't call them hidden. The contract I read clearly stated the fees. It also stated the perks would not transfer.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Given how easy an exchange is for most of the year, I am not sure owning makes sense. Sure there is the new $11 pp/pd fee for all exchanges, but I would think this is still cheaper than 5x or 10x MF transfer fee. As long as you don't need to travel during peak seasons, you should be able to just exchange in when you want to go? Or better yet, buy getaways.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Buying into Grand Luxxe if you aren't in the system upgrading is going to set you back a minimum of $80,000 and that is probably for a 1 br unit. If you want 2-3 br my ballpark guess would be $120,000+ with MF when you use in the $2500-4000 range depending on unit type. Because of the restrictions and fees associated with resale, your unit would be worth less than $5000 and maybe closer to $0 if you ever needed to sell.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Dear Tinkerbell 2,
Please read the thread :
Purchased Grand Luxxe yesterday , should I keep or rescind - started by Seema Nov 10 2015

There are reasons to buy from the developer - Vidanta in this case , if you have the money and are willing to spend it for vacations .
Most happy Vidanta owners use what they own .

Vidanta is a RTU float week system . They build in pesos and collect MF in $USD .
IMO - they use the dollars from selling TS contracts to build / instead of borrowing from bankers to build .

They build for peak snowbird season and are full from Jan - April
with lots of owners and some exchangers ( sales prospects ) . The rest of the year you can easily get an exchange .

Since you list Canada as home ,you may wish to use during peak snowbird season . That could be a reason to buy .

There are a number of websites that rent Grand Luxxe for owners . You can explore that option as well for peak snowbird season use .

The pay MF on use only is in my contract ( Mayan Palace level ) and it is a good addendum - if life throws you a curveball .
I also know that if we do not go , the week expires , and $ 400+ of prepaid ownership ( sunk money ) expires with it , and Vidanta can fill that week
with someone else and make more money .

Go and visit the resort(s) and see what you think .First visit DO NOT GO to a sales presentation !

<Read lots of TUG info especially Plittle & Mikenk and others >

If you visit a second time - do not go to a sales presentation UNLESS you are prepared to negotiate for a few days with member services
to get the contract details that justify spending the money .

I am not sure what the bottom , bottom $$ line is for Grand Luxxe . ( see various TUG posts including the one I mentioned )

May 2018 on - would be a good time to find out ( if you were interested in buying ) since Vidanta is building the Cirque Theme in Nuevo Vallarta and
it is scheduled to open in late 2018 - according to ":reports " .

Hope that helps .

Last edited:

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Tinkerbell 2,
Please read the thread :
Purchased Grand Luxxe yesterday , should I keep or rescind - started by Seema Nov 10 2015

There are reasons to buy from the developer - Vidanta in this case , if you have the money and are willing to spend it for vacations .
Most happy Vidanta owners use what they own .

Vidanta is a RTU float week system . They build in pesos and collect MF in $USD .
IMO - they use the dollars from selling TS contracts to build / instead of borrowing from bankers to build .

They build for peak snowbird season and are full from Jan - April
with lots of owners and some exchangers ( sales prospects ) . The rest of the year you can easily get an exchange .

Since you list Canada as home ,you may wish to use during peak snowbird season . That could be a reason to buy .

There are a number of websites that rent Grand Luxxe for owners . You can explore that option as well for peak snowbird season use .

The pay MF on use only is in my contract ( Mayan Palace level ) and it is a good addendum - if life throws you a curveball .
I also know that if we do not go , the week expires , and $ 400+ of prepaid ownership ( sunk money ) expires with it , and Vidanta can fill that week
with someone else and make more money .

Go and visit the resort(s) and see what you think .First visit DO NOT GO to a sales presentation !

<Read lots of TUG info especially Plittle & Mikenk and others >

If you visit a second time - do not go to a sales presentation UNLESS you are prepared to negotiate for a few days with member services
to get the contract details that justify spending the money .

I am not sure what the bottom , bottom $$ line is for Grand Luxxe . ( see various TUG posts including the one I mentioned )

May 2018 on - would be a good time to find out ( if you were interested in buying ) since Vidanta is building the Cirque Theme in Nuevo Vallarta and
it is scheduled to open in late 2018 - according to ":reports " .

Hope that helps .

Thanks ..it sure brings some very interesting perspective.and tips. we will try to visit in 2018 and meanwhile get more info on the functioning of their system, their contracts etc.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks ..it sure brings some very interesting perspective.and tips. we will try to visit in 2018 and meanwhile get more info on the functioning of their system, their contracts etc.

Please read the many postings on Vidanta ownership in the Mexico region section of forum.

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because I made a mistake posting it ! oops !

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Mod: Why is this on the VSE forum?
Asking a Mod in the thread isn't going to necessarily get you an answer. They don't have time to read every post of every thread. Use the Report link to bring it to their attention.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Mod: Why is this on the VSE forum?
It started out related to Westin...then someone took it down the Vidanta path :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It started out related to Westin...then someone took it down the Vidanta path :eek:

The OP did mention "VIDA Grand Luxxe" in their first post.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The OP did mention "VIDA Grand Luxxe" in their first post.
True, then I took the bait and posted solely about Vidanta...guilty

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Asking a Mod in the thread isn't going to necessarily get you an answer. They don't have time to read every post of every thread. Use the Report link to bring it to their attention.

Denise doesn't read VSE threads almost immediately? Not in my experience... I don't care really - just that whatever Vida is doesn't belong here.

Seem to me to be some type of indirect Vida promotion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise doesn't read VSE threads almost immediately? Not in my experience... I don't care really - just that whatever Vida is doesn't belong here.

Seem to me to be some type of indirect Vida promotion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really sorry about all this. I am a Westin owner who was making an enquiry to find out what was Grand Luxxe all about and how it compares with Westin. It is not marketing at all !

My friends are just back from Nuevo Vallarta and swiched from Intrawest to the Grand Luxxe Residence Club and are quite in awe about it so I was curious.

I posted in the wrong forum but I don't know how to fix this . Mod might need to help if it is necessary

Rina

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am really sorry about all this. I am a Westin owner who was making an enquiry to find out what was Grand Luxxe all about and how it compares with Westin. It is not marketing at all !
No need to be sorry. If David is bothered enough by it, he can report it to mention it should be moved. Given his last post, it doesn't seem like he really cares. There is a right way and a wrong way to get a thread moved.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Grand Luxxe, Vidanta resort at Nueva Vallarta. We are both HGVC premier elite and DRI platinum member. We went for the Grand Luxxe presentation. It is high pressure selling.

At first, they offer to buy our HGVC ($300,000) and DRI ($260,000), to offset us buying Grand Luxxe at $800,000. We rejected. I told them that I love both my HGVC and DRI and I am not going to trade it for Grand Luxxe. Any way, after 5 hours, we rejected the offer of a studio at Grand Mayan level under $10,000. They let us leaving and get us to get our promised gift. At the place to sign out, the rep there just found some forfeited inventory, and offer us two bedroom at Grand Mayan, 5 weeks a year. No MF, Pay MF when we decide to go for the same price. Guess what, We were too tired and told them we like Grand Luxxe, they said that we can request for upgrade to grand luxxe with grand Mayan. So we bought it. When we stayed in Grand Luxxe, we saw lots of owner from Grand Mayan or Mayan Palace upgraded to Grand Luxxe. I guess you need to pay a upgrade fee.

It is a high pressure sale. I met another HGVC elite member, she was so happy that she sold the HGVC to Vidanta and bought Grand Luxxe. I did not ask her how much she paid. Another person after talk to me, she went to presentation, she told to the sales that someone got 2 Bedroom Grand Mayan for 10,000. She want Grand Luxxe for $20,000 for Grand Luxxe and she got it. It seems they could come down to your price. Don't give up any of your good timeshare since I am not sure Grand Luxxe has any resale value. They did tell me that I can let any of my family or friend use my 5 weeks per year. the restriction is I can reserve only 150 days (5 month in advance.) for any unit. We usually take vacation from May. We ski in the winter and did not want to go anywhere but the ski resort in the winter. May is not the peak season. It was very comfortable when we were there, temperature was in the 70's and low 80's. Plug pool was too cold. The swimming pool was not cold. I notice no one went to ocean.

The deal we got is almost like a travel club. We could have free II and RCI, SFX...., We can reserve 5 Vidanta weeks per year 2 bedroom in any of the Vidanta resort 150 days in advance. We can have up to 15 weeks in any of the exchange company without paying membership or exchange fee. We can also roll over our unused week to up to 5 years in the future. It is pretty generous. We did not use the any of them yet. Did not receive our package in the mail yet. I will report when we do. They also issued us a check of Vidanta money of what we paid. It is good for a year. We could use that check toward buying Grand Luxxe within, if we want to upgrade to Grand Luxxe. I hope it is a good deal. As someone earlier mention, it is easy to exchange into it if it is not peak season, so for us, we really did not need it. This was our first time ever being here, and we most likely will return within a year since they also offer us one free week and a free round trip airline ticket for two with this deal. I guess they really want us to upgrade to Grand Luxxe.

We do love Grand Luxxe. We exchanged into it. We got upgraded to three bedroom presidential suite in Punta Tower in the first week. We got 2 Bedroom loft in Tower 4 the second week. It was beautiful. The whole resort with luxurious rooms, they do not have dishwasher and oven in my three bedroom huge penthouse unit. I asked the other Grand Luxxe Tower. They just said if i was in the presidential three bedroom Punta tower and not having dishwasher, non of the other would have it. When I went for the sales presentation, I notice all the beautiful villa, none of them have dishwasher or oven. I asked the sales person that I did not see dishwasher or oven. The sales person just said that none of the unit had it. But my second week in the loft, there was dishwasher, oven, wine cooler and washer/dryer in the unit. So I am not sure. The concierge told me there is only 16 loft each in Tower 3 and Tower 4 on the 3rd floor. So the entire complex only the residence tower and the loft unit has those essentials. It was a heck of lots of works if you have a big group in a 3 or two bedroom trying to cook. I don't know why they don't add it to the unit.

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info ! Keep us posted !

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
At the place to sign out, the rep there just found some forfeited inventory, and offer us two bedroom at Grand Mayan, 5 weeks a year. No MF, Pay MF when we decide to go for the same price. Guess what, We were too tired and told them we like Grand Luxxe, they said that we can request for upgrade to grand luxxe with grand Mayan. So we bought it. When we stayed in Grand Luxxe, we saw lots of owner from Grand Mayan or Mayan Palace upgraded to Grand Luxxe. I guess you need to pay a upgrade fee.
This is a common trick. There was never any forfeited inventory that they somehow just found. If you often travel in shoulder season, there is really no need to buy there, there are always tons of inventory at many of these properties in II and other other exchange companies. You just have the $11 per person per day (until they increase it). Your purchase price would go a long way toward those fees, and then some. I would suggest rescinding now! You only have five days.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
This is a common trick. There was never any forfeited inventory that they somehow just found...I would suggest rescinding now! You only have five days.

Agree. I've been to 4 presentations and they always seem to find the inventory. I have 3 more exchanges this year and another next year. I go to the presentations for the incentives offered (and am upfront with them that I won't buy). DW, on the other hand, would like to avoid them.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We just returned from Grand Luxxe, Vidanta resort at Nueva Vallarta. We are both HGVC premier elite and DRI platinum member. We went for the Grand Luxxe presentation. It is high pressure selling.

Any way, after 5 hours, we rejected the offer of a studio at Grand Mayan level under $10,000. They let us leaving and get us to get our promised gift. At the place to sign out, the rep there just found some forfeited inventory, and offer us two bedroom at Grand Mayan, 5 weeks a year. No MF, Pay MF when we decide to go for the same price.

It is a high pressure sale. I met another HGVC elite member, she was so happy that she sold the HGVC to Vidanta and bought Grand Luxxe. I did not ask her how much she paid. Another person after talk to me, she went to presentation, she told to the sales that someone got 2 Bedroom Grand Mayan for 10,000. She want Grand Luxxe for $20,000 for Grand Luxxe and she got it. It seems they could come down to your price. Don't give up any of your good timeshare since I am not sure Grand Luxxe has any resale value. They did tell me that I can let any of my family or friend use my 5 weeks per year. the restriction is I can reserve only 150 days (5 month in advance.) for any unit. We usually take vacation from May. We ski in the winter and did not want to go anywhere but the ski resort in the winter. May is not the peak season. It was very comfortable when we were there, temperature was in the 70's and low 80's. Plug pool was too cold. The swimming pool was not cold. I notice no one went to ocean.

The deal we got is almost like a travel club. We could have free II and RCI, SFX...., We can reserve 5 Vidanta weeks per year 2 bedroom in any of the Vidanta resort 150 days in advance. We can have up to 15 weeks in any of the exchange company without paying membership or exchange fee. We can also roll over our unused week to up to 5 years in the future. It is pretty generous. We did not use the any of them yet. Did not receive our package in the mail yet. I will report when we do. They also issued us a check of Vidanta money of what we paid. It is good for a year. We could use that check toward buying Grand Luxxe within, if we want to upgrade to Grand Luxxe. I hope it is a good deal. As someone earlier mention, it is easy to exchange into it if it is not peak season, so for us, we really did not need it. This was our first time ever being here, and we most likely will return within a year since they also offer us one free week and a free round trip airline ticket for two with this deal. I guess they really want us to upgrade to Grand Luxxe.

We do love Grand Luxxe. We exchanged into it.

Hi ccwu - glad you enjoyed the resort and plan to go back .

RE: Your purchase - (IMO) -it sounds like you have 5 weeks+ per year(for 10 years <renewable> for $ 10,000 or less = $ 200 paid upfront per week ( if you use all )
The one "restriction" is the 5 month booking window (ARP) / but that works for you since you ski during "snowbird" season " ( when Vidanta is close to full with those using longer owner ARP or exchanges booked 1 year plus ahead )

If my math is close - you save a exchange fee ( RCI =$239) and the resort exchanger fee ( $ 154 week / 2 people ) = approx $ 400 per visit by being an owner .
If you go 2 weeks at a time / 12 visits is your break even point .
Additionally Vidanta only allows 2 weeks per year through RCI ( 1 high season/ 1 low season) .Your purchase allows you to avoid that issue .
< I realize some choose to use RCI , II , SFX renting etc to get to Vidanta more often ( without buying) >

If your happy with the ability to use ( non peak snowbird ) and the accessibility of not having to use your other TS ownerships to exchange - (IMO)I think it makes sense
as long as you use the weeks .

As we all know - Timesshares are an investment in personal & family relaxation .
If this works for you - it makes sense .

PS - IMO - Vidanta is building the Cirque theme park in NV ( opening 2018/9)
and gets their construction money from selling TS . - so they want to "close sales & make deals"
Their " hotel management side" also wants to "fill rooms" in non- peak season
and so your contract - gives more weeks / with a shorter ARP . Everyone(including you) is happy. (IMO).

Sales is hoping you can be convinced to upgrade at a future presentation .

Last edited:

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree. I've been to 4 presentations and they always seem to find the inventory. I have 3 more exchanges this year and another next year. I go to the presentations for the incentives offered (and am upfront with them that I won't buy). DW, on the other hand, would like to avoid them.

Yes. The sales pressure was high. When I signed up for the presentation, I thought it would be easy since we had so many timeshares and no need to have another. We book an 'Rhythm of the Night' in the same day figuring we would be done by noon for the presentation. Rhythm of the night is an open bar cruise to an island with open bar dinner and cirque du soleil style show for $111 (discount with presentation). My party of 8 are all purchased the ticket, and the cruise is leaving at the Nueva Vallarta marina by 5:30, we need a taxi leaving at 5 pm. We agreed to buy at 3:40 and the contract was not ready until 4:13. We did not have time to review and finish signing at 4:30 and rushed back and got shuttle to taxi, got to the marina at 5:25. It was crazy. The "rhythm of the night" was definitely worth going and we had a great time, food was great and show was great. I was upset after the show thinking of the sales pressure. On the contract, there was a fine print "non-refundable." I did murmured to the agent that I did not think it was legal but I signed and agreed. According to resort, that they are by Mexican law that was legal. My husband seems are fine with it.

So my advice is if you ever going to presentation, don't schedule anything with it. We had 3 other couple with us, we got 8 free breakfast, free city tour (US#33 each for eight), and activities discount... That was why we did it. I believe, if you can exchange it, no need for the purchase. I love the resort, but not sure how often we would go. All my friends liked it, I told them if they want to use it, they could have my 5 weeks per year. But we hated the presentation. I would not recommend anyone to go unless you have large group can use the benefit. I do think they lie. How could it be from $800,000 to $10,000? At this point, we are just plan to use the airline coupon for 2, and a free stay to go back next year. They did give us upgraded unit for our stay if you go for presentation. I will post here next year after we return. They told us that the theme park of the Cirque du Soleil would be completed next year.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much is the MF ?
MF + $200 ($10,000/50) vs Getaway + resort fee. Which one is cheaper ?

Last edited: