• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Victim scammed for $300,000 by Timeshare Resale company

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
absolutely mindboggling... quite literally less than 2 minutes of reading on TUG would have identified this as a scam from the start.

Edited to add: This weeks Talking Timeshares episode discusses this scam in particular:

Last edited:

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Recent thread on this scammer.

Ironically, I sent an email about this company to the Chicago BBB through their website three days ago. While there is a soft alert their BBB rating is still a C+ which is likely based on the 2016 entity start date. I advised the BBB that this company is a scam who is using that company name/unrelated corporate entity to make themselves appear legit and also that they weren’t at the address they have listed on their website. As of today no change to the BBB profile.

@STLBBB any way to share this thread with the Chicago BBB?

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Many on TUG have said that the big offer makes people blind to the red flags. This victim admits it.

"Foolishly – I mean, I have to tell you, Dana – greed drove this thing. I kept – the little voice in the back of my head kept saying, 'There's something not right here,'" the owner said. "But that million dollars kept waving at me."

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many on TUG have said that the big offer makes people blind to the red flags. This victim admits it.

"Foolishly – I mean, I have to tell you, Dana – greed drove this thing. I kept – the little voice in the back of my head kept saying, 'There's something not right here,'" the owner said. "But that million dollars kept waving at me."
RX8, thanks you did the right thing.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
These scammers are successful because of people like this victim. He was expecting $1.08M for just one week. This victim had to convince themself that this small condo was worth $56M ($1.08 x 52). Not only that, the monthly HOA fee would have been $2166 ($500 estimated weekly maintenance fee x 52).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't that of what the TS salesperson originally convinced the victim?
I don't think the victim paid $1 million for their week.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the victim paid $1 million for their week.

I don't think so either. I'm saying that the TS salesperson convinced the buyer that it was worth that much but that the buyer was getting a "deal" by paying "only" [whatever the buyer paid for it].

This might be a little off track for this thread but, that's how TS sales people operate. They convince buyers that the interval is worth say, $35,000, and then convince the buyers that they're getting a "deal" by paying "only" $20,000 for it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
certainly the story of the week, and the subject of this weeks video!

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village at bonaventure , sheraton vistana orlando ,
TIMESHARE OWNERS ARE THE EASIEST FISH IN THE POND , IF THEY FELL FOR IT THE FIRST TIME THEY WILL AGAIN AND AGAIN.
NO WONDER WHY THEY SELL LISTINGS WITH THE OWNERS NAMES AND PHONE NUMBERS , IMPULSIVE BUYERS , THEY JUST CAN'T SAY NOT .

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think so either. I'm saying that the TS salesperson convinced the buyer that it was worth that much but that the buyer was getting a "deal" by paying "only" [whatever the buyer paid for it].

This might be a little off track for this thread but, that's how TS sales people operate. They convince buyers that the interval is worth say, $35,000, and then convince the buyers that they're getting a "deal" by paying "only" $20,000 for it.
I take it from the article that the the property in question is a Vidanta TS in Mexico. They are top tier in terms of development and amenities. That said, your analysis is correct. If we apply it to this particular example (and especially if the owner bought from the developer), he may have been told that the retail price of the unit he purchased "X," but he could purchase it for "Y." Several years ago I attended a sales presentation out of curiosity. Having lived in Mexico, I am familiar with some, but not all, of the nuances related to business dealings and law. So, for example, I was told a one BR luxury unit in Vidanta's premier offering was worth $200k. Then, after the magic of TS math, the deal could be had for 75% less.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
It’s hard to believe $300,000 loss. This person is really naive.
In any real estate transaction all/most proceeds to seller or buyer should come at closings executed by title Company

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Still no change to the scammer’s BBB profile as of now. It has been eight days since I sent the first email. I just sent a second email to the BBB again explaining that this “company” is a scam. This time I included a link to this thread.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
The BBB has now updated the Intercontinental Realty BBB rating from C+ to NR. No other changes to the profile.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
In any real estate transaction all/most proceeds to seller or buyer should come at closings executed by title Company

That is correct. However, the scammers tell the owners that the Mexican Government requires that the seller pay these (bogus, but legitimate-sounding) taxes or fees before the sale and transfer can be finalized but that the (alleged, mythical) buyer has already paid these fees into escrow and these fees will be reimbursed upon closing.

Reactions: RX8

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The BBB has now put up an additional alert about these scammers.

What's a little confusing to me is the difference between a BBB profile and BBB accreditation. These scammers have a profile but, under the profile, it starts by saying this company is not BBB accredited.

Does anyone know the difference? If so, please enlighten me.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
What's a little confusing to me is the difference between a BBB profile and BBB accreditation. These scammers have a profile but, under the profile, it starts by saying this company is not BBB accredited.

Does anyone know the difference? If so, please enlighten me.

This is my understanding. A BBB profile can be created at the request of the business or by the BBB (usually due to a complaint). BBB Accreditation is a paid membership that provides some comfort to a potential customer. In return, the member has to abide by certain requirements, including responding to complaints.