• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Verizon FIOS Triple Play

Gerie

Reaction score
I'm scheduled to have it installed on Nov. 22. Phone (existing) TV and Internet. There's still time for me to cancel if anyone can give me a reason not to go this route. Are there any horror stories? Any raves? I currently have cable connection for my television and internet.

The offer is $100 per month for all three for a year (currently paying about $175 for all) free DVR for a year, free router, free installation in three rooms (I only have tv hookup in one room right now).

Thanks!

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please let me know if the package works out for you! I may need to get it after the digital changeover in February.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you currently have Cablevision call them and tell them you are going to switch to Verizon. You will be transferred to Customer Retention and they will do anything to keep you. I did this and got the triple play for $90 a month plus a free DVR for a year. Keep in mind that the taxes on Verizon add around another $30 or so to the monthly total. The will match anything that Verizon gives you and more.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went from cable tv here in SoCal to Verizon Fios in May of this year. Prior to Fios TV service, our tv picture was so bad we were convinced it must be the TV and we were preparing to buy another TV. Then the Fios TV signal started and our picture was the best we'd ever seen. Wow. What a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference. I couldn't believe it. There were a few snags in the beginning about our phone line not being properly trenched and so fort, but in the end everything was fixed. Our bill for all three services is less than it was before and our service is better. So yeah, we are very happy. I think they charge to much for high speed internet. We are paying like $50 a month or something. Other than that, prices seem good.

Janna

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I've had Fios internet since the week it became available here, almost three years now, and it's been perfect, not a hiccup ever. I just signed up for the triple package about the day before they transitioned to "Essentials", so I have at least a year on the "Premier" plan. The big difference is that they've carved most of the HD stations (except locals) out of the standard Premier package and charge $10 more for them... not too good here in SoCal where there are only 40 or so, but I understand there are lots more in New York. (I don't really understand the idea behind charging more for more channels. Whether there is one channel to watch or 1000, there are still only so many minutes in a day. Even with DVR you can't watch it all.) We also got the free DVR for a year, normally $19.99, after which we'll probably just use TiVo which we already have. Are you getting the 30-days-free of HBO/Cinemax? Don't forget to shut it off if you don't want it.

The HD TV signal is stunning on a new LCD TV. Standard def is not really any better than anything else. I recommend www.avsforum.com and www.broadbandreports.com for learning about all things related to TVs and programming and service providers. Avsforum will particularly help you tweak all those picture settings on popular TVs for best picture, and actually explains what some of them do.

When you have any Fios service, your Verizon phone service is also delivered over the fiber. I didn't and don't care about the phone service; in fact I was thinking of dropping it entirely or making it the fourth line on our family cell plan. We only get about two non-spam calls a week on it. But it's actually cheaper to have it than not, even if you don't use it, and it does come with unlimited calling in the US and Canada. It includes call waiting (which I ignore), caller ID (which I like but would never pay $8 for) and basic voice mail (which I had them shut off).

You have 30 days to cancel, and your cable operator will certainly offer you a good deal to come back.

The first bill came. It's hard to figure out because it has a full month in advance, and the partial month from installation to bill date. They bill a month as:

Freedom essentials (phone service) 27.01
FIOS TV Premier 41.99
Fios Internet 10/2 35.99
Total 104.99

One HD set top box rental 9.99

Taxes fees & Other charges totaled 14.23 for 1 month and 10 days, so about $10.67 for a month. Of the 14.23, about 5.50 was for TV and 8.75 for phone (most of that the 6.50 Interstate Subscriber Line Charge), nothing for Internet. This is in California, your mileage will surely vary.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to switch also.

You have to take into account the cost of the equipment and depending on how many TVs you have, it could be a bunch.

I was just quoted the following in Virginia:

Triple Play including unlimited phone and internet
HD DVR (can be accessed by all TVs), 1 other HD box, 3 regular digital boxes
router
remote controls
antivirus, firewall
5 GB of web based encrypted storage
Every channel they offer free for the first three months, $30 extra thereafter

Total Cost before taxes and fees - $157 in month 1-3, $187 in month 4-12. With taxes it goes up to about $215 after month 3.

I'm paying more for less right now combining Verizon phone and Comcast for TV/Internet. What's really killing me is the cell phone charges.

Also, she told me just to tell them to rebundle it in month 11 and they'll keep the same price.

Gerie

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Nothing negative so far.

My main interest in ordering the FIOS is the internet. I basically watch only three TV shows: 24, Prison Break and House. Sometimes I'll put in a DVD. I'm more of a computer junkie. My TV is in my bedroom. I'm excited to be able to move it to the living room.

I currently have cable internet service, and it's pretty fast. It does, however, often crap out on me. Have you noticed a difference in your internet? Faster? More reliable? How about the router? I've never had one. My main computer is a Mac and the others are PCs. Should I anticipate a difference?

I ordered from a door to door salesman. He was charming. He was a good salesman. But I notice that a lot of things he wrote down for me are not in writing on my contract. He used scrap paper. (You'd think with all my experience saying "no" to timeshare salesfolk I'd be more cautious.)

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will not regret the move!

Don't look back. Run to Verizon and get far away from those Cable companies. I love the service!

Blazing fast internet. Upload/download. Tons of HD content on TV it make my head spin!

You will really appreciate the FIOS. :whoopie:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus, Verizon is a really well run company and has excellent customer support.

Don't look back. Run to Verizon and get far away from those Cable companies. I love the service!

Blazing fast internet. Upload/download. Tons of HD content on TV it make my head spin!

You will really appreciate the FIOS. :whoopie:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had the triple pack from Verizon for several years. We've been very happy. :whoopie:

We switched to the HDTV when we got a new TV last year and we love the picture. My husband's friend went from cable HD to FiOS HDTV and he was stunned by how much better the picture was with FiOS.

No regrets here.

Gerie

Reaction score
Follow up--FIOS installed

The installation was on Saturday. Everything went well. The tech was courteous, professional, cleaned up after himself and answered all my questions.

I've noticed a little difference internet speed. When I did a speed test at http://speedtest.net/ I got a download speed of 20,851 and an upload speed of 4,602, for all you tech-types out there. It seems just a smidge faster than what I got with Cable.

The free promotions, dvr and movie package, could make me a couch potato, but I'll hopefully resist. Other than that, with an older television there's no apparent difference in TV quality. My TV didn't automatically turn into a wide-screen HDTV.

Over all, everything is fine so far. The reason I went with FIOS was to get extra rooms set up for television and to reduce my bills by about $70 per month, at least for a year, so mission accomplished.