• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Venting - Noisy People Upstairs in TS

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As I type I'm listening to the little kid races upstairs. This morning we were entertained with basketball dribbling. I realize kids may make some noise, but letting them race back and forth and bounce balls is too much. There's an activity center, a big pool, and lots of areas outside to burn off energy.

This morning we tried to go upstairs with a friendly request to try to keep the kids a bit quieter, but couldn't get in b/c we didn't have an upstairs key card. We called the front desk who called them, then told us the people had two little kids and would try to keep them quiet. Unfortunately it didn't help.

After listening to more racing back and forth tonight we called the front desk again. This time they sent security over. The security director came down and told us the people were irate and said without seeing a noise policy in writing they weren't going to do anything :eek: I just can't believe that reaction!

We're moving to another unit - an upstairs one - tomorrow. It'll be a bit inconvenient, but it's just not worth the hassle to pursue this. :shrug:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's for that very reason (along with sometimes better views) that I always ask for a top floor unit if I have a chance to make a request.

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always seem to get those people over us too! Unreal! :mad:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's for that very reason (along with sometimes better views) that I always ask for a top floor unit if I have a chance to make a request.

Us too. I'd rather hoof up and down stairs all week than put up with noise while I"m trying to sleep in a bit.

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unit Move

As I type I'm listening to the little kid races upstairs. This morning we were entertained with basketball dribbling. I realize kids may make some noise, but letting them race back and forth and bounce balls is too much. There's an activity center, a big pool, and lots of areas outside to burn off energy.

This morning we tried to go upstairs with a friendly request to try to keep the kids a bit quieter, but couldn't get in b/c we didn't have an upstairs key card. We called the front desk who called them, then told us the people had two little kids and would try to keep them quiet. Unfortunately it didn't help.

After listening to more racing back and forth tonight we called the front desk again. This time they sent security over. The security director came down and told us the people were irate and said without seeing a noise policy in writing they weren't going to do anything :eek: I just can't believe that reaction!

We're moving to another unit - an upstairs one - tomorrow. It'll be a bit inconvenient, but it's just not worth the hassle to pursue this. :shrug:

Glad the resort was able to move you to another unit...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Personally I think the resort should have moved those causing the problem. I don't think the resort made the right call on this one, they just wanted to avoid the problem.

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
We just returned from our week at Desert Breezes in Palm Desert. For some reason, I forgot that "all" the lower units there are noisy. :eek: I was reminded our first morning when at 6:30 someone got up to go the the bathroom...step...step...step and then the flush. This went on every morning. As much as we like the lower patio...I would rather sleep. I have experienced that at other timeshares (and hotels) and the key..always ask for the top floor!!

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the resort should have moved those causing the problem. I don't think the resort made the right call on this one, they just wanted to avoid the problem.
I really agree with this post. What happens if one of the couple in the downstairs unit cannot walk stairs - do they always have to put up with noise?

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, reality check....You are in a CONDO!!! not a house, or your home. I grew up in apartments and row homes in the city...its normal to hear noises...why, because you are only separated from other residents by drywood, and wood, with some insulation.

Everytime I visit friends or family that live in apartments its normal to hear noise from above or from the side.

We just came back from vacation, and heard kids running around at 11:30pm at night, so? I tuned them out and had a good time.

Remember, if you don't want to deal with noisy neighbors, maybe you should try renting a home instead of a condo..

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

I really agree with this post. What happens if one of the couple in the downstairs unit cannot walk stairs - do they always have to put up with noise?

You're both right. However, apparently they were, to put it mildly, less than cooperative. The security officer was shaking his head at their attitude. Some of the comments he said they made are not printable (he could only repeat the first letter of the adjectives.....). If this was an important battle I'd fight it, but in this case I'd rather just back off and not make an issue out of it.

I feel sorry for the kids living with parents who apparently not only lack courtesy, but are belligerent when reminded of it.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, reality check....You are in a CONDO!!! not a house, or your home.

We just came back from vacation, and heard kids running around at 11:30pm at night, so? I tuned them out and had a good time.

If we had to, we would - fortunately there's an upstairs unit available. This is the noisiest TS we've stayed in. We can hear noise from the people next door, but those are more normal (to us) noises - conversation, doors, but not running/jumping/slamming.

It's too bad construction standards aren't higher. At the Royal Resorts the most we have ever heard is an occasional chair scraping or high heel tapping - and even that is rare. Concrete vs wood perhaps?

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, reality check....You are in a CONDO!!! not a house, or your home. I grew up in apartments and row homes in the city...its normal to hear noises...why, because you are only separated from other residents by drywood, and wood, with some insulation.

Everytime I visit friends or family that live in apartments its normal to hear noise from above or from the side.

Remember, if you don't want to deal with noisy neighbors, maybe you should try renting a home instead of a condo..

Your response is way off base. When staying in a hotel or timeshare, guests are expected to keep noise to a reasonable level. Kids bouncing balls in the room probably exceeds that level and I would have complained too.

The resort failed by not insisting the guests keep the noise down or face eviction from their unit.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we had to, we would - fortunately there's an upstairs unit available. This is the noisiest TS we've stayed in. We can hear noise from the people next door, but those are more normal (to us) noises - conversation, doors, but not running/jumping/slamming.

It's too bad construction standards aren't higher. At the Royal Resorts the most we have ever heard is an occasional chair scraping or high heel tapping - and even that is rare. Concrete vs wood perhaps?

PJ,

I think you've made the right point here. Construction Standards should be an important part of how we as Tuggers rate resorts. It is often left out that 'he or she was awakened every morning at 6am by the toilet above.' To me, this is just as important, or even moreso, than the temperature of the pool. I like to sleep in on vacation and consider it the best part. Everyone knows not to wake me up unless I have a dive scheduled for 7am!

Cheers!

JB

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Noise at night bothers me, too. We always request a high floor whether we are in a TS or a hotel. Children certainly need time to be active, but they should be taken outside to have fun and burn off some energy and then parents should organize quieter activities when they are inside - bouncing a ball in not an inside activity. Most resorts do have posted quiet hours and should enforce them.

mapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always request a bottom unit because we know what it is like hearing kids running back and forth all morning and all night. Yes you read that right. We actually request a bottom unit because we have a daughter and usually one of her friends along with us and it is really nice being able to allow them to dance and play without worrying that we are disturbing anyone below us. No we do not allow them to bounce balls and the like inside...these are definitely outside activities for good reason.

It would be nice if others with children requested the lower units. We concentrate on enjoying ourselves despite any noise from above do not complain unless the noise is unusually loud and goes past midnight. The only exception for us is our Marriott. We have never heard anyone above us or even next door to us and I am pretty sure it is due to the quality construction.

Diana

Last edited:

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both situations

I've been in both situations. Mostly it's just DH and myself and sometimes adult DS and we like quiet, but occasionally have been with other DS, DIL and 4 grandkids. There is no way we could keep the 4 grandkids quiet enough if had someone in unit below. They are kids, and kids on vacation away from their "normal" routine.

I think the fault lies with the construction of the resorts. I remember one of my first timeshare stays, in an upper unit, in a now Wyndham resort and how much noise we heard from lower unit (adults only).

JMHO
Nancy

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score

It's for that very reason (at the risk of getting a terrible view) that I'll always ask for a first floor unit if I have a chance to make a request. [So I don't have to bridle my kids while on vacation.]

Charles

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always carry earplugs for sleeping aids if needed; but that doesn't help for daytime 'running'. I hate to think of what the furniture is absorbing if the kids are climbing up and down on it.

Reaction score
perception is a strange thing

the first time we went to Smugglers Notch Family Resort for a family ski vacation we had an upstairs unit. We were there over New Year (school vacation week) and had 4 kids aged 2 ,4, 6 and 7 in our unit. Downstairs was a group of 30-somethings who seemed to stay up late at night and sleep in all morning.

After a couple of days we had a phone call from the resort to say that the people downstairs had complained about 'kids stomping around in ski boots at all hours of the night and disturbing thier sleep' and could we please stop.

I explained, very calmly, that my two-yr-old did get up early, about 6am but that it was just him and one grown up pottering about in the living room - mostly he just sat and watched videos with me, and that our 4 kids did stomp about in ski boots - for about ten minutes when they were getting ready to get the bus to ski camp at about 8.30 in the morning!

The resort said, not to worry, sorry to bother us, but they had to respond to complaints, but it was obvious we were doing nothing wrong, and please have a great vacation!

Now that unit did have very bouncy floors - every time you walked in the kitched the crockery in the cupboards rattled, so maybe downstairs coudl hear us, but 6am and 8.30 am at a family resort is hardly unreasonable.

Nevertheless, when we bought our own unit the following year we bought ground floor - not onyl can we walk directly out from the deck onto the snow, but our little herd of elephants can't disturb anyone below!

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in Williamsburg right now on the second floor. I JUST told my 4 year-old not to run and extra quiet until later, so this thread is very timely. People should teach their kids to be considerate of others. Now, kids will be kids, but I try to let them do that between noon and 5. :)

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I am off base. I am just honest. I travel a lot, a whole lot, and I must say on 90% of my trips I hear someone beside me or above me, and in hotels its even more common. Everyone is on vacation, so why should I feel I need to complian, complain, complain to the parent who lets their kid stay up late because they want to. I am not living there, its just a place to sleep and enjoy for the week I am there. If you ask nicely and they don't stop, oh well, get over it, it comes with the territory.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is only common manners to be respectful of those below you. I always take off my shoes and walk lightly during quiet hours. Those parents who let their youngin's run wild are not doing their jobs. They are the ones who should rent a house.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Expecting parents to keep their kids quiet on holiday is totally unreasonable and unrealistic. It's rather like my SIL's neighbours who complained about the noise her son made when going up and down the stairs. What was he supposed to do - levitate?? I do agree that bouncing a basketball is going too far and this should have been stopped.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Expecting parents to keep their kids quiet on holiday is totally unreasonable and unrealistic. It's rather like my SIL's neighbours who complained about the noise her son made when going up and down the stairs. What was he supposed to do - levitate?? I do agree that bouncing a basketball is going too far and this should have been stopped.

I tend to agree with this - they would really have to be doing more than being very boisterous (sp?) noisy children playing to bother me, personally. I would just assume they were having a LOT of fun. To me that is a happy sound, not something that I would complain about. The basketball WOULD be too much.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
PJ
Had this happen to us at Vacation Village in the Berkshires and it was after 11 pm at night with kids running rampant. I raised three noisy boys so I am normally very patient but I was very annoyed as it kept me from being able to sleep. I did not complain as we were there for the weekend. Besides the noise the bed was the cheapest mattress I ever slept on.

I have stayed places where you can hear people talking or water running but this was inconsiderate after 10pm.

After this I request an upper floor wherever we go to avoid this.