• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vegas to Carlsbad

Midwest

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be vacationing with friends from England the end of January into February; in Las Vegas and Carlsbad at the Carlsbad Inn. We will be driving between the two. Internet mapping indicates that it should be about a 5 hour drive. Is this time realistic? We plan on leaving on a Friday morning and driving back to Vegas to catch a 4 PM flight that same day. If we leave about 7 AM will this be sufficient time? Any potential problems we should take into consideration?

Also, we would like to show them something of the real America rather than just the glitz of Vegas and the major tourist attractions around San Diego. To show the founding of CA we are thinking of visiting one of the missions, which Mission would be a good choice? Is whale watching a possibility? If so, where would be a good spot? Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Midwest said:
something of the real America rather than just the glitz of Vegas and the major tourist attractions around San Diego.
While in Vegas you could take a drive through Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, and to the Hoover Dam.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
It's about 325 miles from Carlsbad to Las Vegas, and it will probably take you 5 1/2 hours plus any stopping you do. Leaving at 7, you will probably miss most traffic because it'll be a little early for local commute traffic, and the I-15 traffic will mostly be going the other way until you get to San Bernardino.

Go up Palomar Airport Road and through San Marcos. You can take Rt 78 east to I-15 in Escondido, or continue under 78, turn left on Twin Oaks Valley Road, and join I-15 some distance north of Escondido. Prettier. Ten years ago this would have been very old-california rural road, but now it's -- well, developed.

The mission question is easy. San Luis Rey mission is on rt 76 east of Oceanside and very easy to find. It's active, partly restored, and you can learn something about the mission system there. San Juan Capistrano is also within easy travel, as is the one in San Diego. Both of those are now located right next to modern development; at San Luis Rey, if you gaze in the proper direction, you can ignore the nearby houses and mobile home park. Again, this was easier ten years ago.

Whale watching should be in full swing through January and most of February. Places at Oceanside Harbor do it. Look in that rack of brochures at the resort; you'll find them. Of course you can do this in San Diego too. They usually have a "see a whale or come again tomorrow for free" guarantee.

Oh yes, the stopping on the way to Vegas: about halfway, just before Barstow, get off at Lenwood Rd (not, surprisingly, Outlet Center Drive, which actually seems to go nowhere). Lots of food, both fast and sit-down, and a hundred places to buy stuff to take home. http://www.factorymerchantsbarstow.com/main2.htm

Welcome to California. Toot the horn as you go through Murrieta.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Karen G said:
While in Vegas you could take drive through Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, and to the Hoover Dam.
Yes, they will really appreciate this scenery as they do not have this in England. My husband's family is from there and they liked our desert the best, especially the high desert. We were surprised because we showed them many National Parks in California, the Oregon coast and Lake Tahoe and San Francisco and San Diego too.

David

TUG Member
Reaction score
Midwest said:
To show the founding of CA we are thinking of visiting one of the missions,

I'd consider catching the Coaster from Carlsbad to Old Town, San Diego, and going on the 1 hour free guided walking tour of Old Town-they occur twice a day, 11 am and 2 pm, I think. We found it very imformative and interesting.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
iconnections said:
Yes, they will really appreciate this scenery as they do not have this in England. My husband's family is from there and they liked our desert the best, especially the high desert. We were surprised because we showed them many National Parks in California, the Oregon coast and Lake Tahoe and San Francisco and San Diego too.
Weather permitting, you could snow ski on Mt. Charleston in the morning, then water ski on Lake Mead in the afternoon - of the same day!!

You also could go to Carlsbad via Lake Havasu, and show them London Bridge. :)

mtngal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing I could add to this is to keep an eye on the weather. If it is like it has been the last couple of weeks you'll be fine, but it is possible that it could be rainy and/or snowy (yes, it does snow once in a while on some of the higher passes along I-15). Plan for lots of extra time if the weather turns bad.