• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vail or Brechenridge?

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
The reviews don't look so promosing....Where is there more to do?

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
summer vacation....vail or brechenridge?

Summer vacation...:) Just want to know what Marriott would be best or what "resort" to request using a marriott.

Thanks,
Barbara

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84138

You asked this question before, so why would you ask again on the Marriott board? The nicest resorts are the Hyatts, Gold Point and Grand Timber in Breckenridge. Those are the nicest in II for Breck.

Vail isn't as fun, doesn't have the great downtown area, and I think everything is ridiculously expensive in Vail, even a beer. The areas are very close to one another, so if you want day trips to Vail, to experience the area, then it is a very easy drive up and down I-70.

If you want Vail, choose Sheraton, Lakeside Terrace (also a Sheraton), or Sandstone. Eagle Point is also nice, so is Falcon Point, but those don't have the Gold Laurel recognition from II, for whatever reason.

Steve

Reaction score
Another view...

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84138

If you want Vail, choose Sheraton, Lakeside Terrace (also a Sheraton), or Sandstone. Eagle Point is also nice, so is Falcon Point, but those don't have the Gold Laurel recognition from II, for whatever reason.

I love Vail...and I have to disagree with the advice given above. The Sheraton, Lakeside Terrace, and Falcon Point are not in Vail. They are in Avon. It is a separate town, around the corner, in an area that is not nearly as pretty nor as nice. I would NOT suggest that you stay in Avon.

If you want to stay in Vail, I would suggest Marriott's Streamside...Evergreen building. The Evergreen building was built by Marriott and is quite nice. It's right on Gore Creek, and is a good choice. This resort isn't really up to Marriott standards, but it's a nice place...nicer than the Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge in Breckenridge. I would avoid Eagle Point. It's very dated inside and looks like an old Motel 6 outside. Good location near the Marriott, but a disappointing place.

Steve

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Steve, I know where Avon is, ;) and I go through there about 10 times per year, but those were the best resorts in that area, in my opinion. Vail/ Avon is a nice enough area, but I wouldn't stay there for more than a night to get elsewhere. I have never seen food and beverage more expensive anywhere. Hawaii is cheaper! Breckenridge is my choice, and the food is better and cheaper. Love downtown main street, and we are going up for the day just before the holidays to walk the downtown streets and see the decorations. Love it! Our granddaughter would really enjoy it.

Also, I should say that Swan Mountain is in Dillon, very close to Breck, and I didn't mean to infer it was in Breck. Rockridge is a very nice resort, and I would stay there any day, if that is what I could get for an exchange. French Ridge is fine, but the only unit I ever stayed had a private hot tub on the deck, which always helps.

Steve

Reaction score
Cindy,

I know you know where Avon is. :) It is Barbara who may not know where these resorts are all located.

Steve

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the input about resorts...I didn't know how to compare the Marriotts to the others non-marriott resorts so its nice to know that at least in Vail and Brechenridge, Marriott would possible not be the 1st choice for trading into.

SallyMagoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Vail in the summer very much. You can find inexpensive places to eat if you try. We find eating out at lunch, rathern than dinner, saves money in Vail. There are many fine restaurants. We own at the Marriott Streamside, and have been very satisfied staying there. The wildflowers are gorgeous, and the village does not have auto traffic, which is nice. It is only one hour from Glenwood Springs where the hot springs pool is very enjoyable. Also, you should keep in mind that the altitude is much higher in Breckenridge, if that would bother you. (10,000 ft. vs. about 7,000 ft in Vail). There are many symphony concerts (some of them free) at the Ford Pavilion at Vail. In my opinion, the Vail area offers more than Breckenridge for summer, but there are good things about the Breckenridge area too -- concerts around July 4th, art fairs, etc. Breckenridge is also an interesting town.

Sally

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy,

I know you know where Avon is. :) It is Barbara who may not know where these resorts are all located.

Steve

Yep. :D

What they need along I-70 is a Four Seasons timeshare, so those of us who are very spoiled on our accommodations will have someplace to go. :rofl:

rdh1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Serveral years ago we spent an August week in Breckenridge and took a day trip to Vail. I much prefer Breckenridge. We stayed in Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge. The resort is not the best, but the location is great.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Grand Timber Lodge in Breck a couple of years ago over Easter and it was great! Located right at the base of one of the peaks (Peak 8 or 9) and its a free shuttle away from downtown. We actually walked home from downtown one evening although it was a bit of a hike. Our second choice was Valdoro Mountain Lodge although I usually do not see many weeks there using our Surf Club. I normally see many weeks at GTL using SC.

Watch the altitude! The GTL resort sits at 10K feet so it may take a day or two to acclimate. Breck itself is at 9K+ in altitude. Not sure where you are from in Cali but Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe by comparison sits at around 6K feet.

Last edited:

skifast

Reaction score
Personally, we like Vail. There is a lot to do, along with great dining and shopping.
For summer, there is rafting, hiking, great golf (lots of nice courses), biking, wildflowers, fly-fishing..., but Breck is ok, too.
In winter, there is no comparison. Vail has the best all-around winter experience - better, larger mountain (biggest in USA), lots of variety in ski run choices (trees or open bowls), great ski/snowboard school, better snow, warmer temps, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing... Having skiied all over the world, Vail is our choice as the best all-around ski destination.
Vail also has unbelievable lights during the holiday season, and is situated at 8,120 feet above sea level.
There are a lot of very upscale fractional ownership units coming online in Vail, although I doubt these would be available on trade.

Steve

Reaction score
Yep. :D

What they need along I-70 is a Four Seasons timeshare, so those of us who are very spoiled on our accommodations will have someplace to go. :rofl:

Help is on the way! :) There's actually a Four Seasons under construction in Vail right now. It's located where the old Holiday Inn and gas station used to be. Unfortunately, like other new Four Seasons, there won't be any timeshares. It's a hotel and I think it will have fractionals, but no timeshares...so you won't be able to trade in through II.

Steve

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott in Breck (Mountain Valley Lodge) is all 1bdrm units and strangely designed. Gigantic walk in closet that would probably hold 50 wedding dresses, but the bathrooms are small, both of them, jetted tub is tiny, holds only 1 person. Kitchen is small, no counter space, front desk staff didn't bring things to us (TWICE!) The parking is underground and small and they make overflow park 2 blocks away and shuttle them to the resort. The only reason I stayed there is because our home resort (Grand Timber Lodge) was full and Marriott had room. Not worth the $180/night in my opinion.

Last edited: