• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vail/BeaverCreek Lift Tickets

Kamehameha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WPORV, SMV
All- We are heading to our first ski vacation at SMV since leaving Colorado years ago. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the lift ticket prices. I used to buy a whole season for the equivalent of about 3 and a half days in today's prices. Does anybody know (a) if there are discounted tickets sold in the resort(s)? or (b) any tricks to getting discounts? An exhaustive web search only turned up a small discount when booking 2+ weeks in advance at any of the Vail Resorts. Some of the other nearby ones (like Copper) have deeper discounts, but that's not ideal.

Any experiences or advice?

saabman

Reaction score
Well, skiing is expensive but not as bad as golf. Unfortunately the only way to get a discount on a multiday pass at Vail Resorts is the advance purchase thru their website. Years ago various places offered slight discounts like City Market/Krogers but no more. Your other option is combining a lodging and lift ticket package. You can try Vail Central Reservations.

If you are CO skiing next year the best deal is the EPIC Pass for those on the hill at least 5 days.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm.

Pre season you buy the epic pass

Now you are SOL.

Liftopia is probably your best bet.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does the resort offer a discount if you do a sales presentation?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Vail" and "discount" are mutually exclusive terms.

The general vibe from Aspen and Vail with regard to ski ticket pricing is, "If you have to ask, you probably don't belong here" which is why, as much as I enjoyed skiing Vail in the past, I have not skied there in over 20 years.

Check out a locals' resort, such as Loveland Basin.

Adult (15+) $65
Child (6-14) $28
Child (5 and Under) FREE
Senior (60-69) $50
Senior (70+) $89 Season Pass

I would suggest Ski Sunlight, too, but there are currently traffic delays in Glenwood canyon. Still, if your schedule accommodates a trip to Sunlight, it can be a unique experience when combined with some après-ski soaking in the Glenwood Hot Springs. 4 lift tickets plus 4 hot springs tickets for total of$199 using the online coupon.

vs. $165 for one adult ticket at Vail :hysterical:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's what makes the epic pass pricing so crazy. Buy early season and it is 499 with no blackouts.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

The general vibe from Aspen and Vail with regard to ski ticket pricing is, "If you have to ask, you probably don't belong here" which is why, as much as I enjoyed skiing Vail in the past, I have not skied there in over 20 years.

Check out a locals' resort, such as Loveland Basin.

Adult (15+) $65
Child (6-14) $28
Child (5 and Under) FREE
Senior (60-69) $50
Senior (70+) $89 Season Pass

I would suggest Ski Sunlight, too, but there are currently traffic delays in Glenwood canyon. Still, if your schedule accommodates a trip to Sunlight, it can be a unique experience when combined with some après-ski soaking in the Glenwood Hot Springs. 4 lift tickets plus 4 hot springs tickets for total of$199 using the online coupon.

Highly recommend SUNLIGHT Mountain near Glenwood Springs. Its about an hour further west of Vail right off I-70, but the price is just too cheap! Its about $50 per day for an adult lift ticket (and liftopia usually has specials). The equipment rental is cheap too. Keep in mind this mountain only has 3 lifts (definitely not the high-speed kind), but its never that crowded. Been there 4 times in the past 2 years where our kids learned to ski. Now that they're decent, we're actually going to SMV to ski Beaver Creek between Christmas and New Years this year. I was actually able to book a Starpoints reservation for a 1BR regular unit for 48k starpoints with the 5th night free promo. It's no longer available as I have been checking trying to book another room. I was hoping a 1BR Premium villa was available with starpoints but was not. The price on these were upwards of $500 per night before taxes so got a bargain using starpoints. I was pleasantly surprised that these were even available for booking via Starwood checking in 12/26 and checking out 12/31.:whoopie:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend SUNLIGHT Mountain near Glenwood Springs. Keep in mind this mountain only has 3 lifts (definitely not the high-speed kind), but its never that crowded.
When I go skiing, I go to ... well ... ski. I can readily take 3 or 4 runs at Sunlight in 45 minutes on the busiest days.

I have heard that on weekends, lift lines at Vail can be 30-45 minutes long.

One run off of a high speed lift per hour versus 3 or 4 off of "classic" lifts? Well, the decision is obvious to me as to whether I want to spend my money standing in lift lines or skiing.

Now that I am really thinking about it, though, Vail on some days, may be worth it. Parking at Lionshead must be $50/day by now. Then there is the 10 minute walk to the Gondola, and the lift line there.

But if there are 18 inches or more of powder, the Back Bowls at Vail (on a weekday, when lift lines are short) have no comparison and are worth whatever unreasonable charge Vail Associates chooses to levy.

Now, I just need to wait for that 18-inch powder weekday to arrive.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what makes the epic pass pricing so crazy. Buy early season and it is 499 with no blackouts.

That's good advice and a great bargain ... for the 2016-2017 ski season.

As with timeshares, those who can plan ahead and know where to look for early season bargains, including ski tickets, for where they will be vacationing will be the happiest.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

As with timeshares, those who can plan ahead and know where to look for early season bargains, including ski tickets, for where they will be vacationing will be the happiest.
I live in NYC and have time poor friends who buy that over Killington or Snow or Stratton.

Epic plus two roundtrip air and accommodations gets 10 day's out west for the price of a Killington pass.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think that $499 epic pass price was a few years ago. I thought they raised the price to a bit over $600. Who knows what it will be for 2016-17 season but I'm sure it won't be cheaper. Still a decent deal if planning to ski at least 7 days during the ski season.

saabman

Reaction score
Yes, Vail during holidays, weekends, and powder days you can experience longer lift times. but 25-30 minutes is pushing it. Never in all the hundreds of times I've skied there since the early 70s have I ever waited that long. The key is start early and ski high away from base lifts. Or better yet take a lesson and you can skip the lines.

Loveland is a good alternative, esp the bowl area, but know 2 things: no lodging and base elevation of 10,800 feet. Don't fly into Denver from 0 elevation and ski Loveland the same day. You may end up in the hospital.

snow.com has the info on the EPIC pass. Unlimited was $769 this year but more savings could be had with their Aug sale or order by Labor Day. Deadline was Nov 1. Lots of other configurations: 7 day, 4 day, local passes so other options. Plan early and you can save. I think window rates during high season are $165 this year. I speculate that in 5 years it'll be $200.

No Vail Resort lift tix discounts with Liftopia but you can save with ski/board rentals.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
All- We are heading to our first ski vacation at SMV since leaving Colorado years ago. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the lift ticket prices. I used to buy a whole season for the equivalent of about 3 and a half days in today's prices. Does anybody know (a) if there are discounted tickets sold in the resort(s)? or (b) any tricks to getting discounts? An exhaustive web search only turned up a small discount when booking 2+ weeks in advance at any of the Vail Resorts. Some of the other nearby ones (like Copper) have deeper discounts, but that's not ideal.

When are you going? Passes should go on sale mid March, and usually they allow you to ski rest of season and next. Keep checking the website for details. Pass is priced at about 4+days.

saabman

Reaction score
Passes should go on sale mid March, and usually they allow you to ski rest of season and next. Keep checking the website for details. Pass is priced at about 4+days.

Not quite. Mid March is when you pay your deposit ($49) for the next ski season. Balance due in fall. If you're a first time buyer you can't use the Pass the remainder of this season with just the $49 deposit.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
And I thought Park City was bad! I have forgotten about those lines after a week in T-ride.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that $499 epic pass price was a few years ago. I thought they raised the price to a bit over $600. Who knows what it will be for 2016-17 season but I'm sure it won't be cheaper. Still a decent deal if planning to ski at least 7 days during the ski season.
Maybe but when Killington is $96 and stowe day rates are pushing $100 and the season tickets pushing $1.5k (Killington) and over $2k (Stowe) either number looks a bargain.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Not quite. Mid March is when you pay your deposit ($49) for the next ski season. Balance due in fall. If you're a first time buyer you can't use the Pass the remainder of this season with just the $49 deposit.
I've done this at Heavenly before (you did have to pay in full), so I assumed Vail did it as well. Maybe not.

Sunnydude

TUG Member
Reaction score

My wife and I are heading there for a a few days this week. Insane price for two days of skiing but that is why we are going.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Granted that there is a big convenience to skiing Vail when you are staying there. But a case can be made that the terrain is not worth the full lift ticket price unless there was a recent powder snowfall. The conditions are quite firm at the moment so go to Copper if you don't like the lift ticket price.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Sunnydude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Granted that there is a big convenience to skiing Vail when you are staying there. But a case can be made that the terrain is not worth the full lift ticket price unless there was a recent powder snowfall. The conditions are quite firm at the moment so go to Copper if you don't like the lift ticket price.

Thanks for the tip. We might try there.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was a bit under in terms of pricing. Looks like the unlimited Epic Pass for the current ski season of 2015/16 was $770 for adult and $399 for child. Wouldn't be surprised if it breaks $800 for the 2016/17 ski season.

http://www.powder.com/latest-news/l...rough-monday-september-7/#BRquCW0oZ9X2qB1t.97

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House