• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vaccine passport for Hawaii for mid-April??

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw articles on this this morning. Those articles suggested that the passport would only be good for interisland travel. (In other words, good for Hawaiians wanting to travel to other islands, but not much use for visitors.) The two articles that you posted (particularly the second) seem to indicate interest in a broader passport that could be used by visitors.

I am not sure that they will be able to pull that off. There is a lot of opposition to vaccination passports. (I can't go further into that without violating TUG policies.) In the face of that, they might only be able to have passports good only for interisland travel.

Personally, I am all for vaccination passports period, but my wishes and what can come about are two different things. Hope Hawaii pulls off the broader approach.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have to go from Oahu to Maui on 04-12-21. I just received my second shot yesterday. I was hoping this would be in place but o wouldn’t have the second shot plus 14 days.

I still hope they do it because we were going to Maui for vacation and it would be nice not taking the test.

We’ll see what they end out doing.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This whole idea has just been hatched in the last few weeks- both here in the USA and all over Europe- specifically within the EU. But the thing is, nobody knows with any certainty YET if vaccinated people are capable of infecting OTHERS- even though they THEMSELVES are shielded from sever illness from the virus. Studies are being conducted at a feverish pitch to answer this question, but SO FAR there's no definitive answer. AND if it turns out that vaccinated people don't pass the virus to others, there is no clue as to how long that protection lasts. We will know a whole bunch more at 3 months, 6 months, a year after most people are vaccinated.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to argue, but I wonder about what you just wrote. You don't do any foreign travel because you need to show your passport? You no longer fly because you have to have a approved ID? I am not sure how a vaccine passport would be different.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
For me, it's simple. I won't go to places that requires a vaccine passport. It used to be the proud boast in the US that you would never "have to show your papers". Non servum!

Well then what about TSA Pre check or Global Entry? Both are optional ways to bypass some of the lines and requirements of those who don’t participate.

So long as it’s optional and doesn’t exclude anyone I don’t see the harm. Essentially, have the passport or take the test, your choice.

My issue with taking a test is I need the results prior to travel, and the sites I’ve visited say they can’t guarantee results back before your travel date. I’d rather show my vaccination card.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
So long as it’s optional and doesn’t exclude anyone I don’t see the harm. Essentially, have the passport or take the test, your choice.

I agree, and think what you wrote is the important distinction. While other countries can, and most likely will, establish some form of COVID vaccine passport (just as you have to get certain vaccinations even today to visit some third-world countries), domestically within the US it does get more complicated and slippery sloped, as @Ralph Sir Edward alludes to. If Hawaii made a vaccine passport a mandatory requirement to visit - they would likely have to be very careful how it was structured to avoid a successful legal/constitutional challenge. I'm not sure, but I suspect that is why pre-testing isn't the only way to visit Hawaii today; if you don't want to test, you can still come, but you must quarantine. So, if a vaccine card is simply another alternative way to visit the islands - as you say, either be vaccinated, test negative, or quarantine - then someone has three alternatives to choose from. They also have a fourth - don't go - but they have three ways to go if they want to.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This whole idea has just been hatched in the last few weeks- both here in the USA and all over Europe- specifically within the EU. But the thing is, nobody knows with any certainty YET if vaccinated people are capable of infecting OTHERS- even though they THEMSELVES are shielded from sever illness from the virus. Studies are being conducted at a feverish pitch to answer this question, but SO FAR there's no definitive answer. AND if it turns out that vaccinated people don't pass the virus to others, there is no clue as to how long that protection lasts. We will know a whole bunch more at 3 months, 6 months, a year after most people are vaccinated.

I think (hope) we'll know much sooner than 3-6 months after most people are vaccinated. Pfizer just said yesterday or today that trial participants were still showing very strong immune response six months later. Since they use similar biology, I think one could expect Moderna to be similar. Studies from Israel also have shown strong indication that vaccination also greatly reduces the ability to spread the virus. While meeting the high scientific standard of "proof" may take much longer, if the preponderance of the data from the trial participants and early vaccinations continues to show robust immunity persisting and the spread greatly mitigated amongst the vaccinated, my hope would be that the powers at be would see fit to follow that lead and recognize that the data supports relaxation of travel restrictions, even if we don't have iron-clad scientific proof, which by anyone's measure can often be a very high bar.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
For me, it's simple. I won't go to places that requires a vaccine passport. It used to be the proud boast in the US that you would never "have to show your papers". Non servum!

I guess your travel will be very limited. You have to show your papers when you travel in the country or outside the country. You need a US passport to go outside the country and return. You must show your picture ID to get on a plane. You need to show your
ID to check into a hotel or timeshare.

As par as the vaccine passport, I would much rather show my vaccine passport than to have to get tested for the coronavirus going and coming back or quarantine for 14 days.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think (hope) we'll know much sooner than 3-6 months after most people are vaccinated. Pfizer just said yesterday or today that trial participants were still showing very strong immune response six months later. Since they use similar biology, I think one could expect Moderna to be similar. Studies from Israel also have shown strong indication that vaccination also greatly reduces the ability to spread the virus. While meeting the high scientific standard of "proof" may take much longer, if the preponderance of the data from the trial participants and early vaccinations continues to show robust immunity persisting and the spread greatly mitigated amongst the vaccinated, my hope would be that the powers at be would see fit to follow that lead and recognize that the data supports relaxation of travel restrictions, even if we don't have iron-clad scientific proof, which by anyone's measure can often be a very high bar.

Which leads me to the point - why have a vaccine passport? In 3 to 6 months, we will know either way. Either the vaccine stops transmission to a large extent, or it doesn't. If it does, then there is no need for a vaccine passport, as the disease will drop to a very low level. It won't matter then if you have a vaccine or not, from a epidemiology aspect. If it doesn't stop transmission, what difference will it make, whether or not you have the vaccine? You could be a carrier, with or without a vaccine. Either way, a vaccine passport will be unneeded.

This comment may get me banned - so be it - the idea of a "vaccine passport" stinks. It's just a way to get an hysterical people to approve something that will evolve into a national ID card; and that idea has been fought against for many decades by civil libertarian portion of the populace. Once again - non servum!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which leads me to the point - why have a vaccine passport? In 3 to 6 months, we will know either way. Either the vaccine stops transmission to a large extent, or it doesn't. If it does, then there is no need for a vaccine passport, as the disease will drop to a very low level. It won't matter then if you have a vaccine or not, from a epidemiology aspect. If it doesn't stop transmission, what difference will it make, whether or not you have the vaccine? You could be a carrier, with or without a vaccine. Either way, a vaccine passport will be unneeded.

This comment may get me banned - so be it - the idea of a "vaccine passport" stinks. It's just a way to get an hysterical people to approve something that will evolve into a national ID card; and that idea has been fought against for many decades by civil libertarian portion of the populace. Once again - non servum!
Unless 85% of people have either the disease or the vaccine, we won't achieve herd immunity. This could drag on for a while. Since my husband and I both have FBI files, my husband had Top Secret clearance and we've both lived in countries where we had to show our papers, we really don't care whether or not we have to prove we've had the vaccine. I had to prove I'd either had the disease or the vaccine for 9 different diseases just to be able to work.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless 85% of people have either the disease or the vaccine, we won't achieve herd immunity. This could drag on for a while. Since my husband and I both have FBI files, my husband had Top Secret clearance and we've both lived in countries where we had to show our papers, we really don't care whether or not we have to prove we've had the vaccine. I had to prove I'd either had the disease or the vaccine for 9 different diseases just to be able to work.

Some of us don't have, nor want, your advantages. . .

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the thing is, nobody knows with any certainty YET if vaccinated people are capable of infecting OTHERS- even though they THEMSELVES are shielded from sever illness from the virus. Studies are being conducted at a feverish pitch to answer this question, but SO FAR there's no definitive answer. AND if it turns out that vaccinated people don't pass the virus to others, there is no clue as to how long that protection lasts. We will know a whole bunch more at 3 months, 6 months, a year after most people are vaccinated.
This is why the whole idea is stupid...

George

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I would like to go to Hawaii without having to try to arrange a test and have to have the results within an extremely narrow window and not have to worry about whether the results will come in on time. If others would prefer to take their chances or go through a quarantine period, so be it.

My own libertarian spirit is that businesses should be able to set their own rules. If they require masks, let them (and I will go to those businesses as opposed to those who don't require masks). If a business want to require a vaccine certificate, then they should be allowed to rather than big government saying they cannot do that. From an economic point of view, restaurants could start operating at full capacity on vaccinated clientele on only nights, cruise ships would be able to sail into Miami, ballparks and concerts could be more full (if not full), etc. Normality would be much more just around the corner.

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
Quit posting options as fact.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a two island trip coming up. Even if inter-island travel first gets cleared with a vaccine passport, that will save me $150/pp

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

You must have an ID to fly, and ID to drive, an ID to check into a hotel or timeshare, an ID to open a bank account, an ID to get into an establishiment that requires over 21. What is the difference if the ID is a national ID, or a State issued ID, or a vaccine passport. Again if you don't want to show as you say papers you will be very restricted in your travel. I guess Timeshare Owners who want to exchange into Hawaii Timeshares should encourage your thinking amoung others since if more people thought that they weren't going to go places if they had to have a vaccine passport there would be more availability in Hawaii.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must have an ID to fly, and ID to drive, an ID to check into a hotel or timeshare, an ID to open a bank account, an ID to get into an establishiment that requires over 21. What is the difference if the ID is a national ID, or a State issued ID, or a vaccine passport.
All the IDs you mention identify the holder as a specific individual. None of them require identification as to medical condition. That is the difference versus a vaccine passport.

As a real life example, individuals with a service animal are not required to present a "service animal passport" for their medical condition.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All the IDs you mention identify the holder as a specific individual. None of them require identification as to medical condition. That is the difference versus a vaccine passport.

As a real life example, individuals with a service animal are not required to present a "service animal passport" for their medical condition.

I believe you must have proof of vaccination against certain diseases to go to certain underdeveloped countries. I don't travel with an animal but don't you need to have medical proof that YOU REQURIED A SERVICE ANIMIAL and that the animal IS IN FACT A SERVICE ANIMAL to get on a plane and check into a hotel or timeshare?

The vaccine passport trying to make it easier to prove that you have been vaccinated to stem the tide of this virus and that the proof that someone provides isn't a forged piece of paper.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TO MODERATOR; It seems like this thread was merged with another thread and can't be accessed directly when trying to find it on the Hawaii Timesharing Forum which is what it was started on. I don't know anything about the merging of threads but when posts are made to this thread it appears that they disappear and I can't access them unless I go to ALERTS. Please look into this a fix it.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tamara is correct. You need a yellow fever vaccination card to travel to certain countries. (I suppose this is okay because it is not called a yellow card passport.)

My state (and I think others) has a vaccine registry which records all the vaccines that I have had (including for covid). I don't see this as a problem. In fact, it saved my bacon. Quite a few years ago, my doctor suddenly retired. His records were suppose to be passed on, but never were. If it hadn't been for the registry, I would have been lost as to when I received certain vaccines.

Anti-lockdown, anti-mask, anti-vaccine, anti records. For so many, it is at least three out of the four.