• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation Village Timeshare Links and Information

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
interesting, i see a ton of VV owned/managed resorts that dont have VV in the title, ill have to work out a query that pulls them all!

seems two in williamsburg are both vv resorts? different names? same address?

Last edited:

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
There's actually over 40 VV affiliated resorts. And most of them don't have Vacation Village in the name. You can find the full list at www.vacationvillageresorts.com

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
would really need to decide if "affiliate" resorts are categorized as within the VV family. for most major resort systems we do not do this as there are tons of affiliate resorts that are not managed or involved with the parent company at all other than sharing inventory etc.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
are all the massanutten phases/versions vacation village now?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
are all the massanutten phases/versions vacation village now?
I don't think so. Unlike many of the affiliates they have a different developer (Great Eastern) who also is the management company at Massanutten. They are considered affiliates, I believe because one of the people on the board of Great Eastern at Massanutten is also on some board of directors at Vacation Villages. They are separate companies but they have an some kind of reciprocal sales programs through RCI and weeks owners at both Massanutten and Vacation Villages get reciprocal reduced exchange fees through rci.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this will be a tough one, as all the massanutten resorts on TUG are split into the different phases/etc. are there particular ones that ARE vv for sure?

vacation village site simply lists "massanutten resort" as one of its resorts.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
this will be a tough one, as all the massanutten resorts on TUG are split into the different phases/etc. are there particular ones that ARE vv for sure?

vacation village site simply lists "massanutten resort" as one of its resorts.
Great Eastern manages all of the phases of Massanutten with the exception of Mountainside Villas which has an independent board and a different management company. The do have a rep from great eastern attend HOA meeting as a non voting member because they share amenities and allow Great Eastern to sell some of their HOA controlled inventory. Massanutten is not VV, they are separate companies but have agreements in place. The extent of those agreements I do not know but they are separate companies.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
interesting, its listed as a main resort for VV, vs an affiliate. I was simply compiling a list to create a "top rated vv resorts" query.

fyi, some of the VV resorts that got renamed (within tug) have no reviews at all.

If you have stayed in one of these recently and are willing to submit a review of your stay, ill toss in a free years membership extension!

Berkley Las Vegas
Berkley Orlando
Berkshire Mountain Lodge
Cliffs at Peace Canyon
Colonies at Williamsburg
Grandview Las Vegas
Mizner Place
Palm Beach Shores Resort
Vacation Village at Parkway
Vacation Village at Weston
Vacation Village at Williamsburg
Vacation Village in the Berkshires

Last edited:

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Things look to be even murkier. As a Vacation Village owner I pay my maintenance fees at Daily Management, Inc.'s website. They list the following resorts as their "Vacation Resort Properties".

• Canada House Beach Club
  • Cliffs at Peace Canyon
  • Grand Lake Resort
  • Grandview at Las Vegas
  • Lifetime of Vacations Resort
  • Mizner Place at Weston Town Center
  • Palm Beach Shores Resort
  • Silver Seas Beach Resort
  • Surfsider resort
  • The Colonies
  • Vacation Village at Bonaventure
  • Vacation Village at Weston
  • Vacation Village in the Berkshires
  • Villas at Fortune Place
As you can see there is duplication from your list. But, there a few extras.

In one of your earlier posts you state: "would really need to decide if "affiliate" resorts are categorized as within the VV family. " I agree with you it is confusing. While I think they are not "owned" by Vacation Village or Daily Management, Inc. from a reservation within RCI standpoint they are treated like VV resorts in that I can get the VV Premium/Premier discounted exchange fee for "internal exchanges". It actually expands the list of resorts from a handful of 10-14 resorts to 40+ with regards to RCI handling.

Is there some way that you can identify these as "affiliates" here? Not actually owned by VV but are eligible for special consideration in RCI as a VV resort.

All of the above goes into my recommendation for their own forum. To help with all this confusion. I'm glad you decided to do that.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
My suggestion would be to rename this subforum as "Vacation Village and Affiliates." There are a fair number of interlocking corporations involved in the group with some acting as developers (e.g., the Berkley Group and Great Eastern Resorts) and others as managers for the individual resorts in the group (e.g., Daily Management, Great Eastern Resorts, and Vacation Resorts International), and some resorts in the group that are individually managed by the HOAs for the resort (e.g., Mountainside Villas at Massanutten). This group is a lot looser than many of the other Timeshare Resort Systems because of the interaction of the different corporate entities and the lack of an actual internal exchange system, though there are enough commonalities between them all, and enough users on TUG with them, to make it worth having a subforum for. I do own in a few different locations that are Vacation Village ones (The Colonies, VV Williamsburg, Massanutten) and one that is an affiliate (Fort Lauderdale Beach); they each have unique characteristics that are worth sharing information on.

In my view, we would all benefit from adding sticky FAQs on the following (non-exhaustive) subjects:

1. Massanutten Trading Power Boost Program
2. Extra Vacation Certificates/5-year anniversary weeks
3. Vacation Village Plus/Premier/Premium RCI memberships
4. Vacation Village internal exchanges
5. Resort-specific information (e.g., the different Massanutten phases and types of ownerships)

Happy to throw something together for 1, 2, 4, and 5 (for Massanutten); I have awareness of 3, but didn't bite on the developer purchase necessary to get any of those, so can't give much information on those programs. I'm sure there are other topics that would be worthwhile (e.g., RCI point values for the various VV resorts, etc.). Without objection, I'll post a few threads to seek further input on FAQs that could be made into stickies as appropriate.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
created the list manually, the berkley ones dont have any reviews yet and will show up when they start getting some (hint if anyone has stayed in one!)

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I had considered myself fully into the VV ecosystem owning Woodstone in Massanutten, Grandview in Vegas, and half a foot in the Colonies in Williamsburg. Now I read this thread and wonder if I am even welcome in the group. Someone let me know, please? My vote is all of us with VV affiliated resorts to be included, we have enough in common we should be welcome here.

Over in the HGVC section we don’t seem to split hairs about including affiliates. All the South Carolina HGVC properties are affiliates.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I had considered myself fully into the VV ecosystem owning Woodstone in Massanutten, Grandview in Vegas, and half a foot in the Colonies in Williamsburg. Now I read this thread and wonder if I am even welcome in the group. Someone let me know, please? My vote is all of us with VV affiliated resorts to be included, we have enough in common we should be welcome here.

Over in the HGVC section we don’t seem to split hairs about including affiliates. All the South Carolina HGVC properties are affiliates.
I don't fully understand the differences yet either. I am also wondering if we really are part of VV when you own in Woodstone and The Colonies. I noticed how some received a vacation week to use for only the $159 price without having to use their deeded week for trade. It wasn't offered to me as a Woodstone owner. Like you I am still a "half foot in" for the Colonies at Williamsburg. So what does it really come down to? If the name of the resort doesn't include the words "Vacation Village" then it doesn't receive the same perks/benefits. Is this where the difference comes in that it gets classified as an "Affiliate"? And if that is the case, why offer affiliation without the same benefits?

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I bought into Vacation Village Resorts and Affiliates for the low maintenance fees and higher trade value/power. I hope it benefits me and doesn't make me regret it.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I am also wondering if we really are part of VV when you own in Woodstone and The Colonies. I noticed how some received a vacation week to use for only the $159 price without having to use their deeded week for trade. It wasn't offered to me as a Woodstone owner. Like you I am still a "half foot in" for the Colonies at Williamsburg. So what does it really come down to? If the name of the resort doesn't include the words "Vacation Village" then it doesn't receive the same perks/benefits. Is this where the difference comes in that it gets classified as an "Affiliate"? And if that is the case, why offer affiliation without the same benefits?

This is just a TUG BBS administration discussion about who can hang out with the cool kids in the sub forum and if what we own makes the cut for discussing them as VV resorts. I will guarantee you VV considers us part of their community and fresh meat for marketing purposes.

I get an (I think quarterly) newsletter from Vacation Village, which I think I started receiving after purchasing Woodstone. I did get something in the mail for a free booking on the VV anniversary ... but did not use it. I don't think it showed up in RCI accounts electronically. As far as RCI is concerned, we have VV affiliated accounts and are in their system as such. I am sure you will get all the perks .... not that they are substantive. To me the biggest perks are 1) the "trading power boost" or leftover extra deposits you get from Massanutten for paying your MFs early [that is Massanutten specific] and 2) the discounted $159 weeks exchange fee when trading VV TPUs for a VV booking. The certificates for "exchange fee" only last minute trades has some value to some, but I have not used one yet. I am sure you will get those.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My suggestion would be to rename this subforum as "Vacation Village and Affiliates."

That appears to be the official Vacation Village position and how they refer to the community. See logo:

1618239760010.png

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am also wondering if we really are part of VV when you own in Woodstone and The Colonies. I noticed how some received a vacation week to use for only the $159 price without having to use their deeded week for trade. It wasn't offered to me as a Woodstone owner. Like you I am still a "half foot in" for the Colonies at Williamsburg. So what does it really come down to? If the name of the resort doesn't include the words "Vacation Village" then it doesn't receive the same perks/benefits.

@TamaraQT, according to the main webpage for Vacation Village Resorts and Affiliates, both of us are riding in what they consider flagships.

1618240361949.png

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
TamaraQT and escanoe the Vacation Village franchise is one that's a bit different than other franchises like Wyndham, Marriott, etc. With those franchises there's no question about whether or not a resort is theirs. And, you can book them directly using their own internal system. With Vacation Village you get no internal system for booking. You use RCI exclusively unless you reserve your home week by calling your home resort. With Wyndham, etc. you can use RCI to book overflow weeks (weeks that weren't reserved by owners or are developer owned). The VV affiliates most likely have joined VV to give them more advertising clout. There are some rules they must abide by, I'm sure, to be an affiliate but they also have some flexibility to do their ow thing. Like the bonuses I've seen discussed here by Massanutten owners. As a VV owner at Grandview & VV@Bonaventure I don't see those Massanutten bonuses. But, I am able to book a unit at Massanutten resorts through RCI at the Vacation Village discounted exchange fee (in RCI it's called a Discounted Internal Exchange).

The only other system I can think of that's like Vacation Village is Diamond (although I'm sure there's others). Diamond owns some resorts and has may other affiliates. The big difference between the two, besides size, is that Diamond has their own internal system for both owned & affiliates while Vacation Village is quite happy to have RCI manage reservations for them.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
@rboesl , Thank you so much for those details. Now I see the difference is in the internal booking. I never took notice to how much RCI factors into the internal trading. Now it makes more sense. However, so far I have not received the perks/certificates that @escanoe describes. I am so new to this. I have exchanged one of my weeks for an upcoming vacation at the end of this month. I don't think I got a good deal as I booked into a VV property(Vacation Village @Parkway). Sure it only costs me 8TPUs and I had 18. It shows I am left with a credit of 10TPUs for it. However, I also had a resort certificate so I should have been able to use that. Maybe I should have called RCI instead of doing it myself online. I think I messed up there and now it's too late. Oh well, live and learn. I should have come to TUG first like I always do. Now I see I should've had better options when booking into another VV resort. I see you mention Diamond resorts. Didn't HGVC just acquire Diamond Resorts. I think that is a huge benefit for Diamond owners to now be a part of the HGVC family.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should have gotten $159 (discounted) exchange fee. If a certificate deposited in your account would cover it, maybe you could call RCI and get them to reverse the transaction to use the certificate. You would have to pay the full exchange fee when doing that, so RCI would get more cash from you.

However, unless you were searching based on your 18TPU deposit (and maybe even in that case), RCI should have given you the opportunity to use the certificate instead of the 18TPU deposit when you checked out. Did you book it more than 45 days out? ... that would explain the certificate not being an option.

@rboesl , Thank you so much for those details. Now I see the difference is in the internal booking. I never took notice to how much RCI factors into the internal trading. Now it makes more sense. However, so far I have not received the perks/certificates that @escanoe describes. I am so new to this. I have exchanged one of my weeks for an upcoming vacation at the end of this month. I don't think I got a good deal as I booked into a VV property(Vacation Village @Parkway). Sure it only costs me 8TPUs and I had 18. It shows I am left with a credit of 10TPUs for it. However, I also had a resort certificate so I should have been able to use that. Maybe I should have called RCI instead of doing it myself online. I think I messed up there and now it's too late. Oh well, live and learn. I should have come to TUG first like I always do. Now I see I should've had better options when booking into another VV resort. I see you mention Diamond resorts. Didn't HGVC just acquire Diamond Resorts. I think that is a huge benefit for Diamond owners to now be a part of the HGVC family.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Most of the perks that @escanoe mentions are mostly seasonal. I don't know when the Massanutten bonus happens. Vacation Village just finished a campaign of discounted reservations at certain VV resorts. The reservation needed to be made by March 31 and travel by year's end. There will probably be another one near the end of summer.

Regarding HGVC's acquisition of Diamond. Any benefits for Diamond owners remains to be seen. From what I've seen of other acquisitions members of the acquired generally don't fare too well. The key will be how they value Diamond's points compared to HGVC points.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
fyi, some of the VV resorts that got renamed (within tug) have no reviews at all.

If you have stayed in one of these recently and are willing to submit a review of your stay, ill toss in a free years membership extension!