• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

vacation destination where you would like to live

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A reasonable person might ask you this reasonable question - why do you ever leave home? Idaho, not Iowa, as heaven.....

Isn't it interesting how others view the places that some of us live every day?
Yeah. We ask ourselves the same question. We travel to see OTHER nice places. Interestingly, when people ask where we live, they almost invariably say they've never met anyone from Idaho. Well, there aren't many of us for one thing, and lots of us find plenty to do/see at home without traveling.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I enjoy the weather where we live in the Bay Area. The only issues are the cost of living, crowding and the traffic. Would visit other locations for a few weeks to escape cold months and get a change of scenery (TS). :)

If not here, then coastal San Diego, but same issues as above. Most of my family has migrated to San Diego County from the Bay Area, so with the exception of jobs and friends who haven't moved out of the area, we have little connection anymore to the Bay Area.

I would also consider southwest Reno and Vegas. But those are cost of living decisions and would need to leave during the excessive heat and smoke seasons.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I enjoy the weather where we live in the Bay Area. The only issues are the cost of living, crowding and the traffic. Would visit other locations for a few weeks to escape cold months and get a change of scenery (TS). :)

If not here, then coastal San Diego, but same issues as above. Most of my family has migrated to San Diego County from the Bay Area, so with the exception of jobs and friends who haven't moved out of the area, we have little connection anymore to the Bay Area.

I would also consider southwest Reno and Vegas. But those are cost of living decisions and would need to leave during the excessive heat and smoke seasons.
We have considered Reno for the exact same reasons (proximity to Tahoe is a big plus) but I hear that there is also a windy season. Something to check out.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We bought our current home in South Central Wisconsin 15 years ago and thought we’d retire here. But shortly after we got here we started to vacation in Hawaii.

After a couple trips, the economy started to tank and we had looked at a couple places on Kauai that were affordable. We had only been going a few years and weren’t ready financially to pull the trigger. We just hadn’t gone enough to make the commitment but we pretty much decided at that time we wouldn’t be retiring in Wisconsin.

We really like all the islands but Kauai was our favorite but I can do math and after the economy started to rebound it was clear that we wouldn’t be able to afford to live there. The Big Island and Maui has some affordable options but nothing we could buy now and enjoy too. So we started to look everywhere.

We are fairly well traveled, not near as much as many here on TUG:), but the only place we have vacationed and want to move to was Hawaii. I even did research on International Living but we had our minds made up about eight years ago. After a couple of years of looking, we ended out ruling out everything except Hawaii.

There is a long thread here on TUG in the Hawaii Forum about my adventure this summer buying my condo on Molokai so I won’t get into that. But Molokai will be where we will start our retirement years. My wife will retire a few years before me and really likes the idea of spending the winter there. I think she just wants to call from the poolside cabana while I’m I’m here watching it snow. :)

56 more days and we’ll be back in Hawaii but who’s counting. :)

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have considered Reno for the exact same reasons (proximity to Tahoe is a big plus) but I hear that there is also a windy season. Something to check out.

Thanks! Did not know that. Will have to research this.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Sedona. We have seriously considered it, but I suspect that we will stay put. Maybe someday.

The good news is: if you move to Sedona your good friend @heathpack will come visit you often!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have some favorite places to visit but they are not places I would want to live. My criteria for daily living and vacationing are different. I guess if I could pick the perfect place to live it might be somewhere oceanfront or with a great oceanview with developed infrastructure on a mainland (not an island) with low taxes and a well run government. It would have luxury homes on at least an acre at decent prices and nice neighbors in the community with shared amenities. Also, it would be tropical but low humidity, with no hurricanes or natural disasters and very green and lush but little rain, and some lush green hills so when I was not looking at the ocean, I could look at the hills. This is my fantasy place because no place meets this criteria that I know of.

bryanphunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Westin Kierland Villa
Kauai Beach Villa
I love Sedona as well, but I love my NE Minnesota Summer's and Fall. I am slowly checking out locations in Arizona for part-time Winter living. Next stop is Tucson in late January for some golf, hiking, and will check out potential neighborhoods for future purchase. As my wife and I near retirement, I want to live where my kids can non-stop flight to visit and we can do the same for important "winter season" events back in Minnesota.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
No timeshares there, but I love Charlotte N.C.

That is why we timeshare, just vacationed in western MA and visited upstate NY and loved it, do I want to winter there H3%% NO! Same thing with coast venues, that's whats makes them special. I love the north GA mountains by Talulah gorge (They must hate James Dickey!). They all have their charms for a certain time of the year. Others are special, why would you relocate to make it "ordinary"?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Kind of an amazing place, right?

..but can you afford it? Sedona's cost of living index is somewhere near 146! Ouch!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
No timeshares there, but I love Charlotte N.C.

That is why we timeshare, just vacationed in western MA and visited upstate NY and loved it, do I want to winter there H3%% NO! Same thing with coast venues, that's whats makes them special. I love the north GA mountains by Talulah gorge (They must hate James Dickey!). They all have their charms for a certain time of the year. Others are special, why would you relocate to make it "ordinary"?
My main base is in the metro Charlotte circle. Nice sweet spot, mostly great weather, this year is an exception, affordable housing and re taxes, major transportation hub and in between Florida and the northeast for easy traveling.

Try Blowing Rock, NC mountains. The area is really nice. Chetola is a very nice timeshare to stay at. Also Banner Elk, NC near Grandfather Mountain is worth going to. Blue Ridge Village timeshare is also nice.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I love Sedona as well, but I love my NE Minnesota Summer's and Fall. I am slowly checking out locations in Arizona for part-time Winter living. Next stop is Tucson in late January for some golf, hiking, and will check out potential neighborhoods for future purchase. As my wife and I near retirement, I want to live where my kids can non-stop flight to visit and we can do the same for important "winter season" events back in Minnesota.

You mean those non stops in/out of Duluth won't cut it? :D

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
You mean those non stops in/out of Duluth won't cut it? :D
Or International Falls (Frostbite Falls on Rocky and Bullwinkle)

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We moved from a Houston Suburb to the Spokane area six years ago. We had already purchased 40 acres in Clark Fork Id....not far from Lake Pend Orielle. We always loved the yellowstone area but find this part of northern Idaho and western montana just as beautiful and there are far fewer people. So we now live in Deer Park Wa and are 2hr to the cabin. Every time we go all we can say to ourselves is that we actually live here...it is really a beautiful area.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The good news is: if you move to Sedona your good friend @heathpack will come visit you often!
Sedona is gorgeous, no doubt about it. But it's another of those places that while it's nice to visit I couldn't live there. Again, not enough for us to do.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona is gorgeous, no doubt about it. But it's another of those places that while it's nice to visit I couldn't live there. Again, not enough for us to do.
We are big hikers. It's like Disneyland for us.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
..but can you afford it? Sedona's cost of living index is somewhere near 146! Ouch!
We're from San Diego. So I expect that it's just more if the same for us. Where do you find the cost of living index?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are big hikers. It's like Disneyland for us.
I guess the question is, can you hike 24/7? It's like people retiring to a golf community. Are you really going to play golf all the time? I like to hike (dh doesn't), but also enjoy eating at good restaurants, having museums, music, etc. easily available.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess the question is, can you hike 24/7? It's like people retiring to a golf community. Are you really going to play golf all the time? I like to hike (dh doesn't), but also enjoy eating at good restaurants, having museums, music, etc. easily available.
We do more outdoorsy things than indoors, so for us it would be a plus. Of course things could change as we get older. And this is all just speculation because we'll probably stay put. There are a ton of outdoor activities in our own backyard but we have a lot more company than we used to (pre-social media) and that's a bit of a drag. (Google "potato chip rock" which used to be a place where no one went, now you see people poop on the side of the trail. Gross. And people literally line up to get a photo. We haven't been in years). Thanks for your input Luanne. It definitely is good to consider all of the pros and cons before making a big move like that.