• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VA benefits

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Maybe 8 years ago or so one of my dad's friends told him he needed to check out the VA for his hearing aids. Turns out he could get free hearing aids (and I believe free mail order batteries), as well as an annual physical (which he doesn't really need because of their health plan). The subject of the VA came up again yesterday as Cliff was pinning the little microphone that came with Dad's hearing aids to his shirt so Dad could hear him across the room. We're thinking Cliff might as well stick his head in and get himself in the VA's records, even though he doesn't need anything in particular. Dad was a draftee in the mid-50s, Cliff was an officer in the early 60s. I wonder if any Tuggers know of any particular benefits he should be looking at/asking for, or is it just a waste of their resources and best to let them see other veterans?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Maybe 8 years ago or so one of my dad's friends told him he needed to check out the VA for his hearing aids. Turns out he could get free hearing aids (and I believe free mail order batteries), as well as an annual physical (which he doesn't really need because of their health plan). The subject of the VA came up again yesterday as Cliff was pinning the little microphone that came with Dad's hearing aids to his shirt so Dad could hear him across the room. We're thinking Cliff might as well stick his head in and get himself in the VA's records, even though he doesn't need anything in particular. Dad was a draftee in the mid-50s, Cliff was an officer in the early 60s. I wonder if any Tuggers know of any particular benefits he should be looking at/asking for, or is it just a waste of their resources and best to let them see other veterans?

I don't know any of the details but i do know once my dad got older and was on Medicare he searched out the VA for some things because Medicare would not cover them- at the time- drugs being one of them.

Cliff served this country and he is entitled to benefits through the VA and he should definitely get on the roster or whatever he needs to do for the future.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Faith,
Yes, Cliff is entitled to VA Services. First step is to get him registered. Call the nearest VA facility to you and ask them the procedure for him to get registered. Once registered, he will be assigned a Primary Care Provider - either a Family Practicioner or a Physician's Assistant - and an initial intake appointment will be scheduled (take a list of current meds to that appointment). At the initial appointment, ask for an Audiology consult to have his hearing checked. The audiologist will determine if Cliff is a candidate for hearing aids and they will be ordered for him free of charge. Contrary to popular misconception, the VA issues the finest hearing aids on the market.

Thank you Cliff for your service.

Best Regards,

Richard

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I second everything Richard said. Depending on Cliff’s service history, he may also be eligible for compensation for any service-connected disabilities he may have.

it costs nothing to ask, but could be worth the trouble if he’s in the right situation.

Good luck!

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Entitlement to Federal VA Services can depend on what disability or medical need they can tie to Military Service. After I got out of the Marine Corps in 1981 I applied for disability. They determined that I had a service connected Hearing Loss but the rating was less than 10%. So while I am entitled to Hearings Aids and Batteries paid for by the VA I am not currently entitled to general medical services. The State of Oregon VA Office has suggested I apply to the Federal VA for a redeterminarion of my Disability. If I can get it up to 15% or more I will be entitled to Full Medical Services at the Federal VA. If I can get it to a 20% Disability Rating I would be entitled to Untaxable Disability Pay.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Entitlement to Federal VA Services can depend on what disability or medical need they can tie to Military Service. After I got out of the Marine Corps in 1981 I applied for disability. They determined that I had a service connected Hearing Loss but the rating was less than 10%. So while I am entitled to Hearings Aids and Batteries paid for by the VA I am not currently entitled to general medical services. The State of Oregon VA Office has suggested I apply to the Federal VA for a redeterminarion of my Disability. If I can get it up to 15% or more I will be entitled to Full Medical Services at the Federal VA. If I can get it to a 20% Disability Rating I would be entitled to Untaxable Disability Pay.
Hi Geist1223,

Some of the information you posted may no longer be accurage because qualifying regulations have changed. Where is the closest VA to you that has Audiology Services? That VA will most likely have a Compensation & Pension (C&P) Office. Contact that office and request a C&P Increase Audiologic Evaluation. That evaluation will determine your rating. I would also ask if the regulations have changed and if you are currently eligible for general medical services. If so, and if you are, you would not have to wait for the C&P Increase evaluation to take place prior to receiving other services.

Thank You for your Service.

Best Regards,

Richard

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And get ready to wait and be frustrated with the whole process...DS has been trying to get his disability processed for over a year for Stage 3 testicular cancer he contracted while deployed. The hoops they have made him jump through have been ridiculous.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clifffaith, Thanks you for your military service.
Please contact your nearest VA office and make an appointment.
You will need your last DD214 form and start from their.
I do not know what you are seeking from VA.
Good Luck.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
And get ready to wait and be frustrated with the whole process...DS has been trying to get his disability processed for over a year for Stage 3 testicular cancer he contracted while deployed. The hoops they have made him jump through have been ridiculous.

To chellej, was this medical condition noticed in his medical records or on his DD214 forms?

Did he served in Vietnam or Iraq?

VA, normally will turn you down twice before awarding you a disability?

Do not give up. Contact your state veteran affairs office or a DAV office in your area.

Tell your DS, to continue to fill all his medical records from the date it was first detected/spotted and all his current medical records with VA.

Please retain a copy of all your DS records in order of the first filing of his claim to the current date.

Good luck and do not give up DS.

DS, thanks you for your military service.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the above posts. I used GI Bill many decades ago, and VA home financing back in the day. Audiologist have suggested I'd benefit from hearing aids, but after reading the necessary qualifications, I just didn't think it was worth the hassle. The nearest VA medical facility is over 100 miles away. Aboard this most recent cruise, there was a veteran's meet and greet and I learned that the VA is much more accommodating lately, so I may well make a run at the hearing aids again.

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can Fill out a 1010EZ to apply for medical benefits. Depending on your financials, they put you in Tiers and there may be a cost. If you husband has any degree of hearing loss, apply for a service connected disability. He he should submit an intent to file. That starts the clock on paying him from that date if he is awarded a service connected disability. Then he needs a 526EZ to fill out for the service connection. Hearing Loss and Tinnitus(that's the ringing in the ears). The VA will bring him in and check his hearing. If awarded hearing loss its 10% and $140 a month (20% if he get tinnitus) PLUS you get into the VA for free. If a doctor ever puts him on some expensive drug, he can get it from the VA for peanuts. In our state you get a property tax abatement if you have a service connect of 10% or more, as well. PM me if you have any questions

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I wouldn't let @chellej's DS's experience deter you. I have been in process of appending my VA disability rating off and on for years. The longest it ever took was about two months. The VA has proven itself to be very accommodating to me.

Jim, don't let the distance to a VA center deter you. You can do a lot online, and they will send you information by mail. Examinations can be scheduled through local clinics. It's worth asking. Good luck!

Dave

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the above posts. I used GI Bill many decades ago, and VA home financing back in the day. Audiologist have suggested I'd benefit from hearing aids, but after reading the necessary qualifications, I just didn't think it was worth the hassle. The nearest VA medical facility is over 100 miles away. Aboard this most recent cruise, there was a veteran's meet and greet and I learned that the VA is much more accommodating lately, so I may well make a run at the hearing aids again.

You absolutely should. They contract folks or you may be able to submit you own Hearing evaluation. Submit an intent to file right away. You have a year to file your claim for service connection, and if the VA awards you anything they go back to the date of the intent to pay you. The VA knows, depending on your MOS and level of hearing loss that most are service connected. They are 7k hearing aids, no junk!!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Very interesting. Dad has regular old age hearing loss (and was already using hearing aids), and I assume he didn't lie and say it was service related. Apparently he was getting some drugs covered, again just related to various non-service ailments, but now that he is on hospice care hospice covers all his regular drugs as well as morphine and things he needs to breathe.

Cliff has no service related ailments, just a drug or two that cost him $75 in spite of his Medicare plan.

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone is in the state of Massachusetts, there is someone in every municipality, mandated by the state Department of Veterans Services to assist with VA and Massachusetts Department of Veterans Services claims. I work in that office days a week. In my case 3 towns share a person, but every town/city has to have someone.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jim,
I encourage you to do so. Also, be aware that there are now rechargeable model hearing aids that do not require changing batteries and hold their charge for the entire day and are rechaged in a kit overnight. If the hearing aids require batteries, the VA will supply them at no charge. Batteries are reordered through the Denver Aquisition & Logistic Center (DALC) via phone, mail, or onlline. If you have a Smartphone, there are also hearing aid models that can be paired with your phone for adjustments and to receive calls (both iPhone & Android). Your Audiologist will explain the details.

Good Luck.
Richard

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Dad has regular old age hearing loss (and was already using hearing aids), and I assume he didn't lie and say it was service related. Apparently he was getting some drugs covered, again just related to various non-service ailments, but now that he is on hospice care hospice covers all his regular drugs as well as morphine and things he needs to breathe.

Cliff has no service related ailments, just a drug or two that cost him $75 in spite of his Medicare plan.

If no hearing service connection you are still entitled to VA Medical, it just goes by your income. It can be free or at a cost, Its a 1010EZ simple form. Most Vets have hearing loss due to gunfire, being in Engine rooms on ships just to name two, but it is so so common, just about every veteran who walks in my office cannot hear.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was putting off hearing aids because I enjoy peace and quiet. My wife is convinced that my hearing loss is in the female vocal range. :) Why mess up a good thing.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I was putting off hearing aids because I enjoy peace and quiet. My wife is convinced that my hearing loss is in the female vocal range. :) Why mess up a good thing.

We go round and round with this, but in the opposite direction. I finally had my hearing checked and the audiologist said "meh, tell your husband to speak up". Cliff gets pissed at me if I say "what?" -- my reply is I can smile and nod and pretend I hear you, or say what, your choice. I do know I've always had an issue if there is background noise (usually the TV at home). I was probably 22 when I noticed a table full of classmates cringe when I "yelled" something to them across a table in a bar where we were celebrating the end of a class. My voice gets real loud if there is background noise.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
When I needed hearing aids in 2015, I wanted the ones with the best technology to improve my hearing. They cost $5500 for the pair. If you need hearing aids and don't have insurance to cover them, you should first try the ZVOX hearing aids. I thought they might be better than what I had because the ZVOX sound bar I use has a mode that really enhances dialog. Well, they weren't quite as good as my expensive hearing aids, but they came close, and they only coast $300 for a pair. They have a 60 day trial period. If you don't like them, you can return them for a full refund. If I didn't already own the expensive pair, I would have kept them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ZVOX+VoiceBud+VB20&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

My FIL was in a nursing home for memory care and was running out of money. To get approval for Medicaid, we had to talk to the VA first. We found out that he had been eligible for a monthly benefit ever since he went into the nursing home. It wasn't retroactive, but it did help him from running out of money before he passed. In any case, it's good to check with the VA to see what benefits might be available.

As a side note, at the nursing home, the VA would delivery poinsettias to each veteran. He complained that he should get 2 poinsettias because he served in WWII and the Korean War. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you need to pay for hearing aids, be sure to check with Costco's Hearing Center. They have great hearing aids at even greater prices, and you can exchange/return them if you aren't happy. Second to the VA-supplied types, (which are the best you can get), the ones Costco sells are the best bargain in the industry. Or so I'm told. :)

Dave

geekette

Reaction score
Get your VA benefits. As a free American, I am grateful to our veterans and currently serving future vets. This is an earned benefit. You used your body for our country, our country owes you care of that body.

My ex became diabetic in the service and has had wonderful care from the VA. care he would not have been able to afford otherwise.

Apparently when I married him, I was eligible as well. I went as far as getting the card, but paid for and used my employer insurance. I did not feel right taking a spot that didn't belong to me - I was not married to a service man, I met him later. I made zero sacrifices.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In Oregon we have a very proactive ODVA. They actually handled the processing of my Disability Claim back in 1981 with the Federal DVA. I just need to get off my B**t and go into the ODVA office to have them initiate the request for a redetermination. The Federal DVA has an Office in Salem Oregon that includes an Audiology Clinic.