• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using Streaming device in Fairway Villas

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m going down to the Fairways in a few days. I want to be able to stream Hulu, Paramount, HBO, Prime, Apple TV + Disney etc.

We used to use our Amazon FireSticks but compared to the Apple TV device the FireSticks are like pushing a truck uphill.

Can I use an Apple TV device on their new TVs? Or do I have to stick with the Firestick? Can I use Roku?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect that Fairway Villas likely has the "smart" boxes on the back of the televisions. These boxes have built in apps that feed to the television. We have been seeing these boxes on the back of the television at just about every Marriott Vacation Club property. So on the televisions, you can directly log into apps such as Prime, Netflix and YouTube. The others you mention won't be directly available.

That said. Those boxes do have an HDMI input and as long as you can also find an available electrical outlet nearby, there would be no problem connecting it up. You can then use the input button on the remote to control the input signal that the box is receiving. I have found that you can't connect your 'sticks' devices directly to the television. The remote provided in the unit controls the box, not the TV directly. So you need to have whatever device you bring connected to one of the HDMI ports on the box. One problem we have found with those HDMI ports that go through the box is that the color is very washed out. You can see an example of what I mean in this post. All said, it works, it could just be better IMO.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do have those smart boxes. Last time I had to get an actual TV remote (not the toss away kind they give you in the room without asking) to change the input. But then it got super tricky. I had to use thtee remotes
1.TV remote to change inputs

2. FireStick to select streaming programs

3. The toss away remote to control the volume of the TV.

I got used to doing this but my friends who travel with me couldn’t figure out how to stream so they watched regular TV when I was out.

The new FireSticks have a way to hook the TV functions like volume to the device. Maybe I should buy a couple 9f them. They’re on sale now on Amazon.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem with the volume with Firestick is that it is really just a Universal remote and you have to program it to work with whatever device you have it connected to. It may also use HDMI control to control the TV volume. I wouldn't rely on that to be easy to set up. Perhaps it is, I have just never done it.

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista
I was just there.

The good news - I was able to use my Roku by following the instructions provided by Roku on using the device in a hotel or dorm. A little tricky, but it worked.

The bad news - Fairway Villas has just about the worst wifi I have had in a hotel or timeshare in several years. Very, very slow with frequent disconnects! Sometimes the streaming worked okay. Other times it disconnected so often we had to give up and watch regular tv.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s because they don’t have enough routers around the property. One year the whole building was out because someone (okay it was me..) accidentally pulled the plug on the router that was on my nightstand. The crew came in and said everyone was without WiFi bc I disconnected the router. I felt so foolish.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
It’s because they don’t have enough routers around the property. One year the whole building was out because someone (okay it was me..) accidentally pulled the plug on the router that was on my nightstand. The crew came in and said everyone was without WiFi bc I disconnected the router. I felt so foolish.
Yes, it's your fault because there's a router on your nightstand???? LOL

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, it's your fault because there's a router on your nightstand???? LOL
I often unplug things that are on the nightstand. The alarm clock is usually quick to go and the telephone too. The nightstand is a very odd location for the router.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Top of the line IT work at that place. Not

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. It took up 33% of my space. I, too, take the phone and the clock off my nightstand. In fact, I unplug the phone immediately since the only ones calling the room are incessant timeshare salespeople.