• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using points when cancelling home week last minute

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservation for my home week for next week that I may not be able to use. If I have to cancel and turn it back into points, is this an accurate summation of what I can do with the points:

Between now and the check-in date of my home week I can:

Make an internal Hyatt booking through 6 months past the check-in date
Make an specific interval booking (only for the next 6 months, or anything that's currently available?)
NOT transfer to EE

If I still have points after the check-in date of my home week, I can

Make an internal Hyatt booking within 60 days of check-in
NOT use at all with Interval

Am I off on anything, or missing any options?

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are in a bit of a pickle. It is my understanding that when you cancel inside of 2 months of check in that your returned points will go into RCUP (restricted). That means that your points cannot be used internally for Hyatt for a reservation more than 2 months out. And pretty soon they will roll into LCUP when you reach your home week - which sounds like a week.

As far as Interval, you are correct in saying you cannot move the points into EEE (which has a longer shelf life) since you have to do that 4 months before your home reservation. The real difference between RCUP and LCUP i think is that RCUP can still be used for an II reservation - and you can book anything that you can see online in II. Both RCUP and LCUP have the 2 month reservation limit. And you will have 6 months to spend LCUP points.

So that is a short window to use RCUP points for II but a possibility. And understand - if you have any EEE points they will get used for an Interval reservation before your RCUP points.

Good luck. Restricted points are harder the use but they can be.

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
i just saw your post and reread mine ... not sure i made this totally clear. Hyatt rules are not complicated but the ramifications from those rules can in some situations make your head hurt.

You can search in II and book whatever you see that you have points for. EEE, CUP and RCUP are valid buckets to pull from. LCUP is not. Not sure if LCUP or RCUP points would be pulled before CUP points, but I do know from calling and asking that EEE points are pulled first. I would like to think limited (RCUP/LCUP) points are pulled before CUP and hopefully somebody else has experience with and can answer that question.

You can search in Hyatt and book whatever you have points for. CUP will book anything, and RCUP/LCUP will only book within 2 months.

I hope that makes it totally clear.

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
@GTLINZ thanks for your posts...funny that I've owned for 3 years but never quite understood all the dates before now. When I called to cancel and ask about my options, they offered to make a one time exception and move points to EEE. So now I have two years for the majority of my points, and for the rest I will make some last minute trips (which I will have 6 months to do). All in all seems reasonable for a last minute cancellation, and I'll do some better planning for next year.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
@GTLINZ thanks for your posts...funny that I've owned for 3 years but never quite understood all the dates before now. When I called to cancel and ask about my options, they offered to make a one time exception and move points to EEE. So now I have two years for the majority of my points, and for the rest I will make some last minute trips (which I will have 6 months to do). All in all seems reasonable for a last minute cancellation, and I'll do some better planning for next year.

Wow that is great news! They have been more accomodating than normal with Covid.

Not everyone understands but your EEE points stay with Hyatt until a booking. So it feels like you put EEE points into II but you really put them in a Hyatt bucket that limits them to be used for II (and extends their life). It is really all about what bucket your points are in and the rules of that bucket.

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra, Villa Resorts (Mexico)
We have not found LCUP to be unusable - in fact we see many options for 2-night stays which we would be unable to book 12 months out. Of course the shelf life is very limited... but I am not sure i would rush to convert to II unless I was certain I could not use them in the next few months.