• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using CUP ahead of EEE pts on II exchange

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Is there a way to make an II exchange and have system draw from my CUP pts ahead of EEE pts? My CUP period expires at the end of March, and I want to use them in an II placeholder exchange. However if II exchange uses EEE first, I'd have to make 2 trades which I prefer not to do as II pickings a year+ from now are slim, and even with E-Plus it puts an earlier expiration or trade date limit than the EEE pts.

Will a HRC ( Marriott) service rep be able to choose the pools of points to use if they make the exchange? Have they previously done this for anyone ?

Thanks!

seatrout

Reaction score
Is there a way to make an II exchange and have system draw from my CUP pts ahead of EEE pts? My CUP period expires at the end of March, and I want to use them in an II placeholder exchange. However if II exchange uses EEE first, I'd have to make 2 trades which I prefer not to do as II pickings a year+ from now are slim, and even with E-Plus it puts an earlier expiration or trade date limit than the EEE pts.

Will a HRC ( Marriott) service rep be able to choose the pools of points to use if they make the exchange? Have they previously done this for anyone ?

Thanks!
NO. With traditional HRC CUP points, the deadline to deposit CUP to EEE is 4 months prior to CUP expires date. II exchange are taken from the EEE points. Just like traditional week system in Marriott, you deposit your week and then it is taken during the trade. II is basically your way of banking CUP points with HRC.

With HPP points (or DC in Marriott) there is no real EEE deposit so II exchange are taken from HPP (or Marriott DC) points directly. The oldest points will be taken first in this case.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO. With traditional HRC CUP points, the deadline to deposit CUP to EEE is 4 months prior to CUP expires date. II exchange are taken from the EEE points

Sorry, but this is incorrect. II CAN use EEE points, but CUP points can also be used. IOW you can go directly from CUP to II. But you must have the II week available that you want and make the exchange immediately.

I have cancelled a reservation 24 hrs before check in of my home week. To avoid LCUP, I called and had them give me a II week as far out as I could find, and bought eplus. I had EEE points in my account but they were not used.

You have to call. (I last did this about 2 years ago)

seatrout

Reaction score
Sorry, but this is incorrect. II CAN use EEE points, but CUP points can also be used. IOW you can go directly from CUP to II. But you must have the II week available that you want and make the exchange immediately.

I have cancelled a reservation 24 hrs before check in of my home week. To avoid LCUP, I called and had them give me a II week as far out as I could find, and bought eplus. I had EEE points in my account but they were not used.

are you saying that CUP point that gone past the EEE deadline date. ie CUP point with expiring date in February and EEE expiring in October can be use for II exchange in this February ???.
I am not sure that can be done. What is the point of EEE expiration date then ??

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d definitely like to confirm this, after missing by one day my EEE expiration deadline last week! Thanks!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks!
I recall last year March I too had to cancel home week reservation due to Covid, 2+ weeks before check in. The returned pts went into restricted CUP status, and rep said I could use them for II exchange before my home week check in date, otherwise they became LCUP pts. I had EEE pts at the time, and rep said those had to be used first.
I was hoping rules might be different for unrestricted CUP pts. And I have found and heard of some variability between what CS reps will offer or volunteer unless you ask.

The Hyatt CS were so much more accommodating before Marriott bought them in the ILG deal.

I had to cancel my home week reservation this year due to work, indirectly from COVID. But cancelled more than 60 days, so pts still in regular CUP.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
are you saying that CUP point that gone past the EEE deadline date. ie CUP point with expiring date in February and EEE expiring in October can be use for II exchange in this February ???.
I am not sure that can be done. What is the point of EEE expiration date then ??

EEE is an internal Hyatt bank of points. Its purpose is to extend the life of the points. You do not have to pay an exchange fee or choose a week with II when they are just in EEE. You must use them by exchanging into II before they expire.

CUP points can be used anytime to exchange into Interval. RCUP also can be used. You must actually make the exchange, pick a week and pay the fees. Once they slide into LCUP, they may not be used for Interval.

I’d definitely like to confirm this, after missing by one day my EEE expiration deadline last week! Thanks!

The only issue to confirm is whether you can use the CUP points for interval if you have EEE points that can be used. As I said, I have been able to do that by calling, but that was 2 years ago. Things may have changed there.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If you're a new Hyatt owner, and only got access to your account shortly before the EEE deadline, CS might be able to deposit the points to EEE for you. A few years ago, I called about month after my EEE deadline, and the rep was nice enough to do it for me, since she could tell that I was new at it, and could probably see when the unit was transferred in our names.

I'd call and ask regardless.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only issue to confirm is whether you can use the CUP points for interval if you have EEE points that can be used. As I said, I have been able to do that by calling, but that was 2 years ago. Things may have changed there.

So I called Hyatt CS today to ask, and their answer was no, the system will take the points from EEE first and then CUP. It seemed like a non-starter for the rep to book an II week using only CUP pts.

However she was able to do a better solution for me , which was to put my specified number of CUP points into EEE. This is over 2 months past my EEE deadline! She had to get manager approval first, and there was a wait as the manager on duty had a number of requests in queue to review.

So this works out much better for me as my EEE pts are good for 2 years, so I won't have to deal & worry with them until next year.

What I found kinda interesting is the rep remarked that I had no "exceptions" ever in my account, so she felt fairly certain the manager would approve. Sounds like they record all those exceptions and gauge whether to grant the current request based on your history . So it pays not to make waves too often

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I called Hyatt CS today to ask, and their answer was no, the system will take the points from EEE first and then CUP.

Correct. It is the order they are taken that matters.