• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Used soap at hotels goes...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Many hotel brands are cutting back and adding dispensers and pump soap. I wonder if this is impacting the abound of donations they get?

Reaction score
Nope, because many hotels still use bars. I believe bars are cheaper than liquid, since they are made the same way for the last 150-ish years. Every IHG, Hampton Inn (aka Hilton), and Wyndham-franchise hotel I've been to has bar soaps for the sinks. Some had liquid soap or shampoo in dispensers in the shower.

TS

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Nope, because many hotels still use bars. I believe bars are cheaper than liquid, since they are made the same way for the last 150-ish years. Every IHG, Hampton Inn (aka Hilton), and Wyndham-franchise hotel I've been to has bar soaps for the sinks. Some had liquid soap or shampoo in dispensers in the shower.

TS
Many may still use bars, but they are still cutting back. So it is a Yup. Many many have removed bars from the showers now in favor of the pumps. That still means fewer bars.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw this process too on the news/a special a while back. Interesting.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not very good for the local soap making companies in those countries. Same with bales of clothes being sent to other countries.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Not very good for the local soap making companies in those countries. Same with bales of clothes being sent to other countries.
The people receiving these are most likely not the people who can afford & buy locally made soaps. Please read more about who the recipients are of this recycled soap product.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall posting someting from Marriott Cypress Harbor about this. They had showed a huge bin of 1/2 used soap they were donating.

As a society, we do throw away too much. I'm happy to see items turned into something useful.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The people receiving these are most likely not the people who can afford & buy locally made soaps. Please read more about who the recipients are of this recycled soap product.
It depends. There has been a lot of scrutiny lately on donations to impoverished nations and if those donations just keep them impoverished. Soap isn't necessarily expensive in those countries. Soap can be a byproduct of local agriculture. I don't know if this soap is good or bad for the local economy, but in many cases donations just feed to the "aid industry" and don't necessarily help those truly in need.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
It depends. There has been a lot of scrutiny lately on donations to impoverished nations and if those donations just keep them impoverished. Soap isn't necessarily expensive in those countries. Soap can be a byproduct of local agriculture. I don't know if this soap is good or bad for the local economy, but in many cases donations just feed to the "aid industry" and don't necessarily help those truly in need.
That makes some sense to me too. It's like the local humane societies. I often struggle that part of their funding mechanism is bringing in strays from southern shelters to adopt out here in Wisconsin. We have enough of our own over-crowded shelters and rescue groups. Do we really need more so the humane society can make money on the adoption fees?