• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

UPGRADING TO NEW LEVEL

almost retired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you are already a Gold or Platinum with unlimited housekeeping credits and then you decide to upgrade from Gold to Platinum or Founders do you loose the unlimited housekeeping you are already receiving since it is no longer available in new purchases?

lisa1001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I purchase resale presidential reserve and am already Platinum will I get founders level given that presidential reserve points maintain their status?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Does anyone know if I purchase resale presidential reserve and am already Platinum will I get founders level given that presidential reserve points maintain their status?

Resale PR won't work to get you to Founders.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Per the updated VIP benefits chart and confirmed in the VIP FAQs on the website, as long as an owner is a Legacy (f/k/a grandfathered) Gold or Platinum as of either of the two effective dates (either Nov 1, 2012 or Nov 10, 2020), the unlimited HK credits apply so long as you‘ve maintained Legacy Gold developer points.

So for a Legacy VIP Platinum owner as of Nov 1, 2012, they could reduce their ownership down to as low as the 500k Legacy Gold points and still retain unlimited HK credits.

The attached file Your VIP Questions Answered was a synopsis of the questions Richelle asked her Wyndham contact.
—————————-
In addition to the Club Wyndham housekeeping credits you are awarded based on the points you own, you’ll receive additional housekeeping credits each Use Year.

Eligible owners who were part of the VIP program prior to Nov. 11, 2020, will retain the unlimited housekeeping credit benefit, subject to the VIP Program Rules. Owners with Bronze benefits, regardless of purchase date, will receive the Additional Housekeeping Credit benefit, as provided above.
img

Bronze
img

Silver
img

Gold
img

Platinum
img

Founders

Attachments

• vip-benefits-categories-chart.pdf
    466.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Your VIP Questions Answered.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 17

troy12n

Reaction score
Per the updated VIP benefits chart and confirmed in the VIP FAQs on the website, as long as an owner is a Legacy (f/k/a grandfathered) Gold or Platinum as of either of the two effective dates (either Nov 1, 2012 or Nov 10, 2020), the unlimited HK credits apply so long as you‘ve maintained Legacy Gold developer points.

What about legacy Silver? They have unlimited HK too, and I was kind of under the impression that if they upgraded to Gold or Platinum, their unlimited HK would follow. Otherwise, there is absolutely no way anyone would upgrade...

troy12n

Reaction score
Also, I always thought that there were no PR resale contracts, that Wyndham has the first right of purchase.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
What about legacy Silver? They have unlimited HK too, and I was kind of under the impression that if they upgraded to Gold or Platinum, their unlimited HK would follow. Otherwise, there is absolutely no way anyone would upgrade...

Yes. if Legacy Silver gets unlimited HK, the same applies to reducing one’s qualifying VIP ownership.

Also, I always thought that there were no PR resale contracts, that Wyndham has the first right of purchase.

That’s been referenced before, but I’m curious as to whether that’s actually language in the developer PR purchase contract. There have been a couple of PR contracts listed for sale since the pandemic started last March.

I know some sellers put a ROFR clause on their Wyndham points auctions as a CYA, but in practice I don’t think Wyndham is enforcing ROFR if in fact it does exist.

Quite frankly there are so many points available on EBay that WD couldn’t possibly absorb the MF hit if they bought all these contracts back through ROFR or third party intermediary buyers.

For as many CWA contracts that I see for basically free to costing less than $1k, one could spend less on one of those resale CWAs to try out ownership vs buying a Discovery package. Then they could avoid the sales meeting requirement that’s part of Discovery and give back their CWA via certified exit if it doesn’t work.

Or try out Wyndham via renting reservations from a VIP, as dgalati has done for quite awhile.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
@Richelle and I received specific guidance from Wyndham on this topic, indicating that Wyndham learned their lesson from past VIP program upgrades and that the new system now preserves any/all existing VIP benefits during the upgrade process. This is the case even if you add only a portion of the points necessary to "ladder step" upgrade over time. So for example, I own 718k annual points, and I would need 1.1MM points to upgrade to VIPP permanent. I could ladder step upgrade the 394k points in two different purchases, 197k first purchase, and 197k second purchase, and ALL of my VIP benefits, including unlimited HKs, will be preserved via grandfathering. If for whatever reason after a net new points purchase, you notice that your grandfathered status is no longer showing in your online profile - make sure to contact Owner Care and have this corrected.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

They do, but they don't always exercise ROFR.

troy12n

Reaction score
@Richelle and I received specific guidance from Wyndham on this topic, indicating that Wyndham learned their lesson from past VIP program upgrades and that the new system now preserves any/all existing VIP benefits during the upgrade process. This is the case even if you add only a portion of the points necessary to "ladder step" upgrade over time. So for example, I own 718k annual points, and I would need 1.1MM points to upgrade to VIPP permanent. I could ladder step upgrade the 394k points in two different purchases, 197k first purchase, and 197k second purchase, and ALL of my VIP benefits, including unlimited HKs, will be preserved via grandfathering. If for whatever reason after a net new points purchase, you notice that your grandfathered status is no longer showing in your online profile - make sure to contact Owner Care and have this corrected.

Thank you for clarifying this. I will be leveraging PIC at some point in the future and realize there will be a small purchase required, but I wouldn't even consider this if we were to potentially lose unlimited HK which we currently have.

JD1121

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve - Founders (National Harbor)
DIVI Aruba
Does anyone know if you are already a Gold or Platinum with unlimited housekeeping credits and then you decide to upgrade from Gold to Platinum or Founders do you loose the unlimited housekeeping you are already receiving since it is no longer available in new purchases?
I just joined this forum, so maybe a little late here but yes you are grandfathered in.

JD1121

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DIVI Aruba
Hello all - I am new here and to Wyndham. I was looking on line to see actual PR owners opinions if it is worth the huge bump to get there. I am currently Platinum (bonus points) until 2022 but drop to Gold after that. I am looking at PR but honestly besides the 60% I might get off if I book in the 2 month window I do not see the many perks (well without paying extra for them every time). I mean chocolate, wine and robes are great, but are there any other things that you guys know of, better easier check in or perks while we are away Thanks for any guidance. also what is ROFR please. sorry maybe easy but cant think of what is. Thanks again! JoeD

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Right of First Refusal

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all - I am new here and to Wyndham. I was looking on line to see actual PR owners opinions if it is worth the huge bump to get there. I am currently Platinum (bonus points) until 2022 but drop to Gold after that. I am looking at PR but honestly besides the 60% I might get off if I book in the 2 month window I do not see the many perks (well without paying extra for them every time). I mean chocolate, wine and robes are great, but are there any other things that you guys know of, better easier check in or perks while we are away Thanks for any guidance. also what is ROFR please. sorry maybe easy but cant think of what is. Thanks again! JoeD

Unless you are a snowbird and do most of your travels in the winter months, availability at demand locations, beach resorts and event locations will be difficult to not available if you book within 60 days looking to maximize your membership with a points discount. And then forget about an upgrade. You may get lucky and find a cancellation, but you need to be on top of it and search at least several times a day.

VacayKat

Reaction score
I think you’d have to decide for yourself. We decided to do PR for a variety of personal reasons. However if I was looking at the VIP tiers, I’d want platinum to maximize, founders would be nice but not necessary. We have a bunch of Hawaii contracts because we like going there when its high demand, so we get first dibs on the rooms. But if you’re flexible and can go whenever, not sure having Hawaii MF is worth it For far out reservations. If you’re still pretty new it might be worth waiting a few years to see if your gold VIP works for you or if you’re wanting more. As an aside to get to PR you turn in your wyndham non PR points and add the points you need to get to 1 mil points at presidential reserve contract costs. You also buy at specific PR resort so depending on where you want to vacation, you’d really want to consider which resort you even want PR at. I’d suggest you take your time and not jump before you decide what it is you want from the timeshare and if sinking more money into higher VIP or PR is even the way you would get it.

JD1121

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DIVI Aruba
Unless you are a snowbird and do most of your travels in the winter months, availability at demand locations, beach resorts and event locations will be difficult to not available if you book within 60 days looking to maximize your membership with a points discount. And then forget about an upgrade. You may get lucky and find a cancellation, but you need to be on top of it and search at least several times a day.
Thanks so much. So that is the same it is as a platinum member really. Thanks again

JD1121

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DIVI Aruba
I think you’d have to decide for yourself. We decided to do PR for a variety of personal reasons. However if I was looking at the VIP tiers, I’d want platinum to maximize, founders would be nice but not necessary. We have a bunch of Hawaii contracts because we like going there when its high demand, so we get first dibs on the rooms. But if you’re flexible and can go whenever, not sure having Hawaii MF is worth it For far out reservations. If you’re still pretty new it might be worth waiting a few years to see if your gold VIP works for you or if you’re wanting more. As an aside to get to PR you turn in your wyndham non PR points and add the points you need to get to 1 mil points at presidential reserve contract costs. You also buy at specific PR resort so depending on where you want to vacation, you’d really want to consider which resort you even want PR at. I’d suggest you take your time and not jump before you decide what it is you want from the timeshare and if sinking more money into higher VIP or PR is even the way you would get it.
I really appreciate you taking the time and all your advice here. It was very helpful and informative. I did "jump" and decided to go to PR, really need flexibility and appreciate the additional discount if I'm ever able to use it that would be great. I do have a little buyers remorse here already but I feel in the future I would have went to that level anyway and figured why keep buying a little at a time. Plus of course it was available and supposedly very hard to get so not sure if that is the case or sales but hopefully, once I begin to use it, I see the benefits and feel they are worth it. As you mentioned PR costs for sure. I almost feel like we can travel wherever we would have wanted without this purchase and spending the same but after a few 6 to10k vacations I think this will help and pay for itself. Might take 50 years but we'll see. haha. Can I ask what island you would recommend or maybe a favorite in Hawaii? I have 2 daughters, 7 and 9 and have always wanted to visit but never know where might be best to book. They all look beautiful. Thanks again and have a great day. Joe
P.S. - I will not look on high demand times :) and Hawaii not an owned resort. Wanted to go soon while my kids are still remote learning. They can attend school anywhere so we can try make a little positive out of that and travel a little.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I really appreciate you taking the time and all your advice here. It was very helpful and informative. I did "jump" and decided to go to PR, really need flexibility and appreciate the additional discount if I'm ever able to use it that would be great. I do have a little buyers remorse here already but I feel in the future I would have went to that level anyway and figured why keep buying a little at a time. Plus of course it was available and supposedly very hard to get so not sure if that is the case or sales but hopefully, once I begin to use it, I see the benefits and feel they are worth it. As you mentioned PR costs for sure. I almost feel like we can travel wherever we would have wanted without this purchase and spending the same but after a few 6 to10k vacations I think this will help and pay for itself. Might take 50 years but we'll see. haha. Can I ask what island you would recommend or maybe a favorite in Hawaii? I have 2 daughters, 7 and 9 and have always wanted to visit but never know where might be best to book. They all look beautiful. Thanks again and have a great day. Joe

Congratulations on moving up to PR. Which resort is your PR at? You were smart to go for the the bigger jump rather than making small steps. That's the one thing I wish we had done differently. We would have spent less.

JD1121

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DIVI Aruba
Congratulations on moving up to PR. Which resort is your PR at? You were smart to go for the the bigger jump rather than making small steps. That's the one thing I wish we had done differently. We would have spent less.
Thanks so much! Yes well I made 4 jumps already and each one costs so figured leap this time. PR is at National Harbor. I have never even been but I will visit now. So I hope you like PR? Looks like you have been owner for a little. I just started last year and of course not much travel really but I know I will use it. I just need to learn the ropes.

VacayKat

Reaction score
P.S. - I will not look on high demand times :) and Hawaii not an owned resort. Wanted to go soon while my kids are still remote learning. They can attend school anywhere so we can try make a little positive out of that and travel a little.
Congrats! I think if it‘s what you want in the long run it’s the way to go. Our kids are older now but I LOVED timeshare resorts when they were younger, especially in Hawaii! We often did 2-3 weeks with them packing just a carryon as we knew we could do laundry- plus kitchens made meals super easy as we didn't love eating out with the, all the time.
Our favourite island is the big island, but Kauai is close behind. Maui and Oahu have their perks as well. Really depends on your family’s joy and your vacation style. Big island has a little bit of everything and is fairly relaxed. Kauai is SUPER relaxed, lush and full of unique landscapes- so many waterfalls, and the Napali coast! Maui to me feels like resortland, but if you’re looking for hotel on the beach thats the way to go, and lots of things if you venture out. Oahu has a bit of everything as well, but most resorts are in Waikiki which is like the Hawaiian LA. Our youngest is now studying at UH Manoa on Oahu- we apparently gave her the Hawaii bug- her first trip was at age 9 to the big island. Best part of timeshare is you can usually find a place on any island. I’d stay in Kona on the big island first and then in Kauai near Poipu- Kapaa is second then Princeville (unless you are a golfer in which case this is the place). We will be in Kauai at Christmas with extended family and are going to stay at all three locations to get the best of all worlds (and my husband and I will do a week in Maui before Kauai because why not?!).
Hope you have a great experience - and feel free to hit me up for Hawaii info whenever, I’m aiming to live there in ~10 years full time, its my happy place!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Thanks so much! Yes well I made 4 jumps already and each one costs so figured leap this time. PR is at National Harbor. I have never even been but I will visit now. So I hope you like PR? Looks like you have been owner for a little. I just started last year and of course not much travel really but I know I will use it. I just need to learn the ropes.

PR was our 7th jump so you're way ahead of us. Also way ahead of us in buying in younger, a lot younger. I'm guessing from the ages of your kids that you're probably in your 30's. I will have my 70th birthday on what will be our 4th annual summer family vacation at Glacier Canyon.

The traditional week based timeshares had never appealed to us at all. It took attending two then Fairfield before it became Wyndham sales presentations to wrap my head around the newer points based system and decide we should buy. During that second presentation when I was asking questions that indicated to DH that I might be actually considering buying he asked in a horrified tone of voice if I was seriously thinking of buying when the salesperson left us alone for a few minutes. We still laugh about that. If anyone had ever told us 20 years ago when we first bought or even on subsequent buys that we'd ever spend what we've spent or buy as many points as we have, we would have asked if they were drunk, high or just plain crazy.

I've related before that we live in Florida and that I fly to Cleveland, Ohio several times a year to bring one or both granddaughters down to stay with us for anywhere from 10 days to three weeks. Thank you Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant for really cheap flights so we can do this. We usually stay at one of the resorts in Orlando and also at a beach resort while they're here. In Orlando they've stayed at Bonnet Creek, Reunion, Star Island, Cypress Palms, Vacation Village at Parkway, the Houses at Summer Bay, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Animal Kingdom Villas in a savanna view unit. For the beach stays, several resorts on Sanibel Island, Clearwater and Ocean Walk on Daytona Beach. People our son and DIL know think we're rich because even just one week of what our granddaughters do 4-5 times a year is as much as those people's families do for their big vacation once a year. I'd estimate that the cost of three of our trips is equal to if not less than what their one trip costs them.

When I brought the girls down after Christmas we stayed at our house but had a staycation for two nights at Palm-Aire for New Year's Eve. The resort is 20 minutes from our house. We had a two bedroom plus in the Areca Palms building and I asked for a city view on a higher floor so we'd have a great view of the fireworks in the area. People in this part of Florida love their fireworks and you can pretty much see them going off somewhere throughout the evening on New Year's Eve and the 4th of July. The girls enjoyed going in and out throughout the evening to watch the fireworks. The two bedroom plus units have a huge balcony and a den. The girls were so were thrilled with having their own TV room next to their bedroom.

Our son, DIL and granddaughters are coming to Orlando for a Spring Break vacation in two weeks and we're staying at Reunion again. Our DIL has stayed at more resorts than our son because she's a teacher and comes for vacations with the girls as she has more time off than our son. He loves fake complaining that his daughters and even his wife have stayed at more resorts than he has and he's been an owner for 14 years since he turned 21. This will be our son and DIL's first time staying at Reunion so our son was asking about the resort. He was in the car with the 4 year old and on speaker phone. I laughed and told him that he could just ask his daughters about the resort as they've stayed there several times. The younger one just this past October. She remembers the resorts by something she really liked about them so I told her to tell him about the one with the waterpark. She had plenty to tell him most of which made no sense to him as he hadn't stayed there. I sent him a link to view the units and the waterpark.

The girls love looking at the pictures on my phone of them at the different resorts. The 4 year old really likes Ocean Walk and hearing her talk about the older pictures of her at Ocean Walk when she "was little" just cracks me up every time. Because you know she's so old now at 4. She was born exactly two months before her sister's 5th birthday and when I first showed her pictures of her sister when her sister was the same age she asked where she was. She decided the answer was that she was at home with mommy because she was a baby. Yup, lets go with that. Lol

Over the years people my husband worked with would ask how we could afford to vacation like we did. I was a stay at home mom until our son was 16, the year after we bought, and they knew approximately what my husband made. He always told them it was because we had the timeshare. He would leave an opening for them to ask questions about owning a timeshare but none ever did. Most were sure timeshares were nothing but a scam. Within a few years of owning we were taking four vacations a year of a week plus a couple of nights. I planned our vacations over a paid holiday to maximize DH's vacation time. DH got a lot of vacation time at that point and I was able to take time off without pay beyond my two weeks of vacation. Our work schedules were very flexible and that extra day or two meant I was able to book the cheapest flights. We had a routine. Sea Gardens in Pompano Beach, FL in January or February. Grand Desert in Las Vegas in the Spring. One of the Myrtle Beach resorts in late May. We drove to Myrtle Beach and DH was able to schedule himself a work appointment half way there on the way down and back so travel days didn't use vacation days. The last one was a vacation in September or October back to Myrtle Beach or a couple of times back to Vegas.

About a month before DH turned 61 he lost his job when the owners of his company were making the company lean and mean in order to sell it. Because what he did was very specialized he had no problem finding another job. He found one in Florida and we didn't have to wait until he retired to move somewhere warmer than northwestern Pennsylvania. However that meant he was starting over building vacation time. During my first year here in Florida I discovered there are a lot of resorts in Florida that I could book through RCI. My husband covered all of Florida from Sarasota over to Fort Pierce clear down to Key West. If he had a couple of days work in a particular area and I found us a stay, off we went. He would have a day that he did reports and would sit on the balcony or in the pool area at the resort doing them. He said it didn't feel like he was working. One year we had stays over every holiday. Sometimes he would take a day of vacation to give himself an even longer holiday weekend. We only needed him to work until I turned 65 for the health insurance because I didn't go back to work after the move to Florida but he kept working another 18 months until he was 68.5 through choice. He says that having those timeshare stays made him in no rush to retire.

I wish you and your family many happy memories as you make your own stories over the years. Your kids will grow up with wonderful memories and also very spoiled when it comes to vacations. It's a wonderful feeling knowing you make that happen for them.

If you ever need any help figuring things out you're welcome to private message me and I'll give you my phone number.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Jan, that’s the best sales pitch I’ve ever heard! All truth from personal experience, no lies, no pressure, no made up “problem with your account”, just facts about how a points based system can work and be worth the cost. I completely agree with you. There is no way we could have taken the vacations and stayed in the quality resorts we’ve stayed in over the past few years without being timeshare owners. It has definitely been worth what we paid.