• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrading to first class using ff miles?

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Ok, so I am having a problem remembering how I upgraded to first class about a year ago using a frequent flyer ticket. I just called Continental and was told that you can only upgrade when a ticket has been purchased. Is this correct? I seem to recall upgrading twice before and I thought that I had used ff miles to obtain the ticket initially. What is the correct information?

Thanks for your help. :confused:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not the same with UA.

I upgrade using miles occasionally, perhaps twice each year. First I determine my ideal itinerary online. Then I call UA and tell the rep of my preferred itinerary, stating that I only want to buy it - or some alternative itinerary - if upgrades are available using miles. Sometimes I'm willing to accept a waitilist for the upgrade on short segments of the trip.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
hajjah said:
Ok, so I am having a problem remembering how I upgraded to first class about a year ago using a frequent flyer ticket. I just called Continental and was told that you can only upgrade when a ticket has been purchased. Is this correct? I seem to recall upgrading twice before and I thought that I had used ff miles to obtain the ticket initially. What is the correct information?

Thanks for your help. :confused:

I'm a bit confused about your post.

Is this a paid ticket or a ticket purchased with ff miles?

You can upgrade a paid ticket using miles for the upgrade. Call the airline. (Depending on the airline and where your traveling, there may be fees involved based on the fare class of the paid tickets. Typically no fee for domestic tickets unless you're hit with AA's expedite fees, but some airlines only allow upgrades on certain fare classes for international tickets, and some charge a fee for upgrades with miles if you're in a discounted fare class.)

You can't upgrade a free ticket purchased with the airlines own ff miles. If you want to travel in first class, you need to purchase a first class award. That said, if the first class award is available on the flights you want, and you have enough miles in your account, you may be able to exchange your current coach ff awards for first class ff awards, but there may be a per-ticket fee involved in the exchange.

I hope that's all clear. I tried to describe two different cases above, because it wasn't clear to me if your tickets are paid tix or free ff award tix.

-David

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ah! I misunderstood the post.

I agree. You can use FF miles to upgrade a purchased ticket (whether at the time of purchase or after purchase). But you cannot use FF miles to upgrade a free ticket, typically one obtained with FF miles.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks. So, I was incorrect. I must have purchased a ticket in the past in order to upgrade to first class. I just could not remember. I guess it's this age thing??? I do appreciate your clarifications.