• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

upgrading storage on ipad/iphone

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I needed to upgrade storage on ipad and iphone in order to update them as my storage was full. I did and paid and my credit card was charged, but they did not upgrade my storage. I powered off to see if that helped and it did not. I tried getting to a chat online and had no luck, I have been on hold on phone a long time and I don't see waiting it out. Any suggestions on how I get the upgraded storage I paid for?

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about your cloud storage at Apple? If so, it can take several hours for them to provision the extra storage you purchased. It will happen, but most often not immediately

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
...and if you are talking about the available storage *on the device itself* that can't be increased; all you can do is remove some things to make more room. I recently had to do this on my apple watch to upgrade to the latest OS.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
on phone now trying to update my iphone

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'd be moving old pictures from my phone to my PC. Also check what your resolution setting is on your camera. Most people just look at their pics on the phone or on a PC, and only print out a very small number of photos, and usually not larger that 5X7. If your photo files are in the 1 or 2 meg size, turn your resolution way down to make your files smaller.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you need more storage on your iPhone, try the following..

delete all the music you stored on your phone
delete apps that you are not using

This next step or last step you need to be very careful with or you will lose all the pics on your phone
turn iCloud photo on - go to settings, iCloud, photos. BUT IT WILL DELETE ALL PHOTOs on your phone. Make sure you have a backup to those photos. See attached.
D89064D6-ED6D-4EEC-BC7D-8A0A2138AE6E.png

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Had this problem the other day on my iPhone when it told me it hadn’t been backed up because I didn’t have enough storage available. I just backed everything up to my desktop and then uploaded all my photos to Google Photos and turned off Photos in Icloud. There is no way to just add storage to an iPhone/iPad and quite honestly we don’t need it with Google and Amazon.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing about iCloud storage is paying $1 gets 50 GBs and $2 gets 100 GBs. But if have family sharing with DW and include her, your total is $3 for 200 GBs. I was already paying $3 per month and needed more storage (iCloud Drive is my back up) and now have 200 GBs per month. I use 120 GBs and she uses 10 GBs. There are other advantages too that you might like or not like. But it I easier to find pics, music or documents with iCloud. I know I could save $1 a month with Amazon, but the convenience of iCloud works better for me.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you need more storage on your iPhone, try the following..

delete all the music you stored on your phone
delete apps that you are not using

This next step or last step you need to be very careful with or you will lose all the pics on your phone
turn iCloud photo on - go to settings, iCloud, photos. BUT IT WILL DELETE ALL PHOTOs on your phone. Make sure you have a backup to those photos. See attached.
View attachment 24354
That is next thing I need to do, and don’t want to lose them

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem I have too much on my iPad. Facebook and yahoo mail take up a lot of spaces but I like to check them.
I don’t know how to move my photos to my computer which is a different operating system. I have some apps I don’t want to lose

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I am a little confused by your post. I think your saying you dont have enough storage space on your iPhone and or iPad. First you need to know what is taking up all your space. It sounds like your guessing. Go to settings, general, iPhone storage....this will tell you where your storage is being used. Generally its your photos or music that takes up the most space. Your mail is usually not the issue. If thats the case you need to make sure you have those items on your computer. If you have an older iPad generally they only had 32g of storage which is barely enough for anything anymore. How old is your iPad and how much storage does it have?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m ipad I have 16gb. Biggest user is Facebook with over 1 GN, then comes google, then yahoo mail, photos take 230mb.
i have Facebook on my computer but I like to check it on my iPad.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem I have too much on my iPad. Facebook and yahoo mail take up a lot of spaces but I like to check them.
I don’t know how to move my photos to my computer which is a different operating system. I have some apps I don’t want to lose
Facebook and Yahoo mail should take up very little room on your physical device. All the photos you load up to Facebook are saved on their servers. As long as Yahoo mail is setup as IMAP, the mail is never really downloaded and instead is stored on their servers.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Facebook and Yahoo mail should take up very little room on your physical device. All the photos you load up to Facebook are saved on their servers. As long as Yahoo mail is setup as IMAP, the mail is never really downloaded and instead is stored on their servers.
I think my son set up the apps for Facebook and yahoo mail on my iPad. I just deleted Facebook app and opened up a lot of space. But why does goggle take so much space? Google is 890mb

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I’m ipad I have 16gb. Biggest user is Facebook with over 1 GN, then comes google, then yahoo mail, photos take 230mb.
i have Facebook on my computer but I like to check it on my iPad.

you can check Facebook in Safari on your iPad. No need for the app if it’s hogging space and as a bonus, FB won’t be tracking your location.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
you can check Facebook in Safari on your iPad. No need for the app if it’s hogging space and as a bonus, FB won’t be tracking your location.
Thanks I did that, and next will get rid of A couple other things

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
At 16g its time for a new iPad if possible...or your going to have to be closely watching your storage all the time. No room for more than one movies or some songs. As I had mentioned I recently upgraded mine and I think it may have been 16g also (not 32 as I mentioned above). It made a big difference. I purchase one with 128G because when i traveled I wanted to take a few movies with me. More storage now than I will ever need. But also the performance and speed was a big difference. That alone is worth the upgrade. Something to consider.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
At 16g is time for a new iPad if possible...or your going to have to be closely watching your storage all the time. No room for more than one movies or some songs. As I had mentioned I recently upgraded mine and I think it may have been 16g also (not 32 as I mentioned above). It made a big difference. I purchase one with 128G because when i traveled I wanted to take a few movies with me. More storage now than I will ever need. But also the performance and speed was a big difference. That alone is worth the upgrade. Something to consider.
Yes I have considered that,

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The newer iPads have faster processing speed and better screens. Also, the price is now cheaper than ever. You will not regret spending some money on that.

Regarding how to transfer pics from phone or iPad. YOU CAN PLUG YOUR PHONE into the computer and go to my computer and drag and drop phots to your PC. Also, backup all photos on iCloud.com. Another way is to download the iTunes Ap on your PC and backup your phone. You will probably need a teenage kid or techie to help you. Maybe look at YouTube videos on how to transfer pics. If it wasn’t for my son, I would be lost.