• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrades

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I should know (and I think I do) but I'd like to confirm or not.

Let's use Bonnet Creek as an example. I book a 2BR Presidential unit and would like to upgrade to a 3BR Presidential unit, if one becomes available. I don't want to upgrade to a 3BR Deluxe unit.

What do I request when I make the reservation?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It would not upgrade to a 3 BR presidential if a 3 BR deluxe was available AFAIK.

RENTER

Reaction score
I should know (and I think I do) but I'd like to confirm or not.

Let's use Bonnet Creek as an example. I book a 2BR Presidential unit and would like to upgrade to a 3BR Presidential unit, if one becomes available. I don't want to upgrade to a 3BR Deluxe unit.

What do I request when I make the reservation?
When I get the automatic upgrades, it tells me what rooms I can select. but I think you are taking a risk when you do not get the automatic upgrade and check off upgrade me to a larger room. Then they may give you the deluxe 3 bedroom. I could be wrong but I have never seen room choices when it is not an automatic upgrade

Zeke_62

TUG Member
Reaction score
1718240078033.png

As this started as a 2br presidential reserve, I'm assuming that an upgrade to a "presidential reserve suite" would be larger as well.

RENTER

Reaction score
View attachment 94452

As this started as a 2br presidential reserve, I'm assuming that an upgrade to a "presidential reserve suite" would be larger as well.
View attachment 94452

thank you for sharing. But I do not see this on my screen when booking. i do not book Presidential Units so could that be the answer? Or does this just apply at certain resorts like Bonnet Creek which I also do not book?

RENTER

Reaction score
View attachment 94452

I was curious to see if I could recreate this for the same dates at Bonnet Creek. Unf. It was giving me automatic upgrades except on a 2 bedroom deluxe. It only gave me a choice of upgrade to a larger room.

There was a one bedroom Presidential available. It gave me an automatic upgrade to a 2 bedroom deluxe.

I don't have time to keep testing to see what the answer is so if anyone knows it would be appreciated.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Jim, you have different (better) options as a Presidential Reserve owner. I believe you are being given the option to take anything bigger (so a 3 Bedroom Deluxe would fit the bill) or only a presidential.

I am a Founder. I don't see those options at Bonnet Creek (and am quite certain I'd upgrade to a 3 bedroom deluxe vs presidential if a deluxe were available (that is the way instant upgrades work for me at Bonnet Creek). There are resorts where I am give an option - Great Smokies for example. I don't know who sets upgrade paths, so I guess be aware it may differ from resort to resort.

As a Founder, at Bonnet Creek, a 1 Bedroom Presidential will upgrade to a 2 Bedroom Deluxe. I wish we had the ability to choose presidential only, but we do not. I believe that unless you are Presidential Reserve, you risk losing a presidential unit and getting a deluxe. (now for the whine - a benefit we lost with the introduction of Voyager - a 1 Bedroom deluxe used to upgrade to a 1 Bedroom Presidential, today it will not (for Founders and below anyways)).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Oh, dear. I thought Presidential would mean I would keep presidential and get a presidential unit as my upgrade. I just booked a 1 bed pres for fall break for us, but the extra bathroom would be nice for the grandkids to get cleaned up after going to the pool (they are staying at Marriott). I have points to burn, believe me.

The people at the front desk at Bonnet Creek told me that an upgrade to a regular room would never upgrade to presidential, but I told them our daughter did it. She booked a regular 2 bedroom and received a 3 bed presidential as an upgrade. They said it would never happen again. All I can say is baloney.

RENTER

Reaction score
At other resorts when I want a balcony, when I booked a 2 bedroom with a balcony the automatic upgrades will give me a choice if I want a better view, or a 3 bedroom with or without a balcony. If I do not get the automatic upgrade, I decline an upgrade in the future because I have no choice and it may be a 3 bedroom without a balcony.

The only time I have been given a choice on potential future upgrades is when I book a mobility room and there is no automatic upgrade at that time. Then when I check off that I want a potential future upgrade it asks if I want to keep it a mobility room or not.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
When I get the automatic upgrades, it tells me what rooms I can select. but I think you are taking a risk when you do not get the automatic upgrade and check off upgrade me to a larger room. Then they may give you the deluxe 3 bedroom. I could be wrong but I have never seen room choices when it is not an automatic upgrade

I'm talking about auto upgrades outside the 60 day upgrade window -- no upgrades are currently available. When I book a 2BR Presidential unit, I've thought about opting for an upgrade to a Presidential unit but I don't know how the upgrade logic works. It could say, "Owner obviously wants a larger Presidential unit," or it could say, "Owner is a dumba$$. He already has a Presidential unit."

If inside 60 days, and if there are several units available, I might get a choice of a 3BR Deluxe, 3BR Presidential, and highly unlikely, 4BR Presidential if there were no 3BR units available. As an aside, when a unit two grades higher is available but there are smaller units in the the middle (e.g., booking a 1BR and both 2BR and 3BR units are available), I have tried to book all the units in the middle to get them out of the way and have actually been successful a few times.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Auto upgrades will automatically match to a larger unit and you have no choice to reject the deluxe. If you don't want to risk getting the larger deluxe and losing the presidential, don't click on auto upgrade. Same hold true if you have an ocean front unit and click size upgrade. The system will upgrade you to the first larger unit available to you regardless of view.

I believe presidential reserve members, who book presidential reserve units, have the option to only take the presidential reserve upgrade and the system will ignore the deluxe units.

My belief is the system was designed this way so that fewer VIP's will opt in for the upgrades and yet they are still making "upgrades" available.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Auto upgrades will automatically match to a larger unit and you have no choice to reject the deluxe. If you don't want to risk getting the larger deluxe and losing the presidential, don't click on auto upgrade. Same hold true if you have an ocean front unit and click size upgrade. The system will upgrade you to the first larger unit available to you regardless of view.

I believe presidential reserve members, who book presidential reserve units, have the option to only take the presidential reserve upgrade and the system will ignore the deluxe units.

My belief is the system was designed this way so that fewer VIP's will opt in for the upgrades and yet they are still making "upgrades" available.

I agree with para 1 and that's exactly the way I do things.

The point of para 2 is that a PR owner who books a PR unit will not be "upgraded" to a larger unit but one that is not PR, which makes sense. Despite being a PR owner, I rarely book PR units but if I did and were "upgraded" out of a PR unit, I'd be beaucoup cheesed off!

Thanks!

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zeke has it right above. if you only want to upgrade to a Presidential unit, you check the Presidential box only and you’ll only get upgraded to a larger Presidential Reserve unit
If you pick larger unit, it will upgrade to 3BR deluxe or Presidential.
Or if you pick no preference, it will also upgrade to either

Pink_Warrior

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, I have noticed that at WBC specifically, when I opt in for PR, it will fulfill with a standard presidential unit. That being said, they have been assigning PR owners to tower 6 anyway so it may not make any difference there. However, there are other PR resorts that it will make a huge difference.

I was at WBC last month. Other than an absolutely disgraceful public relations session in the owner's lounge in tower 6 during fireworks, there was a change that it NOT GOOD. It seems as though they have changed the "fireworks viewing" unit to the owner's lounge in 6. So while it used to be pleasant, now it seems to be open to the public. I saw drunks (and drinking) as well as thorough abuse to the coffee machine and the pool tables. Certainly do expect MF to increase for WBC PR owners.

I was so angry (as were other owners) with this public relations spectacle that I went downstairs to find a manager. That being said, Annie Roberts followed me out of the lounge to apologize. Everything was in poor taste and with blatant disregard to the actual owners that were there. At one point they popped the cork from a champagne bottle with disregard as to where that cork was aimed. It ended up between my daughter's feet (which she was unaware of until she stepped on it and stumbled.) Mama Bear didn't learn this until we were back in the unit for the evening which was probably a really good thing.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Jim, you have different (better) options as a Presidential Reserve owner. I believe you are being given the option to take anything bigger (so a 3 Bedroom Deluxe would fit the bill) or only a presidential.

I am a Founder. I don't see those options at Bonnet Creek (and am quite certain I'd upgrade to a 3 bedroom deluxe vs presidential if a deluxe were available (that is the way instant upgrades work for me at Bonnet Creek). There are resorts where I am give an option - Great Smokies for example. I don't know who sets upgrade paths, so I guess be aware it may differ from resort to resort.
Yes- it does vary based upon resort. Some resorts offer "category" type upgrades where you can preserve the category as part of the automatic upgrade process, others do not. IME it's the exception that resorts honor category upgrades rather than the rule.
As a Founder, at Bonnet Creek, a 1 Bedroom Presidential will upgrade to a 2 Bedroom Deluxe. I wish we had the ability to choose presidential only, but we do not. I believe that unless you are Presidential Reserve, you risk losing a presidential unit and getting a deluxe. (now for the whine - a benefit we lost with the introduction of Voyager - a 1 Bedroom deluxe used to upgrade to a 1 Bedroom Presidential, today it will not (for Founders and below anyways)).
I've repeatedly asked about expanding automatic upgrades to include category upgrades across all applicable resorts - so for example - if you have a one bedroom deluxe unit and request an upgrade - you can choose either a larger room, or a category upgrade - such as to a one bedroom Presidential/PR unit for example. For the most part, an automatic upgrade simply offers a larger room size - regardless of any category change. I had this happen at Rio Mar once - I had a PR studio unit booked - ocean view - and was upgraded to a one bedroom mountain view unit - which we did not want since we lost the ocean view - fortunately this occurred far enough in advance that I was able to find another one bedroom ocean view unit - though it obviously cost us more points to do so since we lost the free upgrade in the process upon cancellation of that reservation.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Yes- it does vary based upon resort. Some resorts offer "category" type upgrades where you can preserve the category as part of the automatic upgrade process, others do not. IME it's the exception that resorts honor category upgrades rather than the rule.

I've repeatedly asked about expanding automatic upgrades to include category upgrades across all applicable resorts - so for example - if you have a one bedroom deluxe unit and request an upgrade - you can choose either a larger room, or a category upgrade - such as to a one bedroom Presidential/PR unit for example. For the most part, an automatic upgrade simply offers a larger room size - regardless of any category change. I had this happen at Rio Mar once - I had a PR studio unit booked - ocean view - and was upgraded to a one bedroom mountain view unit - which we did not want since we lost the ocean view - fortunately this occurred far enough in advance that I was able to find another one bedroom ocean view unit - though it obviously cost us more points to do so since we lost the free upgrade in the process upon cancellation of that reservation.
Frustrating and at some point it feels we feel okay settling with 'good enough' while not necessary as good as it should have been.

Another thing I wish they would give us back is the ability to select an upgrade if we see one come available. Thankful we still have instant upgrades when we book, but it sure is frustrating when we see upgrades later and can't do anything about it.

I had a 1 bedroom deluxe booked at the Great Smokies. It was 14 days from checkin. I saw those same nights available in a 2 bedroom presidential golf view. I called (I usually don't, but this was important to me). The VC understood, sort of. She booked the 2 bedroom presidential golf view and cancelled and refunded my points on the 1 bedroom deluxe. That was nice of her to do that, my husband loves these golf view rooms so it was worth it to me. But I should have gotten it for 40K less. I could have chanced letting the batch upgrade process run overnight and maybe upgrade it for me. What are the odds that room would have still been there? We should be able to upgrade if we see it available (and VC's should be able to do it as well). This was a big loss with the implementation of voyager (the ability to upgrade if we saw one, as well as things like a 1 br pres upgrading to a 2 br dlx type stuff).

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeke_62

TUG Member
Reaction score
@HitchHiker71 Does your connections to Wyndham IT give you any indication on the "give feedback" button? Do you think they gather data from there? If we all started asking for upgrades to go back to how they were coded pre voyager, would Wyndham pay any attention?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
@HitchHiker71 Does your connections to Wyndham IT give you any indication on the "give feedback" button? Do you think they gather data from there? If we all started asking for upgrades to go back to how they were coded pre voyager, would Wyndham pay any attention?
Yes - believe it or not they pay quite a bit of attention to the Give Feedback items. It's more a pattern analysis really - so if there's enough volume of feedback on a particular topic - that will rise above other feedback items from a visibility standpoint and is more likely to trigger their radar and get some attention/priority for future product enhancements.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Yes - believe it or not they pay quite a bit of attention to the Give Feedback items. It's more a pattern analysis really - so if there's enough volume of feedback on a particular topic - that will rise above other feedback items from a visibility standpoint and is more likely to trigger their radar and get some attention/priority for future product enhancements.
Good to know (and repeat for some of us, lol).
I'm always concerned what percentage of us are affected - VIPs and upgrades type stuff? Can we make enough noise for anyone to care?