• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Updated Metastatic - Mlignant Melonoma, Not Lung Tumor]

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So she has been to see a regular oncologist (ie at home in Albany). That doctor knew about the unusual melanoma dx. Would he/she typically do the fundic exam? Or does she need to see an ophthalmologist as well? Or will the Sloan Kettering melanoma doc suffice?

I know it's pretty near impossible to have a melanoma start in a non-pigmented tissue and so far no pigmented tissue has been identified as affected. She had had CTs of head, chest and abdomen and MRI of brain. She has 3 brain mets, one lung met large enough to be visible on rads, hundreds of small lung mets visible only on CT, and liver & adrenal mets. The biopsy was taken from the liver mass.

I am guessing the melanoma doc will go over the entirety of her skin very thoroughly. I am just not sure if I should be advising her to request an ophtho referral prior to the Sloan Kettering trip.

H

A malignant melanoma can originate from the choroid of the eye. I would probably leave the ophthalmology referral up to the oncologist. A fundus exam done with a regular fundoscope is OK for screening, but it really isn't sufficient to see the entirety of the retina and choroid.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
A malignant melanoma can originate from the choroid of the eye. I would probably leave the ophthalmology referral up to the oncologist. A fundus exam done with a regular fundoscope is OK for screening, but it really isn't sufficient to see the entirety of the retina and choroid.

As a veterinary neurologist, if I wanted to look at a fundus, I would dilate the eye & look. What I am saying is that I don't understand how it works for humans. If I ask the cousin and she had not had a dilated fundic exam, and no ophtho referral has been suggested (I'm pretty sure it hasn't), should I tell her to ask for one or will the melanoma oncologist be sufficeint?

H

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something pretty simple that perhaps you have thought about. It may be good for your cousin to get a second opinion at a prestigious cancer center like Sloan Kettering but she really needs to be treated close to home in Albany. I would venture that most cancer treatment centers have the "gamma knife" radiation option for the brain as well as standard radiation and chemo treatments. And, some chemo or radiation treatments are harder on the body than others. She should be looking at ease of some of these treatments re side effects rather than the absolute best doctor who is too far away for a very sick patient to travel to for treatment. Funtime

PS - it takes more time to "get one's affairs in order" than one thinks as we all lead complicated lives. It is time to get started.

PPS - if this is open season for her health plan, she should look into getting 20,000 in life insurance coverage through them or another source - that is the maximum I believe that a person can get without answering health questions. Sometimes it is offered with checking accounts - I know Wells Fargo offers it. Sometimes the policy only pays out in full after two years but there is a good chance that she may beat the clock. Just one more thing for her to live for!!

PPPS - see if there is a tug like "bulletin board" or list serv for melanoma victims - especially stage 1V patients - it may be a godsend to her. Also the local hospital may have a cancer support group as well as a local cancer group or Gilda's club. You - or her - should also contact American Cancer Society as they try to pair up a new patient with a more experienced patient. Patients with cancer support groups tend to do better. Besides, she will need all the help she can get - and local help at that.

PPPPS - if you decide to visit I would suggest waiting - if she has to have surgery, wait until a day or two before she gets out of the hospital if your time is limited. If you cannot visit right now, go to Target or another store and buy some good rubbermaid or other top notch storage containers so she can start making some homemade meals and soups to freeze.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Something pretty simple that perhaps you have thought about. It may be good for your cousin to get a second opinion at a prestigious cancer center like Sloan Kettering but she really needs to be treated close to home in Albany. I would venture that most cancer treatment centers have the "gamma knife" radiation option for the brain as well as standard radiation and chemo treatments. And, some chemo or radiation treatments are harder on the body than others. She should be looking at ease of some of these treatments re side effects rather than the absolute best doctor who is too far away for a very sick patient to travel to for treatment. Funtime

PS - it takes more time to "get one's affairs in order" than one thinks as we all lead complicated lives. It is time to get started.

PPS - if this is open season for her health plan, she should look into getting 20,000 in life insurance coverage through them or another source - that is the maximum I believe that a person can get without answering health questions. Sometimes it is offered with checking accounts - I know Wells Fargo offers it. Sometimes the policy only pays out in full after two years but there is a good chance that she may beat the clock. Just one more thing for her to live for!!

PPPS - see if there is a tug like "bulletin board" or list serv for melanoma victims - especially stage 1V patients - it may be a godsend to her. Also the local hospital may have a cancer support group as well as a local cancer group or Gilda's club. You - or her - should also contact American Cancer Society as they try to pair up a new patient with a more experienced patient. Patients with cancer support groups tend to do better. Besides, she will need all the help she can get - and local help at that.

PPPPS - if you decide to visit I would suggest waiting - if she has to have surgery, wait until a day or two before she gets out of the hospital if your time is limited. If you cannot visit right now, go to Target or another store and buy some good rubbermaid or other top notch storage containers so she can start making some homemade meals and soups to freeze.

Those are some great ideas, especially about the life insurance. I will definately have her ask about that. She works for the state of NY and fortunately has excellent health insurance- she can basically see whoever she wants. She told me that her HR people have been awesomly helpful so far, it sounds like they would help her with the life insurance if that is possible.

If she winds up in a trial through Sloan Kettering, her oncologist in Albany would participate and they have already told her that most of her treatment would actually happen back in Albany. There are very few treatment options for metastatic melanoma- basically the standard of care is "try to get into a clinical trial."

She has already met with her lawyer and redid her will. Her house is on the market and her first ex-husband came over and put in a new bathroom last week, to make the house more marketable. Her 26-year-old daughter (who has an awesome head on her shoulders and is an air national guard medic) has moved in with her. She has lived in the area her entire life and has a gazillion friends and acquaintences. Yesterday, a friend from work stopped by and said one of the officers from work wanted to come by too if it was ok (she works in the accounting dept of a prison). The officer went through the house making of list of everything that needing doing to get the house marketable and has already sent her a schedule of which of the officers are coming when. The receptionist at her son's orthodontoist called to let her know that she is off and Thursdays and Fridays, can take her back and forth to any appointments on those days. Her daughter was about to get deployed to Germany, but just heard yesterday that she is being reassigned to a job 15 minutes from her mother's house and her new boss expects she will be able to work at times from home. Her best friend of 40 years is a housewife and told my cousin that she has nothing to do for the time being other than help her out. Suffice it to say, they have all been a little overwhelmed by the generosity and helpfulness of friends, neighbors, bosses, acquaintences.

Oh good Lord, the one thing my cousin is NOT: a support group type of person. She is realistic and knows it will be tough. But I can guarantee a support group would never fly with her.

H

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have been through this with my mom - she died at home and we took care of her at home. She also was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

At this point, no one involved can have any idea of what an overwhelming task awaits them. It will become at 25 hour a day job. For her family's sake, she needs to accept as much help as possible, because if she doesn't, it will quickly become unmanageable, and overwhelming for her family and friends.

I highly recommend that they make an appointment with Hospice right now, and discuss everything while she still feels well enough to evaluate all her options. Most people wait too long to contact Hospice. They should also looking into cleaning people - either volunteers or a service, and home health nurses, to fill in the gap before Hospice. The doctor can provide a referral for home health care which will allow her insurance to pay for some or all of it. She wants to get these pieces in place before she actually needs them.

If they can get most of the medical and house keeping chores covered by others, this will free up the family to provide love and support, which is the most important thing they can do. We tried to do it all, and in retrospect, that was a mistake.

Last edited:

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a veterinary neurologist, if I wanted to look at a fundus, I would dilate the eye & look. What I am saying is that I don't understand how it works for humans. If I ask the cousin and she had not had a dilated fundic exam, and no ophtho referral has been suggested (I'm pretty sure it hasn't), should I tell her to ask for one or will the melanoma oncologist be sufficeint?

H

Maybe? She'll get the best exam from an ophthalmologist, but if the oncologist is comfortable with their exam then that's ok. At this stage of her disease finding the primary may be a moot point. I think DeniseM gave some excellent advice.

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is rare but melonoma can also be internal (not just eye or any other area) with no exterior signs so you may never find where it actually originated.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this is true

"The mission of Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. is to help consumers find the best healthcare. To this end, we publish a variety of books including the "Top Doctors" series, the most popular of which is America's Top Doctors®. The top doctors who are listed in our books and on this website's directory were nominated by their peers in an extensive survey process of thousands of American doctors each year. These Top Doctors' medical educations, training, hospital appointments, disciplinary histories - and much more - are screened by the Castle Connolly physician-led research team. Those doctors who are among the very best in their specialties and in their communities are selected for inclusion. Doctors do not and cannot pay to be included in any Castle Connolly Guide or online directory."

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Interesting Info about treating metastatic melanoma

I have been reading about metastatic melanoma. For most people, there are few treatment options. However, a small (about 6%) subset of people have a type of melanoma that responds very well to immunotherapy. This is interesting, because that's exactly how malignant melanoma is treated in dogs- in the past 5 years, a melanoma vaccine has been developed and it is very successful, melanoma is now something a dog can live with. In fact, just this week I saw a dog for an unrelated problem, part of the routine history was metastatic melanoma, in remission for 2 years, on melanoma vaccine.

I spoke with my personal physician, a good friend of his was in the lucky 6%- had metastatic melanoma every bit as bad as my cousin's. 3.5 years later, he is cancer-free, treatment has been immunotherapy. He was treated at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda MD by Dr. Stephen Rosenberg.

We will be contacting Dr. Rosenberg today. Cousins tumor is being tested for specific mutations to see if she is a candidate for any of these immuotherapies. Let's all hope that (on the level of her cancer) she turns out to be dog-like!

H

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish your cousin the very best of outcomes. My father's renal cell cancer with metastisis to the bone was well controlled for 4 years with use of the immune modulators. The side effects are negligible and often they can be taken in pill form. They are very expensive- one of the four my father tried was $9,000 per month.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Update: Good News!

Cousin finished brain radiation last week. She felt so normal this week that she actually went in to work for 2 days. She can't stand sitting arond with nothing to do all day.

She went to Sloane Kettering yesterday to see one of their melanoma docs. She needs to email me details, bu her tumor has been tested and she has a BRAF mutation. This apparantly means she is expected to respond to immunotherapy AND she can be treated with a new drug that Sloane was instrumental is developing. A quick google search suggests that this might be a BRAF inhibitor, one was just approved by the FDA 6 months ago for tx of melanoma.

Prognosis is apparantly way better with this mutation.

Will post more when I get the info from her and get a chance to read about it.

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Googling this, I think Sloane must have started her on Zelboraf. Here is a blurb from a US News & World Report article:

"According to the FDA, Zelboraf's approval came as part of an accelerated review program, and was based on a single international trial of 675 patients with late-stage melanoma with the BRAF V600E mutation who did not receive prior treatment. In the trial, patients received either Zelboraf or another cancer drug called dacarbazine. The median survival time after treatment was 8 months (64 percent still living) for patients in the dacarbazine group but has not been reached for patients in the Zelboraf group (77 percent still living), the agency said.
Still, not every person with melanoma will benefit from Zelboraf, and much more research is needed, the MRA's Selig said."

Details to follow in the next few days.

H

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Sloan Kettering is a great institution. You have our prayers.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to your cousin and to you. Funtime

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Zelboraf first, then probably Yervoy

Ok, here's the scoop on metastatic melanoma, all info very new (like within the past 6-8 months).

There is a new therapy, this BRAF inhibitor Zelboraf, that has amazing results in most patients with metastatic melanoma whose tumor has this BRAF mutation. In the majority of patients, tumor burden shrinks dramatically-- ie, the doctors can make all those mets go away. The medication does not seem to have major toxicity. The catch is that the tumor typically eventually develops resistance to Zelboraf and starts to grow again, usually after 6-7 months. There is of course investigation underway to figure out ways to keep this resistance from developing, but at this stage, drug resistance must be anticipated.

There is a second new therapy, a human antibody marketed as Yervoy. This drug enhances the body's own immune response to the tumor. When you look at the stats, it seems to be only somewhat better than standard chemo- 7 months survival with standard chemo versuses 10 months with Yervoy (just Yervoy alone, not in combo with other drugs). However, hidden in those stats is that the fact that some patients respond extremely well to Yervoy. Twenty percent of patients receiving Yervoy alone are still alive at 3 years; it is reasonable to expect a better survival rate in patients treated with Yervoy in combo with other treatments. Yervoy seems to be best at keeping the tumor suppressed, not at shrinking it. The big negative to Yervoy is that it can have some unintended immune effects in the body, causing serious and even life threatening toxicity in some patients.

So the game plan is treat first with Zelboraf, then a pet scan in 2 months to see how much they've knocked back the mets. If they get the dramatic response they expected, then start Yervoy. The best possible outcome is to go cancer-free with the Zelboraf, then maintain that for years with the Yervoy.

H

Last edited:

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I hope I never need it, but its so good to know.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am delighted your cousin had such a good response and that she is getting such great cutting edge care from Sloan Kettering.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Closure: Cousin passed away yesterday, Thanksgiving Day

Just to give you all the final update: my cousin passed away yesterday. She had taken both of the experimental chemo drugs mentioned unthread but eventually everything failed and she came off chemo. They had given her 6 months to live originally but she made it almost 2 years. She entered hospice last August. They thought it would be 1-4 weeks, but she lived another 4 months in the end. Pretty good quality of life until the last 7-10 days, I'd say.

When we were kids, there were four of us cousins who ran in a back. My brother John died 6 years ago at the age of 42 after a 10 year battle with brain cancer. He was a truly wonderful person- generous and thoughtful, well-liked by everybody. He was a Wall St guy but was the anthithesis of the Wall St Stereotype. Not greedy, not ruthless. Just a great job for someone who liked math, statistics, and live action. Sometimes it surprises me how acutely I miss him still.

Now Laurie is gone. She was the oldest, the leader of the pack. Smart, practical and tough, she ran a tight ship, raised two great kids. She stayed in her hometown and had an incredible circle of friends- it always made me a little wistful- I've moved around so much that most of the people in my life I've known for 5 years of less. She wove for herself a very rich tapestry of friends and family, richer than my own.

I never imagined that our little pack of wild things would be reduced so before we were even 50. You have one vision for how your life will play out when you're young and it's surprising how different it turns out to be. Ah but that's life. We grow up, we change, we move apart, then we start to lose each other to illness and death.

So here's a TUG toast to my cousin Laurie, may she remained cloaked in that tapestry she wove for all eternity.

H

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So sad for your loss. Remember the fun times .

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Our condolences on the loss of your cousin.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cousins can be as close as a sibling but without having to share them with your parents.

Sorry for your cousin's passing.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
… may she remained cloaked in that tapestry she wove for all eternity.

H

These words of yours are beautiful, truly. For whatever reason they've really touched me.

I'm sorry for your loss, H, and hoping you find peace in your grief.