• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Update Meeting incentive Ripoff

troy12n

Reaction score
My personal favorite is when DVC owners think their situation is different "because it's Disney". If I were to name a company that is the absolute best at bottling BS and selling it for rediculous amounts of money, it would be Disney hands down.

I agree completely. I have a co-worker who is the equivalent of a discovery member in DVC and is paying, and will pay, considerably more for his membership than he can pay for a resale Wyndham ownership. He's all in though because it's disney, and keeps going on about early park access, which is the only thing DVC gets you vs any other system... apparently early park access is worth more to him than being able to stay at the resorts 2-3 times as often for the same price

I'm convinced Disney is a cult

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I agree completely. I have a co-worker who is the equivalent of a discovery member in DVC and is paying, and will pay, considerably more for his membership than he can pay for a resale Wyndham ownership. He's all in though because it's disney, and keeps going on about early park access, which is the only thing DVC gets you vs any other system... apparently early park access is worth more to him than being able to stay at the resorts 2-3 times as often for the same price

I'm convinced Disney is a cult
I think it's the latest Keeping up with the Jones. It used to be just going to Disney was a big deal, but now you have to stay at the Disney resort to say you really "did" Disney.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I think it's the latest Keeping up with the Jones. It used to be just going to Disney was a big deal, but now you have to stay at the Disney resort to say you really "did" Disney.
I don't think it's the only way you can say you "did" Disney. While I could, I always exchanged into DVC using RCI for the onsite benefits - previously including the early Fastpass booking and occasionally extra magic hours, but always because of the transportation. It was absolutely worth the exchange to us for my husband to be able to use his rental scooter and roll right onto a bus or monorail. It's far more of a hassle to have to break down and reassemble it when arriving/leaving daily in our car, plus needing to do so again if he wanted to use it around the resort. And early entry - or my favorite, extended evening hours - is a value, especially if it allows you to forego buying Genie+ for a day of your stay (as it did us on our last trip). That was money in my pocket. Now, am I buying DVC? No. But there are still benefits to staying onsite, and I don't care what the Joneses do.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I don't think it's the only way you can say you "did" Disney. While I could, I always exchanged into DVC using RCI for the onsite benefits - previously including the early Fastpass booking and occasionally extra magic hours, but always because of the transportation. It was absolutely worth the exchange to us for my husband to be able to use his rental scooter and roll right onto a bus or monorail. It's far more of a hassle to have to break down and reassemble it when arriving/leaving daily in our car, plus needing to do so again if he wanted to use it around the resort. And early entry - or my favorite, extended evening hours - is a value, especially if it allows you to forego buying Genie+ for a day of your stay (as it did us on our last trip). That was money in my pocket. Now, am I buying DVC? No. But there are still benefits to staying onsite, and I don't care what the Joneses do.
This thread is being high-jacked but I don't want my comment to be interpreted as I think the only reason to stay at DVC is to keep up with the Jones. The original post was that some DVC owners do not believe they are sold a product with an inflated price. You said yourself, you would not buy DVC.
I have heard several people talking about taking their family to Disney in the last couple of years. Someone in the group listening always asks if they stayed on property. Often, if the person says no - you can see that someone in the group reacts with disappointment/disapproval. My comment was related to @cbyrne1174 original comment.

Bringing things back to we all know that you go to an update at your own risk.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Interesting post. You actively take part in a hijacking but then want to give it back, but only after saying everything you want to say. It’ll be fun to see how that works out for you.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I was just stating how shocked and whiny some DVC owners can be about perks changing from what originally was sold. They also act like it's "different from other timeshares". I will agree that it's definitely superior to a Wastegate, but there are other systems that are better to own IMO. I bought 50 points mainly so I can stay 1 night at a time in a studio just to use the amenities. I bought it for something to do on the weekend when I don't care to go to a theme park. I would never fork over tens of thousands on a vacation club. Maybe that's why the tactics don't bug me. Anything I get from an update is a bonus. I've only ever accepted points or gift cards though.

Laika_1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Kingsgate
For using RCI, setup ongoing searches to get the best results. You do not have to have points deposited to set up purchases.
There are threads in the Exchange forum for advice.
Who do I call to setup my RCI account? We just joined via my in-laws transferring to my wife.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
You paid $15 to join this website just to make that rant about something you knew would happen? Of course they aren't going to give you a week's stay in a Wyndham resort for attending an update. They give you an RCI certificate or, likely in this case, worse, which as you know has about zero value. Should have taken the cash. Or just not gone. That's what I do.
At least he joined and supports the site.

@VIPMYASS Welcome! Glad you are here. I learned long ago to be weary of any vacation vouchers, often they are useless at best. Its hard to believe that they can be so dishonest, but they are.​

weemoeway

Reaction score
I stayed at Shearwater / Bali Hai not too long ago and I ended up with a cert via gocrv.com. I haven't gone passed registering the certificate yet. Now I am wondering if it has similar worthlessness. All the possible fees aren't apparent yet. It does mention a $50 deposit and ~$199 booking fee. Unsure if there's more.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I haven't done a presentation in years. I am on the do not tour list. And, yet, do get offered from time to time. Last couple times was a card for me and a certificate for some friends staying with us, and vice versa. My thoughts are the certificates are worthless so if you are going to do a presentation, make sure you get a gift card of some sort in hand.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I stayed at Shearwater / Bali Hai not too long ago and I ended up with a cert via gocrv.com. I haven't gone passed registering the certificate yet. Now I am wondering if it has similar worthlessness. All the possible fees aren't apparent yet. It does mention a $50 deposit and ~$199 booking fee. Unsure if there's more.
The one we had restricted us to booking some number of days in the future, 60 or 90, I don’t remember. Anyway, go to the site and pretend you want to book something. It will show you what’s available and for what price. For us it was worthless, because the places we’d consider booking were available only as an “upgrade” at some ridiculous price, but as always, YMMV.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Who do I call to setup my RCI account? We just joined via my in-laws transferring to my wife.
For Wyndham owners the account is set up by Wyndham. You connect through "Deposit & RCI" menu under "My Account".
If that does not work, call Wyndham Customer Care 844-448-9315.