• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unwanted Arrival at Waiohai

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
When the governor lifted the interisland quarantine, DW and I exchanged into Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club to spend July 4th on Kauai. Instead of the usual Marriott pre-arrival email, they sent an email discouraging our arrival. Here's the quote: "we are writing today to strongly encourage you to consider canceling your upcoming reservation if you have a reservation that is arriving prior to July 31, 2020." It was bolded in the original email. A few days later, the resort called to check if we were still arriving. I told them we were since we weren't subject to the quarantine. The representative seemed very surprised we were still planning on going. I asked the status of pools and grills since I heard they were closed. The rep informed me that all pools and grills were closed and that only buildings 3, 4, and 5 were open; for those unfamiliar with the layout, those are the 3 buildings furthest from the ocean. In any event, the rep made us feel even more unwelcomed so we started looking for a retrade on II.

We found availability at Lawai Beach Resort - Banyan building. I had considered staying there in the past, so I put the reservation on hold and called the resort. The rep was very pleasant. She informed me that they have one pool and one grill (area?) open. It was a very pleasant conversation and experience. We changed our SW flights (even received a credit) and car rental. All is in place for our departure tomorrow. I realize it won't be Marriott, but I appreciate the welcoming spirit.

I'm a Lifetime Titanium member with Marriott so it takes a lot for me to stay outside the family; however, the combination of the email and conversation led me to think Marriott really didn't want us there...so we're going elsewhere. Marriott called me a 2nd time, just a few hours after I retraded for Lawai. They were calling to check if we still planned on going (again). I let them know we were going elsewhere. This rep was nicer than the previous rep. I asked a few questions about the pools, grills, and buildings. She stated the pools were closed so they could work on them. They originally planned to close them in Sep, but moved it to Jun/Jul based on the current situation. She also said the grills were closed because "nobody is staying at the resort." I told her the people in buildings 3-5 may disagree with that statement. She then clarified and stated they didn't have enough people staying to warrant having staff to clean the grills. She also stated the buildings closer to the ocean were closed to complete work that wasn't done during the last renovation (primarily putting tint on windows).

We still love Waiohai, but this was not the usual Marriott experience. Yes, I realize these aren't normal times, but Marriott should be (and usually is) better than that. We'll go back to Waiohai, but it won't be this week.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
When the governor lifted the interisland quarantine, DW and I exchanged into Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club to spend July 4th on Kauai. Instead of the usual Marriott pre-arrival email, they sent an email discouraging our arrival. Here's the quote: "we are writing today to strongly encourage you to consider canceling your upcoming reservation if you have a reservation that is arriving prior to July 31, 2020." It was bolded in the original email. A few days later, the resort called to check if we were still arriving. I told them we were since we weren't subject to the quarantine. The representative seemed very surprised we were still planning on going. I asked the status of pools and grills since I heard they were closed. The rep informed me that all pools and grills were closed and that only buildings 3, 4, and 5 were open; for those unfamiliar with the layout, those are the 3 buildings furthest from the ocean. In any event, the rep made us feel even more unwelcomed so we started looking for a retrade on II.

We found availability at Lawai Beach Resort - Banyan building. I had considered staying there in the past, so I put the reservation on hold and called the resort. The rep was very pleasant. She informed me that they have one pool and one grill (area?) open. It was a very pleasant conversation and experience. We changed our SW flights (even received a credit) and car rental. All is in place for our departure tomorrow. I realize it won't be Marriott, but I appreciate the welcoming spirit.

I'm a Lifetime Titanium member with Marriott so it takes a lot for me to stay outside the family; however, the combination of the email and conversation led me to think Marriott really didn't want us there...so we're going elsewhere. Marriott called me a 2nd time, just a few hours after I retraded for Lawai. They were calling to check if we still planned on going (again). I let them know we were going elsewhere. This rep was nicer than the previous rep. I asked a few questions about the pools, grills, and buildings. She stated the pools were closed so they could work on them. They originally planned to close them in Sep, but moved it to Jun/Jul based on the current situation. She also said the grills were closed because "nobody is staying at the resort." I told her the people in buildings 3-5 may disagree with that statement. She then clarified and stated they didn't have enough people staying to warrant having staff to clean the grills. She also stated the buildings closer to the ocean were closed to complete work that wasn't done during the last renovation (primarily putting tint on windows).

We still love Waiohai, but this was not the usual Marriott experience. Yes, I realize these aren't normal times, but Marriott should be (and usually is) better than that. We'll go back to Waiohai, but it won't be this week.

You will still enjoy your time on Kauai. LBR is not a Marriott but is still nice and in a good location. I have seen availability there with the virus and if I had more vacation, I would have grabbed a week.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This seems to be the new norm for Marriott resorts. Pre-arrival emails are more of a way to find out and hope you won't be showing up. Telling you about everything that is closed and why they generally don't really want you there. However, at the resorts, the staff seems to be pretty friendly.

Last edited:

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don’t think I would’ve let Waiohai stop me from coming. Marriott Maui sent new a generic letter from general manager strongly encouraging me to not come, interval International simply told me the resort was closed, and the Marriott Maui phone was answered mostly by security with not encouragement to come. Yes, not much is open and it’s what I had expected - somewhat of ghost town with very little open. But yes, I would expect better from Marriott. But during these pandemic times nothing is normal. Stay safe and healthy and may your trip be relaxing and enjoyable.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the norm for Marriott resorts. Pre-arrival emails are more of a way to find out and hope you won't be showing up. Telling you about everything that is closed and why they generally don't really want you there. However, at the resorts, the staff seems to be pretty friendly.
Agreed. Once we got to Marriott Maui, staff was friendly. To the extent allowed, service has been good. Housekeeping wasn’t allowed into any rooms but were very prompt in fulfilling our request for supplies.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
This seems to be the norm for Marriott resorts. Pre-arrival emails are more of a way to find out and hope you won't be showing up. Telling you about everything that is closed and why they generally don't really want you there. However, at the resorts, the staff seems to be pretty friendly.
It may be the norm now, but it wasn't before. I've received plenty of pre-arrival emails (probably not as many as you), but this was the first with this message. Interestingly, the email didn't reflect the closures. I found out about them because I asked during the call. And I agree that Marriott staffs are (almost always) very friendly. We were there in April 2019, and the staff went well out of their way to ensure we felt the Aloha spirit.
I don’t think I would’ve let Waiohai stop me from coming...But yes, I would expect better from Marriott. But during these pandemic times nothing is normal. Stay safe and healthy and may your trip be relaxing and enjoyable.
It wasn't just the email and conversation; the majority of the group wanted to use pools and grills. Had we not found LBR, we would have kept the reservation at Waiohai.

@luv_maui my neighbor will be your neighbor starting next weekend. I got a trade to MOC and passed to them via guest certificate. I also received the same type of email from MOC, but thanks to your thread we know what they can expect at MOC.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It may be the norm now, but it wasn't before. I've received plenty of pre-arrival emails (probably not as many as you), but this was the first with this message. Interestingly, the email didn't reflect the closures. I found out about them because I asked during the call. And I agree that Marriott staffs are (almost always) very friendly. We were there in April 2019, and the staff went well out of their way to ensure we felt the Aloha spirit.
Yes, I meant to say it is the new norm. I updated my post.

They no longer send out pre-arrival emails asking for villa preferences, but ratner to warn us about everything that is closed and all the stuff they are doing. We have received recent calls from the resort pre-arrival asking if we were coming and they seemed disappointed to hear that we were.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I meant to say it is the new norm. I updated my post.

They no longer send out pre-arrival emails asking for villa preferences, but ratner to warn us about everything that is closed and all the stuff they are doing. We have received recent calls from the resort pre-arrival asking if we were coming and they seemed disappointed to hear that we were.
Maybe this will change starting 8/1/20? Also, The extra $600/wk unemployment benefits currently officially stops the week prior to 7/31, so unless extended, it will stop with 7/24/20 check

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe this will change starting 8/1/20? Also, The extra $600/wk unemployment benefits currently officially stops the week prior to 7/31, so unless extended, it will stop with 7/24/20 check
Perhaps. They may be having a hard time getting staff back to the resort to work. Not really sure. Things sure did pick up here today at Cypress Harbour. A lot more cars in the parking lot.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. They may be having a hard time getting staff back to the resort to work. Not really sure. Things sure did pick up here today at Cypress Harbour. A lot more cars in the parking lot.
Here too. Went from 3-4 cars to 12. Still, no issues parking. Usually after dinner we have to have it valet parked when staying in Napili tower since Napili parking is insufficient, and I don’t want to park down by Lahaina building.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also got calls from the Marriott resorts where we had reservations in May and June. These were not Hawaii resorts, they were in Hilton head and Florida, but I did not get the impression they didn’t want us to come. I felt that they were letting us know which (few) amenities they had open, especially in May, and they wanted to give us the option to change our plans so we wouldn’t be disappointed.

It could be, that if the staff is overwhelmed, they might have a different tone in their voice…

PS. We are owners at Waiohai and buildings 3, 4 and 5 have the loveliest garden views of the koi pond. If they aren’t full, I doubt they are giving anyone the parking lot view.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I got that letter for each of my stays statting in March.

It was a rather unwelcoming toned letter. Just ignored it and stayed at MKO as usual. Now nothing was open and not even the DVD rental machines worked. Still we are fine as long as we got our room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk