• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United drags passenger off the plane because of overbooking.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What if you also showed the police a photo of your neighbor with an assault rifle, told them that he was heading for a school with guns, you knew quite well he was just going to pick up his kid? You might be liable for his injuries. A lot depends on what info the rent-a-cops were relying upon.
If any of that was true, then, yes, you would likely be liable. Of course, there is no evidence of anything remotely close to such an absurd situation involved in this case.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
United Airlines Changes Its Policy on Displacing Customers
By Richard Gonzales/ The Two-Way: Breaking News from NPR/ National Public Radio/ npr.org

"United Airlines crew members will no longer be able to bump a passenger who is already seated in one of the airline's planes.

The policy change was first reported by TMZ. A spokesperson for the airline confirms that United has updated its policy "to make sure crews traveling on our aircraft are booked at least 60 minutes prior to departure. This ensures situations like Flight 3411 never happen again."

If the crew member is not booked an hour before the flight, then he or she will have to wait for the next available flight...."

ap_17101698189714-220a1276ed4ab12bebac5f9ca6513b588df93ab3-s800-c85.jpg

Two United Airlines planes taking off at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. After a man was dragged off a United flight, the company changed its policy on overbooked flights.

David J. Phillip/AP

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rival Airlines Pounce On United's Bad Press
By Camila Domonoske/ America/ The Two-Way: Breaking News from NPR/ National Public Radio/ npr.org

"As United Airlines continues to grapple with a long-haul public relations disaster, rival airlines are pouncing on the opportunity to poke fun and promote themselves.

United has been roundly lambasted after a passenger was violently removed from a flight to make room for a crew member. The airline's initial response was widely seen as inadequate, and in recent days United has been trying to apologize.

Meanwhile, rival airlines have hastened to mock United and snag a little good PR for themselves — especially Middle Eastern airlines...."

united_wide-33fdce3e7530695abac181d51af151f1efc16a59-s800-c85.jpg

After a passenger was dragged off a full flight on Sunday, United has had to do damage control, to the delight of some competitors.

Seth Wenig/AP

Richard

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont fly Delta much but I think their process is significantly different. They don't offer anything and let "volunteers" tell them what it will take to surrender their seats. In that case it would be rare to have someone ask for the max when they know they could be easily significantly undercut. So someone might give up their seat for an easy $50. That seems to me to preclude much of a cash in. Having said that i know the bloggers wrote about a family last week that got $11000 on Delta but that involved 3 flights.

It's like merit pay. Sure their is merit pay for teachers, but no one gets it. It looks good but it is totally illusorary.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
United Airlines Debacle Teaches Valuable Social Media Customer Care Lesson
By Shep Hyken/ Leadership/ Forbes/ forbes.com

"On Monday, United Airlines experienced a customer service incident that went viral. The problem began when a flight from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked and four United employees needed to get to Louisville as they were scheduled to be on another flight the next morning. After the plane was boarded, the crew realized they needed four passengers to disembark and take a later flight to accommodate the employees who were on their way to work. As is typical for oversold flights, United offered compensation to anyone willing to give up their seat. Nobody accepted the offer, so the gate agent picked four passengers, supposedly at random, to remove from the flight. Three people got off the plane peacefully; however, one passenger said he was a doctor and had to get home to take care of patients and refused to give up his seat....

....My opinion is that the public, while they may not forgive United so quickly, will move on and begin to forget about this incident as soon as something more interesting, or at least new, comes along. This will be a blip in United’s history. The stock price will come back. Business will return to normal, but what we learned will hopefully be remembered for a long time.

And, the lesson is that a customer, or in this case a passenger, with a cell phone is like a small-scale media outlet that can broadcast anything that seems interesting (or newsworthy) to friends, family members and followers. And, if it is interesting enough to those people, they will share it with their circles. And, the next thing you know, the video a customer shared with a few friends is seen by millions of people on different social channels."

960x0.jpg

(AP Photo/Mel Evans, File)

Richard

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Getting away with stupid stuff is definitely a thing of the past. Thank God no videos , pictures, and phones back in my day.

I am amazed what people still will do in todays "recording" world and think they will get away with it. Every day we see it plastered on the news another "You can't fix stupid" moment.

Tamino

Reaction score
United Airlines Changes Its Policy on Displacing Customers
By Richard Gonzales/ The Two-Way: Breaking News from NPR/ National Public Radio/ npr.org

"United Airlines crew members will no longer be able to bump a passenger who is already seated in one of the airline's planes.

The policy change was first reported by TMZ. A spokesperson for the airline confirms that United has updated its policy "to make sure crews traveling on our aircraft are booked at least 60 minutes prior to departure. This ensures situations like Flight 3411 never happen again."

This is an interesting statement because crew members do not book themselves on flights. They are booked by the airline´s crew scheduling department at the same time the crew members themselves are notified that they must be on a specific flight. All this may occur as little as two hours before the planned flight departure but will always be in advance of any passengers being boarded.

When the airline booked the crew, apparently they were only booked as standbys meaning that the gate agent would have to sort out any oversell situation. Had the crew been booked as regular passengers, which apparently the airline now plans on doing, the oversell situation could have been resolved early before anyone was boarded.

United Airlines Debacle Teaches Valuable Social Media Customer Care Lesson
By Shep Hyken/ Leadership/ Forbes/ forbes.com

"On Monday, United Airlines experienced a customer service incident that went viral. The problem began when a flight from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked and four United employees needed to get to Louisville . . . ¨

Apparently, the crew was not a United crew at all. This flight was operated for United Airlines by Republic Airlines and the 4 crew members were Republic employees going to Louisville to operate a Republic flight the following morning. Republic does not offer scheduled service using its own name, it sub contracts regional service for major air carriers. Interestingly, the flight the four crew members were to fly was one that Republic was operating for Delta Airlines as Republic has contracts to operate regional service for both United and Delta.

United Airlines took the blame for this unfortunate incident and appears responsible but ironically, had little to no direct involvement with the handling of the situation.

Two things I find intriguing in this whole mess:

1. The general public seems to dislike airlines and is ready to believe just about anything that justifies their perceptions.

2. The news media can be very lazy in how they present their stories. Some call this media bias, perhaps it´s nothing more than sloppy reporting. Sometimes there is a lot more behind a story than just someone´s mobile phone video.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... The news media can be very lazy in how they present their stories. Some call this media bias, perhaps it´s nothing more than sloppy reporting.

It may also be that journalists being taught to dumb-down news stories.
In a journalism class, I was told that stories should be told in simple terms at an 8th-grade level, and to assume that by the end of 2nd paragraph, the audience will think they know all they need to know. Salient details which are not considered essential are relegated to the discard pile.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It may also be due to journalists being taught to dumb-down news stories.
In a journalism class, I was told that stories should be told in simple terms at an 8th-grade level, and to assume that by the end of 2nd paragraph, the audience will think they know all they need to know. Salient details which are not considered essential are relegated to the discard pile.
Sad.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think they are taught to dumb down anything, I believe they write headlines and stories to generate controversy and spark arguments.

there is no profit in boring uncontroversial stories...those dont bring tens of thousands of comments and or millions of clicks to the site.

print newspaper is dead...and in the online world...every visit to a site is worth money....these sorts of stories are quite literally a goldmine for newspapers! the more controversial (regardless of which side of the fence the story is written on) the better!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Apparently, the crew was not a United crew at all. This flight was operated for United Airlines by Republic Airlines and the 4 crew members were Republic employees going to Louisville to operate a Republic flight the following morning. Republic does not offer scheduled service using its own name, it sub contracts regional service for major air carriers. Interestingly, the flight the four crew members were to fly was one that Republic was operating for Delta Airlines as Republic has contracts to operate regional service for both United and Delta.

United Airlines took the blame for this unfortunate incident and appears responsible but ironically, had little to no direct involvement with the handling of the situation.

Two things I find intriguing in this whole mess:

1. The general public seems to dislike airlines and is ready to believe just about anything that justifies their perceptions.

2. The news media can be very lazy in how they present their stories. Some call this media bias, perhaps it´s nothing more than sloppy reporting. Sometimes there is a lot more behind a story than just someone´s mobile phone video.
The flight crew might have been Republic, but I would be amazed if the gate crew was not United. And it was the gate crew that made the decision to board the Republic employees and off-board the four passengers.

So it seems to me that the blame is rightly placed on United.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The flight crew might have been Republic, but I would be amazed if the gate crew was not United. And it was the gate crew that made the decision to board the Republic employees and off-board the four passengers.

There's a possibility the gate folks are a third party company. Pretty unlikely at one of United's main hubs but at smaller airports, the gate agents are all from a separate company that staff different airline gates. They just wear different uniforms depending which airline they support and who contacted with the third party to perform ticket, boarding and arrival. Just another quirk in "who dun it" if something bad happens.

Cheers

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

I think there is enough blame to be spread around.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
So now a similar incident on United: A couple sat in economy plus seats and wouldn't move back to regular economy, refusing crew instructions. A federal officer was summoned and they left the plane.

Strange the similarities and differences to Dr. Dao's incident.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So now a similar incident on United: A couple sat in economy plus seats and wouldn't move back to regular economy, refusing crew instructions. A federal officer was summoned and they left the plane.

Strange the similarities and differences to Dr. Dao's incident.
Do you know if they paid for the economy plus seats? I have encountered people in economy class seats simply moved themselves up and the crew said nothing.

Tamino

Reaction score

The gate agent could have been an employee of United but either way, the agent was simply implementing the Untied policy. Apparently Dr Dao had originally exited the airplane along with the three other passengers to make room for the crew. I do not know if he did so as a compensated volunteer or not. However, it was when he realized that he could not be accommodated on a same day flight to Louisville and would not reach his destination until the following day that he rushed back onto the aircraft, took his original seat, and refused to move.

We might agree that what made this story unique was what happened next, his being forcedly removed from the aircraft by the Chicago airport police. At this point, no airline; not United, not Delta, not Southwest dictates how the police should or should not perform their duties.

I believe the details of the event will eventually emerge in print but it is too late for any explanation to come from United. Anything that United says other than they are sorry and anything that they might do other than implement a procedure to preclude a future event of this type will only sound like a hollow excuse or an insincere cover up.

If one pauses to examine all of the facts, and most will draw decisive conclusions on little more than the mobile phone video, there is plenty of blame to be shared among all of the parties.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It may also be that journalists being taught to dumb-down news stories.

"50% of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level and 45 million are functionally illiterate and read below a 5th grade level"

http://literacyprojectfoundation.org/community/statistics/

Thus, if you want to actually present information to "the public" you HAVE to dumb it down.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you take a look at their short-term stock price relative to other carriers, they are getting hit very hard. The incident occurred on April 9. Since the market was closed, comparing the close on April 7 to the end of the close today:

UAL -4.42
AA +4.78
LUV -.27
DAL -1.68
JBLU -1.47

So yes, the fall out continues..

Ok, we'll agree to disagree then. It closed on Friday, April 7th, at $70.88 and closed yesterday, April 17th, at $70.77 for a total drop of 11 cents since the incident occurred - up till the close yesterday.

Then today, it fell $3.02 (-4.27%) to $67. I wouldn't classify a one day drop of 4%, 9 days later after the incident occurred, as a major fall out. Let's agree to evaluate it in a week and see the real impact, if you're still concerned about it. Shoot, it may even fully recover tomorrow.

jestme

Reaction score
The GTAA (Toronto's international airport, YYZ) is privately run. Every day, between 5% and 25% of flights are cancelled for some reason. That costs the GTAA money.
Perhaps they should overbook the runways and gates using an algorithm to compensate for this loss of revenue. Then, if all the flights actually do show up, some (I would suggest focusing on airlines that overbook the most) get told "sorry, but you cannot be accommodated at this time because of runway / gate overbooking. You can either try to land later, or go to another airport." (Which also may be overbooked). The airport would give them a "voucher" though.
It may be a good business practice for airlines, but I'll bet they wouldn't like it to happen to them.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I think the moral of the story is, know your rights, both as passenger and airline. As for UAL, understand the public is not only listening, they're recording.

In the end it will all come down to $$. The public might voice loud indignation over how UAL handled the problem but, if a UAL flight is $5 cheaper, they'll still book UAL.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The public might voice loud indignation over how UAL handled the problem but, if a UAL flight is $5 cheaper, they'll still book UAL.

I just spent $10 more on a car rental becuz it was Hertz, not Thrifty... So there is hope for us, yet.