• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United drags passenger off the plane because of overbooking.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Im also going to need 4 volunteers to take over some westgate timeshare ownerships from the marketplace.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Im also going to need 4 volunteers to take over some westgate timeshare ownerships from the marketplace.

You would have to drag me, kicking and screaming, to the closing on those. ;)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
HAHAHA!!! Today I hate everything in the world except Brian's post looking for Westgate volunteers. Well done!

You hate everything in the world? That's a lot of hate for sure.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
shes going to hate alot more when she finds out shes volunteer number 2!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
You hate everything in the world? That's a lot of hate for sure.

You're telling me!

I finally finished scraping the wallpaper in two rooms, getting them ready for the painters to come in next week. Now I can concentrate on our granddaughter's first birthday this weekend (where does the time go?!?!) and how to get out of Brian's forced Westgate purchase. :D

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Does the doctor's past really have anything to do with this? I don't think so. He is a human being and was treated badly after paying money for a seat. That is how I see it.

As for cancelling the entire flight, that sounds rather childish. "Well, if you won't play the game, we are done with all of you."

Wrong doctor smeared, according to the news.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
I posted what i did about his background in response to the post that called him "the good doctor." I said I was sympathetic to him but he is not really Mr. Clean and I think people see it that way. He is a paying customer-that alone means he should be treated with respect but don't think he is not without his own history. If that history is correct, I feel less sympathetic to him than I otherwise would.

The idea of canceling the flight is not as unreasonable as you may think. It solves the problem and then United can do what they want including offering a new flight but with restricted access. Of course, you would not do this all the time but it would work in a heirarchy of actions to avoid this PR disaster. Of course soliciting "volunteers" for pay outs up to FAA limits would be a first step, but additional procedures need to be in place if that is ineffective. Canceling the flight altogether would empty the plane without incident. Many people blame United CEO, Munoz for this, but the truth is he is much better than his predecessor. I used to be a UA 1K but stopped flying them due to customer service issues.

What i think is wrong is that the airport police are suspended for doing what they were ordered to do. They were told to get him off the plane and I don't think they were given any conditions. Also once it started not a single UA employee said stop or tried to intervene. It is a case of the little guy paying the price for the action they were ordered to do.

United will have to settle this and probably not at trial. The Dr. Has one of the top lawyers in the nation representing him. As an attorney, I can tell you he will get a substantial money settlement that will mean he will never have to work again. I am sure the press conference is a tactic to improve the chances of that huge settlement.

Really?
Security acted like thugs. That's Chicago style of security for you.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This thread is getting way too many posts -- I can't keep up.
Some of you need to leave.

On the idea of cancelling the flight and getting everyone off:
The flight crew and the crew needing to travel would have the plane to themselves
... along with a lot of liquor bottles. Party time!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
You're telling me!

I finally finished scraping the wallpaper in two rooms, getting them ready for the painters to come in next week. Now I can concentrate on our granddaughter's first birthday this weekend (where does the time go?!?!) and how to get out of Brian's forced Westgate purchase. :D

I am pretty confident that you don't hate the baby granddaughter. ;)

Your new Westgate ownership, OTOH, now there I can see the hate...

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the idea of cancelling the flight and getting everyone off:
The flight crew and the crew needing to travel would have the plane to themselves
... along with a lot of liquor bottles. Party time!

Something similar to this??? :)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This was written by someone who claims to be A pilot's wife, not THE pilot's wife. So I am not sure why it should be considered any more accurate than any of the millions of opinion posts that are on the internet right now.

And no, he was dragged off the plane initially, and then ran back on the plane - kind of a strange thing to do IMNSHO.

A pilot's wife tells another side of the story. (So this guy was forced off after he ran back into the plane???)

https://thepilotwifelife.wordpress....thoughts-from-a-pilot-wife-about-flight-3411/

geekette

Reaction score
This was written by someone who claims to be A pilot's wife, not THE pilot's wife. So I am not sure why it should be considered any more accurate than any of the millions of opinion posts that are on the internet right now.

And no, he was dragged off the plane initially, and then ran back on the plane - kind of a strange thing to do IMNSHO.
Not so strange if you've suffered a concussion. He wanted to go home, that's what he kept saying. He knew the way home was that plane.

A bonk on the head causes weird behavior. My boyfriend got hit in the head by a ski lift. He was messed up for a very long time, very strange behavior, weird outbursts out of nowhere, invented slights against him, etc. I was lucky that his doc insisted he bring me a booklet for loved ones of the injured.

geekette

Reaction score
Exactly. I don't care if it was the Pope or Charles Manson. Not relevant.
Exactly.

We should not be going down the road of victim blaming. Quite possibly another pax on the plane had something worse in their history. Should that person have been harmed even more?

Should we have to submit our "permanent record" to fly now so they can determine which pax should be harrassed or denied boarding? Should persons with misdemeanor crimes be subjected to the most extensive genital search by TSA while uncaught felons don't undergo it? Should my college dean's list outweigh the GED graduate's right to keep their paid-for seat?? Where does it end??? He's a CUSTOMER. Not an applicant for pilot. not a terrorist.

This guy did nothing wrong. he bought a ticket, he sat in his seat.

Between airline thugs and TSA, I'm staying on land into the foreseeable future. I just don't need this in my life.

geekette

Reaction score
Or what would have happened if one of the four "randomly selected" passengers who were asked to give up their seat ended up being an 83-year-old lady who had a cut rate ticket with no frequent flier status? I'm guessing the gate agent would have found a different "solution".
This is the scary thing! My 84-yr-old mother is deaf in one ear. They could be demanding compliance on "her wrong side" and take it as non-compliance and rough her up. This is troubling stuff.

When did we start using bouncers for non-violent non-offenses?

geekette

Reaction score
In the midst of all of this furor, I think we should give credit to the United management for recognizing the PR disaster they created and adroitly figuring out a way to turn it positive. Knowing that what passengers really want is low fares, they are introducing a new fare class with their absolutest lowest ticket prices. It's going to be class KO; passengers in this class will be subject to forced removal. Passengers will now be able to choose between "red-eye" and "black-eye" flights.

I understand that they've hired the guy who used to do the Verizon "can you hear me now?" commercials to be the spokesperson for the new fare. They're prepping some ads that will show him sitting in various planes, greeting the flight crew with hands to his face, saying, "Can you beat me now?"

Pretty savvy way to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, don't you think?
I think I will hold out for the bean bag seats in the cargo hold...

geekette

Reaction score
I am shocked by the number of posts siding with United. No human being, who is not in the process of committing a crime, should be treated in this way, let alone a paying customer. I hope the doctor gets a good lawyer and receives enough compensation to insure a comfortable, maybe even luxurious, retirement.
because with that head injury, he may never work again.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

geekette

Reaction score
Because if upping the ante is the only solution that anybody is comfortable with, and every flyer learns that the airlines'/gate agents' only option is to keep upping the ante, eventually the bump compensation is going to soar into the stratosphere and every single new threshold is going to result in ticket prices soaring ever higher. Taking away the airlines' right to involuntarily remove passengers when things get stupid is not the answer.
Then perhaps the overbooking and bumping for flight crew will end. Just as (most) everyone has a price at which they will agree to be bumped, there is also a choice of max rate of what to pay for your seat in the first place, or not fly. It will be the overbookers that customers turn away from with extremely high prices. High price + high chance of bump? No thanks, I'll take a sure seat at a lower price elsewhere. And United might try that, too, Guaranteed Seat Pricing, a whole new way to extort! If that plane is leaving, you're on it. Maybe that gets popular, narrowing the bump pool. Maybe a GSP holder that agrees to be bumped gets extra bump perks that are dbl the worthless flight bucks.

Each provider can run their business how they like, and I'm in favor of more competition via upstarts. Let the market sort it out. I'm not keen on paying for something well in advance of when I need it, then finding I can't have it at the last minute. I don't want excuses or change of plan, I want what I paid for months ago, days ago, hours ago, whatever. Failure to produce has consequences; people do vote with their wallets.

I am not a fan of jam-packed flights where the unlucky last to board can't have their carry-ons (don't get me started on the giant crap people are jamming in teh overheads...) and being a small person I have been crammed in that back corner more than once. I would rather fly a line that doesn't insist on overfull. Pax cabins are not generally laid out for normal size people comfort.

There is also a choice to avoid the increasingly-invasive TSA by staying on land. Not long until the self-driving cars make a lot of short-hop flights unnecessary, and especially when I'm retired, I'm a-ok with long road trip to other side of the country. I like driving, but taking a snooze through some of the desert would be safer on autopilot.

A man was hurt badly. It didn't have to go like that. A concussion is a serious life-impairing injury. There should have been better behavior by all involved.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What should an airline do when a person who gets bumped ultimately refuses to leave the aircraft?

Sorry but there is always someone who will get off a flight if you offer enough. $800 for me- to miss a day of work? I'm sorry, I would lose way more in income that that with a day off work.

@SueDonJ, you are concerned about the delays of maybe 100 people on a single flight out of Louisville. But remember that physician who was dragged off the flight may have had 20 appts booked that next day, so you're automatically inconveniencing at least 20 people, perhaps more. Also the physician's office staff who have to work late some other day that week, and each one of their childcare providers, and the employers of the patients who must now give the employee another few hours off to get to the doctor.

And so on. This is why it is way better to offer compensation until you have volunteers. Passengers have a much better sense of how urgently each of them needs to get to their destination. Miss your mother's funeral? Not worth $800. Miss two midterm exams? Not worth $800. Miss a day of work when you are a solo practitioner MD? Not worth $800. Get home a day late when you're retired? Worth $800 or $1000 for sure. Or a college student with no exams? Or even an employee at a regular place of employment where you're a cog who can be done without for a single day with little impact? Those people will eventually bite if you offer enough. Do it and avoid the miserable publicity.

Find a reasonable solution vs resorting to violence.

Precisely. This should be just a commercial issue. Airline sells ticket. Airline does not provide transportation in accordance with ticket. Airline is responsible for damages resulting from breach of contract.

This is only an issue because airlines have colluded with the government to create an artificial world where they are shielded from paying the full damages resulting from denying transportation to a passenger. If the airline had to pay those costs, I'm sure that the airline would find a way to be sure that they minimized that liability. And the easiest way to do that is via the escalating auction, with people who accept that offer agreeing that taking the compensation is adequate compensation for the damages incurred.

If airlines were forced to pay the consequences for bumping passengers, I believe that we would see them selling tickets based on whether or not a passenger was subject to bump. Of course a non-bump ticket would cost more. But passengers would then be the ones making the decisions about whether or not to take a bump, based on their personal situation.