• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United Airlines Promotion/Electronic Certificate code?

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was looking on the United site today and I noticed there is a space for a promotion/electronic certificate code. Does United have regular promotions whereby one could receive a code for discounted airfare? Or is this rare/limited to gold or platinum members?

Thanks for any info!

Sharon

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the most common are the electronic certificates that come with an Entertainment book. However, fares obtained without such certificates are often (or perhaps usually) lower than with the certificates.

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have some codes from the 2006 Entertainment book but they are not usable until 8/1/2006 to December 31, 2006. Discounts are $25, $50, and $75 depending on the ticket price. Good only on the lower United Coach fare codes. By the time I get to August I will have forgotten I have them.

Short

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
short said:
I have some codes from the 2006 Entertainment book but they are not usable until 8/1/2006 to December 31, 2006. Discounts are $25, $50, and $75 depending on the ticket price. Good only on the lower United Coach fare codes. By the time I get to August I will have forgotten I have them.

Short

Short, that code is good from 8/2005 'til 12/31/2006. You can use them now, we have. And, we've purchased some Entertainment books just to get the electronic code :)

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides elite promos, UA often does promos with its hotel partners. I recall a SPG and Hilton promo last year with a e-cert for 10% off or something like that.

As Dave said, ual.com sometimes doesn't digest e-certs well, spitting back prices that are higher than without the cert. I believe you can book online and then call and have the cert applied. If it doesn't work out the way you like, you always have 24 hours from booking to cancel with no penalty.

I recently received a 10% off e-cert for Australia and got it to correctly apply (online) to a sale "K" fare UA had for March. So, I went to Melbourne for a day for 658.00 r/t all-in. BTW, the discount is only applied to the base fare, at least the one I used.

Pat

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

I've been trying to look at fares on the United site and it's frustrating. A fare will come up for the dates I specified, but when I click on it, it says "no longer available". This has happened for a whole page of fares so far!

I've seen this type of thing on the budget websites before, but never on an airline website.

Sharon

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
heh, some of us have evolved beyond the requirement for proper names, hence, "the bomb", "the chicken", "RAR!", etc... :D

I booked it on the bomb (after about 10 tries), had to use the chicken at the airport because the online chicken wouldn't let me check in, and then they substituted my A320 with RAR! 32s metal.....ah, life in the friendly skies...

Pat

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
camachinist said:
heh, some of us have evolved beyond the requirement for proper names, hence, "the bomb", "the chicken", "RAR!", etc... :D

I booked it on the bomb (after about 10 tries), had to use the chicken at the airport because the online chicken wouldn't let me check in, and then they substituted my A320 with RAR! 32s metal.....ah, life in the friendly skies...

Pat

As usual, I have no idea what this entire post means...lol!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rough translation (my notes are bold):

camachinist said:
I booked it on the bomb (ual.com) (after about 10 tries), had to use the chicken (check-in kiosk) at the airport because the online chicken (check-in feature) wouldn't let me check in, and then they substituted my A320 (a type of plane) with RAR! 32s metal (a "Ted" - UA's low-cost division - all-coach airplane).....ah, life in the friendly skies...

Pat

taffy19

Reaction score
camachinist said:
I recently received a 10% off e-cert for Australia and got it to correctly apply (online) to a sale "K" fare UA had for March. So, I went to Melbourne for a day for 658.00 r/t all-in. BTW, the discount is only applied to the base fare, at least the one I used.

Pat
Pat, why one day only in Melbourne? What a waste of a ticket and a long, tiring flight. I would have at least made it a long week-end and see something of Australia. You are talking of Melbourne in Australie, aren't you? :)

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's what mileage runs are all about: Taking a plane trip for no other purpose than earning frequent flyer miles and/or a higher status level in a frequent flyer program.

A number of us here take such trips with regularity. For example, Pat H and I flew to Singapore last fall, stayed one day and came back. With bonuses, we each earned close to 70,000 FF miles for the trip and Pat earned a higher status level with the airline. I took another trip to Singapore in March, staying only long enough to wait for the next plane back!

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is too funny about United. I have flown them for years.

One of the more interesting things I have learned about on the board is mileage runners. After being sent back to general status for a month, I can see why you would consider doing this.

Keep those stories coming. I especially like the plane switching story. You are never quite sure what aircraft you will end up on. I have often wondered how/why/who this is determined. By people in a room looking at computer screens and flight loads?

taffy19

Reaction score
Dave M said:
That's what mileage runs are all about: Taking a plane trip for no other purpose than earning frequent flyer miles and/or a higher status level in a frequent flyer program.

A number of us here take such trips with regularity. For example, Pat H and I flew to Singapore last fall, stayed one day and came back. With bonuses, we each earned close to 70,000 FF miles for the trip and Pat earned a higher status level with the airline. I took another trip to Singapore in March, staying only long enough to wait for the next plane back!
Dave, I am never too old to learn the tricks of the trade. ;) How interesting, but I would want to have a glimpse of what is around in that neck of the woods. It must be a good deal to you guys otherwise you would not do it. :)

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave M said:

Dave,

I have considered becoming a mileage runner but everytime I calculate the cost of doing this I come the the conclusion that the cost per mile is not worth it. After adding in the auto cost of driving to the airport, parking, food while waiting for the plane, books to read, the value of my time lost, I come to about 15 cents per expected mile.

So I have come up with a better way of getting elite benifits without mileage running. It is called buying a first or business class seat. Wow! Who would have thought there was such an easy way of jumping in line ahead of all the elites.

One benefit of this stratagy is that I no longer have to be loyal to one airline. I can shop the best price and route available. My new project is to find ways to get these at a discounted price.

Don't tell anyone about my discovery. I don't want hoards of flyertalk folks discovering my strategy and spoiling it.

Short:D