• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unit Availability Via Points at Old Weeks Resorts

gelinasrj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I converted a week at Newport Overlook to points a couple of years ago and am questioning whether that was a good move. We like the resort and was hoping that we could use it at different times rather than the same week every year. When searching on the Wyndham web site, nothing ever seems to be available. My thought is that since this was originally sold as a weeks resort and that for a few years, RCI was trying to get owners to convert to the RCI points system (before Wyndham iitiated their own points system) that there really aren't many units available (even in the rest of Newport). Does anyone know if there is any information on the number of units available via points at Wyndham resorts? If there are few units available, I may be better off going back to my fixed week and using RCI exchanges to get our Newport vacations.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I converted a week at Newport Overlook to points a couple of years ago ..

Did you make your points RCI points or Wyndham Vacation Resorts points? How many points do you have?

I am showing availabity through the Wynhdam Vacatioin Resorts points system. I ran a 7 day stay for the first available date and this is what came up.

01/14/2012 7 2 Bedroom Regular Point 77,000 VIP Platinum Points 38,500

To continue with your online reservation, please click on the "Select" button next to the unit type you desire.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the resort fast facts above the points chart for your resort. For Newport Overlook you will see "Very Limited Number of Accommodations"

I own at the Avenue Plaza Resort in New Orleans. There are 254 rooms here, most are unconverted floating weeks. The points owners directory for this resort says that there are a very limited number of rooms available to points owners here. Very limited is defined as less than 10

So you can see 10 units for points owners 244 for us weeks owners. I called today to make a reservation..nothing is available for July 4th weekend for points owners...lots for me to choose from as a weeks owner

Newport Overlook carries the same very limited designation...so less than ten units available for points reservations in any given week

By the way.."limited " is less than 50

Last edited:

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newport and Jamestown, generally, for points owners has good availability, assuming you look somewhat in advance, for weeks 36-24. Prime summer weeks not being available. Early on when Fairfield/Wyndham took over few owners of those weeks converted, why would they, made no financial sense.

Now, there is some availability during those summer weeks but you have to be diligent in the searching.

If you converted a week you should have ARP privileges for that week but will need to call Wyndham to exercise the right at 13-10 months before. Wyndham conversions assume you will use the Wyndham points unless the ARP is exercised.

It depends somewhat on what week was converted whether to use ARP or not.
The Wyndham Directory, for all resorts used to say "very limited availability" meaning 10 or less units available.

What times are you looking for, like I said most times except Summer are available 10 mths out even things like MA April vacation week, Memorial Day weekend etc.

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If the distribution of reservations is being done as it should be then the availability of time other than what you converted to points is limited to those periods that others also choose to convert. The times that remained in the weeks system are / should not be available to points owners - and points converted weeks not available to weeks owners - as they are no longer in the pool. If few weeks have been converted then only a few use dates will be potentially available to you as a points owner. After applying the various priorities that number may be very small. If most of the resort weeks have converted - common for those that were in the system when the initial conversion to points was offered VERY cheaply to virtually all owners - then the number may be quite high. If it's a later conversion or an extremely seasonal area (as yours may be) hen few or even none of the prime use weeks may have been converted while the lesser demand weeks that Wyndham deemed worthy of accepting into points have a high rate of conversion. Thus it may be that most of the available inventory for points will be the shoulder periods - not the worst of the low demand times as they may have been excluded but not the prime times either as those owners don't see a value to the cost of conversion.

Owning a non-prime Wyndham week can be a not so desirable thing while a high demand fixed week is golden and there is little to no reason to pay to convert if you own one. Thus the prime weeks at the older resorts built & sold prior to the general conversion of most new sales to points - are unlikely to ever be made available to points owners. Not the same with 100% UDI / points based resorts (the majority of Wyndham resorts now).

gelinasrj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks For Replies

Thanks for your replies. I havn't been able to figure out how to determine avaliability of units from the points chart on-line as Ron stated but the Newport resorts individually are not very large. For example Newport Overlook is only 17 or 18 units. I am beginning to think that I may be better off going back to weeks for this resort and book through RCI. At least I can then put in an ongoing search and won't have to check every day.

I have 154,000 points that should give me availability at all but during the summer months in the Newport Area. I was loking for week 21 or 22 this year but may have waited too long to try to book.

It may be hurting my cause by increasing demand BUT Newport in the spring and fall is a great destination. No swimming but walking on the beaches, fishing (you do need a license now but they are reasonably priced), great seafood. We have a fixed week in October (week 41) that we always use.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
May not be exactly your dates but there is availability at Long Wharf now in 2BRs for 7 days with check in 5/28, 6/1 and 6/2. They take 161K points, you would have to rent some from Wyndham to complete the reservation.

The 6/2 check in date is a 6 and 1 day split. You could just take the six day portion and not have to rent points.

September and October are my favourite months there also.

You do usually need to be looking right at the 10 mth mark except for deeper off season stuff to get reasonable reservations.

Staying with Wyndham to book is your best use, to use via RCI for High weeks (which is what you are talking about) you need to deposit 184K for a 2 BR into RCI which you don't have.