• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unhappy with WKORV OF unit - smell and damp carpet

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
For my job in Hawaii, I worked closely with our pest management company. We had locations on all 4 main islands and they all worked with many large hotels and resorts. They all said that each of them have roaches. They were clear that it didn't mean they had infestations.

No matter where you stay it is possible that you can come across a cockroach or two. This will not mean that they don't have a proper pest management program.

My point is you shouldn't let seeing a cockroach or two spoil your vacation. Now seeing many or a bunch of them scatter when you turn on a light, that's a different story.
Yes, this is just what I was trying to convey with my earlier posts. You did a better job of it!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have a renter at the resort right now who appears to be trying to set me up for a charge back with numerous complaints, including cockroaches and AC problems. However, when I contacted the front desk, I learned that they had refused to have their room sprayed, turned down the chance to move to two different units (same size/better views) and were not answering their phone when maintenance tried to reach them regarding the AC.

But they DID accepted a $150 resort credit!

I knew they were lying when they told me the front desk wanted them to move their party of 8 to a STUDIO! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
For my job in Hawaii, I worked closely with our pest management company. We had locations on all 4 main islands and they all worked with many large hotels and resorts. They all said that each of them have roaches. They were clear that it didn't mean they had infestations.

No matter where you stay it is possible that you can come across a cockroach or two. This will not mean that they don't have a proper pest management program.

My point is you shouldn't let seeing a cockroach or two spoil your vacation. Now seeing many or a bunch of them scatter when you turn on a light, that's a different story.
One of the worst roach infestations I saw was on the monorail at the Hilton (hotel) on the Big Island. They would crawl out from the seat cushions as people entered or left. That was pretty gross.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, this is just what I was trying to convey with my earlier posts. You did a better job of it!

Don't know if I explained it better I just tried to add what I know from my work experience here in Hawaii. :thumbup:

People often think that if they see a roach there is a cleanliness issue. While it is often an issue with many infestations, in large complexes it is common for them to just move on to another room. Which is also why they would do a whole floor. While it is possible each room may have some, it doesn't mean that all the rooms have them.

Talk to some locals, it's common in these types of climates. The large centipedes are also found here. They aren't fun either.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just about to post the same thing.
One or more infested room doesn’t mean the entire property is infested which is why reviews/experiences vary at some resorts.

In post #48, I provided examples of specific complaints about infested rooms (multiple roaches).

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Don't know if I explained it better I just tried to add what I know from my work experience here in Hawaii. :thumbup:

People often think that if they see a roach there is a cleanliness issue. While it is often an issue with many infestations, in large complexes it is common for them to just move on to another room. Which is also why they would do a whole floor. While it is possible each room may have some, it doesn't mean that all the rooms have them.

Talk to some locals, it's common in these types of climates. The large centipedes are also found here. They aren't fun either.
Once when I lived in Hawaii I pulled back the sheet on my bed and there was a huge centipede there. I assure you I did not have a pest problem, but it's the tropics. It's simply not possible to keep all bugs out all the time.

No, I did not sleep well for quite some time after that. But at least I found it with the lights on. Finding it the other way would have been a lot less pleasant.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Once when I lived in Hawaii I pulled back the sheet on my bed and there was a huge centipede there. I assure you I did not have a pest problem, but it's the tropics. It's simply not possible to keep all bugs out all the time.

No, I did not sleep well for quite some time after that. But at least I found it with the lights on. Finding it the other way would have been a lot less pleasant.

Those things bite and it can get nasty.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Yes, especially since we figured out at least 18 months ago that Covid was not being transmitted via objects and surfaces; it's almost 100% through airborne transmission. So the excuse to get rid of napkins, placemats, pens and paper, etc. is not a valid excuse and hasn't been for a long time.

I call every time and ask for napkins and placemats; they will bring you new rubbery placemats (the former cloth ones that you could wash seem to be gone) but they never bring napkins, even when you ask. Sometimes you get an extra roll of paper towels. Am I the only one that prefers a real napkin? A paper towel makes me feel like I'm in a dorm room....

First world problems, to be sure, but my gripe is that these are amenities we pay for and the initial reasons for their removal have long since vanished.

Along the line of amenities, does anyone know the status of the shuttles on Maui? Has service been restored to pre-Covid levels or is it still at reduced levels with no buses running just the resorts/Wailer's Village loop and those that are running to Lahaina stopping service early (around 8ish) and not running down to The Wharf?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Along the line of amenities, does anyone know the status of the shuttles on Maui? Has service been restored to pre-Covid levels or is it still at reduced levels with no buses running just the resorts/Wailer's Village loop and those that are running to Lahaina stopping service early (around 8ish) and not running down to The Wharf?
I’m not sure what the frequency was pre-COVID, but I took the shuttle this week into Lahaina. The shuttle stops at all the resorts (including the Sheraton and Westin hotels), Whaler’s village, the outlets in Lahaina, Cannery Mall and the Wharf (we got off here).

Shuttle runs hourly starting at around 10 am and last service leaves Lahaina at 8 pm.

overall the shuttles were pretty full.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I’m not sure what the frequency was pre-COVID, but I took the shuttle this week into Lahaina. The shuttle stops at all the resorts (including the Sheraton and Westin hotels), Whaler’s village, the outlets in Lahaina, Cannery Mall and the Wharf (we got off here).

Shuttle runs hourly starting at around 10 am and last service leaves Lahaina at 8 pm.

overall the shuttles were pretty full.
Still the reduced schedule then :(

Pre-Covid the Lahaina shuttle ran hourly with the last one leaving Lahaina around 11pm. It also used to stop on the way back from Lahaina so if you shopped at Cannery Mall you didn't have to catch one going the wrong way and ride into Lahaina and back. Only way to get back from an evening out/meal then is rideshare/taxi or walk unless you consider an evening out ends around 7.45.

The smaller resort shuttles ran on a loop at about a 15 minute frequency before Covid and this reduced strain on the Lahaina shuttle capacity although I think they now run 2 at busy times.