• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2022 ] Unhappy with WKORV-N OF View

dglvtotrvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrived yesterday at Westin Villas Resort Villas North. We own every other year ocean front villas. We upgraded in 2006 to ocean front and had full ocean front rooms. We were suppose to arrive on Friday, but arrived on Sunday, due to an emergency. I called ahead of time and they assured us that it would not affect our rooms. We have aways had full ocean front rooms with full ocean front views, no condos or villas views. Guess What? We are in a room with part ocean view and part condo view. They are calling it a full open front condo. Un NO, this is NOT a Ocean front view.Oh gusss what, now this entire building is considered ocean front. Seriously people, what a scam. We paid a fortune to upgrade, pay a fortune in maintenance fees every year and for them to tell us this is ocean front, when we have stayed in ocean front is total BS. Plus every year, I am at the computer the day before we can book and book the first week, then the second week the week after the day before we can book and book the second week. In this case, May 12, 2021, and May 26, 2021. When I found my reservation confirmation, it says I booked both weeks on June 9th, 2021.UHm NO, again. I KNOW, one time in the past when my husband messed up his schedule and we had to change our reservations 3 months out and we got a crappy room. I was upset, even thought it was our fault, but the manager was able to move us after a couple days to an ocean front room. So, I have no idea what kind of scam they are trying to pull. on owners now, to suddenly say all of building 8 is ocean front, when it has never been before... And they said, sorry if when you bought. ocean front it was misrepresented to you. I offered to take them over to the sales office and show them the room that's available for showing new clients in order to get them to buy a new time share, and it wasn't on the sides of the building. They said that it's always been this way. Which I know is another lie. Oh, and yesterday, they said a bunch of the ocean front were under renovation, today the manager never mentioned one word about renovation. I know for fact there is some kind of scam going on, from the date of my confirmation of my reservation, to the "new" all of the condos are ocean fronts now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can legally do anything about this situation. Oh and the front desk people, along with the manager, are the worst I've ever seen. Yesterday, they were really rude, just showing us the view, never saying this is ocean front, I believe because they KNOW it's not REALLY ocean front! The manager, wasn't at all like what we've had in the past either. Maybe it's the new Marriot takeover? It seems like a new "I don't really "Give a sh--" attitude".Any help or advice would be appreciated? People can also email me at dglvtotrvl@aol.com

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we had shitty customer service from top to bottom at Westin Kanaapali North about 10 years ago. We have since refused to go to any Westin Kanaapali resorts. It is not the merger. It is the mainland US employees working at that resort.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
We arrived yesterday at Westin Villas Resort Villas North. We own every other year ocean front villas. We upgraded in 2006 to ocean front and had full ocean front rooms. We were suppose to arrive on Friday, but arrived on Sunday, due to an emergency. I called ahead of time and they assured us that it would not affect our rooms. We have aways had full ocean front rooms with full ocean front views, no condos or villas views. Guess What? We are in a room with part ocean view and part condo view. They are calling it a full open front condo. Un NO, this is NOT a Ocean front view.Oh gusss what, now this entire building is considered ocean front. Seriously people, what a scam. We paid a fortune to upgrade, pay a fortune in maintenance fees every year and for them to tell us this is ocean front, when we have stayed in ocean front is total BS. Plus every year, I am at the computer the day before we can book and book the first week, then the second week the week after the day before we can book and book the second week. In this case, May 12, 2021, and May 26, 2021. When I found my reservation confirmation, it says I booked both weeks on June 9th, 2021.UHm NO, again. I KNOW, one time in the past when my husband messed up his schedule and we had to change our reservations 3 months out and we got a crappy room. I was upset, even thought it was our fault, but the manager was able to move us after a couple days to an ocean front room. So, I have no idea what kind of scam they are trying to pull. on owners now, to suddenly say all of building 8 is ocean front, when it has never been before... And they said, sorry if when you bought. ocean front it was misrepresented to you. I offered to take them over to the sales office and show them the room that's available for showing new clients in order to get them to buy a new time share, and it wasn't on the sides of the building. They said that it's always been this way. Which I know is another lie. Oh, and yesterday, they said a bunch of the ocean front were under renovation, today the manager never mentioned one word about renovation. I know for fact there is some kind of scam going on, from the date of my confirmation of my reservation, to the "new" all of the condos are ocean fronts now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can legally do anything about this situation. Oh and the front desk people, along with the manager, are the worst I've ever seen. Yesterday, they were really rude, just showing us the view, never saying this is ocean front, I believe because they KNOW it's not REALLY ocean front! The manager, wasn't at all like what we've had in the past either. Maybe it's the new Marriot takeover? It seems like a new "I don't really "Give a sh--" attitude".Any help or advice would be appreciated? People can also email me at dglvtotrvl@aol.com
As this post from 2008 shows, building 8 has been 100% designated as Ocean Front since the resort was built and opened in 2008.

All the buildings at WKORV North are at an angle to the ocean, so none except those on the very end of the two buildings (5 and 8 I think) closest to the ocean have a view of the ocean with nothing else in between. But if you look straight out your window from any units in building 8, you’ll see the ocean. That's Vistana's definition of Ocean Front. Many of those units will have the resort and pool in the foreground and the ocean in the background.

In Ocean View units, you’ll typically have to turn your head and look to the side to see the ocean. That's the difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I suggest you get yourself to Star Market for some humble pie. You're going to need to eat quite a large piece after that tirade.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
All of building 8 has always been designated Ocean Front. You may not have liked your view, but you were not scammed. The salmon colored areas on the map below are designated as ocean front - and they always have been.

Any time you arrive late for a reservation it can impact your view, because all the OF owners that checked in and complained, before you checked in and complained, got better views, because they were there first.

Suggestion: Next time, check the confirmation date the instant you get the confirmation (as soon as you make the reservation) to make sure that date is correct.

WKORV view map new.png

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
WKORV Oceanfront units are the only REAL OCEANFRONT UNITS IMO.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Then there are very few resorts that actually have oceanfront units but many are called oceanfront. Very few units (at timeshares or elsewhere) are directly on the ocean with nothing in front like at WKOVR. I think an angled unobstructed view directly looking at the ocean like at WKOVRN is as good as it gets. That view is pretty rare too.

At Marriott Ocean Club, they call rooms overlooking the pool “oceanfront.” If there is a pool in between the room and ocean, is that oceanfront?

Last edited:

dglvtotrvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest you get yourself to Star Market for some humble pie. You're going to need to eat quite a large piece after that tirade.
Maybe because when we purchased in 2006, we were shown a room in Building 5, and since then have always been in Building 5 at the end in what I call full ocean front rooms. Never have I been in a building facing condos, with only a partial ocean front view. I'm guessing that's why I was never told all of building 8 is considered ocean front rooms. I've always requested building 5, with certain room requests and have always gotten them . We own 2 weeks here and a week in Kauai Princeville. We have never used time in Kauai, always gotten extra rooms in Maui and always extra ocean font rooms in building 5. And FYI, it is not that busy here now, lots of lounge chairs available, along with pools pretty empty, compared to other times we have arrived. And NO, I'm not going to apologize for my tirade , considering when I purchased my upgrade to Ocean front, what they showed me was ocean front, what I paid for it and what I pay for ocean front maintenance fees too. The attitude of the staff is horrendous compared to the last time we were here and years previously. The Managers's attitude was pretty poor too. And it's not just the fact that we are not getting what we have always gotten, it was her overall demeanor-like she really didn't give a sh--. Never in all the time we have owned here have I seen a Manager with her behavior. They have always been polite and try to accommodate the owners, and I've seen some really rude, obnoxious owners, that demanded unreasonable requests. My request was not unreasonable, since it was I have always gotten in the past, and what I requested when I booked almost a year prior. Also there are no housekeeping services available at our stay either.

dglvtotrvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of building 8 has always been designated Ocean Front. You may not have liked your view, but you were not scammed. The salmon colored areas on the map below are designated as ocean front - and they always have been.

Any time you arrive late for a reservation it can impact your view, because all the OF owners that checked in and complained, before you checked in and complained, got better views, because they were there first.

Suggestion: Next time, check the confirmation date the instant you get the confirmation (as soon as you make the reservation) to make sure that date is correct.

View attachment 55094
Thank you for the map. We purchased our upgrade to ocean front in 2006, before Building 8 was built. That's why we were never told all of Building 8 was ocean front. You can look at my complete answer below, to the person who said I needed to eat humble pie after my tirade. I have never seen this map before. Since we upgraded we have always stayed in Building 5 in the front of the building on the 4th, 5th and 6th floors. I seriously do not understand why, this time when we can see it's not s busy as every other time we have been here , we have been put in this room. I will never recommend Westin, since it has been purchased by Marriott, because there's definitely something negative going on now, since there are no housekeeping services during our stay either. We also own other time shares, but have always raved and recommended Westin, but not anymore!!

dglvtotrvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the map. We purchased our upgrade to ocean front in 2006, before Building 8 was built. That's why we were never told all of Building 8 was ocean front. You can look at my complete answer below, to the person who said I needed to eat humble pie after my tirade. I have never seen this map before. Since we upgraded we have always stayed in Building 5 in the front of the building on the 4th, 5th and 6th floors. I seriously do not understand why, this time when we can see it's not s busy as every other time we have been here , we have been put in this room. I will never recommend Westin, since it has been purchased by Marriott, because there's definitely something negative going on now, since there are no housekeeping services during our stay either. We also own other time shares, but have always raved and recommended Westin, but not anymore!!
I called twice and spoke to the front desk and called owner services about arriving on Sunday vs arriving on Friday, and they augured me that it would NOT change our room status. My reservation was confirmed for Friday, it was their responsibility to keep the room that was confirmed on Friday for Sunday. Or they should have told me my room would have been changed I arrive late. Lying to owners is not the best practices, or maybe that's the new Marriot motto?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
At WKORVN, maintenance fees are the same, regardless of the view. Oceanfront, ocean view, island view, all pay the same annual fees.

Unless you own a fixed unit, you are not guaranteed any particular building or floor or position. You can be assigned to any unit that is designated oceanfront. Some oceanfront views are better than others and the only way to guarantee you always get a great oceanfront view is to own a fixed unit.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Maybe because when we purchased in 2006, we were shown a room in Building 5, and since then have always been in Building 5 at the end in what I call full ocean front rooms. Never have I been in a building facing condos, with only a partial ocean front view. I'm guessing that's why I was never told all of building 8 is considered ocean front rooms. I've always requested building 5, with certain room requests and have always gotten them . We own 2 weeks here and a week in Kauai Princeville. We have never used time in Kauai, always gotten extra rooms in Maui and always extra ocean font rooms in building 5. And FYI, it is not that busy here now, lots of lounge chairs available, along with pools pretty empty, compared to other times we have arrived. And NO, I'm not going to apologize for my tirade , considering when I purchased my upgrade to Ocean front, what they showed me was ocean front, what I paid for it and what I pay for ocean front maintenance fees too. The attitude of the staff is horrendous compared to the last time we were here and years previously. The Managers's attitude was pretty poor too. And it's not just the fact that we are not getting what we have always gotten, it was her overall demeanor-like she really didn't give a sh--. Never in all the time we have owned here have I seen a Manager with her behavior. They have always been polite and try to accommodate the owners, and I've seen some really rude, obnoxious owners, that demanded unreasonable requests. My request was not unreasonable, since it was I have always gotten in the past, and what I requested when I booked almost a year prior. Also there are no housekeeping services available at our stay either.
Well you asked for help or advice and plenty of people have given you theirs but obviously it's not what you wanted to hear so just keep on blaming others.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked WKORVN OF at exactly 8 months, using our star options, just to see where we would fit in the queue priority. We own at WKORV. Well……we got a 1st floor building 8 unit. Was a little disappointed but knew going in that we might not get a fantastic OF room. Front desk told us yesterday when we checked in that Saturday is the better day to reserve for check in since Sunday has less units for check in. She tried for several minutes to find us a different higher floor OF unit, but stated not possible, due to occupancy from Friday and Saturday check-ins

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
There are an awful lot of rooms designated as oceanfront, and only a small handful are on the ends of the building where I guess you prefer them. It sounds as if you’ve been lucky in the past and always gotten one of those prime end rooms, but it’s illogical to think that you are always going to have that luck.

You have a room where you look out your window and you see the pool and the ocean beyond it. You’re not looking at condos from any room in building 8, that’s clear from the map. You’re looking at the pool and the ocean, and if you turn your gaze to the left a bit, then you’re looking at building 5.

I'm pretty sure you’re not going to appreciate my suggestion, but I'd try to be grateful for all the times I’d gotten the view I most preferred, and be grateful to again have the opportunity to relax in such a beautiful place.

I own OV in WKORV, and sometimes I am lucky and get an amazing room with an amazing view, and sometimes I'm less lucky and get an amazing room with a parking lot in the foreground. I am grateful for either.

I think you’re being unreasonable to insist that only a fraction of the rooms in the category you own are acceptable to you. And I imagine you didn’t approach the staff in a way that made them feel like jumping through hoops to accommodate you.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I called twice and spoke to the front desk and called owner services about arriving on Sunday vs arriving on Friday, and they augured me that it would NOT change our room status. My reservation was confirmed for Friday, it was their responsibility to keep the room that was confirmed on Friday for Sunday. Or they should have told me my room would have been changed I arrive late. Lying to owners is not the best practices, or maybe that's the new Marriot motto?

It's natural to be upset about this but it might help to walk around WKORV and see the parking lot view to make things feel better. That, and a few Mai-Tais will hopefully put things in perspective soon, so you can enjoy your time in paradise :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You don't have to apologize for being disappointed in your view. I completely understand your frustration. You pay a lot for a great view, and to get something less than a great view can be disappointing.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
When we were at Kaanapali prior to Covid, I booked at 12-8 months for my home resort, WKOVRN OF. Then for some reason I kept tracking until 8 month window and I switched to WKOVR OF. I figured I‘d not get a great room and perhaps a lower floor. They gave us the best 1BR with windows on both sides on the top floor. That was shocking to me that we’d get what is probably a home resort unit. I doubt we will ever get that again.

We are going to WKOVRN OF next year combined with another week at MOC OF in Napili. I booked right when the 12 month window opened online. Since the online system was not working, I had to to keep trying for 40 minutes. Hopefully I was one of the first to book and we will get an end unit in B8 or B5. B8 was my first choice. We have Saturday check-ins are both resorts. Hopefully that helps too.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I’m currently have an unhappy renter in the 2nd floor in building 8. She is not happy about the studio kitchenette is too small and tree is blocking her oceanfront view. She just filed claim on Redweek asking for full refund. I understand your frustration and just let you know you are not the only one not happy at WKORVN OF right now. Take a breath and look the bright side, then enjoy your vacation.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I’m currently have an unhappy renter in the 2nd floor in building 8. She is not happy about the studio kitchenette is too small and tree is blocking her oceanfront view. She just filed claim on Redweek asking for full refund. I understand your frustration and just let you know you are not the only one not happy at WKORVN OF right now. Take a breath and look the bright side, then enjoy your vacation.
Your defense to Redweek is that all of building 8 is oceanfront according to Westin. There is no reason for you to refund anything. People make up stuff. They got a studio, and the studios have kitchenettes with nice big refrigerators. The studios are fine. I have stayed in them several times.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
OMG, can someone really get a refund based on that? The size of the kitchenette is easily obtained with a simple google search. You have no control over the landscaping. Seriously people's expectations and/or scheming abilities amaze me. Makes me wonder how many other times they have scammed an owner this way.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
OMG, can someone really get a refund based on that? The size of the kitchenette is easily obtained with a simple google search. You have no control over the landscaping. Seriously people's expectations and/or scheming abilities amaze me. Makes me wonder how many other times they have scammed an owner this way.

We exchanged into Maui Schooner in Kihei one time years ago. I knew the ocean views were distant, but I expected to have something to see. What did we get? A second floor unit with a completely blocked view - facing right into the top of a palm tree directly in front of the lanai. If it had had coconuts on it, we probably could have reached out to pick one. It even blocked the sunlight into the unit. But it didn't matter, because the air conditioning exchange unit was on the lanai itself. It was extremely loud, and blew hot air across the lanai, making it impossible to even sit out there. A miserable situation. We didn't even open the lanai door after the first few tries. We asked at the Front Desk about switching to a different unit, but they said everything was booked. It's been long enough that the top of that palm tree is probably blocking the view on the third floor now. ;)

Very disappointing, but it was the luck of the draw as an exchanger.

Dave

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is a learning experience for people who rent their units. In the future, I would put a disclaimer and advertise the unit as possibly having an ocean view but be clear some units are on a lower floor but still in front of the ocean but view could be blocked by trees. I assume because she is a guest and not an owner that she got low priority unless your time stamp was later than first day when bookings opened. If it is because she is a renter and not an owner, then this would be a good reason not to rent. People tell me I can rent instead of buy more DPs or be an owner but if this stuff happens, I would rather be an owner. There is lack of control with renting. I do not think that is clearly disclosed to renters.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

I assume this was "Verified and Protected"? I actually like the feature, and people seem willing to pay more for listings that use it - not just in fees, but also rental price. But after what happened during the early pandemic days (when "non refundable" contracts were refundable after all) and now these types of stories make me wonder if it's still worth it.

I can't believe people think they can get a free Hawaii trip by finding some nonsense to dispute. I really hope the "arbitration panel" takes your side!

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is a learning experience for people who rent their units. In the future, I would put a disclaimer and advertise the unit as possibly having an ocean view but be clear some units are on a lower floor but still in front of the ocean but view could be blocked by trees. I assume because she is a guest and not an owner that she got low priority unless your time stamp was later than first day when bookings opened. If it is because she is a renter and not an owner, then this would be a good reason not to rent. People tell me I can rent instead of buy more DPs or be an owner but if this stuff happens, I would rather be an owner. There is lack of control with renting. I do not think that is clearly disclosed to renters.

All they know is that there is a guest cert (could be family or friends). Can they really change the priority because of this? I thought the timestamp and elite status ruled room selection.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@dglvtotrvl I also own here and worry about dreaded units. I feel for you because the MF are high. We've been lucky so far but like you it could happen. We own EOY so if we have a bad unit it is a 2 year issue.

Owners should be treated with extra respect by the manager. Owners pay their salaries. You should reflect your disatisfaction in your feedback to the hotel and possibly send a letter to executives. Although not rude, I find the front desk staff to be indifferent. I have also experienced this at several MVCs (and hope this is not a trend). I feel there is an attitude of "sorry to hear this -(but sucks to be you) there is nothing we can do.". Because of this indifference and the pool hogs/rat race and MVC changes I am considering selling in the next few years.

To compare, I rarely experience this with HGVC. I always feel welcome and they are often excited to see owners. If there is an issue, we often do get some resolution or willingness to place us in a better unit when there is availability.